Forum Settings
Forums

Does adding 'romance' to an anime strengthen the storyline?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 1, 2016 5:03 PM

Sep 2014
Depends.

I feel that poorly executed romance can instead dilute / retract from the plot if it's attempted to be made a main theme of the anime when it's clearly not. There are some cases where I feel the romance is forced, or doesn't fit in and is just included for the sake of it, and I feel cheated. (For me, the main offenders are SAO and GC) This could probably be rectified by focussing more on the development of the romance though. Some i don't even understand what the romance tags are doing in the anime (Onii-sama the anime for example)

In some cases though, I find it a nice addition as a sort of side-quest kind of thing. (i.e Hyouka)
Jun 1, 2016 5:06 PM
Jul 2015
it actualy depends, if the story needs something a good romance can help but if the story doesn´t needs anything more even if you add romance it may not help at all
Jun 1, 2016 5:38 PM

May 2016
Sometimes. It ruined SAO for me and that is why I stopped watching it.
Jun 1, 2016 5:48 PM

Jul 2014
For me it does, I really like when a show has a real romance plot (not those half-assed ones). It really can add to a character and show another side of them and even help them develop throughout the show. Plus its great for breaking up action scenes but still be captivating and entertaining sometime more than the actually action itself.

A lot of show would benfit from having romance/ better romance plots
Jun 1, 2016 6:10 PM

Feb 2016
I only started getting into anime as of this year, but from what I've watched I would say that it does improve the overall experience, because it not only adds emotional weight to the storyline, but it can be used to drive the plot and the characters forward in interesting ways. I also think that characters in romantic relationships, or even when characters simply appear to like other characters, seem more human and relatable to the audience because often times we get to see them reach their emotional breaking point and their inner thoughts and feelings are vividly displayed. So yes, romance can strengthen the storyline, however it would need to be done well and work within the context of the anime.
Jun 1, 2016 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
Though romance in anime is great. I believe all my favorite anime have at least some romance in it. But romance to me is not what makes a series the beeline of great anime series.

I'm not seeing much romance in Gintama, and it's considered one of my top favorites right now. Moral of the story, an anime does not need to have romance in it to make that specific series realistic and tangible.
Jun 1, 2016 6:17 PM

Feb 2016
It depends on the author and how well he/she will execute it but im a fan of romance but not all romance in anime is good they are sometimes rushed. Which is disappointing sometimes romance has a lot of impact in a story some are not so in the end it depends on how well it will be executed

Jun 1, 2016 6:42 PM

Jul 2015
HecticLeo said:
I think it's human nature to find romance enjoyable so it's easy to use it as a device to strengthen the plot or furthur engage the viewer. Who doesn't want to be loved? Who doesn't want to feel connected in this world, not alone but have that special someone to bond with? Everyone wants to be loved doesn't matter who you are. Love has no boundaries as they say, other than legal ones... Romances tug at your emotions and getting the viewer emotionally invested is a key to success. With that being said, there is a time and place for everything so it can definitely go both ways.

Exactly the answer i was going to give.
Jun 1, 2016 8:11 PM

Sep 2015
ChucriBZ said:
HecticLeo said:
I think it's human nature to find romance enjoyable so it's easy to use it as a device to strengthen the plot or furthur engage the viewer. Who doesn't want to be loved? Who doesn't want to feel connected in this world, not alone but have that special someone to bond with? Everyone wants to be loved doesn't matter who you are. Love has no boundaries as they say, other than legal ones... Romances tug at your emotions and getting the viewer emotionally invested is a key to success. With that being said, there is a time and place for everything so it can definitely go both ways.

I like you. The world needs more people like you.
Jun 1, 2016 8:14 PM
May 2015
I do believe so since romance aspect greatly affect people perspectives when its come to love.
Jun 1, 2016 8:47 PM

May 2015
Does depend on the length, can't be adding romance to 25 episode action shows at the last three episodes, otherwise the development is not really there.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 1, 2016 9:13 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
My answers to questions like these will always be: As long as it's done right, then yes.

