Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Did you like the English Dub of Attack on Titan?(thoughts in the comments please)
Jun 14, 2014 6:57 PM

Dec 2010
I recently bought part one of Attack on Titan and I really think the English Dub is really good. But when I look up some other people's thoughts on the dub a good number of comments I find are people who hate the dub because it is not "perfect". This makes me not want to watch the anime in anything other than English because those people are so annoying to watch or read their stupid comments. Also what what do you all think of the English dub of Attack on Titan. I really would like to know your opinions.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 14, 2014 7:20 PM

Jul 2013
It's alright. I think it's as good as any other dub, though all the relative newcomers do make for a refreshing change of pace from "the same seven voice actors recycled by FUNimation." Of course, when I say "just as good as any other dub," it tends to translate as "just as bad as any other dub" to most other people.

I actually think it fits AoT's setting better if they were to talk in English. Y'know, just my opinion, it takes away from the immersion when all the Europeans speak Japanese. But hey, it is what it is.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jun 14, 2014 7:24 PM
Aug 2012
I think people who won't watch something because it isn't dubbed are more annoying.
Jun 14, 2014 7:24 PM

Aug 2012
It's decent but wtf did they do to
Jun 14, 2014 7:32 PM

Aug 2013
I think it's good. Nothing phenomenal, but it definitely has its moments. Just rewatched Episodes 1-13 dubbed, and I do prefer it to the Japanese version honestly.

The casting was pretty damn close to perfect, to be honest. Matthew Mercer is spot on with Levi, Trina is a fantastic Mikasa, and Josh Grelle.. goddammit, is perfect as Armin. Whereas Armin's seiyuu was miscast, Josh Grelle nails him. Especially during his speech in episode 10 I believe.

Bryce Papenbrook gets quite a bit of flak as Eren. I don't think he's horrible. When he gets it right, he really gets it right. There are some deliveries that, holy shit, do they get to me. He tends to overdo some things at times, I guess, but overall, he's a solid Eren.

I think the best part about the dub is how unrestrained it is. In the Japanese dub, the delivery was great, it just seemed too... idk, safe? What I mean by that is just the battle cries just seemed weak and too refined. The english dub, on the other hand, doesn't restrain itself from voice cracks, spit, and everything else that seems unpleasant. Yeah, at times, it does seem unpleasant, but so does a post apocalyptic world where humans are at the bottom of the food chain. So yeah, the voice cracks add a lot of flavour, if that's the right word.

For example, the japanese Armin's scream in Episode 5 seemed too... flat. Good, but not convincing enough for me. Whereas Josh Grelle's scream was haunting to say the least. I felt his anguish, his horror, and his guilt.

So yeah, the dub gets a thumbs up from me.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jun 14, 2014 10:00 PM

Dec 2010
WatchingYouPost said:
I think people who won't watch something because it isn't dubbed are more annoying.

So what if I only want to watch it in ENGLISH as that is the language I speak .
Jun 14, 2014 10:02 PM

Sep 2013
This debate will never ever end.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 14, 2014 10:05 PM
Aug 2012
dgraymanfan said:
WatchingYouPost said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Is it that hard to read? Or maybe you can't deal with the ching chong voices?

To be clear, I'm not saying people can't have preferences. Just that not watching something with the sole reason being that it isn't dubbed is ignorant.
Jun 14, 2014 10:24 PM

Jul 2013
dgraymanfan said:
WatchingYouPost said:

GOD BLESS MURICA

With that attitude though, you're kind of as bad as the weebs who refuse to watch dubs no matter what.
Jun 14, 2014 10:25 PM

Jun 2014
Fantastic. Not all the delivery is good as it could be, but the casting is mostly spot on. When erens voice gets it right, he gets it perfect. Same with most everyone else.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jun 15, 2014 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
After watching the sub...The dub is a serious disaster.

Even my gf thought why does the protagonist sound like a whiney bitch now? Just horrible voice actors, its like they are trying to hard.
Jun 15, 2014 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
AsianKungFu said:

Welcome to MAL!
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jun 15, 2014 12:47 PM

Dec 2010
JabonHR said:
dgraymanfan said:

GOD BLESS MURICA

With that attitude though, you're kind of as bad as the weebs who refuse to watch dubs no matter what.

