Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 20, 2013 7:13 PM

Aug 2013
Why haven't I watched this move earlier? Seriously.. I loved it! 10/10
Dec 28, 2013 5:21 AM

Mar 2013
For everyone insisting this is just a kids movie. know that it's based on a real life murder. mei and satsuki are actually dead by the end. and totoro is a shinigami.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 3, 2014 1:05 PM

Apr 2010
a lot of cuteness *^*
Feb 9, 2014 1:12 PM

Oct 2012
Children's imagination is sucha marvellous thing.

That peacefulness and drama at same time. But with good, heartwarming end. Quite difference from the same year ghibli's movie Hotaru no Haka. I am glad this was fairytale after all.

8/10 I recommend this movie to anyone.
Mar 1, 2014 12:51 PM

Aug 2010
Curse this adult mind of mine not being able to see or feel the innocence of this movie. Anyway its still a great movie though if I would've seen this in my childhood days it would've been better.

Music is awesome as in all Ghibli films especially the bgm. Art/Animation is also good considering being made in the 80's and all.

It's impact on viewers is very lasting. Howl's moving castle is the first Ghibli film I watched and gave it a 10. I really want to give this a 10 but it has missing elements such as a good back story but never the less it's still an instant classic. 9/10 by the way :)
Mar 23, 2014 1:50 PM
Feb 2012
It took me way too long to watch this haha. But it sure was a fascinating experience. At times I myself felt like a child again, going on adventures together with Totoro.

Tonari no Totoro - a movie I will gladly show to my own kids one day.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 9, 2014 10:10 PM

Aug 2013
This has got to be one of the most bland Studio Ghibli films.

I am sure young children and nostalgic viewers could take enjoyment out of this movie though.
Nov 23, 2014 11:23 AM
Feb 2013
I've waiting ages to see this, luckily for me a friend was selling off some DVD's to finance their cosplaying!

A little lightweight by Ghibli standards, but still enjoyable.

Insterestinglly the soot sprites are the only fantasy element in the first half of the film.

Roaring permitted Totoro is fun to watch as is the Catbus.

A slight gripe with the DVD subtitles is the lack of captions for some of the Japanese writing, particularly the Catbus's destination blind.
Dec 14, 2014 12:20 AM

Jul 2012

This is definitely my favorite scene :)
Feb 10, 2015 3:07 PM

Dec 2013
Very dull, plotless and boring movie.The intro before Totoro's appearance was way too long and he got too little screen time overall. The G-rating isn't a lie - it's really childish but I can't even see how it could keep a child interested.
The only good thing is the countryside setting. And the music wasn't terrible for its age.
Weak movie, wouldn't recommend to anyone. This proved once again how amazingly overrated Studio Ghibli is. I wouldn't mind getting a ride in such a furry catbus though.
Btw Totoro makes pedobear expressions.
Mar 6, 2015 11:34 PM

Aug 2012
It was better than I thought or to rephrase that, I liked it more than I thought I would. My biggest complaint is perhaps the dub as, while under most circumstances the performances were fine, I didn't feel that they were able to carry the emotional weight required during scenes such as their fight over Mei being pissed that mom couldn't come home. Conversely though, the music was pretty much pitch perfect. Granted I hate the ending song but everything else is just, wow. The song that played during the acorn growing scene especially is beautiful.

The story, or what little there is, isn't very entrancing. It actually isn't that good. There's not much going on here, the subplot with Kanta never really leads to anything worth while & the conflict that mildly happens between Satsuki & Mei doesn't really hold a lot of weight but the movies not really about that. For me, the strong points of Totoro & why I came away with a positive impression were for the scenes with Totoro & the Nekobus. Those scenes were always entertaining & the umbrella scene was definitely the highlight of the movie. I guess, charming is the right way to describe them. Either way, those scenes, especially juxtaposed with the more realistic rest of the movie (thus making those few instances stand out more) is the whole draw for me. But the human characters, for what they're worth aren't terrible either though they don't posses the likability of say, the pirates from Castle in the Sky. None of these characters are going to stick with me. 7/10

