Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 23, 2014 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
This thread is for people who are interested in lucid dreaming.

A lucid dream is a dream in which you realise that you're dreaming. You're able to control the dream and do basically anything you want to, how amazing is that?! Interested? Then this thread is for you!

I've read lots of lucid dream tutorials, and I'm going to share the most important steps I've learned with you all (note that I'm a beginner):

1. Get a dream journal.
Write everything you remember from a dream into the journal. This is a very important step. This will help your brain understand that dreams are important to you. Some people may think that they don't dream whatsoever, this is not true. Everyone dreams, however, some people (like me) have hard times attempting to remember them. Don't worry though, keep trying to remember and eventually you'll remember them with ease. It can be a pain, but trust me, it will be so worth it in the end.

2. Reality checks.
You must create a habit of checking whether you're in a dream or not. There are many reality checks, pick one that is the most suitable one for you. I use the two-finger into the palm method. You use the index and middle finger to stab your palm, and if you really are dreaming when doing this, the fingers will go through the palm.

I believe these are the two most important steps. There may be more steps that may be helpful to you, but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible to prevent people from getting discouraged.

Please note that this requires a lot of patience. Some people may succeed earlier, while some people may succeed after a long time. The latter goes for me, unfortunately. Not giving up, though!

I have been doing this on and off for half a year, and I have only succeeded to lucid dream ~5 times which lasted for a few minutes. And dozens of a few second ones. I need to try harder!

If you have experiences with lucid dreaming, please share them! I'm very interested.

For people who need further assistance, feel free to ask!
removed-userApr 23, 2014 12:01 PM
Apr 23, 2014 5:47 AM
Dec 2013
You want us to discuss lucid dreaming?

I had around three lucid dreams, the first time was great. The other two lucid dreams were freaky as hell. Anyway, I tried following those steps but I gave up halfway because of laziness.
Apr 23, 2014 5:48 AM

Mar 2014
I've tried it before, but haven't exactly perfected it so I ended up stopping. I can never do the reality checks, no matter how often I did them when I was awake.

After trying really hard, I just stopped dreaming for a long while.

The reason I took it up to begin with was to gain control over my nightmares where I was overwhelmed with guilt because I killed somebody, or I was dying.
Apr 23, 2014 5:53 AM
Jan 2014
I never had a lucid dream.
Sounds fun though, might try the dream journal stuff.
Apr 23, 2014 5:55 AM
Dec 2013
WOAH , this is the first I have heard of this. sugoi.
I remember I had a nightmare when I was chased by a stranger. I could control where to run, does that count as a lucid dream?
Anyways, Every where I ran was all dark, could not see anything but I knew some fag was chasing me, Scary.
Apr 23, 2014 5:57 AM

Apr 2014
There is a fantastic movie about this called Waking Life; same guy who made A Scanner Darkly. The reality check thing you mentioned is absolutely right, in the movie it is recommended that you get into the habit of flicking a light switch because apparently in dreams light switches do nothing.

Things can become very confusing if you're like me and you live in a crappy apartment where the light switches really don't work anyway. I'm not really sure of anything anymore.
Apr 23, 2014 6:00 AM
Jul 2018
Mine isn't perfected either; I still have long ways to go. I first started lucid dreaming without the help of reality checks (perhaps because I was watching/reading stuff about lucid dreaming all day). And I did reality checks easily 50 times a day.

It is very important to improve your dream recall first. You can lucid dream and easily forget it once you wake up! I believe it also helps you become more conscious in your dreams.

It's all about dat dream recall.
Apr 23, 2014 6:02 AM

Dec 2013
I have a hint for u ( not really):
If you have played the 3 kings game, your chance having lucid dream increased by 50%
( I get that information from my left and it was correct, I got more LD after playing that game)
moonnyaApr 23, 2014 6:07 AM
Apr 23, 2014 6:03 AM

Aug 2013
I've successfully achieved lucid dreaming several times (although far from perfected), and it's an amazing experience. I did however encounter some unpleasant things as well which have discouraged me from trying it any further. I might give it a go later again, though.

Fun stuff.
Apr 23, 2014 6:04 AM
Jul 2018
ScazoN said:
I remember I had a nightmare when I was chased by a stranger. I could control where to run, does that count as a lucid dream?
Anyways, Every where I ran was all dark, could not see anything but I knew some fag was chasing me, Scary.

