Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Section/Discussion for MAL Forums

New
Jul 9, 2011 2:19 AM

Sep 2008
To start off, this is not a suggestion for a simple Japanese-only thread. I would like to suggest creating a section in the MAL forums for a more direct area promoting cultural diffusion between the native Japanese and the English-typing users.

The native Japanese are certainly interested in learning about how foreigners respond to certain animes, in addition to practicing their English communication skills. However, most would find themselves without the confidence to start replying in the midst of native-level English replies. There is no Japanese site that has the recording functions of MAL (that I know of), so I would suppose there are many more native Japanese users than the impression most people would have.

This would also be a great opportunity for the English-typing users. There can be different threads for different levels of Japanese, where bilinguals and natives can continuously aid the diligent and willing. They can also easily get translations that are far more accurate than Google Translation or other automated translators.

There seem to be successful examples of a Japanese section on other forums. I don't see why it wouldn't be successful here.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to post in this thread.

日本人達へ。
このサイトを利用している大半の日本人ユーザー達は恐らく「英語でスレに参加したい」「英語をもっと上手く使いこなしたい」と思っている事だろう。そんなユーザー達の為に個人個人に合ったレベルのスレや英語に関する質問に答えてくれるスレなどがあれば向上心が増すのではないだろうか?バイリンガル習得に成功した人達を膨大なユーザー数から容易に見つけることができ、アニメの話で盛り上がりながらも効率よく英語を習得していける。そんな実践の場があったら良いなと思う人は日本語でも構わないのでここにレスしていただきたい。皆で英語力を高めよう!

追記:初コメントなのにも関わらず、プロフィールコメント欄で不躾な新聞勧誘じみた頼み事をしてしまい誠に申し訳有りませんでした。どうかお許しください。

I'll be going around to Japanese users I find, to see if they think this would be helpful to them.

Opposition:
-MAL is fundamentally English-based.
-Just clubs are fine.
-Japanese shouldn't be treated differently from other languages and nationalities.
-It's difficult to tell how many capable and active bilinguals and natives there are to make this section meaningful.

Benefits:
+Promotion of bilingualism.
+A conformation of all active and willing users/club members associated with learning Japanese/English, translating Japanese/English, aiding such studies, and bilingualism.
ap19Jul 9, 2011 5:20 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。
Jul 9, 2011 2:38 AM

Nov 2007
Even though my level of English is good enough to communicate, I want to improve my Japanese by communicating and helping out with Japanese native people (that's why I have that club exclusively for Japanese natives to try out). It would be a nice idea because for those who wants to improve Japanese to enjoy talking about anime and improve Japanese at the same time (for those who have about intermediate level of Japanese - good enough level to understand most of Japanese).

tsubasaloverJul 9, 2011 5:08 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 9, 2011 2:40 AM

Mar 2009
I think a club would be more suitable.
Jul 9, 2011 2:40 AM
Nov 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:
I think a club would be more suitable.
Going for this.

MAL is a primarily English-speaking site.
Jul 9, 2011 3:29 AM

Sep 2008
The problem with clubs is that they restrict the number of users the Japanese come into contact with. Right now, there's a club for the English-users who want to learn Japanese, but from the looks of it, it seems there aren't any natives participating in them. There's also tsubasalover's club centered on native Japanese people only, but they only have other native Japanese people to talk to.

If there was a Japanese section on the forum, it would be more conspicuous and free than a club, and it would be open to anyone without the unintended divisions caused by club protocol.

Certainly, MAL is primarily an English-based site. However, a Japanese section would not mean Japanese only, but a center of mixing both Japanese and English. There's no reason why the forums have to be kept 100% English. It's just a matter of public demand and practicality.

I'm currently just wondering if there is that public demand and practicality in this idea. If people don't find it necessary, then that's that.
ap19Jul 9, 2011 3:38 AM
Jul 9, 2011 3:42 AM

Jan 2011
people of all nationality comment here in english. i dont see why the japanese should be special. if everyone asks for a special section for their own language/region, it would only lead to fragmentation.

having said that, since it is true that the people in japan get first hand info on anime, perhaps a section for news from japan or some such is beneficial for everyone. the japanese can share their news/opinions of how things are in japan, and at the same time communicate with anime fans around the world.

well...since i was asked for an opinion, here it is XD cheers
Jul 9, 2011 4:25 AM

Sep 2008
sijour said:
people of all nationality comment here in english. i dont see why the japanese should be special. if everyone asks for a special section for their own language/region, it would only lead to fragmentation.

having said that, since it is true that the people in japan get first hand info on anime, perhaps a section for news from japan or some such is beneficial for everyone. the japanese can share their news/opinions of how things are in japan, and at the same time communicate with anime fans around the world.

well...since i was asked for an opinion, here it is XD cheers

Thank you for your opinion.

There is evidently more public demand for learning Japanese in comparison to other languages. It is also evident that there are several Japanese people here who are intent on learning English, more than any other language. I doubt the Japanese want special treatment, nor do I believe they are "special" probably in the way you're expressing it. Again, it's just a matter of public demand.

