Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 7, 2014 9:51 AM

Dec 2013
Man this episode. Steph was such a try-hard but just kept losing every game lol. Doesn't learn to give up, but I guess thats just one great thing about her. Also Steph on a leash in that costume? Yes please. I laughed so hard at the part where Sora realised that if warbeasts looked like how Steph was dressed in that cute animal girl outfit then that means the kingdom of the warbeasts are filled with cute busty anime girls with "real" animal ears ^^ That part was just pure gold. He looked so concentrated and determined about it too, kind of reminded me of a part in the series - Outbreak Company. Then Shiro started going all super cute and innocent (evil innocence) and started wearing Steph's pantsu on her head along with Steph's bra~
Then the last part where Jibril makes an appearance, it was hilarious when everything was so godly and holy and suddenly when "death/angel" spoke, they all collapsed on the floor saying her voice ruined her holiness. That was also pretty funny. Overall, I give this episode yet another 5/5 because it deserved it. Each of these episodes has epicness that doesn't end and it keeps making you LOL.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
May 7, 2014 9:52 AM

Jul 2012
That Laputa Reference! even changed clothing :')

as an episode though I guess it was ok
May 7, 2014 10:00 AM

Apr 2010
Stephanie didn't learn much from her defeat during the first part of the episode tho it did seems she was learning towards that end.
Tho Sora committed a sin by ordering Stephanie wear glasses, tho this is a common problem in anime recently ruining girls by making them wear glasses.

The accent of the girl at the end was great can't wait to see what will happen next week.
Would love to hear more of that accent.
May 7, 2014 10:02 AM
Jul 2012
Every freaking episode... Just makes me wanna go back and watch every previous episode so I don't have to wait a full week :P
May 7, 2014 10:02 AM

Mar 2012
Funny as hell as usual no game no life never dissapoints me hehe

Oh man i cant wait for the fight with jibril i have been looking forward to it, but some of the stuff they say are just too complicated to understand, not the info itself but the speed and time in which they talk is too fast understand and the eng sub dont do it right.

I really need to brush up on my Japanese cause i cant keep going on with sub only
May 7, 2014 10:03 AM

Dec 2013
Kurini said:
Now, I'm starting to think that it's shame there are only 12 episodes.

I second this. Hopefully they come to their senses and extend it to a 24 episode series :D
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
May 7, 2014 10:05 AM

Mar 2012
kingsheep812 said:
Kurini said:
Now, I'm starting to think that it's shame there are only 12 episodes.

I second this. Hopefully they come to their senses and extend it to a 24 episode series :D

Even if they dont i can guarantee u already that this is one show that will definatly have more future seasons just by already looking at success and ratings it is already recieving
May 7, 2014 10:06 AM

Jun 2008
kingsheep812 said:
Man this episode. Steph was such a try-hard but just kept losing every game lol. Doesn't learn to give up, but I guess thats just one great thing about her. Also Steph on a leash in that costume? Yes please. I laughed so hard at the part where Sora realised that if warbeasts looked like how Steph was dressed in that cute animal girl outfit then that means the kingdom of the warbeasts are filled with cute busty anime girls with "real" animal ears ^^ That part was just pure gold. He looked so concentrated and determined about it too, kind of reminded me of a part in the series - Outbreak Company. Then Shiro started going all super cute and innocent (evil innocence) and started wearing Steph's pantsu on her head along with Steph's bra~
Then the last part where Jibril makes an appearance, it was hilarious when everything was so godly and holy and suddenly when "death/angel" spoke, they all collapsed on the floor saying her voice ruined her holiness. That was also pretty funny. Overall, I give this episode yet another 5/5 because it deserved it. Each of these episodes has epicness that doesn't end and it keeps making you LOL.

Actaully, it wasn't her voice, but what she said. She was speaking with god-awful Engrish.

Also, I hope, that they will finish the game in the next episode. And that they include Jibril trying to force her Osake dialect...

May 7, 2014 10:12 AM

Jul 2013
Amazing episode as usual. That ending was epic! Can't wait for next episode.
May 7, 2014 10:17 AM

Dec 2013
GreenDrag said:

Actaully, it wasn't her voice, but what she said. She was speaking with god-awful Engrish.

Also, I hope, that they will finish the game in the next episode. And that they include Jibril trying to force her Osake dialect...

I just went back to check it, and I'm pretty sure her accent hence (her voice) that ruined the moment as well. Though yes her grammer was off. I don't know about you, but normal girls don't sound like that.

