Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2014 12:42 PM
Apr 2014
I set out to make a MAL iOS app (because the current options look pretty poor), so I went searching for a MAL API that I could use in said app. I found http://myanimelist.net/modules.php?go=api and https://github.com/chuyeow/myanimelist-api. Neither works.

First off, the unofficial API on GitHub no longer works, see issues #31 and #32.

The official API doesn't work either. cURL requests get useless random HTML responses, instead of actual useful information, not to mention that the API isn't very fully featured.

I'm just trying to create a simple app to provide a better gateway to MAL from mobile iOS devices, but I can't really do anything without a working API.

Am I missing something? Other apps exist (though I dislike them), so they must have a way of going about accessing MAL.
Apr 16, 2014 12:47 PM
Dec 2011
You need to get put on some kinda white list to get the api to work for your app. I am not sure what the process is to get on it or how long that takes though.

I think you would need to contact this guy: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Xinil
Apr 16, 2014 12:50 PM
Apr 2014
So, if I got on the whitelist, I would stop getting random HTML responses? I thought I just needed a username and password to use the API.
Apr 16, 2014 12:55 PM
Dec 2011
There were server issues or something and they decided all apps needed to be white listed to keep the site from crashing all the time. I am not a programmer so I am not clear on all the details though and I can't find the original announcement about it.
Apr 16, 2014 1:54 PM

Oct 2009
foogit said:
So, if I got on the whitelist, I would stop getting random HTML responses?

Yes

foogit said:
I thought I just needed a username and password to use the API.

No, see this thread for more information
Apr 19, 2014 2:06 PM
Apr 2014
Okay. Alrighty. Thanks.
Apr 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2009
But it seems that even whitelisted clients are getting blocked atm (e.g. popular MAL Updater)
Apr 19, 2014 6:44 PM

Apr 2012
Serhiyko said:
foogit said:
So, if I got on the whitelist, I would stop getting random HTML responses?

YesTheoretically

Fixed. :P

Serhiyko said:
But it seems that even whitelisted clients are getting blocked atm (e.g. popular MAL Updater)

Looking at the "Incapsula?" Thread it seems like there's a new wave of users getting this problem and might cause MAL Updater problems, too.
Being one of the "whitlisted" people I know that back in the days when Incapsula was newly used on MAL, I got "random" (not really random but whatever) html responses despite being whitelisted.
But since months I don't have any problems whatsoever (automatically) accessing MAL.
Who knows who screwed up some settings in Incapsula again.~

More topics from this board

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3371 by NotDerb »»
5 hours ago

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
8 hours ago

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Today, 6:05 AM

» Backup

Vapor_AU - Yesterday

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
Yesterday, 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.