Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 24, 2013 10:22 AM

Dec 2012
Since Homura is really the center of Rebellion's story and goes through some drastic developments during the film, I think it would be interesting to take stock of what everyone thinks about her now that the initial surprise has worn off a bit. Is Homura better now than she was at the end of the original series? Whether you answer the poll based on the quality of her characterization or personal like/dislike is up to your judgement.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2013 11:00 AM
Dec 2013
About the same. The morality at play is pretty ambiguous while her actions are still in-character and have a logic to them. It's not like Darth Cadeus.
Dec 24, 2013 11:32 AM

Jan 2013
I think Rebellion has made her a much more interesting character than she was before (not to say she wan't interesting in the TV show). I don't like her as much because she's made some very questionable decisions, but I think they've set her up for a very tragic character arc and hopefully a cathartic redemption.
Dec 25, 2013 10:53 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I like her even more how she turned out.
Dec 25, 2013 11:03 PM

Oct 2012
I think that now her true nature has been shown, we know her fully as a character, which does indeed make her better than before the movie.

I wonder how sequels will treat that though...
Dec 27, 2013 10:27 AM

Jun 2011
MCsq2 said:
I wonder how sequels will treat that though...

Probably the same as the Clara dolls are treating her.
Dec 29, 2013 8:13 PM

Oct 2008
It all depends whether you believe her actions are based out of selflessness or selfishness.

Selfless = She simply wants to fulfill her wish, which was to protect Madoka. By being able to control the world and remove Incubator's influence, she manages to reach her wish.
Madoka did say during the third movie that she really does cherish the time with her friends and family and Homura intepreted this at face value: that she made a rash decision at the spur of the moment to sacrifice herself for the greater good when she really didn't. The last scene also shows that she understands that her actions may ultimately lead to future conflict, but she's willing to sacrifice even her friendship with Madoka to give her that fleeting dream of normal life.

Selfish: Yuri subtext that Homura wants Madoka for herself. I don't agree with this because if she really wanted Madoka for herself, why go all the way and recreate the world so that they can just start their friendship anew... Doesn't make sense to me.

I think they pushed the "evil" side a little but much, but ultimately I think Homura's heart is in the right place. And they managed to make her even more badass then before.
Dec 29, 2013 11:17 PM
Nov 2013
Omniknight said:
I think they pushed the "evil" side a little but much

We have to define good and evil become we can decide whether those terms apply. If you define those attributes in terms of free will, Homura is certainly the most evil character in the franchise, as Kyubey at least displays some level of respect for letting people make their own choices. He may mislead you, but you still choose to become a magical girl, and you still choose what to do about it. Even when Madoka wished to make Kyubey's job a lot harder, Kyubey granted her wish. He respected her choice. Homura allowed her will to yield only to Madoka's. What we see in Rebellion is that she's taken the last step of realizing that she doesn't even care what Madoka wants. She's willing to save Madoka from herself. In a universe run by Homura, free will exists only to the extent that Homura tolerates it. That's pretty evil.

That said, Madoka's kind of good is precarious. She has no "final solution" for the problem of the incubators. If she had gotten her way, the most that could have been said was that Madoka and her witches might have managed to get away, this time. Because Madoka's universe preserved even the incubators' free will, they were free to continue to try to screw the magical girls, and arguably they would have eventually captured Madoka as they set out to do. They certainly appear to have the means, Madoka takes no countermeasures to speak of, and it's not like there's a time limit on the incubators' attempts. By bringing both Madoka and the incubators under her thumb, Homura can enforce the outcome she wants.

This last part is what Homura and Kyubey have in common. They both serve what they see as a greater good without any regard for whether anyone else shares their vision. But again, the incubators handicap themselves by respecting free will. Homura does not.
Dec 29, 2013 11:20 PM

Jan 2013
Omniknight said:
It all depends whether you believe her actions are based out of selflessness or selfishness.

Selfless = She simply wants to fulfill her wish, which was to protect Madoka. By being able to control the world and remove Incubator's influence, she manages to reach her wish.
Madoka did say during the third movie that she really does cherish the time with her friends and family and Homura intepreted this at face value: that she made a rash decision at the spur of the moment to sacrifice herself for the greater good when she really didn't. The last scene also shows that she understands that her actions may ultimately lead to future conflict, but she's willing to sacrifice even her friendship with Madoka to give her that fleeting dream of normal life.

Selfish: Yuri subtext that Homura wants Madoka for herself. I don't agree with this because if she really wanted Madoka for herself, why go all the way and recreate the world so that they can just start their friendship anew... Doesn't make sense to me.

I think they pushed the "evil" side a little but much, but ultimately I think Homura's heart is in the right place. And they managed to make her even more badass then before.

I definitely agree with the selfless argument, although I would never call what Madoka did in episode 12 a "rash decision at the spur of the moment". She had the previous 11 episodes to think about her wish and had more knowledge about the history of magical girls than anyone. I think Homura knows that if the Madoka in Rebellion's flower scene were put through the same circumstances as the TV show, she would always make the selfless decision to sacrifice herself for the good of magical girls. Madoka may not be totally happy doing it, but she always will make that choice when it becomes obvious she's the only one who has the power to save everyone. At the end of Rebellion, Homura seems to have found a way to save magical girls and keep Madoka alive, even though its forced onto Madoka.
Jan 5, 2014 2:32 AM

Dec 2010
lol. Selfless.

