Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2010 10:03 PM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
SUBS ARE OUT!!
Jul 29, 2010 10:54 PM

Aug 2009
First fag btw...

Anyways, I watched it and it was pretty good. I admit the plot was kind of generic having old friends fighting each other though.

On another note, major cliffhanger.
Otaku_HikikomoriJul 29, 2010 11:14 PM
Sig iz in deh makingz

Still learningz

:3
Jul 30, 2010 2:10 AM
Feb 2009
that was pree sweet for first ep but I'm wondering how often are the next eps going to come out.
Jul 30, 2010 3:07 AM
Nov 2008
SOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOL!...I want the next one NOW! It seemed so small,should have been longer.
Jul 30, 2010 3:37 AM

Nov 2009
Loved the first ep, nice fluid animation, interesting world, but the story about fighting against his friend is cliche...however hope the story will surprise me in the 2nd ep.
Jul 30, 2010 4:10 AM

Feb 2008
lol you call that a cliff hanger? you know its coming. it must suck for the queen to be married to a man she doesn't love.
Jul 30, 2010 4:33 AM

Apr 2008
Take note that neither of them is wearing their wedding ring
Jul 30, 2010 4:50 AM

Mar 2009
Is it just me, or was that Pure Fucking Win?!?!?!

I really liked it, Rygart is awesome!

I love the mechs and the weapons, It's like a giant nail gun with interchangeable ammunition!!

Yea, the group of friends thing is kind of generic, but the whole controlling quartz thing, and him being an un-sorcerer is awesome!

But, I'm thinking he's not an un-sorcerer, I think he can just control a different material, like the ancients.

This kind of reminds me of Geass with the Politcal/Warring State/Mecha feel, and also how fast and agile the mechs seem to be.

I'm excited to see Rygart develop more skills, and I know he's gonna snatch Sygin, she's HAWT!!!

And, it was definitely worth the wait for the BD rip, the animation is awesome, and so smexy in 1080p!!!

And, the character designs are great!

I'm really excited about this, and it's great that it's 6 movies!!

I need moar!!

Urahara Out!!
Jul 30, 2010 6:17 AM
Jun 2010
I Loved man , i can't wait for Movie 2 +.+ its awesome! Nice Anime Story :D
Jul 30, 2010 6:42 AM

May 2009
It was generic, but pretty good at the same time. The animation was amazing (just as expected from Prduction IG/XEBEC), and the story has potential too. I'm looking forward to the second ep.
Jul 30, 2010 9:19 AM

Apr 2009
Generic plot, typical characters, but I liked it. I absolutely loved the art. Looking forward for more.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jul 30, 2010 9:31 AM

May 2009
awesome plot and story

Interesting characters

can't wait for eps 2 ^^
Zutto Anime, Game, Manga!

Jul 30, 2010 9:59 AM

Jan 2008
awesome pilot and story?

I remember only those panties close to the end of the episode.
Jul 30, 2010 11:08 AM

Jul 2009
Well I loved it. It's somewhat generic, but I love these kinds of stories, so yeah.
Jul 30, 2010 11:24 AM

Oct 2007
It's SHIGWEN-sama, god damn it, not some Sigyn. BREAKE Blade, not broken. General BARD, not Baldr. King HOZUL, not Hodr.
Someone must have hit his head pretty hard to think up these shitty subs >_<
They almost destroyed my fun watching this awesome anime...
It looks absolutely AWESOME, animation is great, characters - we know, they're excellent, Shigwen-sama, Lygatto, Zess (the ONLY difference between m&a that I can possibly accept. Actually, imo it's better than original Zesu). I want MOAR, with proper subs.
Jul 30, 2010 11:28 AM

Aug 2009
The artstyle is boring and everything else was generic. I disliked it but I was amazed at the clear looking water.
Jul 30, 2010 11:32 AM

Aug 2007
Progeusz said:
It's SHIGWEN-sama, god damn it, not some Sigyn. BREAKE Blade, not broken. General BARD, not Baldr. King HOZUL, not Hodr.
It looks absolutely AWESOME, animation is great, characters - we know, they're excellent, Shigwen-sama, Lygatto, Zess (the ONLY difference between m&a that I can possibly accept. Actually, imo it's better than original Zesu). I want MOAR, with proper subs.

Hi, I'm from gg, the group that subbed this movie.