If you knew that you were dreaming, then you were lucid dreaming.

excy said:
There is a fantastic movie about this called Waking Life; same guy who made A Scanner Darkly. The reality check thing you mentioned is absolutely right, in the movie it is recommended that you get into the habit of flicking a light switch because apparently in dreams light switches do nothing.

Things can become very confusing if you're like me and you live in a crappy apartment where the light switches really don't work anyway. I'm not really sure of anything anymore.

I've heard that some people are able to turn on the light in their dreams, so it indeed is very tricky, this also applies to different reality checks, so, keep trying different ones! A good reality check is to double check the time since it will always change in your dream!
Apr 23, 2014 6:08 AM

Mar 2014
Many times. Always something whacky. Sometimes disturbing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 6:11 AM
Jul 2018
Please do not hesitate to share your lucid dream stories (what you experienced during it and how you achieved it). I'm very interested.
Apr 23, 2014 9:56 AM
Jan 2014
So.. If I'm aware that I'm dreaming is that considered lucid dreaming ? I guess that happens to me a lot then. I tend to dream that my house is underwater and it's infested with snakes. Unpleasant as shit. But it does happen from time to time.
Apr 23, 2014 10:02 AM

Jul 2013
Another lucid dream thread.

I've attained lucidity many times. And most of the time i will fly. It is probably the greatest thing that I've felt in a dream.
Apr 23, 2014 10:18 AM

Apr 2013
learn to search thru the forums man.. we had an exact thread with close to 10 pages if I remember correctly..
Apr 23, 2014 11:37 AM

Jun 2008
i've had one couple of years ago, it was a white empty room, right after i spawned a group of milf prostitues i woke up from too much of excitement -_-
Apr 23, 2014 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Dizzee said:
i've had one couple of years ago, it was a white empty room, right after i spawned a group of milf prostitues i woke up from too much of excitement -_-

I usually wake up instantly due to excitement. I've found that it's much easier to control it during deep sleep. Also, I've heard rubbing your hands as you're waking up prevents it, haven't tried it though.
Apr 23, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2008
Another thread about lucid dreaming..
I have lucid dreams every night.
Apr 23, 2014 4:29 PM

Apr 2014
Soren333 said:
Another lucid dream thread.

I've attained lucidity many times. And most of the time i will fly. It is probably the greatest thing that I've felt in a dream.
This and basically doing whatever the fuck you want
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 23, 2014 6:52 PM

Jan 2008
I've been into lucid dreams a few years back. I can still get into it sometimes, but it isn't perfect. I can still remember most dreams clearly because of the dreaming though. Most of the times, I'm in the middle of a zombie apocalypse though. Those dreams kick ass, unless it isn't a lucid dream and I die at the end, or it IS a lucid dream and I manage to fuck up anyways.

One of the other frequent dreams I have is that I'm at a theme park that does exist, however, in my dream the layout is totally different (It's the same layout pretty much every time though.) and the rides are fucked up as hell, as they're either death traps or real.

The other frequent one I have is where I'm just in a random city/village I don't know. These are the most fun when I'm lucid, as I can explore the entire place and talk to the locals there.

Last night I happened to have a real strange lucid dream though. At first I was convinced I was at the house I was born in and felt really nostalgic about it. After exploring a bit, a few of my friends came over to play videogames, after letting them in though, I noticed I did not know this house at all. I didn't trust it at all and tried to keep them outside at all cost. The dream ended right when I felt some evil presence in there.

As for the reality check, I've been advised to check the time frequently, as time does not flow as it should be. Clocks always tell the same time, or there's huge time gaps in mere seconds.

ScazoN said:

In a lucid dream, if you actually turn around, you notice the stranger/monster/etc is usually someone you know and it reflects how you're trying to avoid something in reality.
Apr 23, 2014 6:54 PM

Apr 2013
I believe I experienced this yesterday, it was short lived though.
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 23, 2014 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
I've had it some times before.

Pretty stellar stuff.

The key to staying in it is too be calm and patient. If you get excited, you wake up.
Apr 23, 2014 6:56 PM

Feb 2014
Personally tried lucid dreaming didn't work. I notice though when extremely tired and after allnighters staying up for over 24-48hrs. I tend to be able to remember dreams for awhile, and I'm aware of when im dreaming due to the tiredness. At one point used to wake up through sleep cycles and able to go back to the dream I was having straight away when I noticed I had a few more hours left of rest.

