Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Jun 16 - 22

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 24, 2014 10:01 AM

Dec 2012
I'm so happy for Love Live :)

I said this back on April:

Back then, not a lot of people would have talked about 90K for Vol1. But now, 90K or even 100K feels like an arm reach away. Love Live had made history!

Based on how well the singles have been doing (two single CDs sold 52K+ without being either OP or ED), S2's final average would be anywhere between the low prediction of 50K+ to the high prediction of 60K+

Just this one time only

ThangLongJun 24, 2014 10:12 AM
Jun 24, 2014 10:24 AM

Oct 2007
@ThangLong,
Even ticket wouldn't be able to push it that high. It's bonuses for the games. For ¥3493 you get guaranteed awakened UR card if I remember correctly. Many people pay ¥5k for a chance to get UR.
ProgeuszJun 24, 2014 10:30 AM
Jun 24, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2007
A lot of people seem to be caught off guard as to just how popular Love Live is in Japan and even parts of Korea and Singapore. It's understandable cause the idol scene doesn't really exist over here, but I've seen the news and the video and even the pictures that really put it into perspective. Also that Yahoo Auctions people linked back, if you actually look at the product descriptions and images a lot of them are just people are actually auctioning off the UR card for the game or the event ticket that came with the disc. Even some of the results are for entirely unrelated products to the first volume disc Some of those are the disc itself too also set at the typical minimum bidding value of 500 yen, but for maybe half of the 150 or so results of an 82,000 unit selling volume....not quite as disposable a disc as some people are making it out to be.

Anyway I find it amusing how quickly the tone of certain people changes once it's not one of their favorite types of shows or favorite studio breaking a sales record and it's exactly the posters I would have expected too. Not that I think Love Live Vol 1 needs to break a first week single volumes sales record that has stood for almost 20 years now given what the show is surprisingly enjoyable as it might be, but all the attempts to downplay it seem kind of like the sour grapes I always get accused of.
Jun 24, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2007
Who are you talking about? My tone didn't change in the slightest.
Jun 24, 2014 10:37 AM

Nov 2008
Progeusz said:

He's referring to the haters like the one above with the "Fuck this gay Earth" gif.

Jun 24, 2014 10:56 AM

Dec 2012
Progeusz said:
@ThangLong,
Even ticket wouldn't be able to push it that high. It's bonuses for the games. For ¥3493 you get guaranteed awakened UR card if I remember correctly. Many people pay ¥5k for a chance to get UR.

I only quoted a part of what I said, here is the full point with better context:

Yes, and the UR card is very attractive as well. Anyway, it's exciting to watch LL grew like this.
Jun 24, 2014 10:56 AM
May 2013
Ahhhhhh my beloved Nagi-sama's Tokohana exceeded 10k. I'm so glad...She's amazing...excuse my inner nagi fanboy.

Also Konomi's No Game No Life OP over 16k very impressive.
Jun 24, 2014 11:05 AM

Jun 2012
Does anyone know if The Wind Rises BD has English subs as well?
Jun 24, 2014 11:08 AM

Jul 2010
Hoppy said:
iLostReason said:
Holy Love Live!...i bet it's all because of best girl, Maki ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maki is not the best girl, Umi is.

scytheavatar said:
iLostReason said:
Holy Love Live!...i bet it's all because of best girl, Maki ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

They did a huge Love Live popularity poll recently in Japan (with 14420 votes) and this is the result:

Maki still best girl in my kokoro.

Jun 24, 2014 11:18 AM

Oct 2007
ThangLong said:
I only quoted a part of what I said, here is the full point with better context:
Okay then.
But really, just the card alone is worth more than whole BD at 3,493 or even full price at 4,800.

iLostReason said:
Maki still best girl in my kokoro.

Actually, after S2 where Kotori didn't shine too much, I agree.
Jun 24, 2014 11:24 AM

Oct 2007
Hoppy said:
Progeusz said:

He's referring to the haters like the one above with the "Fuck this gay Earth" gif.

