Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 12, 2014 10:02 PM
Jul 2014
To prepare, I watched the previous two seasons the few days before the premiere lol. I hadn't watched it since it was first airing so it was nice to see it all again :D

This one seems pretty promising, and I'm especially glad to see the reapers in the opening. They're my favorites! <:
Jul 13, 2014 12:01 AM

Jul 2013
This was SUCH A FANTASTIC EPISODE! It was BEAUTIFUL! Sebastian killing the guy toward the end was intense and stunning. The champagne scene was done so wonderfully, you felt like you were there! Bravo! I can't wait til we get to the CIRCUS!

(Also my friend noticed that Ciel's hair is more grey in this season, thoughts?) XD
Jul 13, 2014 12:04 AM

Jul 2013
Aichiro said:
Beautiful animation, and Sebastian is "one hell of a butler" as always.

I was so happy that he said his little catchphrase in the episode! XD
Jul 13, 2014 3:18 AM

Feb 2014
Wow! I was reminiscent of the first episode of Kuroshitsuji. Great to see everyone back. It would be epic, if they would consider continuing from season 2. Sebastian is back. ROAR!
Jul 13, 2014 9:28 AM
Dec 2013
SO pleased with how it's going so far! I haven't read the manga for Book of Circus yet, I really liked seeing the "beginning" again, redone, with Sebastian possibly being more awesome than before.... 8D
Jul 14, 2014 12:07 AM

Dec 2013
I'm already in-love with the opening <3
Jul 14, 2014 12:33 AM
Dec 2008
I don't want to judge this show based on only this episode. I loved the other two seasons; but this first episode was a typical "first episode." As in, it seems like it was just about showing who's who for first-time viewers or bringing everyone up to speed. So, it was ... amusing, at best. But I expect more from the later episodes, but I won't rate it yet and I have no idea how everyone is rating it so high just because they are excited.
Jul 14, 2014 11:08 AM

Dec 2009
lament-flower said:
Micuko said:
Idk, from what I've seen the colour of Ciel's eyes changes when the mangaka colours them, it's lighter sometimes but deeper most times. This one is done by Yana and it's in the Circus ark too and Ciel's eyes are deep blue - http://i30.mangareader.net/kuroshitsuji/26/kuroshitsuji-52890.jpg
Here's another drawing by her(the curry ark) where Ciel's eyes are royal blue again: http://i8.mangareader.net/kuroshitsuji/21/kuroshitsuji-52693.jpg
I usually like teal eyes but I'm so used to Ciel's deep royal blue and to me the lighter colour is a bit unsettling.

Ah, yeah, it definitely changes a lot. I just always considered the general coloring for Ciel to be lighter, but the coloring is very inconsistent for most of the characters, even Sebastian sometimes.

I guess with all that, I think they've done good job adapting the colors in this season (since they have to pick from the different coloring haha) and I'm sure she had some input on it this time.

According to a staff interview, Yana helped pretty much every step of the way. (I'll re-copy and paste it to your profiles if you guys want to read it, or go to Kuroshitsuji Central, I have it posted on one of the comments there.)

The coloring is suppose to be closer to that of the manga this time.

clarestanfield said:
Wow! I was reminiscent of the first episode of Kuroshitsuji. Great to see everyone back. It would be epic, if they would consider continuing from season 2. Sebastian is back. ROAR!

I doubt they'll do that now with so many excited for them following the manga this time (after episode one which is the introduction episode, it will be canon all out, according to that staff interview, and with some fanservice.), and since Season 2 didn't do so well, it probably won't happen.

winternight119 said:
I don't want to judge this show based on only this episode. I loved the other two seasons; but this first episode was a typical "first episode." As in, it seems like it was just about showing who's who for first-time viewers or bringing everyone up to speed. So, it was ... amusing, at best. But I expect more from the later episodes, but I won't rate it yet and I have no idea how everyone is rating it so high just because they are excited.