I watch subbed anime all the time so your point does not matter.
Jun 15, 2014 1:52 PM

Jul 2013
Vooo said:

Even my gf thought why does the protagonist sound like a whiney bitch now? Just horrible voice actors, its like they are trying to hard.

Did your girlfriend watch the sub as well? Because if she did, she should know that Eren always sounded like a whiny bitch. Because he always was like that.

dgraymanfan said:
JabonHR said:

GOD BLESS MURICA

Then why did you say something like "this makes me not want to watch the anime in anything other than English?" Are you so impressionable that you let the fanbase's comments dictate your thoughts?
Jun 15, 2014 7:12 PM

Jun 2012
personally I adore the dub so far!

I even find some voices better than the originals to be honest (Mikasa, Annie, Sasha and let's not forget Erwin! darn I love their english voices so much! <33)

I would say it helped the fact that I only watched the anime once when it was airing and I restrained myself from re-watching it until the dub version was released because I didn't want to be biased while comparing both :x

because yeah, it's the inevitable "the first one you hear the one you prefer" but in my case I'd say the english dub sounds better and fits better the atmosphere of the show~

now let's just wait for the german dub

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jun 15, 2014 9:32 PM

Mar 2013
i feel that attack on titan was an anime that had a lot of newbies who have never had to make the transition from sub to dub or vise versa before; and because of that i feel like a large amount of the hate is coming from that group of people who have never experienced here the characters they love with different voices and just assume that anything that is slightly different is bad. i mean some of the criticisms i have seen just leave no doubt in my mind that some of these people have no idea what they are talking about. i mean the way some people complain about translation for the dub makes it obvious that many of them only speak 1 language and have 0 knowledge of translation.

yes the dub is no masterpiece but it gets way to much hate for no reason
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jun 15, 2014 9:58 PM

Jul 2013
mattbenz99 said:

I find that this is the case with every dub. Regardless of the dub's actual performance, it'll be hated upon if the show isn't called "Cowboy Bebop" or "Baccano!"
Jun 15, 2014 10:01 PM

Mar 2013
JabonHR said:
mattbenz99 said:

I find that this is the case with every dub. Regardless of the dub's actual performance, it'll be hated upon if the show isn't called "Cowboy Bebop" or "Baccano!"
ya and the funny thing is the sub is usually not much better. i mean as much as people pretend that the japanese version is some gift from god it really isnt. yes some times they are really good but often they are around the same as the dub (excluding some very obvious exceptions). aot in particular had some really underwhelming voice acting at times.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jun 15, 2014 11:14 PM

Oct 2012
I honestly thought the dub was great, though Papenbrook's voice feels kinda limited when he screams. For the most part, it was spot on. The casting was great too, especially Armin's.

I generally don't mind what people say about dubs, but it definitely gets annoying when people complain about how "the voice doesn't fit the character", which is pretty biased because most people who say this watched it subbed first. Of course it's not going to fit the character right away because they've already got the Japanese voices burned into their minds. It takes time to get used to the new voices, but sadly, people will usually just disregard the dub as "bad" and neglect to even watch past the first episode.
Jun 16, 2014 5:23 AM

Apr 2010
AsianKungFu said:

It will when one side is eradicated. To arms gentlemen.
Jun 16, 2014 5:36 AM

Apr 2013
I listened to the dub and while I thought it was decent, what's up with the "titan"'s scream in the latest episode? A cat is more menacing than that...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jun 16, 2014 5:47 AM

Feb 2013
Not interested.
If there isn't any subbed version of an anime, I will watch it RAW and won't understand much of it or don't watch it at all.
Jun 16, 2014 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
I'm glad it got a good dub. It's an insanely popular show, and it's only getting more attention here in North America, and with that, you need some believable acting. It's getting a bunch of my friends into the medium.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jun 17, 2014 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not really a dubbed fan myself but there are some that i enjoy. It's just their opinion. You don't have to take it so seriously that you had to make a post about it ._.
This world is Rotten. Rotten people should be killed off to cleanse this world.
Jun 17, 2014 10:58 AM

Apr 2008
It's far from perfect, very far.
And they cut the OP. I know why, but they should've cut the endings instead. Or just ended each ep before ending starts, no one really needs the previews. No idea what they did with the previews, but if they kept them they should've cut them out. The 2 openings are too good to cut out.