EDIT;

Interesting experience when I became aware that I was dreaming I still wasn't able to control dreams in a sense of full control such as doing exactly what I want.
BlackYuUKApr 23, 2014 7:00 PM
Apr 23, 2014 6:56 PM

Jan 2014
I love it. I stopped doing it because the process I go through to get a lucid dream takes to long and I'd rather just sleep quick.
Apr 24, 2014 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
Syndrical said:
I love it. I stopped doing it because the process I go through to get a lucid dream takes to long and I'd rather just sleep quick.

I totally understand. It's just too much work and even though I know it's still worth it I slack on the training. Maybe it's because I'm impatient. If I didn't slack all this time, I'd probably be having lucid dreams every night! I'm going to go back to improving my dream recall as much as I can.
Apr 24, 2014 6:50 AM

Feb 2012
It is epic. It's nice to control your dreams. ^_^

Apr 24, 2014 7:01 AM

Jun 2011
I had a lucid dream once, where i was flying in our house, and when i realised it was a dream i could control where to fly. It was a very short dream though.

But i read somewhere, that it is actually very exhausting to have lucid dreams, because your brain will work more than it would while normal dreams, so you will be more tired the next day.
Apr 24, 2014 7:03 AM

Mar 2014
I lucid dream pretty much every night I get over four hours of sleep without any training. ??? I didn't realise people trained for it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2014 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
xKyoto said:
I had a lucid dream once, where i was flying in our house, and when i realised it was a dream i could control where to fly. It was a very short dream though.

But i read somewhere, that it is actually very exhausting to have lucid dreams, because your brain will work more than it would while normal dreams, so you will be more tired the next day.

Most of my lucid dreams start in my house. And I also seem to always fly during lucid dreams. And yes, they're always so short for me as well, sadly.

Actually, I don't think lucid dreams exhaust your brain at all. They're no different than normal dreams to your brain (that's what I read somewhere). And I feel really good when I wake up after a lucid dream. Which is odd because I normally feel very tired when I wake up.

BarryManilow said:
I lucid dream pretty much every night I get over four hours of sleep without any training. ??? I didn't realise people trained for it

Lucid dreaming without any training is possible, and very impressive. Especially every night, wow. I'm so jealous...

I'm unsure of what you mean by "over 4 hours of sleep without any training". If you meant you lucid dream over 4 hours each night... what the hell?!
Apr 24, 2014 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
teppeibug said:
BarryManilow said:

You're not alone! It happens to me as well and I never trained for it :|

One random question though... do you guys, besides controlling the dream and all, are able to feel things or sense smell?
Usually if someone touches me in my dreams, I can feel it exactly like if it was in real life... (one time I dreamed I got a beat up, it was not pleasant). I also remember one time I was dreaming of my mother and at some point we hugged and I could smell her shampoo.. it was so weird!

I heard some people can control what they want to dream about... I can't do that though ):
A friend of mine would think of his family, for example, and then have a dream about them.

Lucid dreaming is such an interesting topic.. .-.

Another lucky one, eh? How envious...

I've had many dreams where I'd feel things just like I'd feel them in real life and other dreams where I wouldn't (which would lead me to a lucid dream most of the times). However, I haven't experienced smell yet.

I haven't really tried to control dreams as much as I'd like to, since all I do is fly. But I've heard that it also takes training to be able to control your dreams.
Apr 24, 2014 6:40 PM

Mar 2014
blue9394 said:
xKyoto said:

Most of my lucid dreams start in my house. And I also seem to always fly during lucid dreams. And yes, they're always so short for me as well, sadly.

Actually, I don't think lucid dreams exhaust your brain at all. They're no different than normal dreams to your brain (that's what I read somewhere). And I feel really good when I wake up after a lucid dream. Which is odd because I normally feel very tired when I wake up.

BarryManilow said:

Lucid dreaming without any training is possible, and very impressive. Especially every night, wow. I'm so jealous...

I'm unsure of what you mean by "over 4 hours of sleep without any training". If you meant you lucid dream over 4 hours each night... what the hell?!
Nah, I mean I have to get over 4 hours of sleep to lucid dream during it. If I just take a powernap I won't get it.

More topics from this board

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 7 minutes ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
7 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
59 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.