Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2014 1:57 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
"For it must be confest, that however the circumstances of human nature may render an union necessary, and however those passions of lust and natural affection may seem to render it unavoidable; yet there are other particulars in our natural temper, and in our outward circumstances, which are very incommodious, and are even contrary to the requisite conjunction. Among the former, we may justly esteem our selfishness to be the most considerable. I am sensible, that, generally speaking, the representations of this quality have been carried much too far; and that the descriptions, which certain philosophers delight so much to form of mankind in this particular, are as wide of nature as thinking, that men have no affection for any thing beyond themselves, I am of opinion, that tho' it be rare to meet with one, who loves any single person better than himself; yet 'tis as rare to meet with one, in whom all the kind affections, taken together, do not over-balance all the selfish."

- David Hume, Treatise on Human Nature

There are many parallels with the selfish drive, that philosophers such as Hobbes believe, that is part of the human ingenuity in the natural condition that Hume makes reference to. What would be your response to Hume about the behavioral psychology of human nature?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 27, 2014 7:40 PM
Jan 2012
I would argue that there is no such perfect balance because it is very much a perspective issue. What is good or bad for an individual, for a society, or for a planet really depends on what lens you are looking through. You can categorize many people as overly selfish, even with objective standards, but there is still a lens involved. Maybe I'm devolving to a more generalized answer than what you might have wanted, sorry. Will keep thinking and see if I come up with anything else.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Philosophical Quote Debate #2: Max Stirner

GonzoLewd - Dec 15, 2013

1 by Neostorm-X »»
Jun 27, 2022 11:01 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introduction Thread ( 1 2 )

Lithic - Jan 26, 2014

70 by morimemen »»
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 PM

» Club Relations ( 1 2 )

Danish - Apr 12, 2009

69 by missbellerophon »»
Aug 2, 2016 3:02 PM

» THE COVER PHOTO

PsychoX - May 3, 2016

0 by PsychoX »»
May 3, 2016 4:34 AM

» To the Bookshelf: Post Your Latest Texts

PleiadesRising - Sep 25, 2012

10 by removed-user »»
Jul 6, 2015 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.