Forum Settings
Forums
New
What the title says.
Apr 20, 2014 10:27 AM

Oct 2013
I doubt it, why are there so many characters of this sort, they do nothing but annoy the viewers, they must serve some purpose, what is it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2014 10:29 AM
Nov 2013
What's whiny? People say Shinji is whiny, but he's one of my favorites characters. But Shinji is probably an exception for me... I dislike whiny characters.
Apr 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Feb 2013
Depends. If it's the main character that whines all the time and nothing else, then no, I hate them. Though I don't mind crybabies like Lag (Letter Bee).
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 20, 2014 10:30 AM

Dec 2013
Their purpose is probably making you appreciate the other characters.
It depends on the type of whiny character and what their role in the story is.
Apr 20, 2014 10:31 AM
Mar 2013
the definition of a 'whiny character' differs from person to person making your question pointless
Apr 20, 2014 10:33 AM
Dec 2013
Yeah, I kinda like Rock from Black Lagoon and his whininess.
Apr 20, 2014 10:36 AM

Dec 2012
I enjoy when they sometimes grow a spine later or die.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 20, 2014 10:36 AM

Sep 2013
Alibaba Saluja from Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic is about just below the limit of my tolerance when it comes to whiny/despairing characters.
Apr 20, 2014 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
No especially if they are weak. I like a weak character that actually tries to be useful and just doesn't sit and whine.
Apr 20, 2014 10:39 AM

Oct 2013
And I do realize I'm the one whining right now, so I hate myself.
Apr 20, 2014 11:19 AM

Mar 2014
I like Shinji from NGE a lot but I hate shallow "Shinji clones".
Apr 20, 2014 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
Rashkolnikov said:
What's whiny? People say Shinji is whiny, but he's one of my favorites characters. But Shinji is probably an exception for me... I dislike whiny characters.

Shinji has nothing on Yuki in my opinion. Shinji has a reason to whine at least.
Apr 20, 2014 11:25 AM

Dec 2012
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Shinji has nothing on Yuki in my opinion. Shinji has a reason to whine at least.

Being involved in a death game? people constantly trying to kill him? being betrayed? having a crazy stalker? his life become a giant fuck up? no?

Yuki has way more reasons to whine than Shinji, who is offered love and acceptance but keeps rejecting it for god whatever reason.
Apr 20, 2014 11:25 AM

Oct 2013
Well as long as they development eventually then I can appreciate them. But for the time being its a hell no

Apr 20, 2014 11:42 AM

Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Being involved in a death game? people constantly trying to kill him? being betrayed? having a crazy stalker? his life become a giant fuck up? no?

Yuki has way more reasons to whine than Shinji, who is offered love and acceptance but keeps rejecting it for god whatever reason.

Yuki does indeed have reasons to whine. You're putting a guy whose life was pretty much the easy boring school days, into a survival game that is kill or be killed. What did you expect from Yuki? Being a badass character who will kill, when he hasn't even killed or got involved into serious life or death situations before?
Apr 20, 2014 11:50 AM

Jul 2013
whoa. a whole topic dedicated to sorata kanda from sakurasou no pet na kanojo and yuki kaji's characters.

nope. can't stand most whiny characters.

exception would be waver velvet
Apr 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Jul 2011
I like Yukiteru.
I dislike Shinji.

That helps?
Apr 20, 2014 12:30 PM

Oct 2011
It depends. I prefer Sena from Eyeshield 21 the most out of every wimp, though.
PolychromeApr 20, 2014 12:34 PM
Apr 20, 2014 1:17 PM
Apr 2010
Yes, because they react in ways a normal human being would react in those types of situations.
(lol @ this being a defense for Shinji)
Apr 20, 2014 1:20 PM

Jun 2011
Praland said:
I like Yukiteru.
I dislike Shinji.

That helps?

It's the other way around for me. Not saying that Yuki isn't justified or anything but I honestly didn't care for him much.

Apr 20, 2014 1:26 PM

Oct 2013
NiN10d0h said:
Yes, because they react in ways a normal human being would react in those types of situations.
(lol @ this being a defense for Shinji)

Just because it's realistic doesn't mean it's entertaining, no, because real life is so boring is exactly why we resort to anime and other kinds of entertainment.
Apr 20, 2014 1:32 PM

Mar 2014
Forgetfulness said:
I expect him to have the ability to run when Yuno tells him to and someone is shooting at him, and not to just stand there like a retard. But I guess that's asking too much as well, isn't it?

Why didn't he die then if he stood while someone was shooting at him? I'd rather you point out at the specific scene, my memory is foggy (?!)
Apr 20, 2014 1:37 PM

Oct 2013
Red_Keys said:
People who dislike "pussy" characters do more fucking whining than the characters they say they hate.

Jesus Christ, does MAL never get tired of making the same exact thread a thousand times?

