Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 6, 2014 9:04 AM
Jun 2013
Im really confused about this.Through out the show it shows she only cares about Madoka and noone els. She doesint care if the world or people suffer even those close to madoka.She just comes off im sorry to say like a heartless bitch.Also dont give me the whole "oh her tragic past with time travel" it still doesint dispute what iv said. Even when sayaka madokas closest friend turns magical she says to forget about her.
Apr 6, 2014 9:13 AM

Nov 2013
homura is clearly the best character of series.
Apr 6, 2014 9:18 AM

Nov 2013
souledge94 said:
Im really confused about this.Through out the show it shows she only cares about Madoka and noone els. She doesint care if the world or people suffer even those close to madoka.She just comes off im sorry to say like a heartless bitch.Also dont give me the whole "oh her tragic past with time travel" it still doesint dispute what iv said. Even when sayaka madokas closest friend turns magical she says to forget about her.

She failed to save anyone in every timeline (said to be 100 timelines). She basically gave up on everyone except Madoka, since her wish involved Madoka giving up on her means giving in to despair and turning into a witch.
Apr 6, 2014 9:23 AM

Apr 2007
Homu has probably seen Sayaka turn into a witch dozens, maybe even hundreds or thousands of times. Maybe in her earlier runs she may have attempted to save Sayaka and the others as well as Madoka, but I can understand why by the final iteration she was jaded enough that she only cared about Madoka. And I think it's all right to care about one person more than another.
Apr 6, 2014 9:32 AM
Jun 2013
Pond said:
Homu has probably seen Sayaka turn into a witch dozens, maybe even hundreds or thousands of times. Maybe in her earlier runs she may have attempted to save Sayaka and the others as well as Madoka, but I can understand why by the final iteration she was jaded enough that she only cared about Madoka. And I think it's all right to care about one person more than another.

Yea she doesint care more about Madoka she just care about her and thats it. She shows to have zero emotions towards anyone els no feelings. Shes just comes off heartless. Even at the very end after all said and done she stats she only is cares about this world cause of madoka and nothing els. She comes off more insane then sayaka when she lost it.Sayaka even though showing great love for that guy you can still see she has a heart.Homura has a obseassion not a heart.
Apr 6, 2014 1:32 PM

Jul 2010
Well, I'm not gonna say you're wrong. In fact, you're absolutely right. She is pretty heartless towards the other characters and is only concerned for Madoka. The thing about the characters in Madoka is that they're all flawed. None of them are perfect human beings that always do the right thing and make the right decisions. They've established that Homura doesn't have the best relationship with the other girls, and sees saving them as more of an inconvenience to her. She figures that once they've made the contract there's nothing she can do about it. They've made their decisions and must now deal with it on their own, and whatever happens to them now is their own damn fault, just like the decisions she's made only she can deal with. It's part of the bleak outlook she's developed being a magical girl.

I do agree that she does have an obsession, as I always thought that about her. Someone who goes through what she does for the sake of one person you'd figure wouldn't be all right in the head. You figure at some point it stops being "I gotta save my best friend" and becomes "My life depends on Madoka", which comes full circle in Rebellion.

I can't really justify her actions or characters, but that's just what I find interesting about her.
Apr 6, 2014 2:15 PM
Sep 2013
Maybe people like Homura because they find her flaws relatable? I'm not saying everyone who likes her can relate to her obsession with Madoka, just that it might be a reason. And even though obsession with the main character is a pretty common theme in anime, her character didn't feel cliché or cheesy. I mean, she's not exactly Misa Amane...
Apr 6, 2014 5:01 PM
Apr 2014
First off, take a step back, and write with better grammar. I can't discern most of what you wrote.

Second, you clearly either haven't watched the show at all or you're just misguided. Homura is not entitled to save anyone–– she made her wish to save Madoka because Madoka is the ONE and ONLY person who ever treated her with any kindness. The others usually shut Homura out, distrust her, et cetera. So you're telling me it's wrong to have a best friend, one friend above all others? You know, that's pretty normal. And what if that friend is your best AND only friend? Things might have been different for Homura than for you. There's one person she wants to protect, and it's only natural that over eight years of trying to change Madoka's fate, she'll become completely entitled to it–– that is to say, obsessed.

Now to contrast your... arguments. Not sure if I can even call them that...

Homura might come across as heartless, but just like Mami, she hides her true feelings behind a mask of coldness. Notice how she tried to warn Mami from chasing after Charlotte, only for her to get entangled in ribbons. Look how she reacted after Mami's death. She was regretful, saying "at least I was able to save one person".

When Homura first meets Sayaka and Madoka, she warns them *both* to not become magical girls. Sayaka, however, went and became one anyway. Homura already knows through her timelines that once Saya contracts, she's beyond saving. That's why she told Madoka to give up on Sayaka. She didn't say to "forget about her". God, did you even watch the show?

