Forum Settings
Forums

Why do so many anime fans here think people who prefer older anime only like them for nostalgia factor?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Feb 19, 2014 5:25 AM

Oct 2010
ButNotForMe said:
Macross F is really bad, and people here rate it higher than Macross Plus, lol

ButNotForMe said:
Just look at the Jump, Japan is really going down

ButNotForMe said:
The Anime industry is shrinking
There is no more variety

But Not For Me
Feb 19, 2014 5:30 AM

Jul 2013
jal90 said:
ButNotForMe said:
Macross F is really bad, and people here rate it higher than Macross Plus, lol

ButNotForMe said:
Just look at the Jump, Japan is really going down

ButNotForMe said:
The Anime industry is shrinking
There is no more variety

But Not For Me

Is a good song by Chet Baker
Feb 19, 2014 5:32 AM
Nov 2013
Because many anime fans are just stupid people who can't watch something with old art, they think Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai is the best anime ever just because of the good and modern artwork. And when you say that Mobile Suit Gundam is amazing, they look at the art and say it's the ugliest thing ever created.
Feb 19, 2014 5:38 AM

Apr 2013
Like Hayao Miyazaki said, the Japan Anime industry is full of otaku who never spends time observing what people do in real life, which make the products suck, especially most of the light novel shit like infinite stratos and SAO.

For comic, OP, started from 1997 is still dominating the market. Both Bleach and Naruto are dying. There are some promising series in jump now but they will never reach the height of DB and SD
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 19, 2014 6:35 AM

Dec 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
I don't really get the 'nostalgia' thing. I watched Bebop and gave a 10, did I have 'nostalgia' for an anime I had just finished? Or is the claim the, say, Bebop get PRAISED now only because of 'nostalgia'? This point makes more sense, having good memories of an anime is different than "liking it because of nostalgia".

The main difference is that nostalgia creates a warped and inaccurate view of something, similar to how a child will look up to a movie star or music artist believing them to be the ideal role model. It mixes too much romanticism into the fantasy and creates delusions.

I finished Slam Dunk last month. I thought it was great, I gave it a 9. Nostalgia is not a necessity in order to appreciate and enjoy older titles. However, I noticed many of the 1990s enthusiasts who praised it in KnB vs SD discussions would conveniently leave out all of its flaws and problems, and bash KnB for everything that Slam Dunk does anyway.

For example, people say the characters are too archetype'd in KnB, yet in Slam Dunk every main character is a popular archetype from that time period. Turning a blind eye is when it goes from preference to nostalgia, the only Americans who are going to say "man, I sure miss the 1930s, those were the glory days!" are going to be white men who had the luxury of a good life prior to the Civil Rights Movement.
Feb 19, 2014 6:41 AM

Dec 2011
Well, because older anime ARE better than newer anime mostly. Consider anime as literature. It's all about appreciation. How many anime of recent times have deep and thought-provoking themes infused into them?
Feb 19, 2014 6:43 AM

Jul 2011
Robin6128 said:
Well, because older anime ARE better than newer anime mostly. Consider anime as literature. It's all about appreciation. How many anime of recent times have deep and thought-provoking themes infused into them?

Shinsekai Yori, Steins Gate?
Feb 19, 2014 6:53 AM

Jan 2013
It is true that nostalgia plays a role in the case of older anime, but the most important thing for why we appreciate older anime is because they were very very good..
pralan said:
Robin6128 said:

That's like less than 1% of the newer anime. Also, compare the best of newer anime and older anime, and you can clearly see the winner.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 19, 2014 6:53 AM
Nov 2013
pralan said:
Robin6128 said:

no
Feb 19, 2014 6:56 AM

Jul 2011
skyzblue said:
It is true that nostalgia plays a role in the case of older anime, but the most important thing for why we appreciate older anime is because they were very very good..
pralan said:
Robin6128 said:

That's like less than 1% of the newer anime. Also, compare the best of newer anime and older anime, and you can clearly see the winner.