Yeah. Homura is a perfect, amazing waifu that only wants the best for everybody, especially Madoka. Accepting Madoka's sacrifice like that and letting everyone else be happy? Man. Homura really is Jesus. This is sarcasm.

No matter how you look at it, Homuran or actually watching the fucking franchise unfold into a Homura centric ball of rubbish, what Homura essentially did was... not be happy with how things ended out, wanting things to be on her terms and making everyone miserable in the process. Including Madoka. I agree with that tumblr post I found of Homura. She really is kinda like an emotionally abusive stalker.
Jan 5, 2014 2:36 AM

Mar 2013
She got so much worse. She went from spending a whole TV series protecting the world and the girl she loves to... lol whatever that bullshit was.
Jan 6, 2014 11:48 AM
Sep 2010
straggy said:
She got so much worse. She went from spending a whole TV series protecting the world and the girl she loves to... lol whatever that bullshit was.

I wouldn't really say she was trying to protect the world. More like she just wants to protect Madoka. She is ultimately fine with others dieing as long as Madoka is safe.
Jan 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Aug 2008
Didn't we already have a character arc where it showed how an obsessive love for someone lead to their downfall...Sayaka anyone?

So basically what this series is trying to say is uh....love is a very bad thing, don't fall in love you will make stupid decisions.

My decision on Homura...she's obsessed and hasn't developed at all. She just remains obsessed. Not really any development on her part. So yeah I guess my opinion of her is a little worse because I kinda liked the fact that in the Madoka ending she had to accept living in a world without Madoka. It was tragic because she wasn't able to save Madoka, but she still has to live her life onwards regardless which made her respectable. Here it's just crazy stalker syndrome (If I'm doing it for their sake its ok) which is rather silly and overly negative.
hyperknees91Jan 6, 2014 7:22 PM
Jan 6, 2014 7:30 PM

Jan 2013
hyperknees91 said:
Didn't we already have a character arc where it showed how an obsessive love for someone lead to their downfall...Sayaka anyone?

So basically what this series is trying to say is uh....love is a very bad thing, don't fall in love you will make stupid decisions.

My decision on Homura...she's obsessed and hasn't developed at all. She just remains obsessed. Not really any development on her part. So yeah I guess my opinion of her is a little worse because I kinda liked the fact that in the Madoka ending she had to accept living in a world without Madoka. It was tragic because she wasn't able to save Madoka, but she still has to live her life onwards regardless which made her respectable. Here it's just crazy stalker syndrome (If I'm doing it for their sake its ok) which is rather silly and overly negative.

But if she just goes to heaven with Madoka, Kyubey is gonna keep trying to capture her. With the containment fields, he could turn magical girls into witches inisde their soul gems. She had to change something about the universe (not necessarily what she did, but something).
Jan 6, 2014 7:44 PM

Aug 2008
Not saying she shouldn't have.

Granted I really shouldn't be so quick to judge as this movie is obviously leading into a second season. With an incomplete conclusion it's a little unfair to judge.

Perhaps she'll get her redemption/development eventually. Still I can't help but feel we are going in circles with her character at this point.

Also how are we going to develop the other characters? I mean they already kinda all had their...thing. Maybe they can spend time letting us get attached to them as people with the second season instead of focusing on insane shocking event after insane shocking event.
hyperknees91Jan 6, 2014 7:50 PM
Jan 6, 2014 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
hyperknees91 said:
Not saying she shouldn't have.

Granted I really shouldn't be so quick to judge as this movie is obviously leading into a second season. With an incomplete conclusion it's a little unfair to judge.

Perhaps she'll get her redemption/development eventually. Still I can't help but feel we are going in circles with her character at this point.

Also how are we going to develop the other characters? I mean they already kinda all had their...thing. Maybe they can spend time letting us get attached to them as people with the second season instead of focusing on insane shocking event after insane shocking event.

Personally, while I love Madoka's crazy plot twists, I wouldn't mind the second season focusing a lot on the characters and the relationships, building to a big battle for control of the universe. We've got Mami/Bebe, Sayaka/Kyoko, and most importantly Madoka/Homura to develop. We know surprisingly little about them as human beings, I'd like to see that expanded.
Jan 6, 2014 11:18 PM

Mar 2013
Zetsuei380 said:
straggy said:

I wouldn't really say she was trying to protect the world. More like she just wants to protect Madoka. She is ultimately fine with others dieing as long as Madoka is safe.

She was battling the Walpurgisnacht that was going to destroy the world all by herself. She was therefore protecting the world by doing that.
Jan 7, 2014 4:25 AM

Mar 2012
Lauriet said:
lol. Selfless.

Yeah. Homura is a perfect, amazing waifu that only wants the best for everybody, especially Madoka. Accepting Madoka's sacrifice like that and letting everyone else be happy? Man. Homura really is Jesus. This is sarcasm.

No matter how you look at it, Homuran or actually watching the fucking franchise unfold into a Homura centric ball of rubbish, what Homura essentially did was... not be happy with how things ended out, wanting things to be on her terms and making everyone miserable in the process. Including Madoka. I agree with that tumblr post I found of Homura. She really is kinda like an emotionally abusive stalker.

But everybody is HAPPY though in Homura's ending though, Sayaka is alive and best friends with Kyouko, Maim gets a kid to be a senpai too, and Madoka gets her family back and is happy as well. Ignorance is bliss. Madoka wasn't happy as the Goddess, that's a fact from the show, but Madoka is willing to sacrifice her own happiness for the greater good, Homura on the other hand is willing to sacrifice anything for Madoka's happiness, even her own. Both their wishes conflict each other.
Jan 7, 2014 12:29 PM
Sep 2010
straggy said:
Zetsuei380 said:
straggy said:

She was battling the Walpurgisnacht that was going to destroy the world all by herself. She was therefore protecting the world by doing that.

