Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 23, 2014 6:48 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:
Not really helpful if you have business in either Japan or China though. China being a upcoming major superpower an all it would benefit a person with business interest to learn mandarin.

If you're talking about doing business in China, and you actually have to have direct contact with your business partners, chances are you're a board member of a large corporation... in which case, you'll have translators on your payroll... Unless you mean actually living in China, running a tea shop or something...

There's a reason why being a translator is a job. Business people go to business school to learn how to run a business. That takes a lot of time and money. And once they start their career, they never have free time. It would be irresponsible for a business person to not hire a translator, if they are doing business with another country that speaks another language.

As I said learning mandarin would be beneficial and helpful.

Nowhere did I bash translators in my post, also you seem to have the most simplistic idea of business. I won't go into this further.

I leave you with this though..

"Several companies based in the United States conduct business in China and have long-term investments there (and with more companies wanting to conduct business with China, the country would take preference toward businesspeople who can speak their native language, Mandarin, rather than English)."
Apr 23, 2014 7:48 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
you seem to have the most simplistic idea of business

Are you looking at this as a supply and demand problem? High demand and low supply for bilingual businessmen means they get paid more? The supply and demand view is the simple view... simple enough that they teach it in elementary school...

There's a lot more than just how badly they want to do business with you. Typically, the only time you have customers crawling all over you anyway is when you either aren't turning a profit, or more likely when you're losing money.

Perhaps the Chinese companies would prefer to do business with people who speak their language. But why? Perhaps it's just part of their culture, and it makes them more comfortable, in which case it's not likely to be a deal breaker. But the more time you spend on learning Chinese, the less time you spend learning how to do business. In other words, you are more likely to be inexperienced and easy to manipulate. That's profitable for them, not you.
Apr 23, 2014 8:02 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Are you looking at this as a supply and demand problem? High demand and low supply for bilingual businessmen means they get paid more? The supply and demand view is the simple view... simple enough that they teach it in elementary school...

There's a lot more than just how badly they want to do business with you. Typically, the only time you have customers crawling all over you anyway is when you either aren't turning a profit, or more likely when you're losing money.

Perhaps the Chinese companies would prefer to do business with people who speak their language. But why? Perhaps it's just part of their culture, and it makes them more comfortable, in which case it's not likely to be a deal breaker. But the more time you spend on learning Chinese, the less time you spend learning how to do business. In other words, you are more likely to be inexperienced and easy to manipulate. That's profitable for them, not you.

I believe you took some time out to go out of your way to answer my post even though I said I wouldn't go into it further, I atleast owe you a reply.

It is clear to me and anyone with some business sense that you have a major lack of knowledge when it comes to business. Which is completely fine as long as business isn't your profession that I assume.

And just to be clear I wasn't looking at this from a simple supply and demand level you basically clarified my last post which funnily enough you quoted.
Miyata- said:
Apr 23, 2014 8:04 PM
Mar 2014
Miyata- said:
There is not much to gain from learning japanese other than lack of needing subs.

Learning either Mandarin or Cantonese would be incredibly useful in life, albeit japanese is easier to learn OP. Classes/online classes is your best bet at learning it.

Something interesting to note is that as you learn multiple languages, it becomes progressively easier to learn more through and through. This especially applies to Cantonese and Mandarin, and as I aspire to learn both, I've received many recommendations to learn Cantonese prior to learning Mandarin, as it gives a clearer understanding of both within the process, and in turn, make it easier to learn more Asian languages.

The way I see it, learning a language would be greatly self-suggestive if one holds a particular interest towards the culture, history, and demographics of a foreign countries.
Apr 23, 2014 8:06 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
I believe you took some time out to go out of your way to answer my post even though I said I wouldn't go into it further, I atleast owe you a reply.

It is clear to me and anyone with some business sense that you have a major lack of knowledge when it comes to business. Which is completely fine as long as business isn't your profession that I assume.

And just to be clear I wasn't looking at this from a simple supply and demand level you basically clarified my last post which funnily enough you quoted.
Miyata- said:

No need to be so condescending. If you must know, I'm an IT major, and I make no claims to be a business expert. But please, if what I said is really as wrong as you claim it is, why don't you explain why, rather than just continuing to repeat yourself. I like to learn.
Apr 23, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Miyata- said:
There is not much to gain from learning japanese other than lack of needing subs.

+ manga, novels, games, dramas, vomics, music...

Japan has the best entertainment in the world and only a fraction of it is translated into English.

sargos7 said:

You can actually make that work fairly well, as long as you stick to extremely proper grammar, spell everything perfectly, avoid all contractions, abbreviations, acronyms, slang, passive voice, idioms, metaphors, etc. and split everything into multiple simple sentences, rather than having one long complex one. A good way to tell if it's being translated correctly or not is to copy the output and translate that back, and see how much it changes it.

The best way of using gtl is to just let it translate single words and do the grammar yourself. Or just use a dictionary.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Apr 23, 2014 8:13 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Miyata- said:

No need to be so condescending. If you must know, I'm an IT major, and I make no claims to be a business expert. But please, if what I said is really as wrong as you claim it is, why don't you explain why, rather than just continuing to repeat yourself. I like to learn.

Unfortunately for you I am not here to teach. Try a part time business course if you are that interested to learn.
Apr 23, 2014 8:20 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Miyata- said:

Unfortunately for you I am not here to teach. Try a part time business course if you are that interested to learn.