OnT: People who hate characters for acting like human beings are fucking retarded and pathetic.

You're whining about people whining about whiny characters.
Apr 20, 2014 1:37 PM

Sep 2012
Prochy said:
Red_Keys said:
People who dislike "pussy" characters do more fucking whining than the characters they say they hate.

Jesus Christ, does MAL never get tired of making the same exact thread a thousand times?

OnT: People who hate characters for acting like human beings are fucking retarded and pathetic.

But I don't say I hate whiny characters, so suck it.
Apr 20, 2014 1:46 PM

May 2013
Prochy said:
Red_Keys said:

You're whining about someone whining about people whining about whiny characters, and now I'm whining about you whining about someone whining about people whining about whiny characters.

jesus christ, it's a cycle of never-ending whining!
Apr 20, 2014 1:48 PM

Sep 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Prochy said:
Red_Keys said:

You're whining about someone whining about people whining about whiny characters, and now I'm whining about you whining about someone whining about people whining about whiny characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g
Apr 20, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2011
Dark_Chaos said:
Prochy said:
Red_Keys said:

Whine-ception. We're all trapped in an endless cycle.

Apr 20, 2014 2:02 PM

Mar 2014
Forgetfulness said:
When they're breaking out of the police station and the police Diary User is firing at him, I think. My memory is a bit foggy as well.

Come back with a clear memory and maybe we could talk, perhaps. Don't blame Yuki over something you can't remember well...
Apr 20, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
I don't hate them, but I don't really like them either, with the exception of Shinji.
Apr 20, 2014 2:19 PM

Jan 2010
Does Shinpachi qualify for a whiner? He is one of my favorite characters.
Apr 20, 2014 2:33 PM

Jun 2011
jonnyhan said:
Does Shinpachi qualify for a whiner? He is one of my favorite characters.

I don't think he counts since his it's mainly played for jokes. He only seems whiny compared to the rest of the cast because he's supposed to be the tsukkomi or "straight man".

Apr 20, 2014 2:49 PM

Dec 2012
Forgetfulness said:
tsudecimo said:
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

By the way, all of those or worse could also apply to Shinji. We could easily reverse the comparison

He has to burden of saving the entire fucking world. He's forced to pilot a mecha he has never even seen before on the very first day. He has to fight superhuman beings that wreck cities with ease, he was forced to almost kill things against his will, his father only sees him as a tool to accomplish his goals, etc. etc.

Yuki has a lover throughout the entire series

I don't believe I said Shinji has no reasons to be whiny and an emofag, I'm simply saying Yuki has better and more reasons.

So? that's a problem how? both Yuki and Shinji are selfish characters, the world being danger shouldn't mean anything to Shinji and it was certainly not his biggest problem. Really now? he was asked to do something he didn't want to do? Boo fucking hoo, he had a choice to walk away and run (which he did twice) an option that Yuki didn't have. The danger of fighting those monsters is the only that makes sense in what you listed, along with the daddy issues, which is quite honestly doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I can at least understand why it would be for someone else, so I'm counting it.

So did Shinji, with Misato offering him care and love, along with other characters. And that lover you speak off, Yuki was afraid off for half the anime. Yuki has way more reasons than Shinji, I don't see how anyone can argue that. But you are biased about anything in Mirai Nikki so whatever.
Apr 20, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2012
Polychrome said:
It depends. I prefer Sena from Eyeshield 21 the most out of every wimp, though.

^ And I'm okay with Shinji as well. Did not care much about Yuki because I watched mainly for Minene.
Apr 20, 2014 3:38 PM

Dec 2012
yes, because they mirror real life. Obviously there comes a point where I can't stand them, but if they're honest and they succeed every once in a while, I have no problem with them. I like Shinji, Yuki, Ganta, etc

The only whiny guy I haven't liked is that Yuko guy from FMA, but that might be because he's a liar and freeloader.
Apr 20, 2014 3:47 PM

Dec 2012
Ah w/e, I can be bothered to continue another argument about Mirai Nikki with you, I simply don't care enough about the series to put myself through your logic.

Sometimes I should learn to quit, it's a lesson I keep getting.
Apr 20, 2014 4:04 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Shinji is burdened to fight for the sake of the world, while he's really doing it for approval. He is at risk of dying against gigantic humanoids if he makes one single mistake.

Yukiteru's 'fighting' for his own irrelevant existence, a drop in the ocean, without bearing anywhere near the amount of burden Shinji had, and later his naive ambitions. Both are crybabies but Shinji's 'whining' is at the very least justifiable in contrast to Yukiteru's. Yuki doesn't have any better reasons to whine unlike him. The kid got mentally ill at an early age, Yuki had at the very least a normal life unlike Shinji.
Apr 20, 2014 4:06 PM

Sep 2012
-Broseph- said:
tsudecimo said:
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Shinji is burdened to fight for the sake of the world, while he's really doing it for approval. He is at risk of dying against gigantic humanoids if he makes one single mistake.