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
May 7, 2014 10:17 AM

Jul 2013
lol steph sure is courage (or should I say stupid) for keeping challenging them.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
May 7, 2014 10:19 AM

Sep 2009
Hell yes, Yukari Tamura is perfect as Jibril
May 7, 2014 10:20 AM

Jan 2011
Tyrantarmy6 said:
lol steph sure is courage (or should I say stupid) for keeping challenging them.

She actually got a clue and went for the fulfillment part. Too bad Shiro ruined it :D
May 7, 2014 10:21 AM
Oct 2011
Laputa reference was epic!

Good episode, that preview was good I think.
May 7, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2011
"Only an iditot starts a game they can't win." yeah, true that. xD
May 7, 2014 10:37 AM

Apr 2014
this duo is so awesome they're so funny
poor steph
May 7, 2014 10:42 AM
Feb 2014
GreenDrag said:
kingsheep812 said:

If you watch the preview for the next episode it shows THAT (big spoiler so don't open if you don't know the LN)
, hence they will end it, but dunno if it will cover what comes after that ;-)

The episode was again nice, the only thing I'm a little bit sad about is that they cut the scene that explains how children can be born in this world :D
May 7, 2014 10:43 AM

Nov 2013
Yep, Steph is the Ms. Fanservice of this series. There's bound to be exhibitionist/animal ear/slave/humiliation doujins of her in the future. I can't tell if she's persistent or just plain satisfyingly stupid. I certainly look forward to more lewd Steph. Where can I adopt a Steph ;3?

You would think Shiro and Sora would hit it big in Vegas with their thorough knowledge of games. Who would've thought they were actually doing research and watching their step before attempting to take over the Beast kingdom.

LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
May 7, 2014 10:57 AM

Sep 2013
Animal girls or Angels? that's one tough decision ;)

Steph <3
May 7, 2014 10:59 AM
Oct 2012
Approva said:
Not as good as the last, but still pretty awesome.
What was up with Steph 'crying' scales..?

Those were "scales falling from the eyes". It's an idiom from Acts 9:18 and Paul's conversion; about how suddenly someone saw something as it truly was as opposed to how they thought it was true.

They were also her contact lenses, which is why she switched to glasses :-)

This author is extremely literate, so anything that doesn't quite make sense is probably because one doesn't get the reference.

Lovely episode start to finish, nice use of fanservice to distract from the fact that 88% of this episode was exposition. Very well done.
May 7, 2014 11:04 AM

Apr 2012
as usual, lots of sibling love and steph tease. Really reminds me of my cute imouto whom I will see next week.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
May 7, 2014 11:06 AM

Nov 2008
Good stuff - and now its Jibril time ;3 though I wonder how far the anime will take the adaption.. I was hoping wed get to the rematch with Clammy/Feel
May 7, 2014 11:06 AM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Approva said:

Those were "scales falling from the eyes". It's an idiom from Acts 9:18 and Paul's conversion; about how suddenly someone saw something as it truly was as opposed to how they thought it was true.

This author is extremely literate, so anything that doesn't quite make sense is probably because one doesn't get the reference.

Lovely episode start to finish, nice use of fanservice to distract from the fact that 88% of this episode was exposition. Very well done.

Huh, so that wasn't random comedy, but a specific (and rather obscure) biblical reference. Makes me wonder what others I've overlooked.
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
May 7, 2014 11:11 AM
Feb 2014
Notchrishansen said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Approva said:

Huh, so that wasn't random comedy, but a specific (and rather obscure) biblical reference. Makes me wonder what others I've overlooked.

I really want to know what the Ba*su reference was :D

The scales, Laputa and the "Game of Life" cracked me up xD
Caleb8980May 7, 2014 11:46 AM
May 7, 2014 11:17 AM

May 2011
Great one like the other. A good reference to Laputa (even the song change for a remake of one in the film). Looking forward for the next one ^^
自分の握る剣に怯えぬ者に剣を握る資格は無い。
May 7, 2014 11:19 AM

Nov 2013
Laputa really exists! Lol

Really funny episode.
May 7, 2014 11:21 AM
May 2014
I LOVE SORA'S YANDERE-LIKE EYES!!

