Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 13, 2008 8:46 AM
Dec 2007
AngelLily said:
DeathfireD said:
The only thing I could guess is that his mom was really Kotomi's mom and he found out through his dad, which he now despises. But somehow I doubt thats what really happened :P.

He hates his dad for being a drunk, not caring about him and for hurting his arm, I believe.
On top of not working at all anymore. But yeah, that's all we've been told on that side.

Jan 13, 2008 9:48 AM

Oct 2007
I was finally able to watch this episode and I have to say that it didn't feel as good as it was supposed to feel. It was very revealing and sad but I guess the long break took its toll on this arc. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2008 10:02 AM

Jun 2007
AngelLily said:
DeathfireD said:
The only thing I could guess is that his mom was really Kotomi's mom and he found out through his dad, which he now despises. But somehow I doubt thats what really happened :P.

He hates his dad for being a drunk, not caring about him and for hurting his arm, I believe.

ya, I figured as much. I was just hopping for a story twist lol :/
Jan 13, 2008 10:31 AM

Aug 2007
AngelLily said:
DeathfireD said:

I think its been noted somewhere in the anime that his dad started acting that way when his mom left/died or something. Tomoya stated that he hated his impassive behaviour towards him even if they're family. The whole drunkard and elbow thing just adds salt to the wounds.
Jan 13, 2008 10:36 AM
Dec 2007
PimpToad said:
AngelLily said:
DeathfireD said:

I think its been noted somewhere in the anime that his dad started acting that way when his mom left/died or something. Tomoya stated that he hated his impassive behaviour towards him even if they're family. The whole drunkard and elbow thing just adds salt to the wounds.
Very first episode actually. He states his mom died in a car accident and possibly because of it, his dad began gambling and getting drunk. After he had the little scuffle with Tomoya, his dad started evading him. Played it again to reconfirm it.

Jan 13, 2008 11:30 AM
Jun 2007
5 out of 5: Loved it!
What a cute and excellent episode ^.^
Jan 13, 2008 12:31 PM

Apr 2007
Leon-Gun said:
PimpToad said:
AngelLily said:
DeathfireD said:

Very first episode actually. He states his mom died in a car accident and possibly because of it, his dad began gambling and getting drunk. After he had the little scuffle with Tomoya, his dad started evading him. Played it again to reconfirm it.

I figured it was because of his mother's death, I just didn't affirm it because my memory is terrible, really. And I was too lazy to check the first episode.

But I'm sure there'll be a twist to the why he didn't show up, DeathfireD ^^
Jan 13, 2008 1:04 PM

Aug 2007
Its a Key novel...there will probably be some weird/obvious plot device used to advance the story, they seem to enjoy making the characters sad. With the similarities of Clannad and Kanon, I can see Tomoya's mom pulling a tradegy similar to that of Ayu. Then that singular event will trigger a chain reaction that will lead to how the harem protagonist reacts to his surroundings.

Kotomi's character right now resembles mostly of Mai and some of Nayuki's in Kanon. If the similarities are true, then Kotomi waiting at her birthday party would be similar to Nayuki waiting for Yuuichi at the train station.
Jan 13, 2008 1:09 PM

Apr 2007
I dunno, I don't find the stories that similar. I'm not going to go deep into it here since I'm not sure all the people who're watching Clannad have watched Kanon, but I think the small differences are what make the stories special.
Jan 13, 2008 1:19 PM

Aug 2007
A childhood friend he forgot about and the very first person she considered a friend...I think that concept ties Kotomi's character to Mai of Kanon. Waiting for someone to show up at an important event or when you need that person the most then the psychological trauma caused by the protagonists absence ties Kotomi somewhat to Nayuki. I won't go into further details about the trauma because it wasn't really explained in the anime of Kanon.

Its a known habit for writers to borrow their ideas from past works. The ideas, setting, whatever may be different from the previous work, but you can usually see the similarities to a certain degree.

There better be differences in the story...or there would be no point in watching the show. =P
Jan 13, 2008 2:06 PM

Apr 2007
You miss my point. It feels different even though it should be the same.

This is just my opinion. I see what you mean.
Jan 13, 2008 2:39 PM

Aug 2007
The circumstances that led to the similarities are indeed different. I'm not saying that they are the same, but you get a sense of deja vu if you've played/watched Kanon before.

To the kyoani/key virgins, they probably won't understand the topic of conversation at the moment.

Nice choice in avvys/siggys btw =P
Jan 13, 2008 3:15 PM
Dec 2007
What I do understand and hate is the need to compare every little detail. And it's not to be mean, I just hate that side of fans.

