Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, this was good. And Haruki is so damn precious, by the way.

Overall, a pretty nice portrayal of toxic relationships and particularly speaking, I really liked how the movie didn't have to rely on cheap writing and demonize one of the characters involved as any other mediocre show/movie would do.
Ugetsu was a rather interesting guy and to my surprise, Akihiko was way more lost than I originally thought while watching the anime. He sure played (among other things) with Haruki's feelings but thankfully, in the end he managed to move on and make amends for what he had made Haruki go through.

Animation was weaker than in the TV-Series but I couldn't care less about that aspect and as for the music, Mafuyu's new song was simply fantastic. Besides, I really liked how the song was used as a catalyst for Akihiko and Ugetsu to finally realize they couldn't keep ignoring their issues for much longer. As hurtful as the resolution might be for one of them in the end.

8/10 - Honestly, I would love to see this series getting another continuation but taking into account that almost all the issues in the band were solved, I can only wonder what direction the story will take from this point.
SouthRzVaFeb 8, 2021 10:39 PM
Feb 9, 2021 10:55 AM

Apr 2020
i read the manga after finishing the series, but i watched the movie with the manga up to date, so i already knew the plot twist this time.

HOWEVER i feel it's a good adaptation, the seiyuus works still impeccable and in reading i could get to imagine the new song from the anime OST, but actually listening to it improves the experience. Akihiko hitting rock bottom and ruining it even more, Haruki cutting his hair due his broken heart, their awkward coexistence but improving step by step, ugh feel so related. also, i really like Ugetsu character, so really enjoyed to watch his/their background animated.

another thing very balanced to me is although its kinda the Aki-Haru arc, it also continues to deepen the Ueno-Mayu. and they've a bit of their own development with the whole new song thing. plus Mafuyu with hair clips was sooo cute! ^w^

if i get very demanding, sometimes the animation was a bit messy and the pun with their names and seasons is only specified with fansub (i do not remember very well if in the series it was adapted in the flashback of Haruki) and i'd like even more from Ueno-Mayu ♥______♥

Mod edit: posts must be in English. Removed non-English part
BarnaldFeb 11, 2021 9:35 AM
Feb 10, 2021 5:57 PM
Oct 2015
So beautiful hopeful, despite being so crushingly sad
Feb 11, 2021 9:24 AM

Nov 2016
Ngl, wanted more Uenoyama x Mafuyu but it was still really good
Feb 11, 2021 2:46 PM
Aug 2020
all I can say is that AKIHIKO IS SO DAMN HOT damn that particular scene with Ugetsu 0-0 !! no but fr I liked the music and the soundtrack so much!!

I expected more Mafuyu and Uenoyama content tbh but got instead Akihiko and Haruki which is even better <3

I've never read the manga before, but I can feel that it was so rushed I almost felt like I'm watching an episode not a movie. my expectations were higher but I enjoyed it nevertheless :)
ann_sordoFeb 11, 2021 2:51 PM
Feb 13, 2021 1:08 AM

Feb 2014
Ah the bittersweet feeling of bonds breaking and being remade. They really went allout with no strings attached for Aki x Haruki. Damn Haruki was open like a book. Ugh watching this just before V-day is terrible.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Feb 13, 2021 2:03 AM

Mar 2012
All I can say is that Akihiko is a complete bastard, I hate him. I also don't get why BL needs to starts relationships with a sexual assault. Thought Given was different but it wasn't.
Feb 17, 2021 5:28 AM

Mar 2017
This movie took my emotions for a joyride... that was both beautiful and so so sad. Given is a perfect story of why love is so painful but also so wonderful. Aki and Ugetsu's relationship was absolutely heartbreaking because they loved each other so much but they were just bad for each other.

I'm glad that Aki could find happiness but it's upsetting that Ugetsu is all alone now. I hope we get either more movies or more seasons of Given because I want to see all the characters find happiness and this is just a masterpiece in exploring human relationships and emotion
Mar 1, 2021 7:26 AM
Aug 2020
Apart from the final 8 minutes, the movie didn't really feel rushed to me. I enjoyed it just as much as I did the anime, 8/10.
Mar 2, 2021 1:27 AM

Jan 2013
Maou_heika said:
All I can say is that Akihiko is a complete bastard, I hate him. I also don't get why BL needs to starts relationships with a sexual assault. Thought Given was different but it wasn't.

Because it's simply what men do. Shouldn't you be praising this film for being realistic rather than yet another wish fulfillment fantasy?
Mar 2, 2021 5:56 AM

Mar 2012
chi4ko said:
Maou_heika said:

Because it's simply what men do. Shouldn't you be praising this film for being realistic rather than yet another wish fulfillment fantasy?
You want to say that men start relationships by sexually assaulting their love interest!? In which world are you living in. I cannot praise shitty relationships.
Mar 2, 2021 9:35 AM
Nov 2013
How did their relationship start this moment? Haruki was into Akihiko for at least a year. Yes, he forgave him and let him stay but it doesn't mean they were a couple. Haruki decided to give Aki a chance after months (the last scene, after ending) because he saw his change.

Movie could use a little extra length to show things better, I agree.

By the way, wasn't Akihiko also dating Ue's sister? I wonder how he'd react if he found out that his friend was cheating on his sister with ex bf and pretty much everyone else who was offering a room for sex.