Unfortunately for you, there's this thing called research... which I just did... way to use a quote from a random unknown blog post on yahoo voices, as if it's some sort of credible authoritative voice on the matter. All of a sudden, I'm taking you a lot less seriously.
Apr 23, 2014 8:29 PM

Jun 2010
Learning with a friend really helps. That way, you can practice speaking together.
Apr 23, 2014 8:31 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:

Miyata- said:

Unfortunately for you, there's this thing called research... which I just did... way to use a quote from a random unknown blog post on yahoo voices, as if it's some sort of credible authoritative voice on the matter. All of a sudden, I'm taking you a lot less seriously.

Its not a authoritative voice but is common sense to anyone who understands business. I just didn't want to type it all out myself and you really expected me to get my old books out to quote you?

You yourself kindly pointed out that you're a IT Major please just stick to your field, and leave the business talk to those who actually studied business.
Apr 23, 2014 8:45 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
and you really expected me to get my old books out to quote you?

Not at all... especially since the first Google result for the search terms mandarin and business brings up a credible source that you could have quoted.

"In much the same way that the dollar remains the preferred currency, English will remain the preferred language for the foreseeable future,"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-30/mandarin-chinese-most-useful-business-language-after-english-1-.html

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that random blog post was actually yours, because there's no way you found that with a random search, especially that quickly. If that's the case, you should probably take yourself a lot less seriously too. You're confusing your own personal opinions with common sense. Just because you study something, that doesn't make you an expert.

And you also don't have to pay for classes to be allowed to do research on your own. So no, I will not stick to my major. I learn about that in class. I'll research whatever I want to in my free time.
Apr 23, 2014 8:46 PM
Dec 2013
I live in a place full of half caste-asian girls, with asian tits, and their asian personality.(I'm not in asia.)I know about 5 japanese words thanks to them.
First word i learned was kawaii and I still hate it.

Domo.
Apr 23, 2014 8:52 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:
and you really expected me to get my old books out to quote you?

Not at all... especially since the first Google result for the search terms mandarin and business brings up a credible source that you could have quoted.

"In much the same way that the dollar remains the preferred currency, English will remain the preferred language for the foreseeable future,"
"Speaking the language confers a huge advantage for anyone who wants to do business in a non-English-speaking country"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-30/mandarin-chinese-most-useful-business-language-after-english-1-.html

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that random blog post was actually yours, because there's no way you found that with a random search, especially that quickly. If that's the case, you should probably take yourself a lot less seriously too. You're confusing your own personal opinions with common sense. Just because you study something, that doesn't make you an expert.

And you also don't have to pay for classes to be allowed to do research on your own. So no, I will not stick to my major. I learn about that in class. I'll research whatever I want to in my free time.

Did you not even read the link you posted?

"Mandarin, China’s official tongue, is also the top language worldwide for business other than English, according to Bloomberg Rankings.

Mandarin, spoken by 845 million people, scored highest in a ranking of languages, excluding English, based on business usefulness. The ranking scored languages according to the number of speakers, number of countries where the language is official, along with those nations’ populations, financial power, educational and literacy rates, and related measures."

If this doesn't tell you mandarin would be beneficial and helpful in a business sense then I really can't help you and I'm afraid no amounts of selfstudy can.
Apr 23, 2014 8:54 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
Did you not even read the link you posted?

"Mandarin, China’s official tongue, is also the top language worldwide for business other than English, according to Bloomberg Rankings.

Mandarin, spoken by 845 million people, scored highest in a ranking of languages, excluding English, based on business usefulness. The ranking scored languages according to the number of speakers, number of countries where the language is official, along with those nations’ populations, financial power, educational and literacy rates, and related measures."

If this doesn't tell you mandarin would be beneficial and helpful in a business sense then I really can't help you and I'm afraid no amounts of selfstudy can.

Did you not even read your own post?

"other than English"
"excluding English"

That article is not saying go out of your way to learn Chinese... it's saying if you already do know Chinese, you could use it to your advantage.

"Mandarin is unlikely to supplant English soon as the primary language of business, said Leigh Hafrey, a senior lecturer in communications and ethics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management."

"Speaking the language confers a huge advantage for anyone who wants to do business in a non-English-speaking country"

In, not with. In other words, if you're not English, learning Chinese would be almost as useful as learning English.
sargos7Apr 23, 2014 9:03 PM
Apr 23, 2014 9:29 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:

Learning either Mandarin or Cantonese would be incredibly useful in life, albeit japanese is easier to learn OP. Classes/online classes is your best bet at learning it.
I heard it takes 10 years to be fluent in Japanese. That doesn't sound easy, but I can be wrong though.
Apr 23, 2014 9:30 PM

Sep 2012
From oppai-sensei in a past life.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 9:41 PM

Apr 2007
At school

Just grab a copy of Genki 1 and start studying. There are a lot of programs/apps with bells and whistles but it just comes down to self-discipline and dedication. So a book that has all the basics in it that you can reference is better than apps that only teach you vocab or the syllabary.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

30 by PostMahouShoujo »»
1 minute ago

» What's the most illegal thing you've ever done? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Mar 15

52 by 707supremacist »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

31 by cody »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 5 hours ago

10 by cody »»
23 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

68 by Dracowyn »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.