Most likely even if she defeated Walpurgisnacht, if Madoka died/turned to a magical girl she would of went back in time despite saving the world. Saving the world is more of a secondary objective to her. If lots of people died but Madoka lived she wouldn't do anything to change that.
Jan 7, 2014 3:23 PM

Aug 2008
Well she probably would, because Madoka wouldn't be happy with that result. Madoka not being happy = Homura doing something drastic.
Jan 8, 2014 1:57 AM

Mar 2013
Zetsuei380 said:
straggy said:
Zetsuei380 said:
straggy said:

Most likely even if she defeated Walpurgisnacht, if Madoka died/turned to a magical girl she would of went back in time despite saving the world. Saving the world is more of a secondary objective to her. If lots of people died but Madoka lived she wouldn't do anything to change that.

A secondary objective is still an objective. She was still saving other people and the world, when she could've focused EVERYTHING on Madoka.
Jan 8, 2014 8:46 AM

Aug 2008
I do forget if there was any reason she specifically had to defeat the walpurgisnacht. I mean was it a possibility to just take Madoka and run?

I forget if those things can continue to rampage for an eternity though.
Jan 8, 2014 9:17 AM

Jan 2013
hyperknees91 said:
I do forget if there was any reason she specifically had to defeat the walpurgisnacht. I mean was it a possibility to just take Madoka and run?

I don't think Walpurgisnacht can rampage forever, but had they run away it would have destroyed the shelter that everyone was staying in. Madoka would've become a magical girl in order to save her family, so running really wasn't an option for Homura.
Jan 8, 2014 10:33 AM
Dec 2013
LyricalCrimson said:
FierceAlchemist said:
hyperknees91 said:

I don't think Walpurgisnacht can rampage forever, but had they run away it would have destroyed the shelter that everyone was staying in. Madoka would've become a magical girl in order to save her family, so running really wasn't an option for Homura.

You should not forget, that is very likely that WN was after Madoka... and I don't think they want to be haunted by an evil spirit who lays a way of destruction every place he passes through just to get to his target.

There's no reason to think that. WN appeared even in the first timeline before Madoka had such potential. Mami knew about it early on too. It seems Kyubei told her and began to keep it a secret in the timelines where Madoka was so powerful.

If Homura didn't kill WN she knew it would either kill Madoka or she would contract to save herself, her friends and family, and her city. She couldn't take Madoka away, because Kyubei would follow them and Madoka would be more likely to contract after feelng betrayed by Homura.
Jan 9, 2014 11:35 AM

Aug 2008
I see. So then her only objective is to save Madoka.

I guess it makes sense though, going back through time all those times seemed to have strengthened her obsession more and more. Just like how it ironically strengthened Madoka's powers. So I guess her remaining obsessed is kind of logical in her point of view. The fact that she wasn't willing to turn back time for anyone but Madoka, kind of makes this even more logical.

Perhaps they really just needed to focus on her character more in the first series. That way the whiplash wouldn't be so high for people. I do like how it was subtly shown in her actions, so this movie wasn't out of nowhere. But I still would have preferred something different from her by now.

Then again this movie wasn't planned, so yeah.
hyperknees91Jan 9, 2014 1:04 PM
Jan 12, 2014 6:42 AM

Jan 2014
straggy said:

straggy said:
A secondary objective is still an objective. She was still saving other people and the world, when she could've focused EVERYTHING on Madoka.

So how exactly is this any different from what she did in the third movie?

Protecting the world was definitely just a side effect that originated from her attempt to protect Madoka.

Again, in this movie, all she does is protect Madoka. She didn't harm ANYONE. Among others, even brought Sayaka back to school. She still maintains the law of cycles, which, according to your own logic, equals a secondary objective. She is protecting the world from witches.

The only bad thing she did was to alter people's memories and seal Madoka's powers. But her intentions were in no way evil. Compared to the series, where she didn't care if Sayaka or anyone else died as long as Madoka was save, this is nothing.

The whole "I'm a demon" statement is just making people think that she actually is purely evil now although it's more a metaphor for her methods and goals opposing those of Madoka. Her feelings and decisions are completely reasonable and human, considering everything she went through. She is just obsessed. That's what she was throughout the whole series as well.

I'm convinced that most people who claim that she acted out of character / inconsistent just didn't pay enough attention or didn't even bother to understand the events.
JoekstarJan 12, 2014 7:36 AM
Jan 12, 2014 9:52 AM

Aug 2008
Well it's more just people view Homura wrong. They think she is a respectable person who is very strong, which isn't true at all. Basically they didn't read in between the lines enough with the events.

For example "Homura is so determined because she's willing to repeat the same events over and over again for the sake of Madoka". When they didn't question why she wouldn't do the same if any of the other girls die. Unlike Okabe who won't disregard what everyone else is feeling simply for the sake of Mayuri when he turns back time. Okabe and Homura do pretty much the same thing, but they are completely different at the same time.

I think the shipping mindset of Madoka x Homura might have gotten somewhat in the way of that.
hyperknees91Jan 12, 2014 9:58 AM
Jan 12, 2014 11:00 AM

Jan 2013
hyperknees91 said:
Well it's more just people view Homura wrong. They think she is a respectable person who is very strong, which isn't true at all. Basically they didn't read in between the lines enough with the events.