Very wise of you to wait, I don't get why people rush to the rating box either, but I can guess why for this one. The Circus arc is a very popular arc in the manga and a lot of peoples love it, and with the staff promising it will follow the manga, now that episode one is out of the way which was meant a an introduction, everyone is hyped and expecting it to be great.

Jul 14, 2014 9:11 PM

May 2011
Well, the intro was good. hearing Sebastian's voice summoned some good memories. Kuroshitsuji was the second anime I've watched though I started reading the manga only couple of years ago.

The opening was superb and the animation is smooth and perfect. Although this episode was a filler, I really enjoyed it. They really know how to make a Kuroshitsuji episode!

I though that Lau would betray ciel xD I was mistaken. It's not like I was thinking that Ciel would die but I actually thought Lau would keep his mouth shut and enjoy the show. But he did tell Ciel about that crooked man.

winternight119 said:

So you liked the first season and disliked this episode that nearly related to the manga ? How amusing! Well, it's true that they didn't make any progress in the story line but we happened to see some action. I'm really satisfied by hearing Sebastian's voice :D
Jul 15, 2014 12:31 AM
Jul 2014
Can any one please tell me do i have to watch Kuroshitsuji 1+2 to understand the story or i can just skip them and watch Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus ?
Jul 15, 2014 7:36 AM

Aug 2011
xAziiZ said:
Can any one please tell me do i have to watch Kuroshitsuji 1+2 to understand the story or i can just skip them and watch Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus ?
I'd better if you watched the first season but only from episode 1 to episode 16. :) then you can start Kuroshitsuji:Book of Circus. This is the best option cause you'd miss some good parts in the first season and besides, it's completely based on the manga.
So yeah.. Season 1 [16 episodes] and then Book Of Circus, and naah, don't watch Kuroshitsuji 2, it has nothing to do with the manga and book of circus.
I hope i helped :)
Jul 15, 2014 12:47 PM

Dec 2009
xAziiZ said:
] I'd better if you watched the first season but only from episode 1 to episode 16. :) then you can start Kuroshitsuji:Book of Circus. This is the best option cause you'd miss some good parts in the first season and besides, it's completely based on the manga.
So yeah.. Season 1 [16 episodes] and then Book Of Circus, and naah, don't watch Kuroshitsuji 2, it has nothing to do with the manga and book of circus.
I hope i helped :)

Actually that's not true. Season One diverged from the manga in the very first episode. The Italian dude, "Damian", which isn't even his real name (his name in the manga is Clause) wasn't evil nor did he get burned in the oven.

The only episodes that were cannon, despite some alterations to them, was 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, and 15. Those were the only canon episodes. !, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16 were all filler. Nothing to even do with the manga.

xAziiZ said:

No, you don't need to watch either season to get into Book of Circus. The first episode for this series is served as an introduction for old and new fans. So no, you don't have to.

But if you want to know a little bit about what took place before, I advise reading the manga from chapter one pass the Curry arc. The Circus arc begins right after it in the manga. Or if you want to go by anime wise, I advise just watching episodes 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, and 15 in Season One. Despite some alterations that were not in the manga, they are the only canon episodes in season 1, and the only ones that you only really need to watch if you want to get into this arc. (Also, anything that was filler in Season One sounds like it going to be ignored in this season in favor of the manga.)

I still though advise that you read the manga so that you know the true canon story. But anime wise, you don't have to watch the previous season to get into this.

Jul 15, 2014 1:16 PM

May 2012
TravSavage said:
This is already better than the 2nd season.

The first episode of 2nd season is much better, because it has cute sexy sadistic blond trap. Way better character than Ciel. Wish if he is the main charater

Kuroshitsuji 1st season was so boring. I dropped it after few episodes.

