Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 18, 2016 2:54 PM
Aug 2016
t-baby said:
I loved the movie... it didn't have as much alchemy as some episodes in the series which was expected since the ''other world'' was included as a major part of it. The movie was created simply to end the series properly and set the stage for the second season. Taking that into consideration, I think the movie is not bad at all.
The graphics and art work are still as good to me if not better so thats another plus (we all know how irritating it is when art work changes between series and movie and some characters become hard to reognise).

It has gotten me more wrapped up in what happens next. The thought of how alchemy will come back into play and who will bring it back definitly excites me. Also, there are a few missing characters which I am sure will be brought back in the second season (dante and the life sewing alchemist). The raging war, how Alphonso and Edward are going to get involved in it, and the work their father had being doing in ''the other world'' is definitly going to play a major part in the second season. What happens to winry (she seems to have some affection for Ed), the conel (flame alchemist) and all the others(including the new characters) is also bound to be interesting.

Having said all this I am seriously looking forward to the next season which if I might say is already in production.
i also love the movie and the theme song and I think it was good that I finally got to see Alphonse back in his body;)
Sep 18, 2016 2:55 PM
Aug 2016
I absolutely love the movie so much, it is one of my most favorite Shounen movies of all time and it's actually my first Shounen movie;)
Sep 18, 2016 2:56 PM
Aug 2016
I absolutely love the movie so much, it is one of my most favorite Shounen movies of all time and it's actually my first Shounen movie;)
Nov 19, 2016 3:46 AM

Feb 2016
Movies was quite engaging in my opinion. I mean, the movie added different elements to the story, namely an exploration of the seething sentiment of the Weimar Republic after a humiliating costly defeat in the great war. They held no punches in showing a clear antisemetic nationalistic views. If only, just once, they would do an accurate portrayal of Imperial Japanese views (inferior asians), I could die a happy man. Just once, one middle finger to the historical revisionists, give history a win here in the land of the setting sun!

But to put it bluntly, the anime industry is a coward, they are also too 'polite' to dare offend their customer base. Even if the customer base can be considered the west's version of irrational holocaust deniers (reads only nazi material as reference).

The ending was nothing more than a reiteration of the first ending, bar a different setting, terrible ending.

Need I forget to remind you folks of the tediously boring filler episodes that add little character development in the first installment? Or the irritating shifts between serious scenes and stupid chibi faces that made some of you want to punch them.

I also disliked the villain. I would of preferred that she came to a horrifying conclusion when she was studying alchemy, the same conclusion that Hohenheim came to. The fact that the death and suffering of her world fuelled the alchemy of that world.

Overcome by disgust and fear, she then would try to destroy this beastly realm. I think it would of added more depth to the plot and softened her cartoonish villainy.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 7, 2016 2:30 AM

Aug 2013
Weak villain, plot armor (literally) they dodge bullets lol, but overall 7/10

... or so I thought

My reactions watching the end:

> Lulzwhat? He's coming back to our hell world? WTF!? who would want that?

>Al is coming too? Well that's better, I guess... now let's see Winry's reaction when studying our technology (^^) Can't wait...

>Ok Winry stop hiding inside the plane... I'm getting mad

>Haha the director can't fool me, she will be in the credits traveling with them... right? ... right?

Enjoyment: -100

Time to recalculate the score:
7/10 - 100= ... since we can't go negative let's just give it a 1/10.
SousukeARX7Dec 7, 2016 2:35 AM
Dec 9, 2016 11:45 PM

May 2015
An enjoyable movie overall, but I didn't have that same feeling compared to when I was watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist. Not to mention, I liked the ending to the original Fullmetal Alchemist far more than the ending to this movie.

I felt that if this movie were to be a 2nd season instead with more episodes, it would've been better, but things were just going by too fast and things were getting resolved too quickly. Don't even get me started on the villain, oh man........

Overall though, 7/10. Good movie, but I was not completely satisfied. The endings of FMA 03 and FMAB did it better.
Feb 13, 2017 5:32 AM

Oct 2014
This is what episode 52 should've been. This movie ended the series much better than episode 51 that's why I think it is so good. Although the CG soldiers were really crap hehe
Apr 25, 2017 12:15 AM
Mar 2017
compared to the series it has a better ending but the ending is still idiotic all the same. Edward finally got back to his world and decides to just go back to world he was dropped in from the series. fuck no! I hated the series aside from brotherhood and I hate this movie. all it does is get the hopes of the fans up for ed returning home and a 180 on us and fucks what could have been a god ending to a series that was horrible. which would have been fine if not for the already ending it has. 0/10
May 18, 2017 2:19 AM

Dec 2008
Coloring was better than the show. Well it was good to finally see the end of the original anime show. Truly I foersaw the parallels with FMA and old germany, it was quite obvious to anyone tbh. But this really gave context and clarity to the connections. Sad ending, but oh well, I finished FMA brotherhood too recently. Thus endeth this franchise. ^~^ 6/10
Jun 2, 2017 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
I actually quite liked this film, animation was 10 times better.
There wasn't really a big sense of danger regarding the villains but that didn't distract from me enjoying it.