Yukiteru's 'fighting' for his own irrelevant existence, a drop in the ocean, without bearing anywhere near the amount of burden Shinji had, and later his naive ambitions. Both are crybabies but Shinji's 'whining' is at the very least justifiable in contrast to Yukiteru's. Yuki doesn't have any better reasons to whine unlike him. The kid got mentally ill at an early age, Yuki had at very least a normal life unlike the Shinji.
So lemme get this straight.

If a murderer was coming after you, you believe you would have no grounds for discomfort? The world isn't in danger, just your life. LOL doesn't matter! You're a bitch for caring about your own life!

Is that really the message you're getting across?
Apr 20, 2014 4:14 PM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:

No I think its legitimate chriticism. Why should I expect a character that takes part in a magical death game or pilots giant alien robots to act like a normal human being. They are device to tell a story and entertain and if their whinyness gets in the way then its annoying. I hate the argument that its realistic when the character is set in a setting and situation that is purely fictional and could never be realistic.
Apr 20, 2014 4:16 PM

Apr 2014
Red_Keys said:
-Broseph- said:
tsudecimo said:
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

Yukiteru's 'fighting' for his own irrelevant existence, a drop in the ocean, without bearing anywhere near the amount of burden Shinji had, and later his naive ambitions. Both are crybabies but Shinji's 'whining' is at the very least justifiable in contrast to Yukiteru's. Yuki doesn't have any better reasons to whine unlike him. The kid got mentally ill at an early age, Yuki had at very least a normal life unlike the Shinji.

If a murderer was coming after you, you believe you would have no grounds for discomfort? The world isn't in danger, just your life. LOL doesn't matter! You're a bitch for caring about your own life!

No, that's not what I am implying. Did you even read my post?
Apr 20, 2014 4:16 PM

Sep 2012
baki502 said:
Red_Keys said:

No I think its legitimate chriticism. Why should I expect a character that takes part in a magical death game or pilots giant alien robots to act like a normal human being.
Because they are human beings.
Apr 20, 2014 4:18 PM

Sep 2012
-Broseph- said:
Red_Keys said:
-Broseph- said:
tsudecimo said:
Aylaine said:
Rashkolnikov said:

No, that's not what I am implying. Did you even read my post?
Uh, you quite clearly said that Yuki's suffering and "whining" was not justifiable compared to Shinji's, and has no legitimate reasons to "whine".
Apr 20, 2014 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
baki502 said:
Red_Keys said:

No I think its legitimate chriticism. Why should I expect a character that takes part in a magical death game or pilots giant alien robots to act like a normal human being.
Because they are human beings.

No they are not, they are objects drawn or trough CGI made solely to make money and entertain people. I hate it when they decide to make one thing realistic, as in this case the character, and the rest is all unrealistic. Im fine with realistic characters but then everything has to be realistic, not just the character.
Apr 22, 2014 6:36 AM

Nov 2012
I don't really mind whiny characters too much as long as they rise up to the occasion and actually do something every now and then. Like Shinji from NGE or Mirai and Kyoukai no Kanata. It does get annoying when the whining goes on for too long though, but luckily in better shows (again, NGE), they know to tone down the whining and tone up the awesome.
Apr 22, 2014 7:01 AM

Mar 2014
-Broseph- said:
Yukiteru's 'fighting' for his own irrelevant existence, a drop in the ocean, without bearing anywhere near the amount of burden Shinji had, and later his naive ambitions. Both are crybabies but Shinji's 'whining' is at the very least justifiable in contrast to Yukiteru's. Yuki doesn't have any better reasons to whine unlike him. The kid got mentally ill at an early age, Yuki had at the very least a normal life unlike Shinji.

So, caring about your own life which just went to a very dangerous route after it was simply just lazy living is not a great enough reason to whine? I don't care if another guy whined because he had the whole world depend on him, whining about your own existence no matter how "irrelevant" it is, is a given in human nature.

Now try imagining yourself living a pretty easy life, then suddenly you've got yourself in nearly the same amount of trouble Yuki got no matter how it comes or why it came. Don't tell me you're NOT going to whine, just because you're fighting for your "irrelevant" existence. You won't stop to care about how relevant or irrelevant you are to the world before whining, you'll whine because a big burden fell on you, and that burden is being chased by murderers, policemen, etc, and you don't want to die, right? Sorry. He's whining is justified if you have a big oh so problem with it. I won't bother if you decide not to feel Yuki and stop comparing him to a character from a separate universe with separate laws and mechas.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

38 by Abomination_suah »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 1 hour ago

1 by Serafos »»
10 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

33 by AverageRiceFan »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime Openings with Sound Effects

_MushiRock11_ - Mar 28

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
15 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites do you think is the strongest in a Fight, and which is comparatively Weakest?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 12

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.