I just find some of the attitudes amusing. People seem to think its a bad thing that Love Live has more to offer its fans as well as prospective ones than most franchises because its a huge multimedia franchise that transcends just anime and Bamco who are typically a nickel and diming kind of company are willing to sell volumes at a lower price than the average anime, a strategy that Mekaku City Actors is also employing (even lower in fact) as well as similarly opting for Event Tickets and music CDs to be included in the package. I don't understand why it should be held against the franchise, it just seems like good business strategy and planning. The first volumes record breaking success wasn't an accident that's for sure. If you really want to have huge sales these days you kind of need those extra little incentives and good price points.
Jun 24, 2014 11:27 AM

Nov 2008
*2. *6,743 *,**6,743 Kuroko no Basket 2nd Season Vol.6
*3. *4,964 *,**4,964 Diamond no Ace Vol.1
*4. *3,143 *,*51,559 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Vol.7 Limited Edition
*5. *2,113 *,**2,113 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.7
Jun 24, 2014 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
Progeusz said:
ThangLong said:
Okay then.
But really, just the card alone is worth more than whole BD at 3,493 or even full price at 4,800.

It depends on people's luck and how highly they value an UR. A normal player (without paying for loveca) can get UR as well because the game gives a lot of bonuses by just consistent playing. So no one can put a price of an UR card into yen.
Jun 24, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2012
After searching it on amazonjp, yes it does have subs.

Mod Edit: Fixed user responding to himself which I first failed to notice
TyrelJun 24, 2014 4:10 PM
Jun 24, 2014 1:47 PM

Apr 2013
I know that Japan loves its idols but... damn. That's all I have to say about that. And a solid start for Miyazaki's final film. Years ago, who would have thought that his final film would be out on BluRay before Spirited Away?
Jun 24, 2014 2:43 PM

May 2013
Those Love Live! numbers are beyond amazing! I love seeing it sell so much, though without a doubt it's going to see quite a drop for later volumes Hope it keeps up atleast 45k for on average.

Gochiusa doing well for the first volume. That show was a pleasant surprise for me this season. Glad to see it doing well. KNB keeping up great numbers. Can't wait til season 3! Akuma no Riddle not looking so good though. (I didn't like the show, but I liked that it hard dark themes and yuri in it. I'd like to see more like that, but with those sales that would discourage more being made. Sigghh.)

Chu-2 Ren doing decent, despite imo, not really deserving it. Terrible season and Engaged to the Unidentified still doing decent as well. I would have liked higher sales for it, but eh.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Jun 24, 2014 7:23 PM

Oct 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
A lot of people seem to be caught off guard as to just how popular Love Live is in Japan and even parts of Korea and Singapore. It's understandable cause the idol scene doesn't really exist over here, but I've seen the news and the video and even the pictures that really put it into perspective. Also that Yahoo Auctions people linked back, if you actually look at the product descriptions and images a lot of them are just people are actually auctioning off the UR card for the game or the event ticket that came with the disc. Even some of the results are for entirely unrelated products to the first volume disc Some of those are the disc itself too also set at the typical minimum bidding value of 500 yen, but for maybe half of the 150 or so results of an 82,000 unit selling volume....not quite as disposable a disc as some people are making it out to be.

Anyway I find it amusing how quickly the tone of certain people changes once it's not one of their favorite types of shows or favorite studio breaking a sales record and it's exactly the posters I would have expected too. Not that I think Love Live Vol 1 needs to break a first week single volumes sales record that has stood for almost 20 years now given what the show is surprisingly enjoyable as it might be, but all the attempts to downplay it seem kind of like the sour grapes I always get accused of.

Downplay? Nah. I just find the whole situation strangely amusing. The fact that some people buy something for the extras and and not the main package piques my curiosity. What exactly are they fans of? To what degree are they willing to go out of their way to obtain what they want?

There's also that guy who bought 55 copies for god knows what and another who bought like 30 CDs or something. Rabid fans aren't anything new but it's still a sight to behold.