I started watching Kuroshitsuji 2nd season yesterday. First ep was good, but the blonde trap doesn't appear in 2nd and 3rd episode. I didn't watch anything past that yet

1st episode of Book of Circus is not bad. I will continue watching because watching weekly is easier than marathoning
Jul 15, 2014 9:23 PM
May 2014
Normal kuroshitsuji episode. Nothing special about it I guess. The circus arc is my favorite arc, I hope they don't screw it up with made-up fillers like the first season...
Jul 16, 2014 12:13 AM
Jan 2014
So, new to the series (mostly watched the first episode to see if I would like it), but I felt like the first episode was too slow. I liked the second half of the episode though. Is that what the regular pace of the show was like in the original series?
Jul 16, 2014 1:35 AM
Jul 2014
Doesty said:
lovelyphantom said:

thanks alot <3
Jul 16, 2014 4:11 AM

Apr 2010
It was a bit scary... I don't remember there was something like that in the manga.

Jul 16, 2014 5:24 AM

Apr 2013
the most beautiful opening i have ever seen.......

Jul 16, 2014 6:06 AM
Jul 2018
Can't wait for the English dub o.o
Jul 16, 2014 8:43 AM

May 2011
tenshiii said:

Yeah, the opening is really superb. :D
Jul 16, 2014 6:06 PM
May 2014
limith said:
So, new to the series (mostly watched the first episode to see if I would like it), but I felt like the first episode was too slow. I liked the second half of the episode though. Is that what the regular pace of the show was like in the original series?

Some episodes are slow like this one, before plot picks up. It was especially slow probably because it's an introductory episode, for people who never watched it or don't remember anymore. I don't really remember much of the beginning of the circus arc, but if they stick to the manga it will be very dramatic soon and the plot will definitely be of interest if you choose to stick with it
Jul 17, 2014 1:56 AM

Oct 2011
it's so nice to see them all again !
|ω・)
Jul 17, 2014 4:46 PM
Mar 2011
I don't know why but in this season the main character has gray hair and looks like an old jiji. I already watched the manga arcs of the first season and still can't be used to the pacing of this anime. To me it seems that they spend too much time on useless and uninteresting jokes that I wish took less time. But overall not too bad episode.
Jul 18, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Loved it! So happy to see them back in action. I love this anime series and I'm very happy they will be following the manga closer then the last time. Even though I love Black Butler, I'm not so in love with the second season (although I watched it over a dozen times)

I like Sebastian in the first episode of season 3. Back to his old self, and there seems to be a little more demon in his stride. Enjoyed it and can't wait to see more. I hope there are many seasons to come.
Spending more time thinking about the fictional world than reality.
Jul 19, 2014 9:01 PM

Apr 2010
I'm sad Ciel's hair color had lost some of its vividness? But then I can deal with it. The thing with the golden frames is annoying so is the fact that Sebastian was explaining every single bit about the food.

They made the opening in the end? I think it's really good. Looking forward for more I guess.
Jul 20, 2014 2:35 AM
Mar 2011
Rueby said:
They made the opening in the end? I think it's really good. Looking forward for more I guess.
I thought it was the ending until I saw the true ending...
Aug 3, 2014 3:18 AM

Oct 2012
Sebastian is as perfect as always <3
Aug 3, 2014 2:55 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode.
My favourite part of it was when he killed all of those men all by himself. 5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2014 11:46 AM

Mar 2014
I am SO EXCITED about this season; the Circus arc in the manga was BY FAR my absolute favorite, and I'm incredibly happy the show's reported to be sticking close to the original storyline of the manga. The animation is beautiful as always, and the seiyuu are top-notch -- no surprise there.

It's nice that the first episode of this season was reminiscent of s1's first episode -- Sebastian doing chores, someone coming in and wanting to hurt / rip off Ciel, and Sebastian and Ciel handing their ass to them.

Now the real fun begins! :D
тнєґє їš a fїиё lїиё Ьётшєёи dцту aиd мцяdёґ

Aug 14, 2014 9:35 PM

Jul 2014
Freakin legit Sebby
Sep 2, 2014 6:53 AM

Jul 2014
Sebastian has to be one of the best characters, he's essentially invincible, but his relationship with the fragile Ciel never makes the series look stale!