At some point during episode 8, Homura attempts to kill Sayaka–– not because of any grudge held against her, but because she wants to spare Madoka's grief; she does this by giving Sayaka a grief seed, which likely took time to get, and which she is not at all inclined to do if she is such a "heartless bitch".

Now, on to episode 9. This one's quite obvious. Homura's clearly grieving over Kyoko's death, saying her first name (which, as we *should* know, is not commonly said unless you're close to that person). She then interrogates Kyubey afterwards. If she was so callous, she would have tossed her hair and not give a fuck about Kyoko.

Last point. Yes, that's right; Homura fights on only because Madoka loved this world. Much of the world did shit to Homura, and she is NOT AT ALL entitled to fight wraiths for anyone's sake, but she did–– because that's her best and only friend's final wish. You'd think she'd be wallowing in her own misery and cursing the entire world by turning into a witch, but Homura endures on. For Madoka. (Until Rebellion, but that's a discussion for another day.)

If you read through that, good. Next time, please take the time to view the episodes before commenting.
Apr 6, 2014 7:20 PM
Jun 2013
ClearlyClarity said:
First off, take a step back, and write with better grammar. I can't discern most of what you wrote.

Second, you clearly either haven't watched the show at all or you're just misguided. Homura is not entitled to save anyone–– she made her wish to save Madoka because Madoka is the ONE and ONLY person who ever treated her with any kindness. The others usually shut Homura out, distrust her, et cetera. So you're telling me it's wrong to have a best friend, one friend above all others? You know, that's pretty normal. And what if that friend is your best AND only friend? Things might have been different for Homura than for you. There's one person she wants to protect, and it's only natural that over eight years of trying to change Madoka's fate, she'll become completely entitled to it–– that is to say, obsessed.

Now to contrast your... arguments. Not sure if I can even call them that...

Homura might come across as heartless, but just like Mami, she hides her true feelings behind a mask of coldness. Notice how she tried to warn Mami from chasing after Charlotte, only for her to get entangled in ribbons. Look how she reacted after Mami's death. She was regretful, saying "at least I was able to save one person".

When Homura first meets Sayaka and Madoka, she warns them *both* to not become magical girls. Sayaka, however, went and became one anyway. Homura already knows through her timelines that once Saya contracts, she's beyond saving. That's why she told Madoka to give up on Sayaka. She didn't say to "forget about her". God, did you even watch the show?

At some point during episode 8, Homura attempts to kill Sayaka–– not because of any grudge held against her, but because she wants to spare Madoka's grief; she does this by giving Sayaka a grief seed, which likely took time to get, and which she is not at all inclined to do if she is such a "heartless bitch".

Now, on to episode 9. This one's quite obvious. Homura's clearly grieving over Kyoko's death, saying her first name (which, as we *should* know, is not commonly said unless you're close to that person). She then interrogates Kyubey afterwards. If she was so callous, she would have tossed her hair and not give a fuck about Kyoko.

Last point. Yes, that's right; Homura fights on only because Madoka loved this world. Much of the world did shit to Homura, and she is NOT AT ALL entitled to fight wraiths for anyone's sake, but she did–– because that's her best and only friend's final wish. You'd think she'd be wallowing in her own misery and cursing the entire world by turning into a witch, but Homura endures on. For Madoka. (Until Rebellion, but that's a discussion for another day.)

If you read through that, good. Next time, please take the time to view the episodes before commenting.

wow that was a fast mess up.Momi in the orginal timeline welcomed her with open arms so yea Makoda wasint the only one nice to her.Oh and dont forget everyone in school being nice to her.Yea spare madoka grief by killing her closest friend thats logical.Makoda would find out if she did that and she would hate her for it so it doesint make sense in that regard as well.you mention saving sayaka seed was to stop madoka from regretting a huge mistake and killing her friend not cause she was saving her.

The world did not shit on Homura. There was no tragic history besides the time loop thing.Besides being in the hospital at the start of the loop her life was fine and people accepted her and treated her nice so please dont come with this crap of "the world did her wrong"none of that existed the only thing you can count as shitting on her was the satan cat.Everyone was moody with her in the main timeline we saw cause at that point she was an ass to everyone. At the end she doesint change its basiclly She does everything she does for madoka sake and her sake alone and nothing els. She would have been fine becoming a witch in one of the time loops and killing millions of people if it was by madoka side.The show was good but by god was this character annoying.
souledge94Apr 6, 2014 8:15 PM
Apr 6, 2014 7:30 PM
Jun 2013
KiraMustDie said:
Well, I'm not gonna say you're wrong. In fact, you're absolutely right. She is pretty heartless towards the other characters and is only concerned for Madoka. The thing about the characters in Madoka is that they're all flawed. None of them are perfect human beings that always do the right thing and make the right decisions. They've established that Homura doesn't have the best relationship with the other girls, and sees saving them as more of an inconvenience to her. She figures that once they've made the contract there's nothing she can do about it. They've made their decisions and must now deal with it on their own, and whatever happens to them now is their own damn fault, just like the decisions she's made only she can deal with. It's part of the bleak outlook she's developed being a magical girl.