Oh & what is this movies love of acorns? I can't say I get it & god damn, those things sparkled brighter than diamond.s
May 20, 2015 7:14 PM

Feb 2015
Loved it. Nice watch to take a break from most shows that usually interest me. Made me think how, as a kid, I would believe in what I imagine more than what is actually true. The girls being so excited to live in a creepy haunted house was adorable. At the same time, Satsuki thinking her mother's illness is something worse than a cold which was just her imagination as well, can make you worry rather than be excited. It's a nice mild fantasy perspective on two sisters that move into a new house that keep their minds on the wild and their mother, in the hospital.
devinderMay 20, 2015 7:23 PM
Jul 14, 2015 5:31 PM

Apr 2008
Just rewatched it.. the beginning was a bit long and I almost fell asleep.. luckily the sighting of the white Totoro woke me up. I remember it having more of a story to it, though I guess as a kid I blended a lot of Ghibli's movies together and couldn't really keep track of the human characters. It's a slice of life, so there was very little plot or conflict.. great animation for its age though.
Jul 21, 2015 11:31 PM

Jul 2015
Hmmm... I've never seen this as a child, so... It wasn't what I expected it to be. I'm not going to lie now, I expected a childish acid trip (kinda like moomin valley) but... I was disappointed. But at least the scenes with totoro and catbus were fun to watch, but I didn't like how it dragged on at times...
Aug 14, 2015 7:03 AM

Jun 2013
I'd think this is my least favorite Studio Ghibli movie. It was pretty average for the most part, and sometimes kind of boring. Despite its flaws, it was still enjoyable.

7/10
Sep 22, 2015 8:30 PM
Jul 2014
Another Ghibli's adorable classic.The Story is underdeveloped.The Script could and should be better!
Dec 13, 2015 4:13 AM

Dec 2013
Just beautiful. The scene where the sisters arrive at the hospital on the cat bus to see their mother being okay is one of the most beautiful and just emotional scenes I have ever seen.

This movie is a tad different from high fantasies such as Mononoke Hime or Howl's Castle and I loved it - much simplier and much more down to earth but just as magical if not more.
Jan 21, 2016 7:04 AM

Apr 2013
This may have been a great movie if I was a kid but no. By now the industry is oversaturated with escapism content that I don't care anymore. If you think Miyazaki outdid himself in this movie then you definitely need to watch the other movie he produced at the same time.
Jan 28, 2016 3:12 PM

Jul 2015
i don't know if Totoro smile is creepy or cute, joke apart, what a movie !
Feb 4, 2016 5:23 PM

Jun 2009
It was good but It feels short. After the hospital scene (watching without looking at the time) I can't accept that it is really over, but I still like it
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Feb 7, 2016 10:19 AM

Dec 2010
Kind of random and all over the place, I guess it's target public was primarily children. It's a nice watch anyway.
Feb 20, 2016 8:08 PM

Apr 2012
One of the absolute sweetest things
Mar 6, 2016 1:41 PM

Aug 2015
8/10 for me....kinda disappointed
Mar 18, 2016 5:57 PM

Jan 2013
Very cheerful opening song, love it.
Some soundtracks kinda reminded me of Clannad.
I love how the dad doesnt even notice a big tree suddenly popping up.
Cat bus and Totoro are AMAZING :D

robis798 said:
Just beautiful. The scene where the sisters arrive at the hospital on the cat bus to see their mother being okay is one of the most beautiful and just emotional scenes I have ever seen.

Agreed, teared a bit up :)

The final 30 minutes saved the film for me, the first half of the movie was extremely slow and not very engaging.
I definitely would've loved way more Totoro and Cat bus, it was so touching when the Cat bus came to save Mei with Satsuki.

9/10
Mar 22, 2016 2:52 AM

Apr 2015
Was planning to watch this movie, was really eager as a matter of fact, but then i saw an article about the hidden meaning behind this anime, now i don't feel like watching it any more.
see article here
May 3, 2016 6:23 AM

Jan 2012
skutieos said:
I don't see the appeal. It wasn't very enthralling, and I didn't much like the characters, besides Totoro.