I'm not a dub hater, I just don't like crap dubs.
I really enjoyed the dub of Samurai Champloo and Cromantia High. Cromantia is best in english actually.

Jun 17, 2014 4:20 PM

Aug 2012
Des said:
And they cut the OP. I know why, but they should've cut the endings instead. Or just ended each ep before ending starts, no one really needs the previews. No idea what they did with the previews, but if they kept them they should've cut them out. The 2 openings are too good to cut out.

I really enjoyed the dub of Samurai Champloo and Cromantia High. Cromantia is best in english actually.

After episode 1 the opening is full for rest of the series so far
Jun 18, 2014 11:11 AM

Aug 2013
sim0n2170 said:
Des said:

After episode 1 the opening is full for rest of the series so far

Yeah, but I still don't understand why they'd do that for the pilot..
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Jun 18, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2010
Dub lovers are annoying. They always have to make threads whenever dub haters complain about dubs.
Jun 18, 2014 11:56 AM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Dub lovers are annoying. They always have to make threads whenever dub haters complain about dubs.
yes and it call could of been avoided if the dub haters wouldnt insult dubs

Jun 18, 2014 12:00 PM

Apr 2013
mattbenz99 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
"But he did it first!"
an egomaniac and a fool

Jun 18, 2014 12:04 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
But how do you know that dub hater didn't have subs insulted by a dub lover first? And this all could have been avoided if dub lovers didn't make threads whining about dub haters insulting the dubs when they could have just ignored it like most everyone else does with other criticism.
Jun 18, 2014 1:01 PM

Dec 2010
JabonHR said:
Vooo said:

Did your girlfriend watch the sub as well? Because if she did, she should know that Eren always sounded like a whiny bitch. Because he always was like that.

dgraymanfan said:

Then why did you say something like "this makes me not want to watch the anime in anything other than English?" Are you so impressionable that you let the fanbase's comments dictate your thoughts?

I still am only watching this anime in english because I do not want to have to get used to other voices then get used to english again.
Jun 18, 2014 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
mattbenz99 said:
But how do you know that dub hater didn't have subs insulted by a dub lover first? And this all could have been avoided if dub lovers didn't make threads whining about dub haters insulting the dubs when they could have just ignored it like most everyone else does with other criticism.
that doesnt make any sense. this thread wouldnt exist if dub haters didnt insult dubs (many of which insult blindly)

Jun 18, 2014 2:08 PM

Mar 2014
I really enjoy both of them. I didn't want to wait for it to be dubbed, so I watched it in Japanese and absolutely loved it. The fact that it's dubbed is just a bonus and just as good, in my opinion.
Jun 18, 2014 7:36 PM

Jun 2009
mattbenz99 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

No, it would be avoided if everyone would just grow up and ignore topics they don't like. This is for both sides of this debate. If you don't like a topic, don't engage in it.
But, perhaps that's just me showing my age *shrug*
Jul 21, 2014 2:52 AM

Jun 2014
Dub lovers are annoying, but dub haters who trash dub fans are worse.
Jul 23, 2014 10:36 PM

Jun 2014
AnimeHAwk616 said:
I honestly thought the dub was great, though Papenbrook's voice feels kinda limited when he screams. For the most part, it was spot on. The casting was great too, especially Armin's.

I generally don't mind what people say about dubs, but it definitely gets annoying when people complain about how "the voice doesn't fit the character", which is pretty biased because most people who say this watched it subbed first. Of course it's not going to fit the character right away because they've already got the Japanese voices burned into their minds. It takes time to get used to the new voices, but sadly, people will usually just disregard the dub as "bad" and neglect to even watch past the first episode.