Many of the characters names are from Norse mythology. Those spellings are also used on the official webpage on the individual character pages. I really don't care about whatever shitty scanlations of the manga you read because they were wrong. Also, Broken Blade is the official English title which is why it's on the Japanese webpage and the title screen of the movie. The line where Narvi calls Delphine this doesn't make sense in English if you leave it as "break blade".

tl;dr = Shut up faggot.
miasmacloudJul 30, 2010 11:49 AM
Jul 30, 2010 11:59 AM

Oct 2007
miasmacloud said:
Progeusz said:

Many of the characters names are from Norse mythology. Those spellings are also used on the official webpage on the individual character pages. I really don't care about whatever shitty scanlations of the manga you read because they were wrong. Also, Broken Blade is the official English title which is why it's on the Japanese webpage and the title screen of the movie. The line where Narvi calls Delphine this doesn't make sense in English if you leave it as "break blade".

tl;dr = Shut up faggot.
O rly?
So tell me, WHY Narvi said BREAKE, not broken? Why do they keep on saying "Shigwen", "Hozul" (WHERE is D in Hozul?!) etc.? How am I supposed to pronounce Baldr? Come on, make it Baldrtfghwz in next episode, it will be easier.
It's just wrong to hear one thing and read something completely different.
Sense of the title - it isn't the most important thing. It's just a title. Characters say something completely different. I'd rather belive them, especially when it's the same as in manga.
/ok, so part of the blame goes to authors of anime who screwed up but I still think it would be better to use what we hear. You know, it's irritating feeling when senses send you different signals, it disrupts your concentration focused on enjoying the show.

tl;dr - think, faggot.
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 12:19 PM
Jul 30, 2010 12:18 PM

Apr 2010
Progeusz said:
miasmacloud said:
Progeusz said:

tl;dr = Shut up faggot.
O rly?
So tell me, WHY Narvi said BREAKE, not broken? Why do they keep on saying "Shigwen", "Hozul" (WHERE is D in Hozul?!) etc.? How am I supposed to pronounce Baldr? Come on, make it Baldrtfghwz in next episode, it will be easier.
Sense of the title - it isn't the most important thing. It's just a title. Characters say something completely different. I'd rather belive them, especially when it's the same as in manga.

tl;dr - think, faggot.

yes o rly
seriously, if you're gonna hate on the subbers for how they do they're job, do it yourself. Pronunciation and spelling can be and are different in some words. Besides, miasmacloud has given, not 1, but 2 good reasons why it was subbed as such.
1) being derived from Norse
2) The OFFICIAL site spelled it that way.
Jul 30, 2010 12:21 PM

Aug 2007
Progeusz said:
miasmacloud said:
Progeusz said:

tl;dr = Shut up faggot.
O rly?

tl;dr - think, faggot.

The Japanese title has always been Break Blade in katakana. This is also what Narvi says in the movie. To Japanese people who don't know English, break and broken make the same amount of sense. To English speakers, we know that calling something a "break blade" is ungrammatical. Additionally, Narvi calls it broken using a Japanese verb on the line before, so "break blade" isn't just a "name" or a "title", it refers to the golem being broken. When CMX brought the manga over for English publication, they fixed the grammatical error and retitled it Broken Blade. The Japanese have acknowledged this and started using it as the English title even though the Japanese title remains Break Blade in katakana.

Those names are from Norse mythology and of European descent. How they are spelled using roman letters doesn't reflect their pronunciation. You being from Poland, one would think you would know this enough to not make a stupid comment like "Where is the D" but apparently not. If you were to look up the katakana of their names on Japanese wikipedia, you would find multiple Norse names.

If you want subs that have what the characters "say", then you should be watching subs that have the romaji transcriptions of their lines instead of translated English ones.

Edit:
/ok, so part of the blame goes to authors of anime who screwed up but I still think it would be better to use what we hear. You know, it's irritating feeling when senses send you different signals, it disrupts your concentration focused on enjoying the show.