First-hand news would certainly be a good topic for culturally diffusive conversation. This encompasses not only anime, games, and the like, but also something more culturally restrictive, such as doujin, nicovideo, politics concerning anime restriction etc.
ap19Jul 9, 2011 4:51 AM
Jul 9, 2011 5:12 AM

Nov 2007
ap19 said:
First-hand news would certainly be a good topic for culturally diffusive conversation. This encompasses not only anime, games, and the like, but also something more culturally restrictive, such as doujin, nicovideo, politics concerning anime restriction etc.
dtshyk already covers a good amount of this for us in news, including doujin and politics. And yes, he's native Japanese so it's all first hand.
Jul 9, 2011 9:55 AM
Mar 2011
すみません、今少し余裕がないので日本語で失礼します。
英語が学べる場というのは面白そうですね。
あまり英語が達者でないので、勉強しながらアニメなどの話ができるのは憧れます。
中々参加はできないかもしれませんが、そのような場があってもいいと思います。
Jul 9, 2011 7:55 PM

Nov 2007
>-Japanese shouldn't be treated differently from other languages and nationalities.

This is completely true. I mean it's not like almost everything on this site is created by, and for Japanese people or anything.
A Japanese forum sub-section on an anime/manga site? Preposterous.
VoltlighterJul 9, 2011 7:58 PM
Jul 9, 2011 9:50 PM

Sep 2008
CanadaAotS said:
>-Japanese shouldn't be treated differently from other languages and nationalities.

This is completely true. I mean it's not like almost everything on this site is created by, and for Japanese people or anything.

Again, this doesn't deny the fact that there are significantly a lot more people who are interested in the Japanese language than any other, especially because this is a Japanimation/manga site. It's at least as natural to have a Japanese sub-section as not having one. Allow me to remind you that although this site probably wasn't created for Japanese people, almost everything content-wise is created by Japanese people, the fact that which a lot of people, who don't care about the injustices done to such creators, tend to forget often.

There is no possible harm to any user from having a Japanese sub-section. Those that don't want to be involved don't have to go there. I proposed this idea thinking that if there was one, a significant amount of the MAL population would use it, in addition to the pre-existent clubs that are centered for more specific things, run by personal administration.

This minus point is simply a minor mental disappointment from ethnic unfairness. If the negativity of such minor thoughts (really minor, especially considering that nearly all anime/manga is Japanese) is truly greater than the benefits there are, then this shouldn't happen. In my opinion, such ethnic unfairness is nothing compared to the financial injustices (piracy etc.) done to various Japanese industries in terms of unfairness.

This goes a bit off topic, but proves to make a good point concerning the opposition against "the Japanese being treated specially." We, the Japanese, have to pay a significant amount of money to watch anime and read manga. We, the Japanese, have to use a lot of money to make anime and manga. This is much more harmful than watching/reading for free. How come the greater half of foreigners get special treatment in not having to pay anything? Of course, foreigners aren't allowed to do that, but they do so anyway. With such unfairness going on, the topic of ethnic unfairness shouldn't even be brought up, at least at the level of nationalities. Surely, individuals who do care about such injustices have the right to state such unfairness for themselves, but not as a representation of their own nationality.

In comparison to that, having a Japanese sub-section on the forum not only doesn't have any potential harm to the MAL population, but can only be beneficial by providing an open place for discussion about the language and culture of where most anime/manga products came from in the first place.

Therefore, saying that a Japanese sub-section would be ethnically unfair, is plain bogus.

EDIT: Nevermind about all of that. Although not much time has passed, and there aren't that many posts, I have no reason to keep this thread going. I apologize.
ap19Jul 9, 2011 11:10 PM
Jul 10, 2011 2:03 PM

Nov 2007
I'm sorry, I forgot my [sarcasm] tags on that previous post. I was poking fun at "Japanese shouldn't be treated differently" when this entire site is about animation and comics that come from Japan.
Jul 10, 2011 4:23 PM

Dec 2009
How about just a simple language section. I've seen other anime sites with a language board and it does seem to do the trick when it comes to people wanting a place to practice Japanese and people fluent in Japanese wanting to talk to each other.

It would also cater to other languages as well, so no one should feel as if their native language has been left out.
CulexJul 10, 2011 4:26 PM
Jun 7, 2012 6:03 AM

Jun 2012
そういったコミュニティーは欲しいですね。英語の勉強の一環として、このサイトを使い始めました。
楽しく楽して英語を使えるのは理想的だと思います。大学の授業では英語は身に付きそうでないので・・。
Jun 8, 2012 10:14 AM

Aug 2008
I would love if this gets done. The truth is I have always wanted a place where I can practice Japanese/English/Spanish and at the same time talk about Anime.

Even if this idea doesn't come along, wouldn't it be beneficial for all the people that showed interested on this thread to open a club at least?
Otaku no naka no Otaku, Otaking ni narimasu -- Otaku no Video, Gainax, 1992.

More topics from this board

» Add The Beginning after the End webtoon to this site.

F4LCON9000 - Sep 8, 2021

4 by Alexioos95 »»
4 hours ago

» Private Interest Stacks

GoodbyeNosta1gia - May 24

0 by GoodbyeNosta1gia »»
May 24, 2:24 PM

» Tbr List Suggestion

quartz_goblin - May 24

0 by quartz_goblin »»
May 24, 10:04 AM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

14 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 23, 7:15 AM

» is it possible to add a like/heart feature for those who prefer not to rate things?

FruitPunchBaka - May 23

0 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 23, 5:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.