THIS
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Oct 19, 2015 2:31 PM
Oct 2015
Enema said:
i had to make an account just to reply to this stupid fucking comment... so just because i dont like hearing and watching instead of fucking reading thats a problem? subs are fucking overwhelming
Oct 22, 2015 3:33 AM
Oct 2015
im a fillipino and i dont undestand japanes for me its a big help.
and i hate those annoying people who hates dub so im with you
kyle<3anime
Dec 12, 2015 1:11 PM
Aug 2015
I don't understand why people watch dubs in the first place. My two main and only reasons for NOT watching subs are:
-because it's not in English and I don't like not being able to understand stuff of course
-Because I can't read and pay attention to the animation at the same time that much

I watch subs ONLY if I know for sure the dub isn't coming out any time soon.
Haikyuu and Free are an exception because I watched all of the episodes for those series in sub before I heard months later that there was a dub for those coming out.
~ Sie Sind Das Essen Und Wir Sind Die Jaeger ~ B]
Dec 12, 2015 7:13 PM

Jul 2014
I thought the dub was fine.
Feb 9, 2016 11:38 AM
Apr 2015
Just because you dislike a dub doesn't mean you're a dub hater in general. I actually enjoy a lot of dubs (especially FMA 03, which I think is even better than the sub in most ways). For a while, I only watched dubs. I only really got into subs when I wanted to watch Haibane Renmei and Funimation only released the sub on youtube. Since then, I've grown to really enjoy subs and I think that USUALLY the acting is better, and sometimes dubs can change significant lines.

I consider Attack On Titan's dub to be one of the worst dubs I've ever heard (but I really haven't seen that much anime yet). But I don't just irrationally hate it because it's a dub. I started out watching AoT dubbed, and while I liked it, I wasn't really sure. So I decided to switch to sub after about 9 episodes, I think. And it was the difference between night and day for me. The sound was mixed better, the acting was much better, and I just enjoyed the show a lot more.

I actually like a lot of the scriptwriting for the dub of AoT. When the characters are saying the same thing as they are in Japanese, I think they did a good job making the words sound good in English. (However, there are a few lines changed, removed, or simplified, which annoys me. I think they think we couldn't understand a complex idea or something).

But the bigger problem is the way everyone grates out words like they are on the verge of tears or they are shaking and about to collapse or something. It is unnatural. (Edward does this in the dub of FMA 03). They almost never use their actual voices, but continue to almost whine out every word.

An even bigger issue for me is the misinterpretation of the characters. Armin's voice in English is too old, and he's always unnaturally making his voice crack, and generally giving the impression of a big nerd. That's one way to interpret his character, I think, because he is more afraid than the others and he is smart. But I think there's a lot more to his character than that and I don't care for how he is played.

Mikasa is much more expressive in English. I don't have a huge problem with this, but it is a little bit of a misrepresentation of who she is. Also, when she is a kid, the actress tries to sound young and it sounds fake.

Eren's voice is better, but he is a little bit more obnoxious. I think Levi's voice is good; most of the others sound pretty good.

I always want there to be a good dub so that I can show anime to people who don't enjoy reading subtitles. That's the biggest issue for me. I showed Attack on Titan to my brother recently, and while he enjoys parts of it, he can't stand the way they talk because they always sound like they're crying.
deactivated1709242Feb 9, 2016 12:00 PM
Feb 9, 2016 2:19 PM

Dec 2010
DragonFeather said:
Just because you dislike a dub doesn't mean you're a dub hater in general. I actually enjoy a lot of dubs (especially FMA 03, which I think is even better than the sub in most ways). For a while, I only watched dubs. I only really got into subs when I wanted to watch Haibane Renmei and Funimation only released the sub on youtube. Since then, I've grown to really enjoy subs and I think that USUALLY the acting is better, and sometimes dubs can change significant lines.

I consider Attack On Titan's dub to be one of the worst dubs I've ever heard (but I really haven't seen that much anime yet). But I don't just irrationally hate it because it's a dub. I started out watching AoT dubbed, and while I liked it, I wasn't really sure. So I decided to switch to sub after about 9 episodes, I think. And it was the difference between night and day for me. The sound was mixed better, the acting was much better, and I just enjoyed the show a lot more.

I actually like a lot of the scriptwriting for the dub of AoT. When the characters are saying the same thing as they are in Japanese, I think they did a good job making the words sound good in English. (However, there are a few lines changed, removed, or simplified, which annoys me. I think they think we couldn't understand a complex idea or something).

But the bigger problem is the way everyone grates out words like they are on the verge of tears or they are shaking and about to collapse or something. It is unnatural. (Edward does this in the dub of FMA 03). They almost never use their actual voices, but continue to almost whine out every word.