Oh and is it me or was Mafuyu's hair way more red than in the series?
HyushoMar 2, 2021 10:59 AM
Mar 4, 2021 8:20 AM
Dec 2020
chi4ko said:
Maou_heika said:

If that's how you view real-life relationships between two men, please never interact with real-life men who love other men. Men being respectful is NOT a fantasy. That is the BARE MINIMUM. Are there men who are r*pists? Yes unfortunately that is the world we live in. BUT does that mean that anime has to reflect that? NO. These are drawings. These are made up 2D characters. They can make them do whatever they want and they choose to have a r*pe scene? We are allowed to be angry.
Mar 12, 2021 9:29 PM

Jan 2013
Love it! Ugetsu and Akihiko's relationship was very interesting. I'm happy he and hiruki got together at the end! 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2021 12:40 AM

Jun 2013
Great movie! It got me emotional tbh. I have inexplicable feelings regarding how Given portrays love and how beautiful it is still, despite the pain. Another good song by Centimilimental to listen to for feels.
Mar 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Mar 2016
Wow. I finally watched this movie. And all I have to say is "wow". It told a story. And it told it well. I really liked it. The relationship gave me a very confusing vibe but I think it was supposed to be like that since the characters themselves were confused and fuzzy. I liked it.
Apr 5, 2021 1:49 PM

Oct 2016
Akihiko recklessly screwing anything with a pulse for 60 minutes? I'll allow it.
Apr 11, 2021 12:26 PM

Feb 2012
Not as good as the series, mainly because Akihiko x Haruki couple is less interesting, a more typical shounen-ai couple. Including the sexual assault scene, which isn't something I want to see. The relationship drama between Ugetsu and Akihiko was more interesting, but that had surprisingly little screen time, it was mostly happening when they weren't sharing a scene.

The song they played was okay, the drum part especially was good, interesting tempo and pattern changes, plus fills, constantly something different going on. Obviously with all that playing, I doubt a drummer would have time to reflect on his relationship with music :D.
Apr 22, 2021 8:49 AM

Aug 2017
I think the movie should be 2 hours instead of 59 minutes. The pacing is over the place after 30 minutes and the animation isn't the best here. Also, I could never understand exactly why Ugetsu was so angry at Akihiko lol.

Meh, 6/10 for the movie
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 10, 2021 10:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty good movie, imo.

Certainly felt a little fast towards the end there but the buildup leading up to it was fairly solid.

Final confession surprised me a little even though I was expecting something of the sort, lol. Didn’t think we’d get to see such a flustered Akihito.

Akihito’s assault, like many here, did came off as a little brash and cliched though. But, aside from that, I really enjoyed the psychology and drama.

7/10 from me.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 25, 2021 1:39 AM
Mar 2018
The music was great, but I felt the plot was very barebone and a lot was taken away from the manga. Compared to season 1, it felt very empty, and despite the emotional scenes, it wasn't as strong as most of the moments in season 1.

An acceptable movie, but hope this doesn't become a pattern for the adaptation. 8/10

calioniMay 25, 2021 2:16 AM
Aug 25, 2021 2:12 PM

May 2015
Not as good as the series and felt pretty rushed like they cut out a lot but still enjoyed it. Can't wait for series 2 if they're gonna make it!
Aug 30, 2021 1:59 AM

May 2019
I think I expected more but hey it was only an hour and not the series.

I love Haruki and he deserves the world.

The Ugetsu and Akihiko dynamic was both heartbreaking and confusing, but it's like that in real love and relationships. I felt like it needed a bit more explaining or perhaps I'm missing something.

I suppose I wanted more to the story, more music and a bit more depth to it all.

Either way, it was still great. Heart-wrenching at times and beautiful at others.
Nov 18, 2021 4:40 PM
Dec 2017
i found it to be a nice movie overall.

Nov 30, 2021 1:07 PM

Mar 2021
It was an amazing movie, so realistic like I literally cried while watching Ugetsu crying.. I feel so bad for him. If you haven't had a relationship like him and Akihiko did in real life, it's normal to hate him or not understand him. But I was in a very similar relationship to this for about 3 years (ages between 17-20) so I relate to Ugetsu so much, after watching this movie I actually add him to my favorite characters :D

And I seriously don't understand some of the reactions and comments. Like It's a big deal for them to have Ugetsu stand on top of Akihiko and say "No", but it's perfectly normal for Akihiko to grab Ugetsu's arm and pull, throw him to the ground and kiss him forcefully... Like what is wrong with you people..
This is Nanba Prison. No one has ever escaped successfully from this prison. -Nanbaka

Feb 24, 2022 10:25 PM

Apr 2020
I’m watching this movie after catching up to the manga and watching season 1. Akihiko definitely had some issues he needed to work on & the relationship he had with his ex was toxic. I’m just glad everything is working out so far for the band and the couples. I hope they make a season 2 soon.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Feb 11, 2023 6:22 PM

Mar 2017
Really disappointed about the sexual assault scene :( I liked given so much because it doesn’t have the common sexual assault trope
Feb 19, 2023 10:12 AM

Dec 2022
Beautiful sakura trees by night
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The apartment scene

CrimsonKing25 - Feb 3, 2021

23 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2023 12:11 PM

» Sequel just got announced

nushrathumaira - Mar 22, 2023

9 by Noornib04 »»
Mar 23, 2023 9:22 AM

» what are your thoughts on...

Steph - Oct 8, 2022

10 by bossunhimeswitch »»
Oct 8, 2022 1:44 PM

» Should I watch the anime or just read the manga

Yay267 - Feb 7, 2021

11 by Kiixiah »»
May 25, 2022 9:01 PM

» Akihiko or Ugetsu?

Crownmechaotic - Mar 31, 2021

4 by Surana »»
Mar 5, 2022 1:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.