8/10
Jul 20, 2017 7:05 AM

Feb 2015
Great movie, but the ending kinda blew. Why did Ed go to Earth?
Aug 15, 2017 5:02 PM
Nov 2009
Load of bollocks with bad CGI.
Aug 26, 2017 5:41 AM

Jul 2013
This movie and the 2003 series is everything that I wish Brotherhood had been.

Poor Winry though
Oct 24, 2017 1:23 PM

Nov 2016
This was better than I expected. 7/10. Had a nice conclusion that the 2003 series lacked.
Nov 17, 2017 8:34 AM

Jul 2016
This is not the ending FMA deserved, it's decent but not quite good enough. At least it wasn't a forced sad ending like I thought it would be. Plot is meh.

The movie was entertaining though, ah, it was fine, music and animation are pretty good and I like what they did with AU!Hughes (can't say the same with some characters though). The ending is still bittersweet considering they're going to live in Nazi Germany, but whatever.

6/10
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 6, 2018 6:41 PM

Jan 2018
The movie was alright. I just wanted ed and al to be together again :3
Feb 12, 2019 9:11 AM

Jan 2018
This movie was pretty much screwed from the start.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but this movie was originally planned to be made in a 12 episode second season, but they scrapped that and made a much, much larger original script for a movie compared to what we got here, I've seen some parts of the original script and it was so so much better. So many more things were added and explained.

Then, of course, they fucking scrapped the much larger script and turned into what we got here. They screwed the director over so fucking much here. Production values were trash. It's honestly sad and pretty amazing that they were able to make this movie decent.

I gave this movie an 8, but it doesn't compare to the OG ending. This movie had so much potential and it's sad that people screwed this show over
Apr 11, 2019 7:02 PM

Dec 2015
Trying to stuff a lot of idea in a short time lead to a disastrous plot this was really clumsy half baked and bad
Jun 18, 2019 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
Fma 2003 is studio fiction so the storyline of this movie is like a fan fiction taking over a studio fiction. It ain't crap though, but this movie is unlikable for me. Animation are more decent, nonetheless. That aspect deserves some credit it should gain.
Aug 17, 2019 7:27 PM

Jan 2018
hey, could someone tell me how did ed end up in this world? I dont feel like rewatching the whole fma just to remember.
Dec 20, 2019 11:02 AM

Nov 2019
Kotori said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fucking retarded ending, even more so than the series'

1/10

Jan 10, 2020 10:12 PM

Mar 2014
Nice, all the small details that left episode 51 is addressed here (dragon Envy, Gluttony + Wrath, Al's journey etc etc)! Very satisfactory movie even with the disposable villain and her CGI armors (but at least she filled her role well).
Apr 12, 2020 12:19 PM

May 2016
What a lame ending... pretty meh except for the action it packed. 6/10
Apr 25, 2020 10:03 AM
Apr 2020
I am crying so hard! Why! Why can they never go back! Why! Grrr. ALL OF THIS IS ENVY'S FAULT! NONE OF THIS WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED IF IT WERENT FOR ENVY! I know they're together again but they will never see Winry or anyone they knew ever again! And why did the gate have to be closed on both sides? If it was closed on one side, wouldnt that make anyone who tried to pass through the portal get stuck in the gate and get ripped apart by those weird babies? Also, the Glutonny scene was extremely stupid and alternate Hughes sucked. After his death I just wanted to see him with his daughter again! Not as a Nazi! Oh well, this fanfiction of an ending should be fairly easy to block out. It was so far fetched I almost think I could forget it!
May 30, 2020 3:52 PM
Mar 2014
Ending was fine, but the plot just went so fast. Evil woman reasons were too stupid, destroying world because you think other "humans" are monsters, that does justify anything? She didn't even see those humans so much to know them well.

Characters reborn in other world was nice, there were however so many things annoying, unfortunately that's why this gets 2/5 vote here and 6/10 in my list.

Gluttony turn dark and now his final form...

`just as last episodes of FMA, here also plot went so fast and it is really not nice.
Jul 25, 2020 5:30 AM
May 2019
Didn't care all that much for this movie. Felt it lost the charm that the original series had or just the series in general. Edward just didn't feel like Edward, and the lack of chibi moments is sufficed to say, dispiriting. Pretty average movie overall.
Sep 4, 2020 6:15 AM

Aug 2010
Is this movie based on the manga?
Feb 8, 2021 3:46 AM

Mar 2015
Wow, on a recent rewatch, this movie is even worse than I used to think somehow. None of this makes sense. I honestly prefer to think of 2003 without acknowledging this exists; it's fine on its own.
Mar 25, 2021 12:27 AM

Aug 2014
What a well-planned movie. Outstanding job to conclude the original FMA. I Loved the historical aspect of the other side, just after WW1 and getting ready for WW2.