I do agree that she does have an obsession, as I always thought that about her. Someone who goes through what she does for the sake of one person you'd figure wouldn't be all right in the head. You figure at some point it stops being "I gotta save my best friend" and becomes "My life depends on Madoka", which comes full circle in Rebellion.

I can't really justify her actions or characters, but that's just what I find interesting about her.

Im fine with flaw characters but I also like them accepting those flaws or trying to overcome them and change a bit mainly if their shown to us to be one of the good guys. Homura did no such thing.The main one we saw stood the same right untill the end.I also find it weird that she stuck to Makoda like glue since she wasint the only one that was nice to her in the orginal time line everyone was kind to her.Even when she joined the group in the orginal timeline Momi was nice to her and didint come off nasty or anything.Everyone hated her guts in the main timeline we saw since at that point she was a bitch to everyone but makoda.After I was done with the show I collected my thoughts and how I felt about the cast and I picked her out as one of the most unlikeablel characters.I couldint find one thing to like about her.the best thing I could say about her is her powers are badass.

Though one thing I do find funny is maybe she stood the same at the end since every other character when they were acknowleding their flaws or thinking of changing they died.So maybe thats the reason :p.
souledge94Apr 6, 2014 7:59 PM
Apr 6, 2014 8:47 PM

Jul 2010
souledge94 said:
KiraMustDie said:

Im fine with flaw characters but I also like them accepting those flaws or trying to overcome them and change a bit mainly if their shown to us to be one of the good guys. Homura did no such thing.The main one we saw stood the same right untill the end.I also find it weird that she stuck to Makoda like glue since she wasint the only one that was nice to her in the orginal time line everyone was kind to her.Even when she joined the group in the orginal timeline Momi was nice to her and didint come off nasty or anything.Everyone hated her guts in the main timeline we saw since at that point she was a bitch to everyone but makoda.After I was done with the show I collected my thoughts and how I felt about the cast and I picked her out as one of the most unlikeablel characters.I couldint find one thing to like about her.the best thing I could say about her is her powers are badass.

Though one thing I do find funny is maybe she stood the same at the end since every other character when they were acknowleding their flaws or thinking of changing they died.So maybe thats the reason :p.
I don't necessarily need a character to be aware of his or her flaws. At times it just makes them more interesting to me.

Also, she says how she was the only one who knew the truth about Kyubey and the magical girls and that no one believed her no matter what. My guess is that's what caused her rocky relationship with the others, as it leads to them not trusting her, and this was while she was still a timid glasses girl. Madoka, on the other hand, no matter what Homura does, would never reject or hate her (nor would she do that to the others), while the others would, causing her to become more distant towards the others and focusing almost entirely on Madoka, but that's probably me just reading to much into it.

But that's fine if you don't like her though, as you make valid points. I was just giving my own perspective on her. I can think of a few things to like about her. Even if it comes across as selfish, she is at least willing to go all the way and do things that others may hate her for in order to achieve her goal. She does take responsibility for her own actions, and she is dedicated. Honestly, she's a perfect contrast to Madoka and I like the way they play off each other.
KillerTune12Apr 6, 2014 8:58 PM
Apr 6, 2014 9:34 PM
Jun 2013
KiraMustDie said:
souledge94 said:
KiraMustDie said:

I don't necessarily need a character to be aware of his or her flaws. At times it just makes them more interesting to me.

Also, she says how she was the only one who knew the truth about Kyubey and the magical girls and that no one believed her no matter what. My guess is that's what caused her rocky relationship with the others, as it leads to them not trusting her, and this was while she was still a timid glasses girl. Madoka, on the other hand, no matter what Homura does, would never reject or hate her (nor would she do that to the others), while the others would, causing her to become more distant towards the others and focusing almost entirely on Madoka, but that's probably me just reading to much into it.

But that's fine if you don't like her though, as you make valid points. I was just giving my own perspective on her. I can think of a few things to like about her. Even if it comes across as selfish, she is at least willing to go all the way and do things that others may hate her for in order to achieve her goal. She does take responsibility for her own actions, and she is dedicated. Honestly, she's a perfect contrast to Madoka and I like the way they play off each other.

Its werid that she would act heartless to the others in lets just call it our version of the time line being as none of them really hated her or anything from everything we saw. The most I guess hate we got while she was still glasses version was sayaka thinking shes nuts and not feeling safe having her as back up witch I dont blame her since its a life and death job and I wouldint want someone who I think is crazy backing me up.Even momi is shown through out some of the time loops of being friendly and helping her out like with that werid school girl witch.Though you would think they would believe her since theres a talking cat and now they have powers but that tends to happen to alot of media that does this type of plot point. Again im just taking my view by what we are visually given is all.