For example "Homura is so determined because she's willing to repeat the same events over and over again for the sake of Madoka". When they didn't question why she wouldn't do the same if any of the other girls die. Unlike Okabe who won't disregard what everyone else is feeling simply for the sake of Mayuri when he turns back time. Okabe and Homura do pretty much the same thing, but they are completely different at the same time.

I think the shipping mindset of Madoka x Homura might have gotten somewhat in the way of that.

I like your Steins;Gate comparison. Okabe nearly gave up on saving Mayuri when it became obvious someone else would have to die in order to get to the Beta world line. Homura on the other hand, though she does care for the other girls, will not let their deaths obstruct her goal of saving Madoka. She's not totally obsessed but also not as caring as Okabe. She's somewhere in the middle.
Jan 12, 2014 12:42 PM

Aug 2008
In the middle indeed.

People just need to remember, that like Okabe. They aren't fighting for what's right or wrong, but their own desires that they seek to protect (and what are wishes in Madoka all about?). It's a very human thing to do really.
Jan 12, 2014 2:25 PM

Jan 2014
Homura went through so much throughout the series and the movies, so I'm not entirely surprised that she broke. Honestly, I feel as though she has gotten much worse, but it can't be helped. Someone needs to slap some sense back into her (hopefully Madoka) and make her realize that the world she created is still at fault and that it should of stayed the way Madoka originally shaped it.
Jan 12, 2014 3:48 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah not too sure how her character will develop anymore. I can list some suggestions possibly.

1. Make her realize the world is not just Madoka, and accept that she can't save her.

2. Make her obsession take a turn for a worse and make her more vile and evil (fill in whatever vile and evil things you imagine her doing).

3. Have her come up with a solution where everything works out?
Jan 13, 2014 2:25 AM

Mar 2013
BeatzMe said:
straggy said:

straggy said:

So how exactly is this any different from what she did in the third movie?

Protecting the world was definitely just a side effect that originated from her attempt to protect Madoka.

Again, in this movie, all she does is protect Madoka. She didn't harm ANYONE. Among others, even brought Sayaka back to school. She still maintains the law of cycles, which, according to your own logic, equals a secondary objective. She is protecting the world from witches.

The only bad thing she did was to alter people's memories and seal Madoka's powers. But her intentions were in no way evil. Compared to the series, where she didn't care if Sayaka or anyone else died as long as Madoka was save, this is nothing.

The whole "I'm a demon" statement is just making people think that she actually is purely evil now although it's more a metaphor for her methods and goals opposing those of Madoka. Her feelings and decisions are completely reasonable and human, considering everything she went through. She is just obsessed. That's what she was throughout the whole series as well.

I'm convinced that most people who claim that she acted out of character / inconsistent just didn't pay enough attention or didn't even bother to understand the events.

Being a demon has nothing to do with that and I never mentioned it. :/
She harmed Madoka MENTALLY. People call Homura evil because she kidnapped Madoka, placed her in a noncon relationship and is now abusing her, like. That's something you can easily call evil. She'd never have done that in the first series either - it's literally going against what she wanted. It was utter bullshit and I'm convinced most people who claim that was in character/morally sound DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT ABUSE IS.
Jan 13, 2014 2:50 AM
Dec 2013
hyperknees91 said:

Homura explains the reasons she doesn't go to such lengths for anyone else in the show. When she is talking with Madoka in episode 4 she states that magical girls give up everything for the sake of a single wish and fight for those wishes. Madoka was the only one Homura made a wish for. Then in episode 19 we see that she specifically promised Madoka that she would go back in time again and again to save her. She did not make that promise to anyone else.

In addition, there was no way to save Mami or Kyoko, because they had become magical girls long before and were always going to either die fighting or turn into witches. And Syaka would never listen to Homura in any timeline.

It wasn't that she was weak. It was that she recognized her limits. She DID try to keep Mami and Kyoko alive, and she DID try to prevent Syaka from contracting, but they were not the subject of her wish or of her promise, so going to the same lengths to save them as she did to save Madoka would have meant her losing hope of accomplishing anything and giving into despair and becoming a witch after just a few timelines.

There are 2 things that underlie the argument that Homura is 'strong.' The first is that she goes through years and years of futile struggle, reliving the same awful traumas again and again, and does not give into despair. Other magical girls may barely last a week before turning into witches. Homura had the fortitude to literally go on for eternity. The other thing is the comparison with Sayaka. Sayaka wanted Kyoske's gratitude, and one of her major sources of despair was that she felt she couldn't be close to him. Homura, on the other hand, was willing to have Madoka hate her if that's what it took to keep her safe. She continues to do that in the movie, deliberately becoming a witch to protect Madoka from Kyubei. Arguably her actions in becoming a 'demon' are the same thing.
Jan 13, 2014 4:38 AM

Jan 2014
straggy said:

A generalized statement of mine. Good for you if that's not the case.

straggy said:
She harmed Madoka MENTALLY. People call Homura evil because she kidnapped Madoka, placed her in a noncon relationship and is now abusing her, like. That's something you can easily call evil. She'd never have done that in the first series either - it's literally going against what she wanted. It was utter bullshit and I'm convinced most people who claim that was in character/morally sound DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT ABUSE IS.

You sure are phrasing that exaggeratedly. I don't even get where "and is abusing her now" is coming from.

That's going against what she wanted? Did we watch the same series?