So glad its a happy ending. Although I wish they would have taken Winry with them to the other side in the end  :)
oooo3333Apr 2, 2023 8:54 PM
Apr 19, 2021 11:42 PM
Dec 2020
The start was good. I was hooked. Nazi characters did a good job to boil my blood. But the ending was stupid and they didn't tell what happened to Mustang. I'll pretend that this movie was not the ending, but the anime series was. >_<
Really disappointing ending.

edit: I just realised that this is my 69th forum post. XD
Jun 2, 2021 3:45 PM
Jan 2011
Was expecting better...

Noah is a completely unnecessary character, just there to fill up the time. How funny, she ended up betraying and using him like Ed was warned....so stupid, but hey, she didn't mean to, she just wanted to cross over that word even if that word would be covered in war because of the people she helped.

I don't remember the last time I saw an Anime where the villain is so bad (not evil, just horrible character design) that I just keep wishing for that character to die already. And it was so pathetic till the end... BTW, what kind of F logic was that? Let go and collect their superior military power by force, using our weaker army.

And the one I feel sorry for is definitely Winry. If only she had the opportunity, if only freaking Ed made a quick detour to pick her up, I'm sure she would have loved to go with him anywhere over the regret of being abandoned over some "duty" Ed had a rush moment over. I don't see her doing anything but wasting her life away in the grief of being powerless

And wtf did the brother do?? I understand AL escaped to that word as he couldn't bear the guilt, I mean, he's 13 years old? and because of him, many died, so of course, he escaped and ensure to stay with his brother as a mean to stay sane. But, my main point, WTF didn't they just send one of AL's souls puppet. Even if just to tell them all to destroy the gate. Ah yes, because regardless of what, the Uranium bomb is still in that world....f sake....
Nov 9, 2021 6:42 PM

Dec 2019
Let's imagine this movie never existed. This movie was an insult to Arakawa-sensei.
Dec 22, 2021 5:13 PM

May 2021
Even generic villains are more fleshed out than that woman.
FMA 2003 never required this fanfic of an ending. 1/10(being generous)
RioFSFeb 14, 2022 8:16 AM

Mar 18, 2022 10:17 AM

Feb 2016
it took me some years to watch this one since I thought the 03 TV series ended where it should. as it is, it turned out to be worse than i thought. quite the achievement

i read on a letterboxd review that they didn't want to make a continuation and were pressed to do so on the unsuitable film format, which would make a lot of sense to explain how this came to be
Jun 4, 2022 7:30 PM

Jul 2020
Ending was stupid— but I quite liked the movie since I’m a history buff and it concluded the 2003 anime’s mind breaking and surreal conclusion. Also it introduced me to L’arc en Ciel.
Oct 28, 2022 5:43 AM

May 2018
And so Germany enjoyed peace for another 10 years...

Poor Winry was left behind yet again. Hoenheim was useless even with his 400+ years of experience. Ed and Al are together but in the other world now. Hughes and Pride was pretty funny though ngl.

6/10
Dec 9, 2022 12:45 PM
Dec 2019
Compared to the actual series, I think the writers did an amazing job with this Movie. Don't get me wrong, Brotherhood is leagues above in almost all aspects if compared with the Classic Fullmetal Alchemist Anime, but I think the vision that the writers had for this movie was awesome. Only problem is that the old anime is necessary to understand most things that happen on this movie and the pacing of Classic Fullmetal Alchemist is horrible. It's a really good premise, but written in a bad way. Good thing that the pacing of this movie is good and the animation is top tier. Only problem for me is the end. 8/10
May 15, 2023 2:22 PM
Mar 2023
Seeing alternative versions of Rosa, Scar and Lust was kinda nice but otherwise the movie is quite underwhelming to me. This short adventure about destroying some generic villainess doesn’t really contribute to the FMA story. Could definitely be better if more thought-through and not crammed into 1.5 hour length.

6/10
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» I just realised something really dark about this movie. (Spoilers)

Yoshistar123 - Jan 11, 2021

11 by APolygons2 »»
Mar 21, 7:26 AM

» Fullmetal Alchemist Movie to Premiere on Toonami December 2013

YourAnimeGuy - Nov 15, 2013

5 by Mystogan14579 »»
May 19, 2021 6:25 PM

» FMA Movie: The Conqueror of Shambala

StabbyPWNS - Jun 23, 2008

20 by Tannerlaramore »»
Jan 6, 2018 4:49 AM

» Alchemy is possible in the other side of the gate, aka Earth.

SwiftKilla - Feb 11, 2014

0 by SwiftKilla »»
Feb 11, 2014 3:37 AM

» Fullmetal Alchemist Movie to Premiere on Toonami December 2013

YourAnimeGuy - Nov 15, 2013

0 by YourAnimeGuy »»
Nov 15, 2013 8:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.