Jan 13, 2008 5:26 PM

Aug 2007
I don't consider similarities between two different shows a "little detail," especially when the similarities are almost near replicas of its predecessor.

According to your list, you haven't watched any of the Kanon adaptations. Give it a look and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Jan 13, 2008 5:31 PM

Oct 2007
PimpToad said:
I don't consider similarities between two different shows a "little detail," especially when the similarities are almost near replicas of its predecessor.

According to your list, you haven't watched any of the Kanon adaptations. Give it a look and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'll have to agree with you. The similarities between Kanon and Clannad are so obvious that it's hard to not think about it whilst watching. Fortunately we didn't have the same problem when it comes to the minor comparisons between Air and Kanon. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2008 5:37 PM
Oct 2007
The next episode is called "The Theory of Everything"

Kotomi's dad was talking about harps that the eyes can't see, harps have strings.

String theory! (actually just a model/hypothesis atm)

Maybe that paper included details about using string theory and truly developing a Theory of Everything which has been the Holy Grail of physics since Quantum Mechanics and Relativity.
Jan 13, 2008 5:41 PM

Aug 2007
I would also like to remind everyone that next week's episode will wrap up the Kotomi arc, unless kyoani is hell bent on rushing the series near the end.

Maybe "The Theory of Everything" will explain to us why Tomoya had that PCP induced dream...xD

Also...

Air and Kanon aren't related whatsoever, the stories are vastly different and gameplay of Air is linear. Kanon and Clannad on the other hand...well I don't think I have to explain myself.
Jan 13, 2008 6:49 PM
Dec 2007
PimpToad said:
I would also like to remind everyone that next week's episode will wrap up the Kotomi arc, unless kyoani is hell bent on rushing the series near the end.

Maybe "The Theory of Everything" will explain to us why Tomoya had that PCP induced dream...xD

Also...

Air and Kanon aren't related whatsoever, the stories are vastly different and gameplay of Air is linear. Kanon and Clannad on the other hand...well I don't think I have to explain myself.
Yeah, no need. I don't think I want to check. I got glimpses, and my friends have watched it. they all told me to steer clear so I decided I had plenty of other stuff to see and followed their advice.

Jan 14, 2008 4:58 AM

Apr 2007
It's just a matter of similarities, but the characters are interesting enough to surpass those similarities and you get to enjoy the story anyway. However, I don't know why, but I just couldn't feel for the girls up to now. Fuko was just annoying, IMO, and Kotomi is cuter but her personality doesn't attract me that much. Though I admit their stories were interesting at one point, they just didn't appeal to me. Let's hope Nagisa or Tomoyo can do that. Who knows, maybe even Kyou can.

Thanks, PimpToad. You haven't changed your avvy in a while though, and I've seen you do so at least three times now? XD
Jan 14, 2008 8:20 AM

Dec 2007
"Those who pursue truth must not be arrogant"

Try telling that to a 7 years old lol.
Jan 14, 2008 9:29 PM

Jun 2007
Leon-Gun said:
What I do understand and hate is the need to compare every little detail. And it's not to be mean, I just hate that side of fans.

I agree with you. Comparing shows sucks and unfortunitly its a habbit of allot of anime fans. However, not all of us do it just the people that are hard core fans that like to talk about comparisons between similar shows. The only time I compare series is when I'm dealing with Gundam. Everything else I keep an open mind about till the last ep where I end up blowing up or praising it.

Anyway good discussion so far. I wonder what will happen in the next ep since its the last for this ark.
Jan 15, 2008 12:32 PM

Aug 2007
DeathfireD said:
Leon-Gun said:

I agree with you. Comparing shows sucks and unfortunitly its a habbit of allot of anime fans. However, not all of us do it just the people that are hard core fans that like to talk about comparisons between similar shows. The only time I compare series is when I'm dealing with Gundam. Everything else I keep an open mind about till the last ep where I end up blowing up or praising it.

Anyway good discussion so far. I wonder what will happen in the next ep since its the last for this ark.

This is a discussion thread, in case some people forgot about that fact. Are you so blind that you label any discussion that compares characters from different anime as blind fanboyism? Who the hell are you to say that the people who do comparisons aren't open minded and set aside their personal biases to make an objective point of view?

I kindly request that you explain how a comparison between two visual novels done by the same company (Key), then in turn adapted by the same company (Kyoto Animation), be considered "every little detail." Give an objective response other than blaming everything on blind fanboyism.

You can say whatever you want, but the evidence is there and in plain sight. I don't know whether you just enjoy rebuking every statement that I make or not, but it's starting to get annoying.

