Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2014 5:02 AM

Nov 2013
I've watched several videos of blind people navigating the world through sound like bats. My eyes are fine but I still want to learn this ability, so far it sounds like something exclusive to blind people but seeing clearly in places your eyes can't see is very useful. Some other animals can also do it like dolphins, it might take few months to a year to get the hang of it but I'll do it. Who's with me?
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
Let's both pour acid on our eyes so we can gain super exclusive blind people powers.
Jul 22, 2014 5:05 AM

Aug 2012
Houndthree said:
Let's both pour acid on our eyes so we can gain super exclusive blind people powers.
then we can fight the baddies!
Jul 22, 2014 5:08 AM

Nov 2013
No, I want to get this power while having my normal eyesight.
I'm already reading a book on learning this.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 5:09 AM

Oct 2012
Afshar said:
Houndthree said:

One of us needs to be the side-kick. I hope you're prepared for the subsequent rock-paper-scissors battle.
Jul 22, 2014 5:10 AM

Aug 2012
GuusWayne said:
if you have your eyesight, that ability seems pretty redundant.

Houndthree said:
Afshar said:

One of us needs to be the side-kick. I hope you're prepared for the subsequent rock-paper-scissors battle.
or we can just be equal partners in crime-fighting
Jul 22, 2014 5:11 AM
Jun 2014
Not me. We have eyes for a reason
KaiwaiikillahJul 22, 2014 5:31 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Jul 22, 2014 5:13 AM

Oct 2012
Afshar said:

You have a good sense of humor.
Jul 22, 2014 5:14 AM

Nov 2013
Afshar said:
GuusWayne said:
No, how is it redunant when you can perceive more of the world than you could before. These people train the visual receptor of their brain to take in auditory frequency instead of light frequency or something like that.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 5:19 AM

Aug 2012
Houndthree said:
Afshar said:

You have a good sense of humor.
deliberately dead jokes >

GuusWayne said:
Afshar said:
No, how is it redunant when you can perceive more of the world than you could before. These people train the visual receptor of their brain to take in auditory frequency instead of light frequency or something like that.
i dont really know anything about the topic, but it sounds like it would just interfere with your regular perception
Jul 22, 2014 5:23 AM

Nov 2013
I haven't thought of it being able to interfer with my normal perception. To me it seems like you can activate it at will and complement your vision by giving you information when your eyes can't.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 5:26 AM

Aug 2012
GuusWayne said:
I haven't thought of it being able to interfer with my normal perception. To me it seems like you can activate it at will and complement your vision by giving you information when your eyes can't.
that would be pretty convenient
Jul 22, 2014 5:40 AM

Nov 2013
Afshar said:
GuusWayne said:
that would be pretty convenient
I think I'll need to find a sighted person with echolocation then and ask.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 5:47 AM

Dec 2012
Is it even possible to learn without being blind? At least without spending several months blindfolded or something?
Jul 22, 2014 5:53 AM

Jun 2014
Core1019 said:
Is it even possible to learn without being blind? At least without spending several months blindfolded or something?

Someone needs to be our guinea pig so that we can figure this out. If no one volunteers, then we can kidnap some people (preferably ones of the midget variety so they have a hard time fighting back) and run experiments on them so we can get the bottom of this (for the good of humanity, of course). Science, bitch.
Jul 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Nov 2013
I believe that if something is possible for one person that it's possible for another.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 7:42 AM

Sep 2012
The main problem with what you want to do is that the parts of your brain that would be used for echolocation are currently being used for visual perception. As flexible as your brain is, it can only perform one task at a time and, if the tasks are sufficiently different, it would need to rewire itself to do so.

I'm reminded of an experiment performed a few years back where college students were forced to keep their eyes covered for an extended period of time and learn braille. MRI scans of students who were successful showed that the parts of the brain responsible for reading lit up when they used it. When they were given their eyesight back, they quickly relapsed back to reading with their eyes and their fingers were no longer sensitive enough to distinguish the braille bumps.

For you to learn echolocation, you'll have to go through a similar procedure. Keep your eyes shut for months on end, not allowing any light to come through and constantly practice. Just remember that, when your eyesight returns, you'll lose your superpower. And, if you want it back, you'll have to go through the same learning process again.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Jul 22, 2014 7:47 AM

Mar 2014
Maybe walk around blindfolded or something
Jul 22, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2013
Nonyflah said:
The main problem with what you want to do is that the parts of your brain that would be used for echolocation are currently being used for visual perception. As flexible as your brain is, it can only perform one task at a time and, if the tasks are sufficiently different, it would need to rewire itself to do so.

