Forum Settings
Forums

There is a lack of good non-supernatural fighting scenes in anime

New
Feb 21, 2014 8:44 PM
Jul 2012
The only anime I can think of with very nice fight scenes that have no magic or super-powers is Sword of the Stranger. There are probably more (but not that much more), but Sword of the Stranger probably has the best fighting scenes in anime history up to date, and maybe will stay the best for another decade or so (sadface).

Why do anime creators insist on involving magic or ninja arts or super powers in fight scenes? Natural fight scenes look so nice. It's like why would you have tentacle monsters screwing girls in hentai rather than regular sex with men? The things Japanese people fuck up...
stanklem28Feb 21, 2014 8:51 PM
Feb 21, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2013
Disregarding the sex question, there are few anime with fight like sword of the stranger and that saddens me. The ending fight in that movie is one of the most epic things I have ever seen in anime, the animation was fluid and intense and there were no special powers or named attacks. Shows with similar fighting styles are few and far between (for example Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo).
Feb 21, 2014 8:52 PM
Jul 2012
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Disregarding the sex question, there are few anime with fight like sword of the stranger and that saddens me. The ending fight in that movie is one of the most epic things I have ever seen in anime, the animation was fluid and intense and there were no special powers or named attacks. Shows with similar fighting styles are few and far between (for example Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo).
Those were epic as well. But they're so old. See how as time progress, anime regresses to less fighting scenes like those in these anime
Feb 21, 2014 8:55 PM

Dec 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Because realistic fights are boring because of human limits

On the contrary, limitations and realism can provide for some very entertaining fights. Psycho-Pass has some really great CQC, a shame it's only one brief scene.
Feb 21, 2014 8:56 PM
Jul 2013
Tsk..

This is why they should adapt Vinland Saga.
Feb 21, 2014 8:57 PM

Sep 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
Forgetfulness said:

On the contrary, limitations and realism can provide for some very entertaining fights. Psycho-Pass has some really great CQC, a shame it's only one brief scene.
psycho passes cqc is not realistic, its overglorified, real life cqc is boring as fuck

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 21, 2014 9:01 PM
Jul 2012
JizzyHitler said:
Ratohnhaketon said:
Forgetfulness said:

psycho passes cqc is not realistic, its overglorified, real life cqc is boring as fuck
Not overglorified. I think choreographed is more appropriate. Here's a non-asian-produced live-action movie with the best fighting scenes I've ever seen: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2458106/
Feb 21, 2014 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
stanklem28 said:
The only anime I can think of with very nice fight scenes that have no magic or super-powers is Sword of the Stranger. There are probably more (but not that much more), but Sword of the Stranger probably has the best fighting scenes in anime history up to date, and maybe will stay the best for another decade or so (sadface).

Why do anime creators insist on involving magic or ninja arts or super powers in fight scenes? Natural fight scenes look so nice.

So you mean the fight scenes in Berserk or KnK are not epic?
Nice joke bro..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 21, 2014 9:07 PM

Dec 2012
skyzblue said:

So you mean the fight scenes in Berserk are not epic

They weren't even good, let alone epic.
Feb 21, 2014 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:

ah...spoken like a true Narutard
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 21, 2014 9:11 PM

Feb 2014
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:

Don't fucking talk shit about berserk!!! U narutard!!!
If I should believe in God. I should also believe in the tooth fairy. The bible is man made. It was Made by bearded men to try and control people with their beliefs. Off topic. No anime can even come close to Nana. :P

Feb 21, 2014 9:14 PM
Jul 2012
Naruto has some decently nice natural fighting scenes when they aren't employing the ninja arts.

Berserk is just hack and slash gory one-sided massacre. There's no fighting when guts just melts thru his enemies with his blunt sword.
Feb 21, 2014 9:18 PM

Jan 2013
stanklem28 said:

Berserk is just hack and slash gory one-sided massacre. There's no fighting when guts just melts thru his enemies with his blunt sword.

Because he is that good. And if you want looooong fights, rewatch Dbz again
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 21, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2014
stanklem28 said:
Naruto has some decently nice natural fighting scenes when they aren't employing the ninja arts.

Agreed. Many people seem to confuse the Berserk manga with the anime. The anime doesn't live up.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 21, 2014 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
RedRoseFring said:
stanklem28 said:

Agreed. Many people seem to confuse the Berserk manga with the anime. The anime doesn't live up.

When I say Berserk, I always mean the manga *sighs*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 21, 2014 9:33 PM
Jul 2012
skyzblue said:
When I say Berserk, I always mean the manga *sighs*
Notice I mentioned "anime" in the thread title.
Feb 21, 2014 9:33 PM
Jul 2009
Kyon aka "John Smith". We are alike in some aspects.

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
Feb 21, 2014 9:36 PM
Jul 2012
rein13th said:
wtf?
Feb 21, 2014 9:37 PM

Jan 2011
skyzblue said:
stanklem28 said:

Why do anime creators insist on involving magic or ninja arts or super powers in fight scenes? Natural fight scenes look so nice.

So you mean the fight scenes in Berserk or KnK are not epic?
Nice joke bro..

non supernatural... an Bersek fights were a bunch of stllshots in the anime series an hillarous cgfest in the movies
Feb 21, 2014 9:39 PM

Jan 2014
Non-supernatural fights can be good, but they just have so many limitations when compared to supernatural fights.
That is why I tend to prefer anime that offer supernatural confrontations over regular fights that never reach the same level of "epic."
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 21, 2014 9:44 PM

Jan 2013
rein13th said:

*sighs* And I thought I was the only one who didn't pay attention to Stanklem's threads -_-
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 21, 2014 9:45 PM

Jan 2014
LOL.. If you want some good non-supernatural fighting on anime, why don;t you watch Hajime no Ippo.. or the last fight between Vicious and Spike in Cowboy Bebop.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Feb 21, 2014 9:45 PM

Dec 2012
skyzblue said:
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:

?