From the very beginning she wanted Madoka to be save and happy. I guess we agree on at least that much!?
And she only accepted Madoka's choice at the end of the series because she thought that that's what Madoka wanted and what made her happy. Not like there was anything she could have done anyways.
But now she is told by Madoka herself that she would never want to leave her family and friends behind. She literally tells Homura that she wouldn't be happy without the ones she loves. Thus the logical consequence is to bring her back so that she can live with everyone again.

Yes, her methods are questionable but her intentions / motivations go in no way against what she was trying to achieve in the first series.
Jan 13, 2014 6:16 PM

Jan 2013
straggy said:

If you want more proof, look at the lyrics in the show's first ending theme. This is Madoka's character song sung by Madoka's voice actress basically saying that she really wants to see Homura but can't, so she'll lie and smile and say "See You Tomorrow." I'm not saying what Homura did was right, but to label it as pure evil is an insult to the complexity of her character.
http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/madokamagica/mataashita.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q9fsZa5vk
Jan 13, 2014 7:01 PM

Aug 2008

Homura explains the reasons she doesn't go to such lengths for anyone else in the show. When she is talking with Madoka in episode 4 she states that magical girls give up everything for the sake of a single wish and fight for those wishes. Madoka was the only one Homura made a wish for. Then in episode 19 we see that she specifically promised Madoka that she would go back in time again and again to save her. She did not make that promise to anyone else.

In addition, there was no way to save Mami or Kyoko, because they had become magical girls long before and were always going to either die fighting or turn into witches. And Syaka would never listen to Homura in any timeline.

It wasn't that she was weak. It was that she recognized her limits. She DID try to keep Mami and Kyoko alive, and she DID try to prevent Syaka from contracting, but they were not the subject of her wish or of her promise, so going to the same lengths to save them as she did to save Madoka would have meant her losing hope of accomplishing anything and giving into despair and becoming a witch after just a few timelines.

There are 2 things that underlie the argument that Homura is 'strong.' The first is that she goes through years and years of futile struggle, reliving the same awful traumas again and again, and does not give into despair. Other magical girls may barely last a week before turning into witches. Homura had the fortitude to literally go on for eternity. The other thing is the comparison with Sayaka. Sayaka wanted Kyoske's gratitude, and one of her major sources of despair was that she felt she couldn't be close to him. Homura, on the other hand, was willing to have Madoka hate her if that's what it took to keep her safe. She continues to do that in the movie, deliberately becoming a witch to protect Madoka from Kyubei. Arguably her actions in becoming a 'demon' are the same thing.

Was there anything preventing Homura for going back in time to the point before Mami and Kyouko became witches? I forgot whatever rules she had on her time leaping (if she had any).

Regardless I don't think you get what I'm saying. Homura never went back in time for the sake of anyone but Madoka. Like Fierce said, she's not completely indifferent to the other girls, but they are certainly not a priority for her even though she spent time with them as well.

Homura being "strong" is kind of up for debate. Is she "strong" because she tries to change fate or is she just an obsessive person who won't face reality? Regardless of the impact it has on the universe and how helpful her actions are for kyubey, she would keep doing it anyway. Sure you can say she has a lot of devotion, but I don't think necessarily means she's a strong person. Sayaka's case is a little different. That girl basically gave up everything she wanted by becoming a magical girl, she was essentially tricked the most. Homura gave up nothing by becoming a magical girl, it just let her be with Madoka more. So in a sense, she got exactly what she wanted in comparison. Not only that but also it's shown by Mami that as long as magical girls have something to fight for, they won't give into despair. Sayaka had nothing to fight for, it was inevitable for her to get into despair. For some reason Kyouko never gives into despair either, perhaps because her life as a magical girl is still better than it was when she was a kid so she really doesn't care either way.

Actually upon thinking about it...how did Kyouko not give into despair? She was all alone and she had the worst past. I guess we'll just have to say she was stronger than the other girls probably (because even as confident as Mami seemed, it was apparent she would give into despair one day without Madoka's support).

I agree that her actions in this movie are no different then her previous actions. Hence why I said she lacks development. She basically is willing to do any insane thing for Madoka's sake. It's pretty much made her delusional by this point (not unexpected after so many time repeats).
hyperknees91Jan 13, 2014 7:48 PM
Jan 14, 2014 6:35 AM
Dec 2013

Was there anything preventing Homura for going back in time to the point before Mami and Kyouko became witches? I forgot whatever rules she had on her time leaping (if she had any).

Regardless I don't think you get what I'm saying. Homura never went back in time for the sake of anyone but Madoka. Like Fierce said, she's not completely indifferent to the other girls, but they are certainly not a priority for her even though she spent time with them as well.

Homura being "strong" is kind of up for debate. Is she "strong" because she tries to change fate or is she just an obsessive person who won't face reality? Regardless of the impact it has on the universe and how helpful her actions are for kyubey, she would keep doing it anyway. Sure you can say she has a lot of devotion, but I don't think necessarily means she's a strong person. Sayaka's case is a little different. That girl basically gave up everything she wanted by becoming a magical girl, she was essentially tricked the most. Homura gave up nothing by becoming a magical girl, it just let her be with Madoka more. So in a sense, she got exactly what she wanted in comparison. Not only that but also it's shown by Mami that as long as magical girls have something to fight for, they won't give into despair. Sayaka had nothing to fight for, it was inevitable for her to get into despair. For some reason Kyouko never gives into despair either, perhaps because her life as a magical girl is still better than it was when she was a kid so she really doesn't care either way.

