Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 23, 2014 8:45 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
and you really expected me to get my old books out to quote you?

Not at all... especially since the first Google result for the search terms mandarin and business brings up a credible source that you could have quoted.

"In much the same way that the dollar remains the preferred currency, English will remain the preferred language for the foreseeable future,"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-30/mandarin-chinese-most-useful-business-language-after-english-1-.html

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that random blog post was actually yours, because there's no way you found that with a random search, especially that quickly. If that's the case, you should probably take yourself a lot less seriously too. You're confusing your own personal opinions with common sense. Just because you study something, that doesn't make you an expert.

And you also don't have to pay for classes to be allowed to do research on your own. So no, I will not stick to my major. I learn about that in class. I'll research whatever I want to in my free time.
Apr 23, 2014 8:46 PM
Dec 2013
I live in a place full of half caste-asian girls, with asian tits, and their asian personality.(I'm not in asia.)I know about 5 japanese words thanks to them.
First word i learned was kawaii and I still hate it.

Domo.
Apr 23, 2014 8:52 PM

Feb 2014
sargos7 said:
Miyata- said:
and you really expected me to get my old books out to quote you?

Not at all... especially since the first Google result for the search terms mandarin and business brings up a credible source that you could have quoted.

"In much the same way that the dollar remains the preferred currency, English will remain the preferred language for the foreseeable future,"
"Speaking the language confers a huge advantage for anyone who wants to do business in a non-English-speaking country"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-30/mandarin-chinese-most-useful-business-language-after-english-1-.html

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that random blog post was actually yours, because there's no way you found that with a random search, especially that quickly. If that's the case, you should probably take yourself a lot less seriously too. You're confusing your own personal opinions with common sense. Just because you study something, that doesn't make you an expert.

And you also don't have to pay for classes to be allowed to do research on your own. So no, I will not stick to my major. I learn about that in class. I'll research whatever I want to in my free time.

Did you not even read the link you posted?

"Mandarin, China’s official tongue, is also the top language worldwide for business other than English, according to Bloomberg Rankings.

Mandarin, spoken by 845 million people, scored highest in a ranking of languages, excluding English, based on business usefulness. The ranking scored languages according to the number of speakers, number of countries where the language is official, along with those nations’ populations, financial power, educational and literacy rates, and related measures."

If this doesn't tell you mandarin would be beneficial and helpful in a business sense then I really can't help you and I'm afraid no amounts of selfstudy can.
Apr 23, 2014 8:54 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
Did you not even read the link you posted?

"Mandarin, China’s official tongue, is also the top language worldwide for business other than English, according to Bloomberg Rankings.

Mandarin, spoken by 845 million people, scored highest in a ranking of languages, excluding English, based on business usefulness. The ranking scored languages according to the number of speakers, number of countries where the language is official, along with those nations’ populations, financial power, educational and literacy rates, and related measures."

If this doesn't tell you mandarin would be beneficial and helpful in a business sense then I really can't help you and I'm afraid no amounts of selfstudy can.

Did you not even read your own post?

"other than English"
"excluding English"

That article is not saying go out of your way to learn Chinese... it's saying if you already do know Chinese, you could use it to your advantage.

"Mandarin is unlikely to supplant English soon as the primary language of business, said Leigh Hafrey, a senior lecturer in communications and ethics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management."

"Speaking the language confers a huge advantage for anyone who wants to do business in a non-English-speaking country"

In, not with. In other words, if you're not English, learning Chinese would be almost as useful as learning English.
sargos7Apr 23, 2014 9:03 PM
Apr 23, 2014 9:29 PM

Dec 2013
Miyata- said:
There is not much to gain from learning japanese other than lack of needing subs.

Learning either Mandarin or Cantonese would be incredibly useful in life, albeit japanese is easier to learn OP. Classes/online classes is your best bet at learning it.
I heard it takes 10 years to be fluent in Japanese. That doesn't sound easy, but I can be wrong though.
Apr 23, 2014 9:30 PM

Sep 2012
From oppai-sensei in a past life.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 9:41 PM

Apr 2007
At school

Just grab a copy of Genki 1 and start studying. There are a lot of programs/apps with bells and whistles but it just comes down to self-discipline and dedication. So a book that has all the basics in it that you can reference is better than apps that only teach you vocab or the syllabary.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you celebrate your Birthday

ST63LTH - Today

20 by Rhae »»
13 minutes ago

» Have you ever really sit down and really think about the short term and long term effects of AI in your industry?

tsukareru - May 5

18 by bevarnow »»
20 minutes ago

» Is the word 'simp' fallen out of context in 2024?

Kiryotsu - 11 hours ago

23 by SwordBreaker36 »»
1 hour ago

» Gender difference in US intermarriage

Auron_ - May 5

22 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Have you pushed yourself beyond your comfort zone

ST63LTH - Yesterday

13 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.