How is that at all even remotely relevant to whether or not I'm a Narutard? petty insults at it finest.

The action wasn't good in Berserk. In fact the constant action made me give Berserk a lower score. It's like stanklem said, the action is just dumb hack n slash. One of the fight scenes against Zodd was good but that's about it.
Feb 21, 2014 9:48 PM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:

?

How is that at all even remotely relevant to whether or not I'm a Narutard? petty insults at it finest.

The action wasn't good in Berserk. In fact the constant action made me give Berserk a lower score.

Petty insults?
Pffffft..
Fact is fact, fellow MAL user.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 21, 2014 9:51 PM

Nov 2013
Because most anime is targeted towards the younger age group...? Go figure.
Feb 21, 2014 9:51 PM

Dec 2012
How. Is. It. Relevant.

Anyway. Berserk action suck dick, that's what is important.
Feb 21, 2014 9:52 PM

Apr 2012
Seirei no Moribito had some sick spear fights. Too bad they were kinda brief.
Also Sword of Stranger +1

Feb 21, 2014 10:07 PM

Oct 2011
I like "supernatural" fights because why the fuck not throw in some random powers and garbage it's cool most of the time
Feb 21, 2014 10:16 PM

Jan 2013
After being an MMA and boxing fan for so long, most "fights" in anime, film, or TV seem silly as hell most of the times.

You cannot get any more faker than Jet li or shaolin monk fights.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Feb 21, 2014 10:21 PM

Jan 2013
MajinSaga said:
After being an MMA and boxing fan for so long, most "fights" in anime, film, or TV seem silly as hell most of the times.

don't they use those weird kung fu or something?
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 21, 2014 10:27 PM

Jan 2013
I like the fights in Hunter x Hunter, DBZ, One Piece and stuff like that. Because they aren't too supernatural, they're a mix.

For example Luffy vs. Crocodile was straight up fist fight. But it had the devil fruits mixed in but they weren't too involved.

Thats why i like how those series do they're fights.
Feb 21, 2014 10:30 PM

Jan 2013
skyzblue said:
MajinSaga said:

kung fu is the least successful fighting style of all time.

Boxing, muay thai, wrestling, & Brazilian Jiu jitsu dominate the sport.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Feb 21, 2014 10:31 PM

Jan 2013
MajinSaga said:
skyzblue said:
MajinSaga said:

kung fu is the least successful fighting style of all time.

Boxing, muay thai, wrestling, & Brazilian Jiu jitsu dominate the sport.

Jeet Kun Do beats all those
Feb 22, 2014 1:30 AM

Oct 2010
Aside from the mentioned, I remember very fondly the Sanji vs Gin fight in One Piece. One of the best of the first few arcs, and one of the few that had zero supernatural elements involved.
Feb 22, 2014 1:42 AM

Apr 2013
stanklem28 said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Those were epic as well. But they're so old. See how as time progress, anime regresses to less fighting scenes like those in these anime

Yeah, I can't really think of any recent anime with realistic fighting scenes, even sports anime such as Hajime no Ippo are too over the top to have those. Still, to me, it's no big deal as I think magic/powers can make a battle more epic and interesting if done right. The last showdown in Fate Zero is perfect proof of that.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 22, 2014 8:45 AM

Aug 2013
I agree I think there should be more pure samurai anime (samurai anime with no super powers, magic, super natural stuff) like Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo etc. It's nice sometimes to just see pure sword fighting.
Feb 22, 2014 9:03 AM

Feb 2013
the same reason there arent many 100% realistic anime
because that's what live action is for
Feb 22, 2014 10:04 AM

Sep 2011
skyzblue said:
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:
tsudecimo said:
skyzblue said:

?

The action wasn't good in Berserk. In fact the constant action made me give Berserk a lower score.

Petty insults?
Pffffft..
Fact is fact, fellow MAL user.

JUST FUCK ALREADY!!!!

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 22, 2014 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
Non-anime wise: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
One of the best martial arts movies I've seen. Stylistic kind of, but also choreographed to look realistic.

Anime-wise: it's easy to animate a fight that will eventually end with a big explosion and have explosions throughout than second by second choreography detailing every subtle movements.

Sword of the Stranger remains one of the best in the latter area. I enjoyed Samurai Champloo too.
Feb 22, 2014 10:22 AM

Apr 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
I agree I think there should be more pure samurai anime (samurai anime with no super powers, magic, super natural stuff) like Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo etc. It's nice sometimes to just see pure sword fighting.

I'd actually say that RuroKen has some pretty damn "supernatural, or at the very least unrealistic, attacks. Especially, Shishio's attacks.
Feb 22, 2014 10:27 AM

Feb 2010
Watch Hajime no Ippo or something like that. Or watch UFC and fuck anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2014 10:48 AM

Jun 2013
yhunata said:
DrGeroCreation said:

I'd actually say that RuroKen has some pretty damn "supernatural, or at the very least unrealistic, attacks. Especially, Shishio's attacks.

Not the OVA
Feb 22, 2014 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
yhunata said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Kuzu Ryu Sen to me is the most unrealistic attack in Rurouni Kenshin followed by Sojiro's attacks. Even though some of the attacks are somewhat unrealistic the point is there is no super powers or magic in Ruroni Kenshin (I don't count the last arc because it's filler).

FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Not the OVA
Exactly for the most part Trust and Betrayal had realistic sword fighting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

37 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

22 by Eziprez »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 44 minutes ago

8 by deg »»
15 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 38 minutes ago

2 by alshu »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.