@AngelLily
I've only changed my avvy once, the one you are seeing is a simple gif with two images. Shiki/Nanaya is just too badass =P
Jan 15, 2008 12:54 PM
Dec 2007
Okay, I can overpass a lot of comparisons, but when there's a need to link every little thing from their current work to their previous work, then it goes close to becoming an annoyance (in other words, I'm the one who was getting annoyed, I had kept my mouth shut so far).

Jan 15, 2008 12:57 PM

Apr 2007
It's not like we were trying to force the comparisons. The sense of deja vu is impossible to avoid. I don't know if you've watched Kanon or Air, but if you did, you could see it. We were just discussing up to what point it felt similar, and why it gave us a bad impression. It's not like we were trying to compare the works to see which was better.
Jan 15, 2008 1:02 PM
Dec 2007
Well, I'm sorry if I got the wrong impression. And yes, I did see Air (not Kanon though) and I can certainly see some recurring themes. But that's almost to be expected. Authors tend to draw elements from their previous works.

Jan 15, 2008 1:08 PM

Apr 2007
I meant bad impression about the recurring themes actually XD It's nice if some elements are present; it's like it's a trademark. Kind of like CLAMP and how they always insert something about "a wish" in almost all of their works. But up to what point is it a "trademark"? It was just coming off like unoriginal. It's one of the reasons Clannad hasn't managed to appeal to me. I -do- think the small differences make the story original enough, but still, the characters aren't appealing.
Jan 15, 2008 2:34 PM

Aug 2007
I think the phrase "everything has been done before, just a question of how you present it" applies to pretty much most anime today.
*dunno the exact quote* =P

I don't like Fuko at all, but I find Kotomi-chan~ highly appealing. I think I'm suckered in by every moe~ character out there xD

I didn't see that much similarities when comparing Clannad to Air, it applies more to Kanon really. The small differences do make the story somewhat original, but that sense of deja vu is still there.

Jan 15, 2008 3:24 PM

Apr 2007
There is a particular story in Air that is similar to Fuko's. I won't go into detail about it, but the character disappears as well. I think that's about it, though.
Jan 15, 2008 4:44 PM

Aug 2007
You are correct on that part and the disappearance and 'x' is the only similarity of Fuko and the 'x' character. Besides, Fuko resembles Ayu way more than 'x' in Air. The whole hospitalization, the ghost girl, even the chibi character fit both characters nearly the exact same way...

I think we may be getting off topic here...more Kotomi less Fuko...actually let's forget about Fuko altogether now =P

One thing they should have done is stayed dead...DIE CHIBI DIE!!! T_T
Jan 15, 2008 10:23 PM

Jun 2007
PimpToad said:
I think the phrase "everything has been done before, just a question of how you present it" applies to pretty much most anime today.

Thats kind of why its pointless to compare any anime show to any other anime show. Almost everything new has been done several times over so why bother posting the obvious? Thats the point I was trying to get off. When watching a new show (other then Gundam) I keep my opinion open and try and avoid thinking about any other shows until the very end. Then I decide if it was really so similar or not. As for Gundam, I am die hard fan and its almost impossible for me to not compare past series to newer ones. Not everyone seems to have the same mentality though.

@Pimptoad - don't get so angry it causes wrinkles lol.
Jan 16, 2008 3:05 AM

Apr 2007
Toads get wrinkles?

Anyway, more Kotomi less Fuuko indeed. Kotomi is adorable and her story is touching, but I still want her arc to eeeeend. The title of the next episode still leaves me very interested. Wait, today is still Wednesday? Damn it...
Jan 16, 2008 12:16 PM

Aug 2007
DeathfireD said:
PimpToad said:

Thats kind of why its pointless to compare any anime show to any other anime show. Almost everything new has been done several times over so why bother posting the obvious? Thats the point I was trying to get off. When watching a new show (other then Gundam) I keep my opinion open and try and avoid thinking about any other shows until the very end. Then I decide if it was really so similar or not. As for Gundam, I am die hard fan and its almost impossible for me to not compare past series to newer ones. Not everyone seems to have the same mentality though.

@Pimptoad - don't get so angry it causes wrinkles lol.

You are just contradicting yourself now. You say that it's pointless to compare other shows but you make an exception for Gundam? I think the word we are looking for here is hypocrite.

You haven't even seen a single episode of Kanon, so that means that you have no business replying to the previous posts. Its best to keep your mouth shut unless you know what you are talking about.