In the one that Monster and Gintama belongs, since there 2 years of difference between both

Rashkolnikov said:
pralan said:
Robin6128 said:

no

Yes
Feb 19, 2014 7:02 AM

Apr 2013
Come back when a 21st century TV anime sells more than EVA in Japan

then we can talk
Feb 19, 2014 7:03 AM

Jan 2013
pralan said:
skyzblue said:
pralan said:
Robin6128 said:

In the one that Monster and Gintama belongs, since there 2 years of difference between them

I take it you haven't heard of Utena and Lain, and also a small anime known as LOGH.
Also, Monster came in 2004, so it was before the 'moe crap' era began.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 19, 2014 7:04 AM

Oct 2010
ButNotForMe said:
Come back when a TV anime in this century sales more than EVA

then we can talk

You could at least name a franchise that hasn't tried to adjust itself to the newer trends so badly.
Feb 19, 2014 7:05 AM

Apr 2013
moetrash began with haruhi suzumiya and kon was its finest

conclusion, kyoani must die
Feb 19, 2014 7:07 AM

Mar 2008
ButNotForMe said:

That'll be hard when people like you go about supporting Steins Gate.
Feb 19, 2014 7:07 AM

Jul 2011
skyzblue said:
I take it you haven't heard of Utena and Lain, and also a small anime known as LOGH.
Also, Monster came in 2004, so it was before the 'moe crap' era began.

Lain=8
LOGH is in my PTW
And i heard about Utena.
Shinsekai Yori > Old Anime
Ashita No Joe > New Anime
Monster and Gintama > Both

Mod Edit: quote tower fixed.
ThangLongFeb 21, 2014 8:27 AM
Feb 19, 2014 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
ButNotForMe said:

Well, they also gave Hyouka..
Lets kill them anyway ( unless they announce a season 2 of it)
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 19, 2014 7:10 AM

Dec 2012
Ckan said:
ButNotForMe said:

Moetrash began with the 1990s
Feb 19, 2014 7:10 AM
Nov 2013
ButNotForMe said:

Agree with kon, but what's wrong with Haruhi. Not moetrash.
Feb 19, 2014 7:11 AM

Jan 2013
pralan said:

Lain=8
LOGH is in my PTW
And i heard about Utena.

It's amusing to see how confidently you can troll yourself
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 19, 2014 7:12 AM

Mar 2008
Ratohnhaketon said:
Ckan said:
ButNotForMe said:

Moetrash began with the 1990s
We have to go deeper. Back to the beginning!
Feb 19, 2014 7:13 AM

Jul 2011
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1336/92/1336922621817.jpg
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1345/41/1345415029930.png
https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1337/69/1337694138271.jpg
Sure, after Haruhi
skyzblue said:
pralan said:

Lain=8
LOGH is in my PTW
And i heard about Utena.

Maybe that is the point?
Feb 19, 2014 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
pralan said:
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1336/92/1336922621817.jpg
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1345/41/1345415029930.png
https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1337/69/1337694138271.jpg
Sure, after Haruhi
skyzblue said:
pralan said:

Lain=8
LOGH is in my PTW
And i heard about Utena.

Maybe that is the point?

*SLOW CLAP*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 19, 2014 7:23 AM

Apr 2013
haruhi started the trend of light novel anime, and most of the light novel animes are one-dimensional with the same school setting and set of characters

kon started the trend of moe without substance (motherfucking tea)

then there were infinite stratos, oreimo, haganai

lel
Feb 19, 2014 7:23 AM

Jul 2011

Yes, new anime = old anime.
People that say new anime is objectly better is as bad as people that say that older anime is objectly better.
"Moe trash" has begun when anime has begun.

skyzblue said:

*SLOW CLAP*

Slow clap
Feb 19, 2014 7:24 AM

Dec 2011
The only things that actually improved through time was visuals and sound, just due to improved technology...
Feb 19, 2014 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
Robin6128 said:
The only things that actually improved through time was visuals and sound, just due to improved technology...

new matrix version of boobs...never forget that.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 19, 2014 7:28 AM

Mar 2008
ButNotForMe said:
haruhi started the trend of light novel anime, and most of the light novel animes are one-dimensional with the same school setting and set of characters

lel
You seem new to this. Azumanga Daioh precedes K-On with the 'doing nothing' 4-koma style. I suppose that's already faded out of memory now. Sucks getting old.
Feb 19, 2014 7:30 AM

Jul 2011
Ckan said:
ButNotForMe said:

lel
You seem new to this. Azumanga Daioh precedes K-On with the 'doing nothing' 4-koma style. I suppose that's already faded out of memory now.