It was worth watching though.

I agree , kinda disappointed here , well 6/10

May 6, 2016 4:59 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This movie was a big dose of light hearted sweet and pure, dose of cute and emotive, wonderfull animation! The charm is has can even melt the coldest hearts~~
9/10
Jul 18, 2016 4:27 PM

Nov 2012
Only seen four Ghibli movie but this one is my favorite so far 7/10.

Tonari no Totoro>Nausicaa>Laputa>>>>Grave of Fireflies

Edit: Admittedly Mei was really annoying at times though throughout the movie.
Aug 4, 2016 1:24 PM

Jun 2016
-Taicho- said:
Was planning to watch this movie, was really eager as a matter of fact, but then i saw an article about the hidden meaning behind this anime, now i don't feel like watching it any more.
see article here

this theory scared the shit out of me .
overall,great movie, simple and touching ,my little brother liked totoro so much.
Oct 30, 2016 2:09 AM

Oct 2016
What a pleasing movie!! I like Totoro and both Mei and Satsuki. The story is very simple and yet a masterpiece!
I give 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2016 10:58 AM

Oct 2016
A huge fan of Ghibli Studios, loved this movie, if you did too, I recommend you watching Spirited Away and other Ghibli movies ^~^
Jan 11, 2017 7:05 AM

Aug 2016
As some other user said "I failed to appreciate this"

It for sure was no time wasting but just okay. Maybe my expectations just were too high as it's supposed to be a "Must watch movie" I love Totoro and I loved all Totoro scenes, he's so cute (and fluffy) but that lack of screentime @@ The movie did not really have anything else to offer for me
Jan 16, 2017 3:51 PM
Oct 2015
I got the Miyazaki box set when it first came out and I had been putting this one off for a while because I got the impression it was gonna be mainly just for children/boring. Honestly its probably one of my favorites by him. It had me smiling ear to ear the entire time. Miyazaki and the seiyuu bring Satsuki and Mei to life so well that I feel like I actually know them. Totoro is adorable. I don't really want kids but this movie makes me want to second guess it.
Feb 22, 2017 6:12 PM

Aug 2007
It's a simple movie, with pretty imagery. I personally LOVE Totoro and Catbus as character designs. They are incredibly iconic, and I think most people would agree. As for the movie itself, it's on par with Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky. It's a bit better than average, and something you should at least see once. It's a good movie to relax too.

I think the merchandise > the movie itself, tbh

6/10

Mar 11, 2017 10:15 AM

May 2016
I enjoyed the movie although the title character got less screentime than expected (I'm also looking at you, Princess Mononoke). Totoro was a little creepy to be honest... but cute with that smile in a way. Mei was annoying at times but she's a child after all.

That was a sweet flick that had great moments like that Camphor acorn sprouting and Cat Bus. Satsuki's so cute~ That ending gave me a warm feeling but reading the conspiracy article made me sad. Why the fuck do people like to ruin good things? ;_;

I'll go rate it somewhere at an 8 the morning after :3

May 2, 2017 3:20 PM

May 2010
I watched this for the first time last night. Gave it a 6. I was expecting something childish and fairly dumb, and that's what I got. Mei was annoying as hell. Satsuki was ok but generic. Totoro was disturbing, which made him interesting, but not very. I kinda liked the scene where they made stuff grow, and it did have a bit of the usual Miyazaki charm, but on the whole, not a great movie.

I voted 3.