I am cruious though in the first time line was there just 3 of them? Since I dont remember them mentioning the other two.
Apr 7, 2014 2:40 AM

Jul 2010
souledge94 said:
Its werid that she would act heartless to the others in lets just call it our version of the time line being as none of them really hated her or anything from everything we saw. The most I guess hate we got while she was still glasses version was sayaka thinking shes nuts and not feeling safe having her as back up witch I dont blame her since its a life and death job and I wouldint want someone who I think is crazy backing me up.Even momi is shown through out some of the time loops of being friendly and helping her out like with that werid school girl witch.Though you would think they would believe her since theres a talking cat and now they have powers but that tends to happen to alot of media that does this type of plot point. Again im just taking my view by what we are visually given is all.

I am cruious though in the first time line was there just 3 of them? Since I dont remember them mentioning the other two.
Well, when she was still her shy, timid self, she wasn't really acting cold towards the others. It wasn't until after she changed and decides to do things differently that her relationship with the others start going downhill, because at that exact point she chooses to focus on Madoka, the girl she makes a promise to protect, the one that stuck with her in the most hopeless times (notice how they're always the last two standing after walpurgisnacht), the one she looks up to, has faith in, and is the reason she made the contract in the first place, and the first person to open up to her and give her confidence in herself. While the others may have acted nice to her, they were still deceptable to negative emotions. They would still reject her if she does something wrong, have doubts about her, they could break easily, and there will be times when her actions will go against their beliefs and therefore create tension between them. I'd also like to add that Homura tries her best to avoid showing emotion, as she sees it as a form of weakness and can very well be the death of her, which is why she does come across as cold and heartless. You even see moments in the main timeline where she acts cold towards Madoka. She tries to think logically and deliberately detaches herself from her human self. I say "tries" because there are still moments where she does break down. It's a way for her to survive, and in this world doing the morally wrong thing is what keeps you alive. Kyouko deliberately let familiars feed on humans to get grief seeds because it's the only way for her to survive. Doing something you believe is "right", looking out for others, and showing compassion is what ultimately gets you killed in this world. It's the sad reality these characters have to live with.
Apr 7, 2014 2:08 PM
Jun 2013
KiraMustDie said:
souledge94 said:

Well, when she was still her shy, timid self, she wasn't really acting cold towards the others. It wasn't until after she changed and decides to do things differently that her relationship with the others start going downhill, because at that exact point she chooses to focus on Madoka, the girl she makes a promise to protect, the one that stuck with her in the most hopeless times (notice how they're always the last two standing after walpurgisnacht), the one she looks up to, has faith in, and is the reason she made the contract in the first place, and the first person to open up to her and give her confidence in herself. While the others may have acted nice to her, they were still deceptable to negative emotions. They would still reject her if she does something wrong, have doubts about her, they could break easily, and there will be times when her actions will go against their beliefs and therefore create tension between them. I'd also like to add that Homura tries her best to avoid showing emotion, as she sees it as a form of weakness and can very well be the death of her, which is why she does come across as cold and heartless. You even see moments in the main timeline where she acts cold towards Madoka. She tries to think logically and deliberately detaches herself from her human self. I say "tries" because there are still moments where she does break down. It's a way for her to survive, and in this world doing the morally wrong thing is what keeps you alive. Kyouko deliberately let familiars feed on humans to get grief seeds because it's the only way for her to survive. Doing something you believe is "right", looking out for others, and showing compassion is what ultimately gets you killed in this world. It's the sad reality these characters have to live with.

The others just pointed out her flaws in combat cause lets be honest she did suck at first. You cant just keep saying good job to someone you gatta point out what they did wrong so they can learn.It would be different if they were malicious about it but it never really came off that way from what i saw again going by the other time loops.I dont see how madoka was the first person to open up to homura since everyone in the school came off friendly and gentle.Only thing I can think of different that madoka did was talk about homuras name and how nice it was.I mean is that really all it took.
Apr 7, 2014 4:06 PM

Jul 2010
souledge94 said:
KiraMustDie said:
souledge94 said:

The others just pointed out her flaws in combat cause lets be honest she did suck at first. You cant just keep saying good job to someone you gatta point out what they did wrong so they can learn.It would be different if they were malicious about it but it never really came off that way from what i saw again going by the other time loops.I dont see how madoka was the first person to open up to homura since everyone in the school came off friendly and gentle.Only thing I can think of different that madoka did was talk about homuras name and how nice it was.I mean is that really all it took.
Her relationship with the others was fine then. It wasn't until she decided to do things differently that their relationship went downhill, when her morals and way of doing things began to conflict with the others.