I know it also depends on the show itself and other factors but if the romance is just thrown in there for no reason and it doesn't fit along with everything else, then no.
Jun 1, 2016 9:34 PM

Nov 2015
If it is done right, the romance sub plot or plot can add a lot more emotion and feelings to a show. I personally like where there is some in non-specific romance shows. Like it's a part of the show just not defining it.
Jun 2, 2016 12:18 AM

Jan 2008
It depends on how it is done, and it's really tricky to pull off.

First the story has to make you care for the characters individually which is no small task by itself.

Second, it needs to show them have chemistry on screen together. And this does not mean blushing whenever they see each other or something like that. It means having meaningful interactions and growing closer together by having common goals and struggles.

The best romance I've seen is in Steins;Gate, even though it is not really a romance show. Most other times it feels really forced to me.
Jun 2, 2016 11:03 AM

Jul 2015
HecticLeo said:
ChucriBZ said:

I like you. The world needs more people like you.

Staph it you kind person, you're making me blush
BenduckyJun 2, 2016 8:50 PM
Jun 2, 2016 11:38 AM

Apr 2011
> Are you a fan of romance? Do you mind it at all?
I am not a fan of romance at all. I seriously wish that more series are done without any romantic subplot whatsoever. It's possible, Shirobako did it two years ago. So why not more?

> Does adding romance create a better storyline or does it worsen the storyline?
No, it does not automatically make the storyline better. There is a time and a place for everything, but for some reason, too many people think that concept does not apply for romance.

> Would you rather that most series NOT have any romance, whatsoever?
As I said earlier, I wish more series would go without romance whatsoever. At least give it a try. But alas, such a wish is too hopeful.

> Does adding romance make the anime stray away what's important (if romance is not the main focus)?
It's possible. That remains true for any genre/narrative, though it's truer to romance due to how much it is used.

> Does adding romance to an anime have an enormous impact, or none at all
Adding romance doesn't make any noteful impact, as it is one of the most or rather, the single-most overused genre in the history of any sort of fiction.
Jun 2, 2016 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
I guess that sometimes yes, and some other times not. Though it depends how i feel about the anime
Jun 2, 2016 1:50 PM

Jan 2015
Personally it's a 75%-25%. Most series an added romance feels a bit too forced or unnecessary. If you story can work without romance-don't include one.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Jun 2, 2016 3:43 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
"Adding romance" sound a bit too artificial to me. Romance should feel like it's happening naturally. A reason harems don't appeal to me.

Striktlyy said:
> Are you a fan of romance? Do you mind it at all?
> Does adding romance create a better storyline or does it worsen the storyline?
> Would you rather that most series NOT have any romance, whatsoever?
> Does adding romance make the anime stray away what's important (if romance is not the main focus)?
> Does adding romance to an anime have an enormous impact, or none at all?

> Yes, I'm a fan of romance.
> Like I said, I'd rather that it wasn't just "added".
> NO.
> No, though "what's important" is very vague term.
> Depends.
Jun 2, 2016 3:51 PM

Jul 2015
GaryMuffuginOak said:
It depends on execution I guess. Like in FMAB the romance between Winry and Ed didn't feel needed and wasn't really that well developed because the story had already a lot of other things going for it. [Frankly I didn't care about Winry as she was a side character. If she was a main she would've gotten more screen time and things would've been different].

here here! I too thought it was completely unnecessary
Jun 3, 2016 3:06 AM

Jul 2013
Enishi- said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:
It depends on execution I guess. Like in FMAB the romance between Winry and Ed didn't feel needed and wasn't really that well developed because the story had already a lot of other things going for it. [Frankly I didn't care about Winry as she was a side character. If she was a main she would've gotten more screen time and things would've been different].

Well if she was a main character then yes romance is needed. However, the story is more of action.