Also, why don't you learn to be a little less bitter? There isn't some boogeyman out to get you. Forums are there for people to express their thoughts and opinion. Form counter arguments if you think their opinion of your opinion is wrong.
CheesekaoJun 24, 2014 7:26 PM
Jun 24, 2014 9:46 PM

Nov 2008
Cheesekao said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Downplay? Nah. I just find the whole situation strangely amusing. The fact that some people buy something for the extras and and not the main package piques my curiosity. What exactly are they fans of? To what degree are they willing to go out of their way to obtain what they want?

There's also that guy who bought 55 copies for god knows what and another who bought like 30 CDs or something. Rabid fans aren't anything new but it's still a sight to behold.

Also, why don't you learn to be a little less bitter? There isn't some boogeyman out to get you. Forums are there for people to express their thoughts and opinion. Form counter arguments if you think their opinion of your opinion is wrong.

I've bought BDs and magazines just for the extras before, it's not a big deal, you can get some neat premium tier items in Japanese magazines and BD volumes.

Jun 25, 2014 1:41 AM

Oct 2011
Hoppy said:

I've bought BDs and magazines just for the extras before, it's not a big deal, you can get some neat premium tier items in Japanese magazines and BD volumes.

If it's just a small number of people I could chalk it up them being isolated incidents but when they come by the truckload I begin to wonder why.
Jun 25, 2014 2:36 AM

Nov 2007
Cheesekao said:
Hoppy said:

If it's just a small number of people I could chalk it up them being isolated incidents but when they come by the truckload I begin to wonder why.

Event ticket obviously. When the SSA only has 37k seats capacity, you'd be a fool to risk not getting a seat at the 2015 concert if you actually want to go to the concert and watch the seiyuu live performing past and recent songs from the franchise with the mannerisms of the characters they portray in the anime. It's called 2.5D idols, a blend between 3D and 2D. The 3rd concert BD+DVD has sold almost 37k copies, and not all attendants bought it, nor did some of the buyers attend the concert. But it is safe to assume that the number of people who will enter into the lottery will be above 37k, as the lottery application acceptance period runs from June 20 to July 21, and then again from July 26 to August 18. That is a long period for even more buyers to get Vol.1.

That guy who bought 55 copies was an extreme case. The singles (which don't have any bonuses bundled, insert song single 1/2 and the ED single) has sold above 50K/60K after a few weeks. The fanbase is clearly there for the anime, as the anime is one of the reasons why the fanbase has grown as big as it is. Before the anime, the latest single only sold 5K. So, the singles selling more than 10 times without any bonuses is big indeed.

And this also includes anime fans who want to see the girls live, the music fans. the mobage fans (the anime and music is also advertised in the game), idol fans. The problem with thinking these groups individually, is that they can be part of many or all of those groups I listed. Which is why it is not enough to not offer any type of bonuses in the anime BDs. If you have the fanbase, why not take advantage of it?
EjcJun 25, 2014 2:44 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jun 25, 2014 3:36 AM

Sep 2012
It really is all about the bonuses these days. While we all love anime, the people who buy it need more than just a disc in a box now. If you just want the anime then... well, you can probably download a pretty good copy of it and then you don't even need to get your ass off the couch to put the next disc in. From the box, sleeve, cover down to the label on the disc, buyers of physical media enjoy the whole experience and the more you can pack in the box, the better chance there is that people will think of buying it.

Bonuses are the perfect way to get the fans involved in other parts of the franchise and importantly for the large multimedia companies, into other media and other franchises they own. Want the LoveLive! bonus item in the Dengeki-G's magazine? So you buy it... and you happen to read the magazine and hey, there's this other series you didn't know about. Now they not only have you buying other LoveLive! products but other Dengeki products as well. You buy a LoveLive! book and leaflets for other books fall out.

Really, putting just a Bluray in the box is a lost opportunity today. Many 'Bonus' items are really teasers to get you to buy the books, then there are books with bundled OVAs to get you to buy the other Blurays, card games that point you to the anime, anime that point you to the card game... you get a few free cards in the Bluray volume which makes you want to try the game, buy booster packs. All very infectious.