And maybe "open up" was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. Their relationship didn't immediately take off, as Homura at first saw Madoka as being just like everyone else. It wasn't until she found out she was a magical girl and they took her under her wing when their relationship went somewhere.

Again, I'm not trying to justify her actions, I'm just trying to see things from her perspective.
Apr 14, 2014 7:37 AM

Mar 2012
But Homura does care about the other girls though, with her time stop ability it makes her the perfect magical girl assassin. All she has to do is time stop put gun to the girls soul gem, pull trigger, resume time and done. BUT she chooses never to kill any of the girls, even though her power would allow her to easily to do it.
She warns both Madoka and Sayaka about magical girls, and is truly regretful that Sayaka still becomes one.
As for Kyouko shes actually the girl she has the most 'normal' relationship with, and is pretty cordial with her.
As for Mami, well shes one push away from going mentally insane, and most importantly in one of the timelines(presumably more as well) forces Madoka's hand to kill her, basically Mami turns Madoka into a murderer, something Homura could never forgive and too right she is.
As for why Homura attaches to Madoka more than others, is that as she spent most of her childhood in a hospital her social skills are severely lacking, the other girls in her class may not necessarily bully her, but to a girl so sensitive anything bad they say behind her back would hurt her far more than most people.
Madoka shows she actually is interested and cares for her, and wills her to improve herself, Furthermore she SAVES HER LIFE literally becoming her hero, who she then sees dieing a heroes death, as for why she didn't connect as much with Mami, you have to remember this is Japan and shes very shy girl and would of thought of Mami as more of an older senpai and would of found it difficult with the age gap, as for a relation with Sayaka its not mentioned in the original timeline.
So its only natural in the 2nd timeline, that as a shy and timid girl, she would focus on the one girl she knows was her friend previously, once again Mami is more of a senpai/mentor role with Madoka being the best friend, the time line ends with Homura and Madoka bonding through fighting witches and finally beating Walpurgis together, only to learn the the fate of all magical girls, Now she goes back in time to warn ALL of the girls about Kyubey.
Of course that doesn't work out, and none of the girls believe her, now becomes one of the pivotal moments in her relation with Mami, Mami after learning the truth murders Kyoko and then attempts to murder her, forcing Madoka's hand as I said earlier to kill Mami to SAVE HER, its at this moment Homura sees Mami true side, the timeline once again comes with Madoka SAVING HER, when she chooses to use the grief seed for Homura not herself, and then asks Homura to save her from Kyubey, how could Homura refuse the girl that has saved her constantly and has been her best friend, so she sets off to a new timeline now to save the girl that is always saving her, along the way the other girls (except Kyoko) prove time and time again, to be the cause or the trigger to Madoka's eventual death. Yet she never takes the easy route and kill Mami before she can meet Madoka even though its in her power to do so, she still tries to keep the other girls alive.
Also if you don't think Homura changed over the series then you seriously blind as well as deaf.
Apr 14, 2014 9:35 AM
Sep 2011
Some people see Homura as an escapist character. Some people want their own Homura to be dedicated to them. Others want to be the time traveling brooding loner "badass" who has more firepower than a military.

It also helps that the anime romanticizes her flaws. "Being dark, creepy and obsessive is true friendship and it will create a miracle."
Apr 14, 2014 9:36 AM

Jan 2013
She's dark and edgy and has a twisted past.

That's all MAL needs to love an anime character.
Apr 15, 2014 1:00 AM

Mar 2014
i just realized... after Mami died and Homura was freed of the ribbons, couldn't she just go back in time a little to before Mami and the others found charlotte's lair and kill charlotte herself? ..... like da fawk?
Apr 15, 2014 1:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
She has fantastic character development, especially in the third film. Also borderline yanderes will always be popular due to the sheere entertainment value they bring.
Apr 15, 2014 2:01 AM

Mar 2012
AzuStar said:
i just realized... after Mami died and Homura was freed of the ribbons, couldn't she just go back in time a little to before Mami and the others found charlotte's lair and kill charlotte herself? ..... like da fawk?

Her time powers don't work like that, she would have to completely reset the timeline, and can only do so after usiing half an hourglass of sand. Also every-time she goes back in time, its highly hinted at that shes actually going to parrallel universes this is why its hard for Homura to predict events like when a witch will show up.
Apr 15, 2014 2:06 AM

Mar 2014
ElPysCongroo said:
AzuStar said:

Her time powers don't work like that, she would have to completely reset the timeline, and can only do so after usiing half an hourglass of sand. Also every-time she goes back in time, its highly hinted at that shes actually going to parrallel universes this is why its hard for Homura to predict events like when a witch will show up.

actually... it's already shown in the show that she can change when she goes back in time (remember well she went back in time to before madoka was a magical girl)

also, this "hinted" stuff isn't gonna fly.
Apr 15, 2014 2:33 AM

Mar 2012
AzuStar said:
ElPysCongroo said:
AzuStar said:

actually... it's already shown in the show that she can change when she goes back in time (remember well she went back in time to before madoka was a magical girl)