For example I think Fate/ Stay night Unlimited blade works tv series done a nice romance between Rin x Emiya
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2016 3:25 AM
Jun 2015
It depends on the story sometimes it hurts the story, sometimes it helps like Chivalry of a Failed Knight when Stella cheered for Ikki during his tournament fight and the end of the first season pushed the story for the better because of it. It's honestly depends on the chemistry between the two characters.
Jun 3, 2016 3:53 AM
Nov 2015
For me, most of romance in anime ruins the storylines.
Meliodas x Elizabeth (nantsu no taizai) made me half hate the manga
and the romance in Fairy Tail is just something to hide the reality of how bad its story is !

I like Arlet x Flemy from Rokka no Yuusha. Their relationship is always tense and the truth behind it is revealed in the LN. I'm sad it'll never get an adaptation :(

[quote=Renaultclio101 message=46305861]
Enishi- said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:

Well if she was a main character then yes romance is needed. However, the story is more of action.

Fate series is an epicness, everything they do is well done !

And for the MC needing romance: I don't think it's needed. One Piece is the best example.
Nanatsu no Taizai is ruined by Meliodas x Elizabth (Main hero x Main heroine) but Ban x Elain (Hero's right hand x secondary charcter) is so good written, and thanks to it, NNT sold so much.

The main point is: Romance isn't needed if a useless character is a part of it !
xEzioAuditoreJun 3, 2016 3:59 AM
Jun 3, 2016 4:15 AM

Dec 2015
Although Romance is one of my favorite Anime Genre but Still I think adding some Romance can make any anime more interesting even if it is not a romantic genre anime.
Jun 3, 2016 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
Added romance isn't my cup of tea. If romance isn't the main genre or a secondary genre to a SoL series, I feel like there won't be enough time to introduce the romance subplot in a way that isn't clichéd and unrelatable. To me good romantic stories take their time, build on a series of mundane things slowly becoming laced with affection. It's difficult to find believable lulls for that while fighting demons or training every day in a sports club.

Personally I'd love to see more series with familiar bonds like in Uchouten Kazoku rather than romance, since romantic anime rarely try to do anything new with the relationship, and I almost always end up thinking "why are you even together/why do you like that person?" with anime couples/crushes.
Jun 3, 2016 5:14 AM
Apr 2013
Well I answered "I don't care" because I can't really make up my mind. I don't think the presence or absence of romance has any automatic impact on the quality of an anime. Cheesy clichéd romance like you have in a lot of long-running slice-of-life shows (and others like Detective Conan and so on) tends to be slightly annoying but doesn't ruin the series in most cases.
Jun 3, 2016 8:20 AM

May 2009
I like romance anime but there is no point in adding romance to anime depending on the genre if all that is going to happen is romance being hinted or some blushing here and there then no, it's not needed in say action anime that is mostly centered around fighting or something.
Jun 3, 2016 8:35 AM

Aug 2012
Not really. Unless, those feelings were already hinted on or established from the beginning of the show and later blossomed, then yes - it would make it more exciting. But, if you just decide to randomly make two people fall in love, all of a sudden, with no build up whatsoever... THEN it would turn me off from the entire show.
Jun 3, 2016 11:00 AM
Mar 2015
Personally I always enjoy a show more if it has romance.
Jun 3, 2016 11:09 AM

Aug 2015
If it's an action/supernatural or mystery anime, then romance kills the cat.

But if it's a SoL type show, then romance is a must
Jun 3, 2016 1:42 PM

Apr 2014
I'm sure it varies. Some shows might benefit from romance when others would not. Of course, if the romance is just poorly written, then the whole debate becomes moot.
I admit, I think I've become more open to romantic plot elements in general since I started watching anime. :-)

GaryMuffuginOak said:

This comment interests me, because I actually think Ed & Winry's relationship in Brotherhood (by way of the original manga) is a positive example of romance in a non-romance story. Ed & Winry's relationship never dominates the show, but it develops gradually and naturally; and it serves to flesh out both characters a bit more as well as raise the stakes for them both. When their relationship does take center stage, it serves as a heartwarming send-off for both characters, and a satisfying conclusion to the story overall.

