Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2009 10:03 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I have to say that I really enjoyed the story it presented. Even if it was on the morbid side. I thought for sure the Old Crocodile would get eatin' at the end.
Dec 16, 2009 3:53 AM

Jul 2009
I watched this a while ago.

One of the best anime ever created.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
May 7, 2010 6:46 AM

Dec 2009
the crocodile and octopus were an example of bad romance XDD
Jul 4, 2010 3:19 PM

Jun 2010
I kept seeing the croc as mankind and the octopus as the Earth; the crocodile overestimates the resources (legs) of the octopus and takes from them even though they are what provide for him (allowing the octopus to hunt). Even when he finally realizes that he's brought his companion to the brink (only one leg left), he can't resist taking the last of her assets....and further still, he can't resist destroying her completly even after being forced to care for her in her invalidity.

Octopus legs grow back if they get a chance, by the way.
FronzelJul 23, 2010 9:40 PM
Nov 6, 2010 1:23 PM

Feb 2009
Fronzel said:
I kept seeing the croc as mankind and the octopus as the Earth; the crocodile overestimates the resources (legs) of the octopus and takes from them even though they are what provide for him (allowing the octopus to hunt). Even when he finally realizes that he's brought his companion to the brink (only one leg left), he can't resist taking the last of her assets....and further still, he can't resist destroying her completly even after being forced to care for her in her invalidity.

So basically, the moral of the story is that you can destroy the Earth in a terrible way and when the Earth is gone, you'll just find another resource that's even better then the last that will provide with a life of comfort and luxury? That doesn't sound like a very good moral to me :/

Felt bad for the ocotopus... Although it was rather stupid.
Mar 22, 2011 11:02 AM

Feb 2010
I expected the story to end on a meaningful note. It didn't. The payoff just isn't there, not even for fifteen minutes.
Jul 8, 2012 9:46 PM

Apr 2012
Hmm yeah I liked noticing him gradually turn red but felt the explanation for it at the end wasn't as good as what I'd imagined in my head, I didn't want an answer like that.

I really felt for the octo and croc's crying granddaughter at the start!

I was also impressed they recorded the music in Sudan. My inner pedant was saying "these aren't ancient Egyptians they must be Nubians from further down the Nile around Kush, fair enough it still works. Oh awesome they made the effort to record Sudanese tribal music specifically. Top marks!".*

*I have no idea what this is about or exactly when it is set, but this got me thinking - thousands of years after the original pyramids were built, the Nubians were actually in charge of Egypt and even building mini-pyramids themselves while the northern culture was in decline. They respected the old Egyptian traditions, venerating the old gods etc and as such were accepted as Pharoahs, so possibly it's all a metaphor for Egypt's abandonment of its heritage (the croc family have tired of their elders' decadence or sth) and its later resurgence under Kushite rule, but MOST LIKELY IT'S NOT. This interpretation makes as little sense as any other really~

Yamamura is fairly cryptic but a feeling I've taken from his other works, that's probably true here is:
Equilibrium in nature must be respected, or it will be reached in unpredictable, unfair and sometimes brutal ways. Curb your appetites because something must be sacrificed!
BlackoutingJul 8, 2012 11:26 PM
Nov 24, 2018 2:31 PM

Oct 2015
Pissed me off that the crocodile got to live longer and in luxury while what he did to the octopus was really cruel. After all the octopus did for that crocodile, fishing for him even though she had missing tentacles. I think this was a relationship wise metaphorical story, the crocodile is definitely a guy and the octopus a woman.

Overall it had a weight of a story and story telling was tops, too bad I didn't enjoy the ending.

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 2, 2023 6:32 AM

Jan 2016
https://vk.com/video10756243_114124464

Maybe the true message is don't help old people because they are cunts?
PxHCMay 2, 2023 7:07 AM

More topics from this board

» Knowledge

shegoblin - Jul 28, 2008

2 by Contemporary0091 »»
Feb 3, 2018 6:38 AM

» wtf why japanize the name of THIS of all things

simo000 - Jul 8, 2010

11 by Kippercha »»
Nov 6, 2010 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.