This has nothing to do with the creators. They used the proper katakana "spellings" for Norse names.
miasmacloudJul 30, 2010 12:25 PM
Jul 30, 2010 12:22 PM

Oct 2007
I don't hate subbers. I hate subs. Read carefully.
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 12:37 PM
Jul 30, 2010 12:31 PM

Apr 2010
Progeusz said:

Then find another subbed version.
Grammatical issues aside, the animation is amazing and, although it was slow-paced, it definitely is something to see more of.
Jul 30, 2010 12:32 PM
Jul 2018
Progeusz said:

Then turn it off and "concentrate" on what the characters say HURFADURF

Edit: also, 0/10
Jul 30, 2010 12:35 PM

Oct 2007
miasmacloud, I know there are many differences between prounanciation in different countries, but D in Hozul... It's the first time I have ever met with something like that. Maybe that's simply my ignorance but WHY there's literally no contact between authors of anime and seiyuu? Shouldn't they communicate somehow? Yeah, I understand that they thought up these names and they are the ones to blame but... it's just wrong, you know what I mean, right?
Jul 30, 2010 12:36 PM

Aug 2007
Progeusz said:
miasmacloud, I know there are many differences between prounanciation in different countries, but D in Hozul... It's the first time I have ever met with something like that. Maybe that's simply my ignorance but WHY there's literally no contact between authors of anime and seiyuu? Shouldn't they communicate somehow? Yeah, I understand that they thought up these names and they are the ones to blame but... it's just wrong, you know what I mean, right?

...but Hozuru is the katakana for Hodr.

I don't see what the problem is?
Jul 30, 2010 12:43 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Nice movie. Gotta watch the rest of the movies now.

Jul 30, 2010 12:45 PM

Oct 2007
I hear z, not d. It's nowhere near d.
L & r are quite simmilar in Japanese, they say something between those two.

Is it illegal to use not official, but much more logical subs?

/I cannot think of any other anime where there was situation like that, really.
Jul 30, 2010 12:51 PM

Aug 2007
Also what is this about "official" and "logical"? I don't think this is purely a matter of it being official or not considering that the names are from Norse mythology and have English equivalents that English people can recognize. (In example: There's a character named Loki. Loki is a pretty recognizable.) If the authors intention was to name the characters after Norse mythology, it would be illogical to use romaji transcription names instead of his intended Norse names when there are English equivalents and these are English subs.
miasmacloudJul 30, 2010 1:37 PM
Jul 30, 2010 12:54 PM

Jan 2008
Regardless of the subs....

I'm enjoying this so far.

I'm kinda disappointed in the quality of the movie though, I mean it's good, but it's not "movie-good". Pretty much same quality you'd find in any modern anime.

Sigyn fanservice anyone? :D
PaulJul 30, 2010 1:20 PM
Jul 30, 2010 1:11 PM
May 2008
Progeusz said:
...Maybe that's simply my ignorance...

indeed it is. worry not, though. one semester of japanese will be more than enough to learn what japanese syllables are, or rather, are not capable of.
Jul 30, 2010 1:15 PM

Oct 2007
"miasmacloud" said:
If the authors intention was to name the characters after Norse mythology, it would be illogical to use romaji transcription names instead of his intended Norse names when there are English equivalents and these are English subs.
I'd happily agree if it was not for the seiyuu. There is more than one way to pronounce katakana, we all know that. The problem is, why do seiyuu and authors chose differently? They should pronounce words as they sound in original, not as it is possible to pronounce their alternative transcription
Jul 30, 2010 1:25 PM

Jul 2010
Oh God when is the next episode???? I NEED IT NOW!!!
Jul 30, 2010 1:26 PM

Aug 2007
Progeusz said:
"miasmacloud" said:
If the authors intention was to name the characters after Norse mythology, it would be illogical to use romaji transcription names instead of his intended Norse names when there are English equivalents and these are English subs.
I'd happily agree if it was not for the seiyuu. There is more than one way to pronounce katakana, we all know that. The problem is, why do seiyuu and authors chose differently? They should pronounce words as they sound in original, not as it is possible to pronounce their alternative transcription

I took Japanese at university and I was only taught one way to pronounce syllables.

Since you know better, why don't you tell me the other ways?
Jul 30, 2010 1:30 PM
Oct 2008
Progeusz said:
I hear z, not d. It's nowhere near d.
L & r are quite simmilar in Japanese, they say something between those two.

Is it illegal to use not official, but much more logical subs?

/I cannot think of any other anime where there was situation like that, really.

phonetics lesson:

http://weston.ruter.net/projects/ipa-chart/view/keyboard/

The sounds [d] and [z] only differ in manner of articulation - they're formed at the same point of articulation, and are both voiced obstruents. Which means *any* "z" is going to be *remarkably* close to a "d". Japanese has a much simpler phonological scheme than English, so in most cases and dialects Western [d] and [z] both fall under the phoneme /z/ - that means, just like l and r, there's no inflection of meaning in using a sound between the two.