KYAAA FANGIRL~~~~

btw people what do you think is cuter,
sora x shiro
or
sora x steph?
as for mei i ship sora x steph IDK WHY BUT I SHIP THEM >w<
May 7, 2014 11:21 AM

Jun 2013
Steph needs to start winning some games, Sora are Shiro are just too cool. Hope next episode will be just as good or better!
May 7, 2014 11:31 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Oh wow didn't know that the scales was actually a reference to something (or an idiom), now I know :) It's always nice to read about things that I have overlooked. But the Laputa one was pretty funny, I love how the siblings even tried the spell XD Overall, fun episode, not the funniest, but I liked learning about their world, and how as Sora said, Imanity doesn't even seem like they're trying because he and Shiro can't find anything related to other races' weaknesses.
May 7, 2014 11:38 AM
Oct 2012
Notchrishansen said:

There is a difference between something that is an "idiom" and a "reference". The idiom references the bible, however the show references the idiom. Most people who use the idiom have no idea that it references the bible, but "scales fall from one's eyes" is a very well known idiom in English and I imagine in most European languages as well. It is so common that one can search for it in common dictionaries.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/The+scales+fall+from+eyes
May 7, 2014 11:41 AM

Jul 2013
See kids, knowledge is everthing.
May 7, 2014 11:42 AM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Notchrishansen said:

There is a difference between something that is an "idiom" and a "reference". The idiom references the bible, however the show references the idiom. Most people who use the idiom have no idea that it references the bible, but "scales fall from one's eyes" is a very well known idiom in English and I imagine in most European languages as well. It is so common that one can search for it in common dictionaries.

Oh...first I've ever heard of that idiom.
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
May 7, 2014 11:43 AM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:

That was the magical spell in Laputa that caused the island to fall apart. That was why they were so disappointed that nothing happened.

And while their use of it was primarily a joke, it also does fit into the psychological profile of the two (think about it, what people would try to destroy something without reason just to re-enact a movie?)

Also, happy to see that the writer specifically mentioned "psychological state" this episode, supports my Kurumi interpretation last episode and why the king died. Also like that they really solidified that games only have positive rules (i.e. rules that have been stated or are inherent in the game), not assumed rules (such as using a new deck in trying to guess the Ace of Spades).

Notchrishansen said:
Oh...first I've ever heard of that idiom.

NP, there are so many expressions that people use that they don't know where they come from (usually the King James Bible or Shakespeare), so I like going that extra step and go to the original source. Must be the historian in me!

Have you heard the quote: "What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive?" That is my favorite for showing the importance of tracing things. Without cheating, who do people think this quote is from?

Mod Edit: Merged posts; please use the edit button.
julyanMay 8, 2014 6:38 AM
May 7, 2014 11:50 AM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Caleb8980 said:

That was the magical spell in Laputa that caused the island to fall apart. That was why they were so disappointed that nothing happened.

And while their use of it was primarily a joke, it also does fit into the psychological profile of the two (think about it, what people would try to destroy something without reason just to re-enact a movie?)

Also, happy to see that the writer specifically mentioned "psychological state" this episode, supports my Kurumi interpretation last episode and why the king died. Also like that they really solidified that games only have positive rules (i.e. rules that have been stated or are inherent in the game), not assumed rules (such as using a new deck in trying to guess the Ace of Spades).

Yeah got that out already but thanks anyways :D
As said I knew Laputa cuz of Gulliver's Travels ^^

Takuan_Soho said:
Notchrishansen said:

That was actually my problem when I first saw it; I'm german so english idioms just don't make *click* in my head when I hear them, but thankfully after the scene ended I got it xD
May 7, 2014 11:52 AM

Jan 2014
Poor Steph... Losing so many times, must have been embarassing
but she still kept on fighting for her goal. Respect. And now Blank,
towards the next victory we go! Looking forward to the next ep!ˇ
May 7, 2014 11:56 AM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
"What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive?" That is my favorite for showing the importance of tracing things. Without cheating, who do people think this quote is from?

Truth be told...Hell if I know. Yet another idiom, I've never heard of.

Mod Edit: Removed delete quote.
julyanMay 8, 2014 6:40 AM
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
May 7, 2014 12:02 PM

Apr 2013
Oh my god. I absolutely lost it with the Laputa reference and Blank's change of clothes. I had to pause the episode for a couple of minutes. And poor Steph (although I can't complain with her being the fanservice). Even her grandfather had no mercy on her. This was a funny episode but not as great as the previous ones. However, it was a transition episode to what seems like an epic confrontation that is coming up with the "angel/death". I can't wait for next week. Aschente!

Also, Stephservice = Bestservice.
dankzelMay 7, 2014 8:38 PM
May 7, 2014 12:03 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm... I only know that "scale fall from one's eyes" is a common Japanese idiom. I've seen it many times in several manga.

