Forum Settings
Forums

if the main character is surrounded by opposite gender...

New
Apr 22, 2014 1:13 AM

Apr 2013
skudoops said:
Honestly I have no idea. I literally have zero anime on my list with the harem tag on it yet.. what makes those different from stuff like..

Nisekoi or Bakemonogatari (or MSSS so no antsy people correct me)?

For Bakemonogatari, I would assume because he is in a relationship with Senjougahara. I don't know about Nisekoi as it is still on my PTW list.
Apr 22, 2014 1:14 AM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:
I think people should really look into what a harem actually is.

Unless theres multiple girls who have CONFESSED THEIR FEELINGS it isn't a harem.
If the girls just talk to the guy but don't have feelings for him then to me that's not a harem.
Apr 22, 2014 1:16 AM

Jan 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
SolviteSekai said:

Unless theres multiple girls who have CONFESSED THEIR FEELINGS it isn't a harem.
If the girls just talk to the guy but don't have feelings for him then to me that's not a harem.

It's also generally not seen as harem if the MC picks a girl early on AND the other girls all fuck off and take the hint.
Apr 22, 2014 1:20 AM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:
DrGeroCreation said:
SolviteSekai said:

It's also generally not seen as harem if the MC picks a girl early on AND the other girls all fuck off and take the hint.
I agree . Onegai teacher isn't labelled as harem even though there are different females that are interested in the mc and I believe that is because the mc made it clear who he likes.
Apr 22, 2014 1:24 AM

Apr 2013
SolviteSekai said:

I would disagree with this. I would say if three or more girls has romantic feelings for the MC then it would be a harem.Also, doesn't this conflict with you thinking mongatari is a harem?

Off topic: I enjoy seeing your avatar whenever I run into a topic you have posted in.
Apr 22, 2014 1:31 AM

Jan 2013
Elmm said:
SolviteSekai said:

I would disagree with this. I would say if three or more girls has romantic feelings for the MC then it would be a harem.Also, doesn't this conflict with you thinking mongatari is a harem?

Off topic: I enjoy seeing your avatar whenever I run into a topic you have posted in.

You should really look into what a harem is.

A harem is a group of women who have agreed to share a man. Don't get me wrong, I understand this is anime, but that said...

Sometimes a man is just attractive and will catch the eye of multiple women. Just because a girl thinks a guy is attractive doesn't mean that guy has a harem.

To me it doesn't hit harem status until all the girls are openly fighting over the dude.
Apr 22, 2014 1:37 AM

Apr 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Elmm said:
SolviteSekai said:

A harem is a group of women who have agreed to share a man. Don't get me wrong, I understand this is anime, but that said...

Sometimes a man is just attractive and will catch the eye of multiple women. Just because a girl thinks a guy is attractive doesn't mean that guy has a harem.

To me it doesn't hit harem status until all the girls are openly fighting over the dude.

I know what a harem is. We are talking about the anime definition of harem which is different.
Apr 22, 2014 1:41 AM

Jan 2013
Elmm said:
SolviteSekai said:
Elmm said:
SolviteSekai said:

I know what a harem is. We are talking about the anime definition of harem which is different.

If we get into anime definitions from MAL we cross into idiot territory.

People on mal call Attack on Titan horror.
Apr 22, 2014 1:49 AM

Apr 2013

We have to have some kind of definition for it though as we cannot use the literal sense of the word.

SnK a horror? People say that?
Apr 22, 2014 4:59 AM

Apr 2014
Miyata- said:
If a pimp is surrounded by 8 women but is selling the services of only 2 is he still considered a pimp? Yes.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 22, 2014 6:18 AM

Dec 2012
I would say yes. While only 1 or 2 characters usually are involved romantically specifically with the MC for plot purposes the fact that the MC has some relationship with a number of different girls could still qualify as a harem. Ultimately what is important to classify an anime as a harem would be the extent of viewer self-insertion as regardless of whether the girl specifically expresses strong romantic feelings towards the MC she has to be a distinct unique personality that would represent a possible route for the MC to pursue depending on the viewers personal preferences.

There a number of contributing factors to this, one of which being, the lack of other male characters, most harems only have 1 other male character who is the best friend/sidekick of the MC who is only there for comedic purposes and never gets romantically involved with a girl as it would disrupt self-insertion although they still may express romantic feelings for some girls.

Some would probably argue that it is definitely necessary for a harem to have all or most girls romantically involved and anime that don't do this cannot be considered harems. However I would say that even anime that don't do this must certainly be recognized as having harem esque traits and following the harem structure to allow for viewer self-insertion as there is no purpose in terms of telling a good story for there to be few other developed male characters, MC usually bland and not particularly special, girls each have a distinct personality and look from the rest of the girls that would be very attractive to a certain fandom as well girls all having a unique relationship with the MC and don't interact nearly as often with each other or other side characters.
Apr 22, 2014 9:01 AM

Nov 2013
I don't really know but dear god..
In Kore wa zombie desu ka? the main character ends up having 3 GIRLS living with within the second episode. And another girl likes him and considers her his 'school wife' because of an accidental kiss. Harem inbound I believe;
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Apr 22, 2014 1:26 PM

Sep 2013
HalliSveinsson said:
if the main character is surrounded by opposite gender (lots of them) and only like, 1 or 2 are interested in the person, is that still considered harem?

say this guy lives in a place where everyone else is a girl and he interacts with all of them but only one or two like him.

kinda like ouran hs. there are 6 guys and i think only 2 of them like the main character?

Nope. Witch Craft Works is that exact kind of situation and only an idiot would think of it as a harem.

More topics from this board

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

65 by chocomayu »»
5 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - 58 minutes ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 3 hours ago

25 by RobertBobert »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - Apr 27

44 by InstantRamenKing »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you think anime has ever negatively impacted someone's life?

tappioca - 11 hours ago

18 by pludel2 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.