No every time she goes back in time , she goes a week before she transfers in. It is in this week, before the start of school that Madoka finds the injured cat amy and is contracted by Kyubey, remember in the first timeline Madoka tells Homura that she is a new magical girl. In the first 2 times Homura doesn't stop Kyubey from contacting Madoka as she doesn't know the truth about witches yet and she hasn't promised Madoka to save her. Every consecutive timeline after she spends this week, killing Kyubey, saving the cat and in general prevent Madoka from becoming a MG.
I would also add its actually a bit stronger than hinted of parallel universes, this is how characters like Oriko only show up a few times.
Apr 15, 2014 2:48 AM

Mar 2014
ElPysCongroo said:
AzuStar said:
ElPysCongroo said:
AzuStar said:

No every time she goes back in time , she goes a week before she transfers in. It is in this week, before the start of school that Madoka finds the injured cat amy and is contracted by Kyubey, remember in the first timeline Madoka tells Homura that she is a new magical girl. In the first 2 times Homura doesn't stop Kyubey from contacting Madoka as she doesn't know the truth about witches yet and she hasn't promised Madoka to save her. Every consective timeline after she spends this week, killing Kyubey, saving the cat and in general prevent Madoka from becoming a MG.

hmm... interesting. but still, that doesn't explain why she didn't go back in time even if all the way back to the hospital. she already knows she can't defeat walpurgis by herself and having as many people to help around should be a priority. it was also shown that she still cares about all the girls too.
Apr 15, 2014 2:37 PM
Feb 2014
souledge94 said:

Too sensitive?

Wait until you see the third movie.
Apr 21, 2014 12:23 AM
Apr 2014
The thing is that, because of her heart condition, Homura frequently missed school. Because of this, she didn't develop many friends and was often isolated. Because Madoka showed a lot of kindness to her, Homura quickly bonded with her and they became friends. For Homura, Madoka was her best friend.
When Madoka died, Homura felt an immense amount of grief.
Now, you see, this is the part that I believe you may have misunderstood.
Homura had no obligations to help anyone whatsoever, but she gave up her soul to save her best friend. Already, that is enough to say that she is not a heartless b*tch. Homura has practically given up her life to save her best friend. According to the wiki, she has gone through the same month almost 100 times. When Madoka asked her to stop her from becoming a Magical Girl, Homura honored that wish. Whenever she failed, she tried again. As I said before, Homura has given up her life to save Madoka.
In relation to other characters, while she does become steadily colder towards them, she still does try to save them. If she was really as cold as you pretend she is, she would not have broken up the fight between Sayaka and Kyouko; she would not have retrieved Sayaka's soul gem when Madoka threw it off the bridge; she would not have warned Mami against fighting Charlotte; she would not have attempted to stop Sayaka and Madoka from becoming Magical Girls. Yes, she was more focused on Madoka, but she still cared about the others.
Apr 21, 2014 3:46 AM

Aug 2009
Apr 21, 2014 3:55 AM

Dec 2012
Well if you compare her to the other unlikable cunts characters of the show, she is not that bad and easy to like for the masses since she is stoic and ''badass''.
Apr 21, 2014 4:13 AM

Aug 2009
tsudecimo said:
Well if you compare her to the other unlikable cunts characters of the show, she is not that bad and easy to like for the masses since she is stoic and ''badass''.
Glad that you paid attention to the show and came to that conclusion.I guess if they arent illogical emo/hyperactive boys they cant be likeable.
Apr 21, 2014 10:26 AM
Jun 2013
ssjokg said:
Is it that hard to pay attention to the screen?

Yup saw the whole show and she was pretty much an annoying character throughout and never changed.
Apr 21, 2014 10:28 AM
Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:

I find myself liking the other characters more epscially sayaka.
Apr 21, 2014 10:31 AM
Jun 2013
nrtashi said:
souledge94 said:

Too sensitive?

Wait until you see the third movie.

Yea I saw what she did and yeaaa your right on that part.
Apr 21, 2014 10:32 AM

Dec 2012
souledge94 said:

Yup saw the whole show and she was pretty much an annoying character throughout and never changed.