Now, the katakana spelling uses ズ "zu". ズ happens to be pronounced exactly like ヅ "dzu" in most dialects of Japanese, so ヅ has largely fallen out of use outside a few notable exceptions. So, when it comes to transcripting "HODR" (check the page miasmacloud linked, it's right there), the "DR" would be expanded to "duru", and the "du" would be transcribed as the closest they have to a "du" sound, the more common and therefore more productive ズ.
Jul 30, 2010 1:47 PM

Sep 2007
Personally, I think the subs were great. Movie was great too, though it did feel kinda short. Plot and characters were pretty typical, but I think how it was all strewn together made the movie come across more as good and not so generic. Overall, I liked it and can't wait for the next part to be subbed! I do gotta agree with Paul how it didn't really seem like movie quality animation, though it was still pretty good.

I don't get what this whole above problem is with the spelling and all that, since I think it's pretty well known that with the Japanese language, you more than often can't make a correct pronunciation of non Japanese names.
Jul 30, 2010 2:06 PM

Oct 2007
miasmacloud, l&r?

Which means *any* "z" is going to be *remarkably* close to a "d" <- in practice, not really.

if you don't like the subs don't use them. <- lol, there are no other subs. Stupid reply ;d

The point is, seiyuu say something different from what is written in subs. That's the problem. There is no z in pronunciation of Höðr (original name). I hear z in anime. I cannot see z in subs. That's the problem. As I said, it's irritating feeling when senses send you different signals, it disrupts your concentration focused on enjoying the show.
I don't care about grammar issues while watching anime. I care about compatibility of subs and seiyuu. There is none.
Subs ~=~ original transcription
Seiyuu =/= original pronunciation
Where is consequence?
Jul 30, 2010 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Progeusz said:
miasmacloud, l&r?

Which means *any* "z" is going to be *remarkably* close to a "d" <- in practice, not really.

if you don't like the subs don't use them. <- lol, there are no other subs. Stupid reply ;d

The point is, seiyuu say something different from what is written in subs. That's the problem. There is no z in pronunciation of Höðr (original name). I hear z in anime. I cannot see z in subs. That's the problem. As I said, it's irritating feeling when senses send you different signals, it disrupts your concentration focused on enjoying the show.
I don't care about grammar issues while watching anime. I care about compatibility of subs and seiyuu. There is none.
Subs ~=~ original transcription
Seiyuu =/= original pronunciation
Where is consequence?
Sigh... This is why idiots are so...
I bet you've never heard of a mute function. If the audio fucks up your concentration, mute it. If that's not gonna work for you, I suggest you dub it yourself for a more "concentrated" enjoyment.

You should really stop replying with your ignorant mind. It's only proving your stupidity.
Jul 30, 2010 2:36 PM

Oct 2007
lol, THAT was stupid reply XD mute audio - yeah, everybody knows that films without sound are better. I was talking about few words, not whole audio. Use brain : )
Jul 30, 2010 2:38 PM

Aug 2007
I was never taught any alternative pronunciations for ra/re/ru/ri/ro. Again, please inform me of these multiple ways to pronounce syllables, as I was only taught one for each syllable.

If you dislike hearing the voice actors say something then reading something different, you should not be watching subtitles at all because subtitles do not say what the voice actor says. They're a translation and interpretation of what is said. Since you apparently know so much about Japanese, so you should also be familiar with how in Japanese you can talk without using nouns/subjects. And by reading a sentence in English that has the noun/subject added in when it wasn't present in the original Japanese, you are reading something that is different than what is spoken in the subs.
Jul 30, 2010 2:41 PM

Jul 2009
kisami said:
lol you call that a cliff hanger? you know its coming. it must suck for the queen to be married to a man she doesn't love.
I'm sure she doesn't even shared the same room

Shigwen animated? more than i need from Break Blade or Broken Blade, <3

Generic Plot? yes it is, but the war strategy is the main focus in Break Blade, wait for it, the romance between Shigwen x Lygatto x The King is pretty easily to figure it out, hope it doesn't get too complex at the same time forgetting the main plot "the battlefield"
Jul 30, 2010 2:44 PM
Dec 2007
Progeusz said:
miasmacloud, l&r?