An even bigger issue for me is the misinterpretation of the characters. Armin's voice in English is too old, and he's always unnaturally making his voice crack, and generally giving the impression of a big nerd. That's one way to interpret his character, I think, because he is more afraid than the others and he is smart. But I think there's a lot more to his character than that and I don't care for how he is played.

Mikasa is much more expressive in English. I don't have a huge problem with this, but it is a little bit of a misrepresentation of who she is. Also, when she is a kid, the actress tries to sound young and it sounds fake.

Eren's voice is better, but he is a little bit more obnoxious. I think Levi's voice is good; most of the others sound pretty good.

I always want there to be a good dub so that I can show anime to people who don't enjoy reading subtitles. That's the biggest issue for me. I showed Attack on Titan to my brother recently, and while he enjoys parts of it, he can't stand the way they talk because they always sound like they're crying.

This no longer matters what I see here is you whining and nothing else.
Feb 9, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2016
I totally do not get why people would watch subs, its weird right? dubs allow you to understand tone and the language so what is the problem? The only problem for me is going from manga to anime the voices don't always match up with what I imagined but it's not a deal breaker or anything and I usually get used to it. With attack on titian I just saw the anime so I thoroughly enjoy it not a complaint there. Although I think people are right with the recycling of voice actors but the business is hard to get into so there isn't very many to choose from so I heard. just my thoughts.
Feb 25, 2016 1:05 PM

Mar 2014
Boho, boho, the evil sub fans are oppressing me

Will this subogyny ever end?

OP, you can't expect the "evil sub fans" to be "nice" to you when you start attacking personally them for expressing their opinion on something they dislike although they most of the time didn't even insult the fans of the dub in the first place and only criticized the audio

This is the exact same type of mindset that SJWs have
FrugWerner said:
I totally do not get why people would watch subs, its weird right? dubs allow you to understand tone and the language so what is the problem?
Why are you assuming everybody in this thread thinks understanding the language being spoken in a movie/TV series is a necessity? Not everybody has grown up in an English speaking dub country. I'd rather watch something with good acting in a language I don't understand than watch something with bad acting in a language I understand
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 26, 2016 2:14 PM

Jan 2016
Comic_Sans said:

Why are you assuming everybody in this thread thinks understanding the language being spoken in a movie/TV series is a necessity? Not everybody has grown up in an English speaking dub country. I'd rather watch something with good acting in a language I don't understand than watch something with bad acting in a language I understand

Why are you assuming everybody thinks dubbed works have bad acting?
Feb 26, 2016 2:24 PM

Mar 2014
FrugWerner said:
Comic_Sans said:

Why are you assuming everybody thinks dubbed works have bad acting?
Except that I never said that? Besides, there is no reason for me to assume something like that considering that they dub everything in one of my home countries + you, OP and other users in this thread stated that you like dubs, or this specific dub

My point is that a lot of people dislike anime dubs because they think the voice acting is bad and that they therefore prefer watching the original version of the show since they think the voice acting is of higher quality, even if it means that they won't necessarily understand what's being said without the subtitles
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 26, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
if i watched Snk dub i dont think i will even love it as much i do now
Feb 26, 2016 3:03 PM

Jan 2016
I can actually agree that some dubs are bad but for most of the big budget stuff they usually are well made. Less mainstream is probably better with subs though.
Apr 16, 2016 7:06 AM
Dec 2013
CannedKindness said:

i really don't mean to be this rude but you really don't understand anything about the characters nor how these performances work if you called it a bad dub because the perfgormances were really breathtaking . every emotion and energy put into them were really brilliant and heartfelt . it would honestly be impossible for anybody to say they're bad . not one performance was bad and honestly i don't have any idea what you're hearing . if armin's voice was more boyish like say maxey whitehead those moments he had wouldn't be impactful . having josh was a brilliant and smart move even considering armin is 14-15. mikasa wasn't really all that emotionless in the sub either . subs can express emotions different from dubs and mikasa showed some emotions . before the dub came out people wanted travis willingham as levi and erwin and even having patrick seitz as erwin making me question if they really understood the characters . thjey also complained about funimation having the same voice actors even though that's been that way for every voice actors even outside of texas for years . why does funimation get you so annoyed all of a sudden ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.