Katakis said:
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

I just recently read the Chronicles of Narnia. Lewis was an interesting man. I've put away childish insecurity for the most part, to whatever extent I ever had it. I can enjoy Pokemon, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and Disney movies as an adult. But there's a difference between Y and Y7; a difference between Spongebob and Teletubbies; a difference between Spirited Away and my neighbor Totoro. It wasn't Teletubbies, but this movie was a bit too childish for me to enjoy.
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 2, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2010
Just read the conspiracy theory. Not very convincing, but it would make the movie more fun if it were true. Like Grave of the Fireflies...
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
May 17, 2017 12:27 PM

Apr 2017
I find the constant yelling and screaming of the little girls to be annoying. Remember I had to turn down the volume a lot while watching this film. A good film overall, but not one of Miyazakis best in my opinion.
May 21, 2017 2:58 PM

Jan 2015
That's how you do a movie, guys. This is beautiful.
Aug 19, 2017 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
Just watch the movie tonight, I could say I have a mixed feeling about it. This anime portrays childhood pretty well with its 80's anime style art. But the way the movie ended left so many questions about it. What will happen next is still a mystery. Did Totoro will always be there? Where did they come from? But all in all, I could leave it as it is, a simple thing is not needed to take so far like symbolism or whatever.

Give it solid 8/10 for the fun that I got while watching it.
Aug 24, 2017 6:28 PM

Dec 2015
From the half dozen Ghibli movies I've seen thus far, this one is the best. 8/10
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 5, 2017 9:46 PM

Nov 2009
Not bad, but I won't watch it again. And the younger sister, Mei, was extremely annoying, souring my impression. Are all children her age really that way, stubborn and stupid and not listening when it counts?

Well, 6.5/10, rounded to 7/10, for the relaxing atmosphere, but out of the Ghibli movies I've seen thus far, this one is the worst.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 20, 2017 12:29 PM

Dec 2016
A beautiful movie that truly captures childlike wonder, curiosity, and adventure. A true classic!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 30, 2017 8:14 AM

May 2010
Ah I prefer Spirited Away and Majo no Takkyuubin by miles.
Jan 8, 2018 4:43 PM

Nov 2017
I can see this becoming one of my favorite Ghibli movies, it was very easy to get lost in the world of this one. Simple, yet thought provoking, really enjoyed it.
Feb 14, 2018 1:04 PM

May 2016
To be honest I didn't enjoyed it, for most part was these little annoying brats laughing and running, I know well that they wanted to illustrate a children like attitude and simple form but this was way too annoying to watch the only thing that was good about it was Totoro I really fell in love with him right away 7/10.
Mar 3, 2018 7:17 AM

Nov 2011
I really wanted to see this film again because I think it is the best film for children made by the Ghibli studio, and that can also be used by adults. Simple and fun, it has that right touch of magic and fantasy. Graphically it is perfect, given the age it has.

8.5/10
Mar 8, 2018 11:23 PM

Jan 2017
This was really good. A very feel-good story, with an interesting setting and good story.

Mar 26, 2018 7:15 AM

Apr 2016
Another masterpiece of Ghabli
BRAWLERS
Aug 18, 2018 10:55 PM

Jul 2017
So good. Once I got past the fake and bad theory, I was able to appreciate the film immensely. The granny reminded me of two old ladies that lived up the street from me when I was a child. I was sad to see the granny crying and worrying about the children. Some of the scenes have an amazing mystery quality to them, specifically when the children are waiting for the bus and when the big tree is growing in the yard. Totoro and his pals copying the umbrella was cute.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» If Dwarf Inc. make a Stop Motion remake of My Neighboor Totoro

lupeco98 - Nov 14, 2023

1 by Serafos »»
Nov 14, 2023 10:41 PM

» Lil blue guy?

Amber_4shenfell - Sep 24, 2023

2 by AnD_MaN_03 »»
Sep 25, 2023 3:42 AM

» Favorite Totoro Bus Stop Parody

Cestlavie_ - Jun 18, 2022

10 by GhibliMerch »»
Jul 7, 2023 2:17 AM

» My Neighbor Totoro...How many of you have watched it?:]

Shiawase_Ria - Mar 13, 2010

16 by Araxz »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:28 AM

» The impending doom of My Neighbor Totoro

raabyray - Mar 3, 2022

16 by emiko_uchiha »»
Mar 21, 2022 9:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.