If the IPA chart is wrong, would you care to explain how you're supposed to pronounce "z" and "d"?
Jul 30, 2010 2:45 PM

Oct 2007
miasmacloud said:
I was never taught any alternative pronunciations for ra/re/ru/ri/ro. Again, please inform me of these multiple ways to pronounce syllables, as I was only taught one for each syllable.

If you dislike hearing the voice actors say something then reading something different, you should not be watching subtitles at all because subtitles do not say what the voice actor says. They're a translation and interpretation of what is said. Since you apparently know so much about Japanese, so you should also be familiar with how in Japanese you can talk without using nouns/subjects. And by reading a sentence in English that has the noun/subject added in when it wasn't present in the original Japanese, you are reading something that is different than what is spoken in the subs.
balkbgjugvu;agbh more of dumb replys, I get the feeling that you don't care about what I say, you simply want to show how great you are...
I watch anime with subs because I want to understand what characters are saying. Names DO NOT translate.

Stop with the sarcasm, I don't want to flame. I have simply said what is wrong imo and why.

would you care to explain how you're supposed to pronounce "z" and "d"? <- like in zero, deer? Completely different.
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 3:00 PM
Jul 30, 2010 2:55 PM

Aug 2007
Those names aren't "translated", that is how you spell them in English.
Jul 30, 2010 3:01 PM

Oct 2007
Names should be spelled the same in every language...

Something nicer - I love how Shigwen looked in her bed (hehe, colored version), the scene with ring was significant.
Probably the biggest advantage of anime are colors - battles in manga were sometimes kind of hard to follow, now there is no problem ^_^ Mechs look really good, I like how they are a little dirty or damaged, nice change compared to perfect gundams. Backgrounds are wonderful, it's a pity that Krishna Kingdom is barren land when you see how detailed are they :(

/I don't know why but sometimes when I refresh the page some posts disappear and after few refreshes they come back, the same with edits. Anyone know what might cause it? Heavy traffic on MAL maybe?
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 3:04 PM
Jul 30, 2010 3:03 PM

Aug 2007
Then why aren't you complaining about all of the other names?
Jul 30, 2010 3:03 PM
Oct 2008
Progeusz said:
I watch anime with subs because I want to understand what characters are saying. Names DO NOT translate.

which is why you were arguing from the beginning that it should have been "hozuru" in this episode of BUREIKU BUREIDO, right? And "shigyun", "barudo" and "regattsu". Because names don't translate, right?
Jul 30, 2010 3:06 PM

Jul 2009
I don't know about this "name" spelling or anything, as long i recognized who is who, i don't really mind

If someone dislike subs that much, why don't he watch it RAW?
Jul 30, 2010 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Progeusz said:
balkbgjugvu;agbh more of dumb replys, I get the feeling that you don't care about what I say, you simply want to show how great you are...

Stop with the sarcasm, I don't want to flame. I have simply said what is wrong imo and why.

would you care to explain how you're supposed to pronounce "z" and "d"? <- like in zero, deer? Completely different.

What you're saying is that names that were translated from Norse mythology into Japanese should be spelled out as how Japanese say it instead of using the more well-known representations of the same source. The names in the subs are not what you call as "translations," they are the English representations of the original names from Norse mythology.
What don't you understand?
Jul 30, 2010 3:08 PM

Oct 2007
Then why aren't you complaining about all of the other names? <- You mean e.g. Lee? It's okay, they say Lee, I read Lee.

And NO, I don't dislike subs to the extent that I would prefer watching RAW. In that case I would simply watch RAWs, nee?
Complying =/= end of the world, ppl... nevermind... you don't even try to thoroughly read what I'm writing...
ProgeuszJul 30, 2010 3:15 PM
Jul 30, 2010 3:14 PM

Aug 2007
Progeusz said:
Then why aren't you complaining about all of the other names? <- You mean e.g. Lee? It's okay, they say Lee, I read Lee.

But the voice actors don't say "Lee", they say "Ri". That's the katakana for her name, so that's what they say in Japanese. They don't say "Cleo" either, they say "Kureo".

Hey, why aren't you spelling リィ's name right? Lee looks like a translation of it into another language.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Break Blade ? ANIME? OR ?MANGA?

thecursedone - Feb 1, 2013

6 by jjrocks24 »»
Oct 30, 2013 7:11 PM

» release date

N0mad - May 31, 2010

10 by MeitDeist »»
Jul 30, 2010 7:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.