Speaking of Infected, WIXOSS hasn't sold a single disc yet and it is really successful. The card game has sold very well all over the place. Mission accomplished.

No Game No Life has had such a large light novel boost that the anime sales may not matter. Mission accomplished.

Haikyuu!! manga boost. Mission accomplished.

Doesn't always work of course. WUG has a mobage too but it isn't anywhere close to LoveLive! and neither are their CD or anime sales. Mission... limited success. There is no easy repeatable formula.

LoveLive! School Idol Project should be commended on how well oiled their multi-media cross marketing machine has become, not criticized for offering bonus items.

If you watch anime live in Japan in late night, almost all the ads on Tokyo MX are for other anime, manga, figures, games, anime song CDs, usually made by the same company putting on the anime. The anime really is an ad stream vehicle for them as nothing else will pay much for advertising in the midnight to 3am timeslot. This is why most companies like to have at least SOMETHING running now, even having anime that isn't going to sell well is OK if that anime is an advertising vehicle for their other anime from past seasons which has Blurays coming out now, magazines, manga, CDs, games, figures.
Jun 25, 2014 4:46 AM

Apr 2013
hpulley said:
It really is all about the bonuses these days. While we all love anime, the people who buy it need more than just a disc in a box now. If you just want the anime then... well, you can probably download a pretty good copy of it and then you don't even need to get your ass off the couch to put the next disc in. From the box, sleeve, cover down to the label on the disc, buyers of physical media enjoy the whole experience and the more you can pack in the box, the better chance there is that people will think of buying it.

Bonuses are the perfect way to get the fans involved in other parts of the franchise and importantly for the large multimedia companies, into other media and other franchises they own. Want the LoveLive! bonus item in the Dengeki-G's magazine? So you buy it... and you happen to read the magazine and hey, there's this other series you didn't know about. Now they not only have you buying other LoveLive! products but other Dengeki products as well. You buy a LoveLive! book and leaflets for other books fall out.

Really, putting just a Bluray in the box is a lost opportunity today. Many 'Bonus' items are really teasers to get you to buy the books, then there are books with bundled OVAs to get you to buy the other Blurays, card games that point you to the anime, anime that point you to the card game... you get a few free cards in the Bluray volume which makes you want to try the game, buy booster packs. All very infectious.

QFT.

Rather than trying to stop piracy (that fight is lost anyway and will only result in lost of freedom/privacy in our every day life on the Internet anyway) this shows again that not just selling the BR alone is a good way to make it sell. It's not like people don't want BD.
It's extremely costly (I mean, did you see the PRICE? especially in japan? And you have to buy several for a single series...) for no reward except for the satisfaction of owning a true copy, and the satisfaction of having send money to reward companies involved in creating what you liked.
That's all well and good, but with the current economy in crisis and the ridiculous prices of BD, that's just not going to be enough for most people.
So convincing people to buy them by giving them special reward outside of the BD itself is the most efficient way to sell. That way people don't have the feeling that they just bough for 3/4K Yen something that is available for free in three mouse click for anyone not bothering with copyright laws.
Jun 25, 2014 9:57 AM

Sep 2011
had fun reading all your opinions about Love Live!'s sales.

but

hpulley said:

LoveLive! School Idol Project should be commended on how well oiled their multi-media cross marketing machine has become, not criticized for offering bonus items.

This
Jun 25, 2014 10:32 AM

Aug 2007
This time the only thing interesting is watching love live on the list. the second season is better than the first.
Jun 25, 2014 11:40 AM

Feb 2010
Pretty OK sales for Ace of the Diamond (DVD), I'm glad
Jun 25, 2014 11:58 AM
Feb 2012
LL doesn't deserve such sales tbh. The animation in-between performances is really crappy and not something I'd expect to see from Sunrise. It'd be a different story if it was redone for the BD releases.

Nozomi best girl, by the way. I mean come on, can't get any more obvious, fellas.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by Andromeda »»
43 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.