The animation was fantastic during the champagne catastrophe scene, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for that nostalgic glance Ciel gives to Sebastian to say, "HANDLE IT!!"
Sep 2, 2014 6:54 AM

Jul 2014
tenshiii said:

Completely agree, I usually only watch the opening once but the artwork in it is so dazzling I watch it every episode... /sigh
Sep 3, 2014 8:54 AM

Oct 2009
Excellent! Reminded me why I loved the first season, great start!
Nov 3, 2014 9:28 AM

May 2012
It's been a while and man I'm glad they made another season! Like the first it has the right atmosphere, pacing and combination of humor and action! Really going to love this season for sure so without further ado let's see what's next!
Nov 9, 2014 2:06 PM

Jan 2014
:o that ending sequence is gorgeous
Feb 15, 2015 10:04 PM

Jul 2013
So that's what happened huh? Sebastian is really a baws. Anyway I'm looking forward to that circus. Hope someone from there would at least give him a challenge.
Jun 24, 2015 3:00 AM

Jan 2013
Ironing newspaper LOL
Nov 10, 2015 8:34 AM

Jan 2012
so this is how u summon demon,you need to be a child ,make sense .

Jan 27, 2016 10:19 AM

Sep 2014
Sebastian Michaelis and his demon eyes <3 <3
The Episode was Good as always. I can see that circus is gonna be interesting.
Jun 8, 2016 12:20 AM

Dec 2015
Awesome first episode, Sebastian is as badass and awesome as always
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 2, 2016 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
I did think that Ciel and Sebastian looked slightly different too, I need to read more of the manga, I read the first two chapters ages ago.

Poor Sebastian, he has to always deal with the others messes, he's surrounded by idiots lol. Lovable idiots but idiots all the same.

Who irons a newspaper? lol.

Sebastian catching all those glasses was amazing!

Sebastian, sexy as always <3

They soon got rid of that guy with the help of Lau, a bit like the first episode of season 1.

When he said indubitably, I immediately thought of this from 7 Days In Hell lol. :

stephtastropheAug 2, 2016 1:47 PM
Sep 16, 2017 1:46 PM

Jun 2016
Is this a prequel or a sequel? I'm lost. I didn't watch Kuroshitsuji II since a lot of people told me it's not canon.

Despite that, I really loved this episode and I really missed all them characters especially the servants. :)

Sebby slaying. Yaaaas! Oh god he's handsomer now. Fuuuuck.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 26, 2017 2:04 PM

May 2016
I can't believe I'm only just watching this

Nonetheless, a good first episode, it mirrors season 1's first episode perfectly
Feb 12, 2018 5:06 AM

Dec 2017
Damn this I wanted to see Brandel after punishment
Allen_Walker84Feb 12, 2018 5:25 AM
May 29, 2019 8:16 AM
Jan 2018
People are misunderstanding this season ignore the part after the curry arc in first season also the arc with Pluto and the angel lady
Sep 11, 2019 10:54 AM
Aug 2017
It's a great introduction to the new series with a nice twist to it. The ending song it's also good. It seems like the series will be a good one. Sebastian's character is charming as always.
Aug 30, 2020 2:49 PM

Mar 2019
Already love this just by knowing that it's canon.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 1, 2020 12:52 AM

Apr 2020
Came from watching the first. Glad he's alive, and from what I heard the middle/end of the first season was filler.
Sep 8, 2021 8:07 AM

Aug 2020
I literally forgot everything that happened in season 1 (even though I only watched it a year ago lmao) but I heard that this season has a proper storyline as opposed to loads of filler episodes, so I don't this season 1 is important?

Based on the OP, it seems there will be a lot of new characters introduced and it looks very interesting. I can't wait to watch the rest of it. :D
Aug 30, 2022 4:28 PM

Sep 2016
Would preferred if they continued where they left off in part 2, even if it's not "canon"
The anime could just be it's own product without adhering to the manga.

Sometimes breaking away can lead to better, more interesting story.
I don't care.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

148 by pendr4gonz »»
Apr 25, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

130 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

97 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

92 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.