While reading through the thread, it also occurred to me that Cowboy Bebop, of all shows, might be a strong example of romantic elements in a non-romantic show. Spike, Jet and Faye all have past loved ones who helped define who they've since become; and in Spike's case, that relationship might be his most defining characteristic of all.

I noticed the Facebook link featured an image from Myriad Colors Phantom World - which is probably a good example of a show that could - but wouldn't necessarily - benefit from romance. Honestly, Phantom World was weak in the characterization department in general; but although Reina and Mai were implied to have feelings towards Haruhiko, in Reina's case it was only barely implied, and in Mai's case the relationship could have been platonic as much as it could have been romantic, if not more so - which I think would have been fine. Generally speaking, I want romantic relationships in stories to feel earned - which usually means taking time to let it develop. If the romance is rushed, it feels disingenuous and forced.
Speaking of Facebook, I'm amused by the contrast in responses between here and there. The majority of FB responses seem to be strongly opposed to the concept altogether.
Jun 3, 2016 6:48 PM

Jul 2013
It all depends on what type of anime it is, if it is supposed to be realistic then sure it's nice to have chacters that feel a romantic attraction to each other and that again shows some growth in character. If however it is forced into the story line and it gives zero meaning as to why it is there, then no I do not appreciate it when romance is added to the plot.
Jun 3, 2016 7:13 PM

May 2016
Z-Dante said:
But if it's a SoL type show, then romance is a must

Except that most of the best slice-of-life anime (Azumanga Daioh, Haibane Renmei, Usagi Drop, WataMote, Kino's Journey, Astro Fighter Sunred) don't have romance in them, or have very minor romance elements (Fruits Basket, Planetes).

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 4, 2016 3:58 AM

Aug 2015
depends on which type of romance.

if it's too cringey.. it ruins it.
My hot seat: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582823
watch me be a huge noob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vav-Cb1biI

megaminx+pyraminx :)
Jun 4, 2016 6:47 AM

Feb 2013
I would say it affects character development more than it does the storyline. If the story isn't mainly about the romance, merely adding it doesn't necessarily distract from the main story if done correctly. It can be used just to strengthen the relationships between the characters and add some depth to them and their thoughts and actions. Especially if there was some kind of rivalry or a love triangle going on besides the main plot.

I always like some romance even when it's not part of the main story, but then again only when it's subtle and doesn't take away too much from the main plot but merely serve as a catalyst for character development.

Just to mention some quick examples for non-romantic anime doing romance right: FMAB & Steins;Gate.

Like Gurren_Rodan said before me, the romance between Ed and Winry in FMAB never felt forced but it was so slow, nautral, and never drove attention too far away from the main story, and at the end "When their relationship does take center stage, it serves as a heartwarming send-off for both characters, and a satisfying conclusion to the story overall." (Well written, couldn't have expressed that better myself).

As for Steins;Gate... This one does actually focus a lot more on the romance than FMAB but it still managed to work side by side with the main story. My memory is kinda fuzzy since I haven't watched that show in over 4 years, but I still remember how it made me feel. The seemingly nonexistent romance to suddenly become the main focus of the story was a bit strange, but they pulled it off, and very successfully at that.
PsyChOoJun 4, 2016 7:01 AM
Jun 4, 2016 7:37 AM
Apr 2008
If its an action anime then just a little (stressing on little) is enough. More than that will just ruin the anime and makes it crappy. As for other genres as long as it fits the situation.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» This is a serious question. So answer seriously...

LenRea - 3 minutes ago

0 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - 5 hours ago

22 by PostMahouShoujo »»
3 minutes ago

» Is flowing hair animation just poor man's gainaxing?

Catalano - 6 hours ago

8 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

70 by Akuya »»
5 minutes ago

» the race to WcDonald's ep 1 and the rest not added?

Berry-Vodka - Yesterday

7 by animegamer245 »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.