After some googling it seems that the idiom is really borrowed from the Bible, so kudos to that.

http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Body_part_idioms

目から鱗が落ちる me kara uroko ga ochiru - lit. scales fall from eyes - suddenly be able to see the real situation/understand something - see the light (From Bible)
May 7, 2014 12:10 PM

Feb 2014
Stop being such a Steph and feeling bad for her :P
Also i love Soro reasoning for taking over WereBeast for them furrys
Howl's moving castle <3
May 7, 2014 12:22 PM
Oct 2012
Notchrishansen said:
Truth be told...Hell if I know. Yet another idiom, I've never heard of.

Ah, that wasn't an idiom, that was a quote from a poem. It would be more a metaphor than an idiom. An idiom is a phrase which has a meaning that it's mere words do not explain (i.e. "its raining cats and dogs"), the idiom is formed by the gap between the literal meaning of the word and the meaning of the expression.

A simile compares two things. So if telling lies is LIKE a tangled web that would be simile. A metaphor generally has an implied third term relates the two stated terms:

So in the quote I used:
Deceiving someone soon becomes a complex mess,
A spider web that becomes tangled is a complex mess,
Therefore Deceiving some is similar to a tangled spider web because both are complex messes.

/Pedantic mode off, that is until the next time!
May 7, 2014 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
Steph's grandfather when she lost xD
Shiro and Sora's reaction when they learned that Steph is smart.
So warbeast looks like that, Shiro wantingbit for the ears.
Steph kept on losing was funny. Shiro goes against Steph so her brother won't be fulfilled =)
That Laputa reference!
Flubel that can mind read, can't wait till the game they play!
May 7, 2014 12:28 PM
Feb 2014
FatefulLove said:
Steph's grandfather when she lost xD
Shiro and Sora's reaction when they learned that Steph is smart.
So warbeast looks like that, Shiro wantingbit for the ears.
Steph kept on losing was funny. Shiro goes against Steph so her brother won't be fulfilled =)
That Laputa reference!
Flubel that can mind read, can't wait till the game they play!

You got a little bit tangled up in the different races ;-)

The warbeasts are the ones with a 6th sense that is equal to reading minds and are ranked 14th.

Flugel or actually Flügel (Fluegel) is german for wings and just describes the most prominent feature of the number 6 ranked creatures ^^
May 7, 2014 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Hilarious episode. Easily AOTY to me so far.
Around and around the cycle goes.
May 7, 2014 12:32 PM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:

The real shame is now many native english speakers don't know about Laputa except for it being from some Japanese animation. If you tell them its from "Gulliver's Travels" they will nod their head and perhaps vaguely remember something about a human being tied down by small people, but that is about the limit of their knowledge of one of the great comedic novels of all time (you have to love a country where "important people" are followed around by servants who smack them with inflated sheep bladders in order to get their attention, or where scientists are studying how to build a building from the top to the bottom or to extract sunshine from cucumbers or try to put the nutritional value back into sh@t).
May 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Sep 2013
Stop being such a Steph, Steph :3

Her grandpa when she lost XD

The angel's voice and their reactions made me LOL so hard :P
May 7, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
Another great episode.Such a shame this show isn't 2-cour - hopefully there is going to be announcement for season 2 at the end of 1.
Laputa really exists!

That new girl is such a hottie tho.I heard there are many great moments with her in LN, i really hope they will animate all/most of them.
May 7, 2014 12:43 PM

Jun 2010
Lol, poor Steph. Lost almost all of her clothing. Still hot though.

Good episode, lol that ending. Didn't expect the "angel" to speak like that. Seems like she's going to be a great character. Can't wait.
May 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Dec 2012
An alright episode, the comedy was a little much but the tiny bit of the episode that was serious was good.
May 7, 2014 1:08 PM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
Caleb8980 said:

The real shame is now many native english speakers don't know about Laputa except for it being from some Japanese animation. If you tell them its from "Gulliver's Travels" they will nod their head and perhaps vaguely remember something about a human being tied down by small people, but that is about the limit of their knowledge of one of the great comedic novels of all time (you have to love a country where "important people" are followed around by servants who smack them with inflated sheep bladders in order to get their attention, or where scientists are studying how to build a building from the top to the bottom or to extract sunshine from cucumbers or try to put the nutritional value back into sh@t).

To be fair that is also one of the most iconic scenes of Gulliver's Travels but yeah the whole story is comedy gold :D
May 7, 2014 1:08 PM

Apr 2013
I liked the comedy this episode, gave me some decent chuckles.
So Steph is intelligent when it comes to anything that aren't games? Who would've thought.
Pretty fun episode overall, I hear the next one's going to be amazing. Can't wait.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One decade later and still no Season 2

JustSomeone15 - May 16

32 by crockmez »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.