She did change actually, towards the ending, and after Madoaka's sacrifice.
Apr 21, 2014 10:34 AM
Jun 2013
Mnemofysh said:
The thing is that, because of her heart condition, Homura frequently missed school. Because of this, she didn't develop many friends and was often isolated. Because Madoka showed a lot of kindness to her, Homura quickly bonded with her and they became friends. For Homura, Madoka was her best friend.
When Madoka died, Homura felt an immense amount of grief.
Now, you see, this is the part that I believe you may have misunderstood.
Homura had no obligations to help anyone whatsoever, but she gave up her soul to save her best friend. Already, that is enough to say that she is not a heartless b*tch. Homura has practically given up her life to save her best friend. According to the wiki, she has gone through the same month almost 100 times. When Madoka asked her to stop her from becoming a Magical Girl, Homura honored that wish. Whenever she failed, she tried again. As I said before, Homura has given up her life to save Madoka.
In relation to other characters, while she does become steadily colder towards them, she still does try to save them. If she was really as cold as you pretend she is, she would not have broken up the fight between Sayaka and Kyouko; she would not have retrieved Sayaka's soul gem when Madoka threw it off the bridge; she would not have warned Mami against fighting Charlotte; she would not have attempted to stop Sayaka and Madoka from becoming Magical Girls. Yes, she was more focused on Madoka, but she still cared about the others.

All those were just underline goals to keep madoka safe and happy.She even was going to kill sayaka and show no waver about coming to that decision.
Apr 21, 2014 12:56 PM

Aug 2009
I see that you ignore her actions and emotions.

If you want to criticize a char criticize it for what it is not what you see.

There is no reason for Homura to feel sad for Mami's death or for revealing the truth to her if she only cares about Madoka.There is no reason to save Sayaka's gem when she knows that she will end up as a witch, it would actually help to destroy it before that happens if she wanted Madoka to grief less,she wouldnt feel sad for Kyoko's death etc.

She SHOULD have secretly killed Sayaka when she started showing signs of transformation to a witch if she only cared about Madoka's happiness.
If she was heartless as you say she wouldnt shot Mami to the leg,she would aim for her soul gem.She even looked the other way.

If by"annoying" you mean a character that gave up(after about 12 years) using the friendly approach because SHIT KEPT HAPPENING like Mami trying to kill them then you are right.She is the best "annoying "character.
Apr 21, 2014 2:54 PM
Jun 2013
ssjokg said:

There is no reason for Homura to feel sad for Mami's death or for revealing the truth to her if she only cares about Madoka.There is no reason to save Sayaka's gem when she knows that she will end up as a witch, it would actually help to destroy it before that happens if she wanted Madoka to grief less,she wouldnt feel sad for Kyoko's death etc.

She SHOULD have secretly killed Sayaka when she started showing signs of transformation to a witch if she only cared about Madoka's happiness.
If she was heartless as you say she wouldnt shot Mami to the leg,she would aim for her soul gem.She even looked the other way.

If by"annoying" you mean a character that gave up(after about 12 years) using the friendly approach because SHIT KEPT HAPPENING like Mami trying to kill them then you are right.She is the best "annoying "character.

She didint look like she cared that mami died she just said thats the life of a magic girl.The reason again to save the gem was to keep madoka from feeling horrible that she basicly just killed her close friend.Im talking about the character we are presented with in the final product not her past self.She came off as cold and all around annoying at the end and didint change after everything happened.Also going by the 3rd movie she doesint get any better.Is she your favorite character?
souledge94Apr 21, 2014 3:09 PM
Apr 21, 2014 2:55 PM
Jun 2013
tsudecimo said:
souledge94 said:

She did change actually, towards the ending, and after Madoaka's sacrifice.

Not really she pretty much felt the same.Only thinking of madoka and thats it.If it wasint for the fact that madoka made the world I dont think she would have cared.
souledge94Apr 21, 2014 3:09 PM
Apr 21, 2014 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
souledge94 said:
ssjokg said:

She didint look like she cared that mami died she just said thats the life of a magic girl.The reason again to save the gem was to keep madoka from feeling horrible that she basicly just killed her close friend.Im talking about the character we are presented with in the final product not her past self.She came off as cold and all around annoying at the end and didint change after everything happened.Also going by the 3rd movie she doesint get any better.Is she your favorite character?

And that's your problem, its a fucking act, a persona if you will. On the outside shes looks cold and uncaring, but on the inside (where it matters) shes is hurt constantly, watching her friends suffer horrible fates over and over and over... and over again.
Also none of the other girls even give her a reason to care about them, they all treat with suspicion and you might say she doesn't help herself here, but friendship trust is a 2 way street shes not the only one responsible they are equally too. Further more even though her time powers would make her the perfect assassin, she never takes the easy way and just kill Mami before she even meets Madoka.
As for Sayaka, she was pretty much suicidal and Homura still tried to help her, it was only when Sayaka refused any help and knowing that Sayaka becoming a witch would hurt more people, only then did she even consider.
As for the 3rd film theres very specific reason why Homura does what she does in the film
which says a lot about how much she actually cares
If you still can't see that, then your either trolling or just fricking blind and stupid.
Apr 22, 2014 3:36 AM

Aug 2009
souledge94 said:
ssjokg said:

She didint look like she cared that mami died she just said thats the life of a magic girl.