I'm not mad, I actually find your arguments amusing to an extent. You contradict yourself and you have no idea about the topic of discussion, yet you seem to have the urge to reply anyway. Amusing fellow :-)

And aren't toads wrinkly to begin with?
*not that kind of toad, but whatever*
Jan 17, 2008 11:22 PM

Dec 2007
Yea, I fell asleep trying to watch this episode. This series started off decent and I figured I could at least pass the time watching it when nothing else was going on. Oh well, plenty of other shows to keep me entertained.
playconnJan 19, 2008 6:14 PM
Jan 21, 2008 6:08 PM

Jun 2007
it was a good episode and all.... but since i have read the whole topic here... i gotta say, its a nice touch from them to bring back fuuko, its not like she is dead yet, she is just in a coma. dont go killing her off ;)

what really annoys me is that ayu is the main lead... i just dont like her that much, i would prefer kyou, or even kotomi to be the main leads... anyways, thats too off topic for this episode.

i didn't mind seeing kotomi's past (yes i disagree with most of you), and i guess that the way they present tomoya's past is really nice. the 5:15 part mentioned earlier... was too wrong... i am not for lolis... except shana and louise... and maybe some other lolis that are not 7 year olds...

beautiful episode, and i will give this show a 10/10 if they dont end up with nagisa D:
Feb 15, 2008 8:21 AM

Oct 2007
The first 10 minutses were so cute yet they turned so sad. The first ten minutes were perfect. 10/10
Apr 2, 2008 10:17 AM

Nov 2007
Little Kotomi and little Tomoya... so cute
Kotomi's past is really sad..

May 23, 2008 3:24 PM

Nov 2007
TT__TT amazing ep.
May 27, 2008 12:06 PM

Jan 2008
When Kotomi sees what they have done to her lawn she will probably be shocked.
It can't be normal that people just start ripping out you lawn without your consent, I can already see her reaction, "ijimekko?"
Who the heck would be happy by something like that? I think too long grass at least looks better than none at all, and wouldn't just cutting it be enough?
I can say this at least, if I came out of my house one day and all the grass would be gone I would not be very happy!
Jun 5, 2008 6:54 PM
Oct 2007
Wonder why he wasnt there on Kotomi's birthday...

Hope he remembers what he had forgotten...
Jul 9, 2008 2:09 PM

Dec 2007
I probably would've enjoyed this a lot more if I watched it in one sitting but with my crappy internet it took three. Anyway, I haven't really felt attached to Kotomi at all in this which kind of takes away from the impact, she just acts so robotic that I can't really feel for her character.

#NBHNC
Jul 11, 2008 11:36 PM

Jun 2008
ok so the memory black out only lasted for a episode.. good cuz i would have been pissed if he still didn't remember... but for some reasom kotomi went from #1 to not so favorite anymore... idk

First Sig built from scratch 2nd overall^^^
Jul 14, 2008 11:31 PM

Mar 2007
Is it me or do the:

Japanese NEVER send their kids to orphanages?!?

I mean come on... wheres child services for crying out loud >_< most of these slice of life comedies have kids living in their own its hilarious. I mean how many kids do YOU know (under 18) that live on their own??

...Besides that, it was a sad story. Moff Burger?!?! And whats with Okazaki? Does he never have homework? ...gotta stop trying to connect anime to real life coz that will never work :)

After this episode, only 1/2 way done, im sure theres gonna be more train wrecks ahead
RanivusJul 14, 2008 11:36 PM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Oct 7, 2008 3:02 PM

Sep 2008
kotomi.. and tomoya... is so cute chibi version. :( I think this series is starting to get to me for thinking this way..

This flashback is so sad.

Ok, is it just me or does others agree what tomoya did was stupid. Why did he leave kotomi in the first place (after she told him to leave) and why after being told the offer, he didn't run to her house but instead talk to him friends first..
Nov 1, 2008 7:03 PM

Jun 2008
So sad ;___;
Jan 2, 2009 6:34 AM

Jan 2008
OMG, they are weeding! Because digging up someone's garden makes that person happier. This episode had too much drama, need more comedy!
Jan 31, 2009 8:42 PM

Dec 2008
Has anyone else noticed the reference to string theory from Kotomi's father when he tells her how the word is an infinite collection of harps that play melodies and cross inbetween?
Mar 28, 2009 12:20 PM

Mar 2009
whouaa!! i cant stand my tears when kotomi hear the news her parent will not able meet her again. She realize her mistake that she should t say " i hate you".. wuuu! so sad.
May 19, 2009 2:16 PM
Feb 2008
So no one came to check on the 7-8 year old kid living by herself? At all...
Aug 13, 2009 6:35 PM

Jun 2009
The story is just getting better and better. Poor Kotomi, I hope she finds happiness
Sep 6, 2009 5:17 PM

Aug 2009
Omg, poor Kotomi! I hope she doesn't leave Japan to study abroad.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

443 by Creepyy »»
Yesterday, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nodoka-koi - Nov 22, 2007

193 by Creepyy »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.