Know the difference
Feb 19, 2014 7:32 AM

Mar 2008
pralan said:
Ckan said:
ButNotForMe said:
lel
You seem new to this. Azumanga Daioh precedes K-On with the 'doing nothing' 4-koma style. I suppose that's already faded out of memory now.

Know the difference
B-but how can this be!? Propaganda, spread by the enemy.
Feb 19, 2014 7:55 AM
Nov 2013
pralan said:
Ckan said:
ButNotForMe said:

lel

Know the difference

Guess I've been watching the wrong shows then.
Feb 19, 2014 7:58 AM

Jul 2011
Rashkolnikov said:
Guess I've been watching the wrong shows then.

Yes, you have watched only the 2 wrong options
Feb 19, 2014 8:05 AM

Apr 2013
Both KON and LS sold better than Azumanga Daioh because they had more moe elements, not because they were funnier
Feb 19, 2014 8:07 AM

Jul 2011
Then you agreed that Azumanga is better than both?
Feb 19, 2014 8:15 AM

Sep 2012
I'll shut up about nostalgia crap when it looks like you aren't basing your tastes around nostalgia.

I'm not saying that the classics are bad by any means, but It really DOES seem like the majority of anime fans that only like old anime, do so for the nostalgia factor. Most of the "oldies," as I'll call 'em, never doing anything but cherry pick and thus blindly complain about modern day anime like they are a bunch of grumpy old people, despite how anime has clearly advanced as a medium and has done things the only classics are capable of dreaming of doing.

Almost to the point where you're afraid they might start going, "Back in my day..."

Followed by, "FUCKING KIDS! Get off my lawn!"
KorrvoFeb 19, 2014 8:25 AM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 19, 2014 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
Korrvo said:
I'll shut up about nostalgia crap when it looks like you aren't basing your tastes around nostalgia.

It really DOES seem like the majority of anime fans that only like old anime, do so for the nostalgia character. None of the "oldies" as I'll call 'em, ever doing anything but cherry pick and thus blindly complain about modern day anime like they are grumpy old people.

Almost to the point where you're afraid they might start going, "Back in my day..."

T-THAT'S A LIE, GRANDPA!
Kagami_Hiiragi said:

Feb 19, 2014 8:20 AM

Mar 2012
Because we only remember the good thing from the past and forget the bad thing.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 19, 2014 8:22 AM

Mar 2008
NeoAnkara said:
Rather, we remember the good things better than they were, and the bad things worse.
Feb 19, 2014 8:25 AM

Mar 2012
Ckan said:
NeoAnkara said:
Rather, we remember the good things better than they were, and the bad things worse.
I'm not sure if I'm should be happy or not but there aren't any anime bad enough that air in my country when I was a little (or it just because I don't know what bad is back then).
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 19, 2014 8:37 AM

Oct 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Ckan said:
NeoAnkara said:
I'm not sure if I'm should be happy or not but there aren't any anime bad enough that air in my country when I was a little (or it just because I don't know what bad is back then).

Maybe, because u were little? Your taste may change now.
Feb 19, 2014 8:50 AM

Feb 2010
Korrvo said:

I'm not saying that the classics are bad by any means, but It really DOES seem like the majority of anime fans that only like old anime, do so for the nostalgia factor. Most of the "oldies," as I'll call 'em, never doing anything but cherry pick and thus blindly complain about modern day anime like they are a bunch of grumpy old people, despite how anime has clearly advanced as a medium and has done things the only classics are capable of dreaming of doing.

Bullshit. You're probably talking about the 2 or 3 very vocal annoyances in the MAL Forum, like MajinSaga and stanklem and base your opinion on them just because they're so vocal all the time. But if you WANT to think that every older anime is only liked because of nostalgia, arguments or common sense will not be enough to convince you otherwise.
I don't like pure nostalgiafags as much as the next guy, but people like you are worse. At least they cherrypick and rant without any basis about anime, and not other people.