Actually upon thinking about it...how did Kyouko not give into despair? She was all alone and she had the worst past. I guess we'll just have to say she was stronger than the other girls probably (because even as confident as Mami seemed, it was apparent she would give into despair one day without Madoka's support).

I agree that her actions in this movie are no different then her previous actions. Hence why I said she lacks development. She basically is willing to do any insane thing for Madoka's sake. It's pretty much made her delusional by this point (not unexpected after so many time repeats).

I didn't miss your point. You've either missed or ignored mine, which is that HOMURA KNOWS THAT EVEN WITH HER TIME TRAVEL POWERS IT IS AT BEST USELESS AND MORE LIKELY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE TO GO TO THE SAME LENGTHS FOR PEOPLE SHE DIDN'T MAKE HER WISH FOR, SO THERE IS NO ARGUMENT TO BE MADE FROM HER NOT DOING WHAT SHE KNOWS TO BE OF NO USE.

What's this about Sayaka giving up more? Neither had any clue what making the contract entailed, and Sayaka thought it meant she and Kyoske could be happily ever after. Homura wasn't 'spending time with Madoka' by the time we get to the series. She had given up on being friends and was accepting that Madoka would view her as an enemy. Homura lived a combination of Groundhog Day, the existence of Sisyphus, and the life of Cassandra for 100 month, being alone in knowing the truth with no one believing her, being forced to relive the same tragedies 100 times, being looked upon as a monster by her former friends who don't remember her. No one else goes through anything that compares to that.
sunofdarkchildJan 14, 2014 6:39 AM
Jan 14, 2014 7:24 AM

Aug 2008
So what? Is she just trying to help the other magical girls because they would help her defeat the walpurgisnacht and nothing else? That would make her pretty heartless if that was the case. If that was the case that would give her more of a reason to go back in time everytime she screwed up with one of them. It's been established that she can't beat the walpurgisnacht alone and she seems to always be fighting it alone or only with Madoka. I mean if her soul purpose is to prevent Madoka from contracting then it makes her pretty heartless as well because it means she doesn't care what the walpurgisnacht does to the town...there is no way for her to beat it without the other magical girls or without Madoka. I mean I think the peak of her being a person that denies reality is when she actually tries to fight it in the last episodes all by herself. In which she already knows, and has already experienced, that she cannot win. The most we can say is she is a stubborn fool at this point.

Obviously she is obsessive otherwise. Because everything she's doing is pointless if she's already accepted the fact that she can't save Sayaka or any of the other girls. So really, it's even more counterproductive not to go to the same lengths to save them as Madoka. I mean if it all goes with her wish of "helping Madoka not contract" then it's all good in the end either way. Hopefully she wouldn't think like that though.

Sayaka received literally nothing for her wish. Only despair that she ruined her life. Homura was at least given a chance to save her loved one (or so she thought). See Homura is probably the only magical girl who was given a reason to fight. The others only fight because for the sake of their own survival (until the point with Madoka with Mami). That's a pretty big difference. She has "hope" to hang onto, so I don't think there's ever any reason for her to give into despair. There is no hope for the other 3 girls, their lives were essentially destroyed by becoming magical girls. Especially Kyouko. Not only did her wish give her nothing but pain but actually hurt the person she used the wish for the most. Like said, I dunno how she didn't give into despair...it doesn't even make any sense when you think about it.

I also don't really buy that "no use for going to the same lengths of people she didn't use her wish for." If that was the case then Mami would have no reason to team up and support Madoka as her wish only dealt with her own survival. It would also mean that Kyouko would have no reason to support Sayaka as her wish had nothing to do with her either. I don't think their wishes are as much of an ultimatum like you think they are. They can still be human and make human decisions regardless of what their wish involved.

Funny enough Homura's biggest problem is...she has no social skills lawl. So she isn't able to convince the other magical girls of whats going on in any reasonable fashion.
hyperknees91Jan 14, 2014 7:57 AM
Jan 14, 2014 8:56 AM
Dec 2013
Mami wanted Madoka to contract because she did not know what Homura knew. And what happened the moment she stopped fighting out of fear of dying, since her wish was to live? She got her head bitten off. What happens when Kyoko tries to help Syaka? They both die. The whole series happens because Kyubei doesn't tell the girls the vast majority what being a magical girl actually entails, so they don't know. Right before she dies Kyoko tells Homura she was right all along.

Did you really just say that someone stuck in a timeloop of constantly repeating the same tasks tragedies has no reason to despair? That is one of the worst fates man can imagine for himself, which is why the myth of Sisyphus was created in the first place. And what's waiting for her if she manages to get out of the loop? Not a happy-ever-after with Madoka. It's either death or turning into a witch. And Homura knnows that too. She knows that every step she takes toward her goal is another step towards her end. And like Harry Potter with the horcruxes she presses on regardless of that knowledge.

As for the difference between Homura and Syaka. Syaka got her wish fulfilled to the letter. She wasn't prepared for the consequences, but she got exactly what she asked for. Homura never got her wish. She gave up everything for something she did not get and which seemed forever out of reach. Syaka had a reason to fight, to be the kind of hero she thought Mami was. She couldn't handle it being something other than heroic, just like Mami.