Are you blind or deaf?both ep 3 and her thoughts about her along with the conclusion of their fight in Rebellion show that she actually cares about her.

The reason again to save the gem was to keep madoka from feeling horrible that she basicly just killed her close friend.

She reacted instantaneously when the gem was thrown.You are telling me that in that insatnt she thought that Madoka would feel horrible IF Kyuubei happened to reveal the truth?Again, that she didnt secretly kill Sayaka the moment she was left alone in her room after that event shows that she cares for her as well.
Im talking about the character we are presented with in the final product not her past self.
And her past more than justifies her character.She isnt annoying.Annoying is someone that for no reason acts like an ass.And I am pretty sure that if she wasnt "annoying" like that then people would call her a naive dumbass that still uses the friendly approach.

She came off as cold and all around annoying at the end and didint change after everything happened.
What?Of course she is cold.Seeing your best friend and companions dying for 12 years, and many times killing them yourself makes you a cold person.But cold doesnt mean bad.
She didnt change?How did you come to that conclusion?She was even in "friendly" terms with the new QB at the end of the tv series.The Rebellion also shows that she knows and trusts Mami and Kyoko.And in Rebellion,

Also going by the 3rd movie she doesint get any better.Is she your favorite character?

I wont repeat everything I said in the same post again.In the Madoka anime series?Probably.
Apr 22, 2014 10:38 AM

Sep 2008
Homura is an obsessive character, and is portrayed as such in the show, however in a rather positive light rather than neutral, to my distress in my original watch. Regardless, her obsessiveness is explored further in the movie, to wild success.

She is NOT a mentally stable girl, and the movie finally gave her character the treatment it deserved (the same it gave Sayaka during the middle of the series).

Let's not forget

However, I do like her. I like all the megucas (to me, the weakest link is, in fact, the titular character), and I applauded the ending of the movie. I was so glad they didn't sugarcoat her decision. She is an interesting character, even if not particularly relatable, her character just makes sense, her actions are in line with her character, she's not one note evil or moe moe good, and if you stick with her, she's a wild ride. And that alone makes her likable. A character doesn't have to be Mr. Nice Guy to be liked. A lot of villains have fanbases, for example. Homura being the neutral, flawed character she is, in a show with such a dark tone, is no wonder she's a popular character.
EmmanuelVRApr 22, 2014 10:44 AM
Apr 22, 2014 10:49 AM

Aug 2009
EmmanuelVR said:

She is NOT a mentally stable girl, and the movie finally gave her character the treatment it deserved (the same it gave Sayaka during the middle of the series).

Let's not forget

But the Homura in the 3rd movie and the Homura of the first 2(and tv series)ARE mentally different since
.So her treatment is somewhat different from Sayaka's.

She didnt become obsessed in the first timeline.It all started there but the obsession came through all of the loops since Madoka kept befriending her even when she was "cold" towards her and the others.
Apr 22, 2014 2:10 PM

Sep 2008

Also when I said treatment, I meant the amount of focus they gave her, which was similar to Sayaka's arc, not the event themselves. Neither Mami nor Kyouko received that much focus.
Apr 22, 2014 6:31 PM
Apr 2014
If you still need more explanation as to why Homura is not a heartless bitch:
I am actually a lot like Homura. I've always felt lonely despite being surrounded by friendly people. A group of girls welcomed me with open arms. Do I care for all of them? Yes, I do. Do I care for one more than the others? Yes, I do. It's called a best friend. I haven't known her for long, but I love her in a totally platonic way, and would go to hell and back for her. Why? She's always there for me, is extremely kind and nice, and perpetually makes me happy. There was a period of time when I was feeling depressed, yet she always managed to lighten my mood, without even trying. If she were to die, I firmly believe I would make a contract like Homura's, though I would probably wish for her to live (instead of going back in time). However, if I did wish to go back in time, continually seeing the death of my friends and my best friend, I highly doubt that I would remain the bubbly, fun girl that I am today.
Am I a heartless bitch? No. I care for all my friends, as did Homura.
Am I a lesbian? No, I love my friend in a PLATONIC way, as I specified earlier.
Am I similar to Homura? Absolutely. And my best friend is 'my' Madoka, you could say.

Thank you and good day!
Apr 23, 2014 3:05 AM

Aug 2009
EmmanuelVR said:

Also when I said treatment, I meant the amount of focus they gave her, which was similar to Sayaka's arc, not the event themselves. Neither Mami nor Kyouko received that much focus.

Oh my bad.
May 4, 2014 6:57 AM
May 2014
souledge94.

You should just stick to watching Hollywood movies and at the very least, comedy anime.

I think shows like this are way too complicated for your ignorant brain.

You clearly don't understand anything about the show let alone the characters. I won't even bother explaining anything because your clearly beyond ignorant and blind/deaf.

Just stick to pokemon, fire > grass Water > Rock.. Or is that too complicated still ?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.