People who rant about modern day anime all the time are a seperate breed from people who just DONT HATE EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT'S OLD.
Obviously you'll always hear the loud rants of the nostalgiafags and you won't hear the non-complaints of regular fans -> Conclusion: There are no regular fans because you don't hear about them all the time.
Silly.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2014 8:55 AM

Mar 2008
The silent majority sure sucks at this 'being heard' thing. I wonder why.
Feb 19, 2014 8:56 AM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Korrvo said:

Bullshit. You're probably talking about the 2 or 3 very vocal annoyances in the MAL Forum, like MajinSaga and stanklem and base your opinion on them just because they're so vocal all the time. But if you WANT to think that every older anime is only liked because of nostalgia, arguments or common sense will not be enough to convince you otherwise.
I don't like pure nostalgiafags as much as the next guy, but people like you are worse. At least they cherrypick and rant without any basis about anime, and not other people.

People who rant about modern day anime all the time are a seperate breed from people who just DONT HATE EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT'S OLD.
Obviously you'll always hear the loud rants of the nostalgiafags and you won't hear the non-complaints of regular fans -> Conclusion: There are no regular fans because you don't hear about them all the time.
Silly.
Apparently the use of the word "seem" and this:

I'm not saying that the classics are bad by any means..

..means nothing to you.

Don't put words in my mouth.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 19, 2014 9:06 AM
Nov 2013
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Korrvo said:

Silly.
Apparently the use of the word "seem" and this:

I'm not saying that the classics are bad by any means..

..means nothing to you.

Don't put words in my mouth.

You again with your old argument "don't put words in my mouth" "you're ignoring what I'm saying" "you don't know how to read". Not this again.
Feb 19, 2014 9:07 AM

Feb 2010
@Korrvo: Just by saying you're not saying what you're saying, you're not actually not saying what you're really saying.

Just sayin'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2014 9:38 AM

Nov 2013
Because people on this forum seem to be overly protective of their own tastes and are very close minded towards other peoples preferences. Calling other peoples tastes 'shit' and telling you the reasons why you watch those animes occur mindlessly on a daily basis. So what if you prefer older anime, it doesn't have to be for simply 'nostalgia'. It's a whole different kettle of fish when you compare modern day animes and some of the works that came out during the 90s. I can't even begin to fathom why people just pin the reasoning for you liking them due to overusage of nostalgia goggles.

They're a different breed of anime, a whole other set of aesthetics. I myself prefer the background artwork for a lot of the older animes because it feels like they have a lot of heart in them, and they're not just part of a formula to create a setting. Nothing to do with nostalgia, just personal preference.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 19, 2014 9:43 AM

Jan 2014
Vexper said:
Because people on this forum seem to be overly protective of their own tastes and are very close minded towards other peoples preferences. Calling other peoples tastes 'shit' and telling you the reasons why you watch those animes occur mindlessly on a daily basis. So what if you prefer older anime, it doesn't have to be for simply 'nostalgia'. It's a whole different kettle of fish when you compare modern day animes and some of the works that came out during the 90s. I can't even begin to fathom why people just pin the reasoning for you liking them due to overusage of nostalgia goggles.

They're a different breed of anime, a whole other set of aesthetics. I myself prefer the background artwork for a lot of the older animes because it feels like they have a lot of heart in them, and they're not just part of a formula to create a setting. Nothing to do with nostalgia, just personal preference.

This is exactly what I was trying to say with my post, but I failed at it. At least YOU got your point across properly. :)
Feb 19, 2014 9:44 AM

Sep 2012
Rashkolnikov said:
You again with your old argument "don't put words in my mouth" "you're ignoring what I'm saying" "you don't know how to read". Not this again.
Who are you?

Yea, I do end up doing that a lot, but that's because a lot of people tend to be really single-minded when they read and only focus on parts they want to focus on.

Though in this case..

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
@Korrvo: Just by saying you're not saying what you're saying, you're not actually not saying what you're really saying.

Just sayin'.
..I probably could have just worded it better. I should have probably also said "some" instead of "most", but I never implied that the only reason the classics were good was because of nostalgia factor.

And yes, I was directing at my post at primarily nostalgiafags like you said. Probably should have made that clear too.

Zzz it's fucking morning shut uuuuup..
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 32 minutes ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
9 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by vampirismsxc »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

114 by vampirismsxc »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

86 by vampirismsxc »»
8 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 23 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.