It is true that Homura has a lack of social skills, but that wouldn't help her convince the others that the creature that gave them their wishes and their powers first removed their souls and is also plotting to turn them into the very monsters they are fighting. These things are so horrible and clash with their preconceptions so much that they cannot be believed without first being seen.
Jan 14, 2014 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
hyperknees91 said:
So what? Is she just trying to help the other magical girls because they would help her defeat the walpurgisnacht and nothing else? That would make her pretty heartless if that was the case. If that was the case that would give her more of a reason to go back in time everytime she screwed up with one of them. It's been established that she can't beat the walpurgisnacht alone and she seems to always be fighting it alone or only with Madoka. I mean if her soul purpose is to prevent Madoka from contracting then it makes her pretty heartless as well because it means she doesn't care what the walpurgisnacht does to the town...there is no way for her to beat it without the other magical girls or without Madoka. I mean I think the peak of her being a person that denies reality is when she actually tries to fight it in the last episodes all by herself. In which she already knows, and has already experienced, that she cannot win. The most we can say is she is a stubborn fool at this point.

Obviously she is obsessive otherwise. Because everything she's doing is pointless if she's already accepted the fact that she can't save Sayaka or any of the other girls. So really, it's even more counterproductive not to go to the same lengths to save them as Madoka. I mean if it all goes with her wish of "helping Madoka not contract" then it's all good in the end either way. Hopefully she wouldn't think like that though.

Sayaka received literally nothing for her wish. Only despair that she ruined her life. Homura was at least given a chance to save her loved one (or so she thought). See Homura is probably the only magical girl who was given a reason to fight. The others only fight because for the sake of their own survival (until the point with Madoka with Mami). That's a pretty big difference. She has "hope" to hang onto, so I don't think there's ever any reason for her to give into despair. There is no hope for the other 3 girls, their lives were essentially destroyed by becoming magical girls. Especially Kyouko. Not only did her wish give her nothing but pain but actually hurt the person she used the wish for the most. Like said, I dunno how she didn't give into despair...it doesn't even make any sense when you think about it.

I also don't really buy that "no use for going to the same lengths of people she didn't use her wish for." If that was the case then Mami would have no reason to team up and support Madoka as her wish only dealt with her own survival. It would also mean that Kyouko would have no reason to support Sayaka as her wish had nothing to do with her either. I don't think their wishes are as much of an ultimatum like you think they are. They can still be human and make human decisions regardless of what their wish involved.

Funny enough Homura's biggest problem is...she has no social skills lawl. So she isn't able to convince the other magical girls of whats going on in any reasonable fashion.

While Homura doesn't go to the same lengths to save the other girls as she does to save Madoka, she does try to keep them alive because she knows she needs them to beat Walpurgisnacht. She only becomes antagonistic towards Mami when she keeps her from killing Kyubey and because Mami is leading Madoka and Sayaka down the path of becoming magical girls. Homura advises Sayaka not to contract because she knows that in every timeline Sayaka becomes a witch. Let's not forget that she immediately saves Sayaka's life after Madoka throws her soul gem off the bridge.

She allies with Kyoko in order to beat Walpurgisnacht and saves her from Octavia. Probably would've killed Octavia the second time around if Kyoko hadn't made it clear that she was going to suicide kill them both. At the end of The Different Story manga, Sayaka, Homura, and Madoka all go to fight Walpurgisnacht yet they still fail. So we really don't know if they could beat Walpurgisnacht even if everyone was alive.

Point being, Homura was trying to save the others as well because she knew it gave them a better chance against Walpurgisnacht, although even saving everyone doesn't guarantee victory. Homura really is fighting a battle that she can't win, so I suppose you could call her foolish. She kept going for so long cause she knew her only other option was to give into despair and become a witch.
Jan 14, 2014 11:13 AM

Aug 2008
sunofdarkchild said:
Mami wanted Madoka to contract because she did not know what Homura knew. And what happened the moment she stopped fighting out of fear of dying, since her wish was to live? She got her head bitten off. What happens when Kyoko tries to help Syaka? They both die. The whole series happens because Kyubei doesn't tell the girls the vast majority what being a magical girl actually entails, so they don't know. Right before she dies Kyoko tells Homura she was right all along.

Did you really just say that someone stuck in a timeloop of constantly repeating the same tasks tragedies has no reason to despair? That is one of the worst fates man can imagine for himself, which is why the myth of Sisyphus was created in the first place. And what's waiting for her if she manages to get out of the loop? Not a happy-ever-after with Madoka. It's either death or turning into a witch. And Homura knnows that too. She knows that every step she takes toward her goal is another step towards her end. And like Harry Potter with the horcruxes she presses on regardless of that knowledge.

As for the difference between Homura and Syaka. Syaka got her wish fulfilled to the letter. She wasn't prepared for the consequences, but she got exactly what she asked for. Homura never got her wish. She gave up everything for something she did not get and which seemed forever out of reach. Syaka had a reason to fight, to be the kind of hero she thought Mami was. She couldn't handle it being something other than heroic, just like Mami.

It is true that Homura has a lack of social skills, but that wouldn't help her convince the others that the creature that gave them their wishes and their powers first removed their souls and is also plotting to turn them into the very monsters they are fighting. These things are so horrible and clash with their preconceptions so much that they cannot be believed without first being seen.

For one Mami only got her head bitten off in that timeline. She was alive way after that event in all the other time lines. I have no idea why it went down like that in that time line. Probably because of Homura though (good job homura). I think that's pretty self serving logic that just because the other 2 started to serve someone else that their wish didn't involve their fate was to die (plus Kyoko doesn't die trying to save Sayaka in one timeline, Mami kills her). I wouldn't be surprised if Homura just said that to convince herself what she's doing is the right way, but in the end it doesn't really matter. If she tries to save Madoka (who her wish involves) she's gonna die regardless (or keep turning back time until she turns into a witch, whichever comes first). So that logic kinda falls apart right there.