I'm reminded of an experiment performed a few years back where college students were forced to keep their eyes covered for an extended period of time and learn braille. MRI scans of students who were successful showed that the parts of the brain responsible for reading lit up when they used it. When they were given their eyesight back, they quickly relapsed back to reading with their eyes and their fingers were no longer sensitive enough to distinguish the braille bumps.

For you to learn echolocation, you'll have to go through a similar procedure. Keep your eyes shut for months on end, not allowing any light to come through and constantly practice. Just remember that, when your eyesight returns, you'll lose your superpower. And, if you want it back, you'll have to go through the same learning process again.
I think there needs to be a sort of balance. It may be possible to perceive both ways at once.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 8:00 AM

Nov 2013
ShootMe said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/blind-man-echolocation/story?id=13684073

Anyone can learn it, and it doesn't take that long. The only problem with it is that since we are not bats and cannot generate or hear very high frequencies the echolocation is very vague and can only distinguish large objects.
I haven't read the article yet but you give me great hope. Once I've learned this then I'll see if I'm able to take it further.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 8:02 AM

Jul 2014
You have eyes, quit being a dipshit.
Just like how I have working legs so I'm not going to bother mastering how to use a goddamn fucking wheelchair.
Jul 22, 2014 8:05 AM

Apr 2014
ShootMe said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/blind-man-echolocation/story?id=13684073

Anyone can learn it, and it doesn't take that long. The only problem with it is that since we are not bats and cannot generate or hear very high frequencies the echolocation is very vague and can only distinguish large objects.

How does an article about a blind person learning echolocation that also specifically states that the technique may not be for everyone lead you to the conclusion that its easy and quick to learn and anybody can do it?

Also it gives a very vague image of what's around, useful if you're seeing pitch black but that's about it. If it's the middle of the night on a starless, moonless night it's still bright enough for you to see better after 10 minutes than you would with echolocation. Nice superpower.
Kronie said:
Just like how I have working legs so I'm not going to bother mastering how to use a goddamn fucking wheelchair.

That's a pretty bad comparison. Lots of people who play wheelchair sports don't need a wheelchair in case you weren't aware.
Jul 22, 2014 8:13 AM

Jul 2014
idungoof said:

That's a pretty bad comparison. Lots of people who play wheelchair sports don't need a wheelchair in case you weren't aware.

Is that right? And here I thought it was limited to those who were crippled.
Gotta love people ruining the fun for those crippled folks, not only can they walk but now they have to try and prove they are better at using the one thing that the crippled have to rely on for the rest of their life.
Jul 22, 2014 8:16 AM
Dec 2010
I doubt that trying to obtain a heightened sense will be that simple, OP.
Jul 22, 2014 8:17 AM

Aug 2012
#StopKronie2014
Jul 22, 2014 8:23 AM

Apr 2014
Kronie said:
idungoof said:

Is that right? And here I thought it was limited to those who were crippled.
Gotta love people ruining the fun for those crippled folks, not only can they walk but now they have to try and prove they are better at using the one thing that the crippled have to rely on for the rest of their life.

They have their own olympics, it's fine.
Jul 22, 2014 8:31 AM

Nov 2013
Kronie said:
I'm not a dipshit for wanting to learn a skill just like riding a bike. I guess I'm just greedy because I constantly want to learn new things and better myself but it could also be called curiosity and it gives more possibilities which is really all the reason I need.
SCARY MONSTER
Jul 22, 2014 2:16 PM
Jan 2014
GuusWayne said:
I've watched several videos of blind people navigating the world through sound like bats. My eyes are fine but I still want to learn this ability, so far it sounds like something exclusive to blind people but seeing clearly in places your eyes can't see is very useful. Some other animals can also do it like dolphins, it might take few months to a year to get the hang of it but I'll do it. Who's with me?
dont be stupid.
Jul 22, 2014 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
GuusWayne said:

It's often said that blind people are advanced in other senses. For example, their hearing, sense of smell, etc is better than normal to make up for their lack of eyesight. I'm not trying to stop you from learning echolocation, but you'll probably have a hard time.
Jul 22, 2014 3:04 PM

Oct 2013
i surely do want a superpower ヽ(^。^)丿

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.