Not saying being stuck in a timeloop doesn't suck. But she's kind of doing it to herself. She basically self screwed herself over. Regardless it doesn't take away from the fact that she still has hope. Like you said, the second she loses that hope, she would probably turn into a witch. Doesn't make her that much different then the other girls if that's the case (well outside of Kyouko who doesn't seem to care either way). And how was Homura's wish not even fulfilled? Her only wish was to go back to the time her and Madoka met and that's exactly what happened.

BTW does Homura even...have a plan at all? I mean her plan should be pretty much be to MAKE sure the other girls survive somehow. If she screws up she should go back. So why in the world would she not go back after Mami first got killed? I mean she pretty much lost the battle the second that happened.

To me it doesn't even seem like she does anything different across time lines unlike Okabe...I mean...how in the world did she think she could possibly win the second Mami died (considering she's the strongest one, it would be most preferrable to have her strength for the battle). Unless of course, her only goal is to keep Madoka from contracting and she doesn't care what the walpugisnacht does.
hyperknees91Jan 14, 2014 11:45 AM
Jan 23, 2014 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
I felt like the movie detracted from the character development of the series. Like the posters said, Homura had already gone over Madoka and was willing to move on and cherish her memory.

Here in the movie we learn that her promise and resolve shattered in what? Six months? Then she goes all obsessive stalker. I know its part of her character to be obsessed but she was finally developing in the end.

Also trust the Madoka that lived in your Barrier and that you weren't even sure was the real deal over the Madoka's that sacrificed themselves. Sure that one knows better. Felt like a cheap excuse to negate Madoka's wish and hypocricy when she said that she wouldn't tolerate anyone that mocked Madoka's sacrifice.

Madoka too had finally found her reason to fight and now she's back to square one, or worse as she has essentially become Moemura 2.0.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plot wise Homura finally defeated the Incubators which was good but it felt kinda forced you know?
Jan 23, 2014 4:05 PM

Aug 2013
hyperknees91 said:
sunofdarkchild said:

For one Mami only got her head bitten off in that timeline. She was alive way after that event in all the other time lines. I have no idea why it went down like that in that time line. Probably because of Homura though (good job homura). I think that's pretty self serving logic that just because the other 2 started to serve someone else that their wish didn't involve their fate was to die (plus Kyoko doesn't die trying to save Sayaka in one timeline, Mami kills her). I wouldn't be surprised if Homura just said that to convince herself what she's doing is the right way, but in the end it doesn't really matter. If she tries to save Madoka (who her wish involves) she's gonna die regardless (or keep turning back time until she turns into a witch, whichever comes first). So that logic kinda falls apart right there.

Not saying being stuck in a timeloop doesn't suck. But she's kind of doing it to herself. She basically self screwed herself over. Regardless it doesn't take away from the fact that she still has hope. Like you said, the second she loses that hope, she would probably turn into a witch. Doesn't make her that much different then the other girls if that's the case (well outside of Kyouko who doesn't seem to care either way). And how was Homura's wish not even fulfilled? Her only wish was to go back to the time her and Madoka met and that's exactly what happened.

BTW does Homura even...have a plan at all? I mean her plan should be pretty much be to MAKE sure the other girls survive somehow. If she screws up she should go back. So why in the world would she not go back after Mami first got killed? I mean she pretty much lost the battle the second that happened.

To me it doesn't even seem like she does anything different across time lines unlike Okabe...I mean...how in the world did she think she could possibly win the second Mami died (considering she's the strongest one, it would be most preferrable to have her strength for the battle). Unless of course, her only goal is to keep Madoka from contracting and she doesn't care what the walpugisnacht does.

The problem is that Mami is too fragile and is prone to siding with Kyubey. Homura actually has it really hard as she has to prepare for Walpurgisnacht, prevent Madoka from Contracting and do both of those things while trying to give the least information to Kyubey which also is everywhere and always watching.

That alien is too dangerous the more information he has as we saw in the series.

Homura's struggle is well presented, and I felt even though what happened in Rebellion makes sense, she took a turn for the worst.
Jan 23, 2014 4:21 PM

Aug 2008

The problem is that Mami is too fragile and is prone to siding with Kyubey. Homura actually has it really hard as she has to prepare for Walpurgisnacht, prevent Madoka from Contracting and do both of those things while trying to give the least information to Kyubey which also is everywhere and always watching.

That alien is too dangerous the more information he has as we saw in the series.

Homura's struggle is well presented, and I felt even though what happened in Rebellion makes sense, she took a turn for the worst.

I'm aware it's a problem. I mean her task is pretty hard, but it still doesn't make sense how she could possibly think they could beat it without Mami. If the PSP game is relevant for anything (and since it was overlooked by urobutcher it probably is) the only way they beat it is with all 4 of them.

To me it doesn't even seem like she has a plan at all. She just kinda...does stuff and hopes it works.
Jan 23, 2014 5:21 PM

Aug 2013
hyperknees91 said:

I'm aware it's a problem. I mean her task is pretty hard, but it still doesn't make sense how she could possibly think they could beat it without Mami. If the PSP game is relevant for anything (and since it was overlooked by urobutcher it probably is) the only way they beat it is with all 4 of them.

To me it doesn't even seem like she has a plan at all. She just kinda...does stuff and hopes it works.

I agree with you on her flawed plans. As someone mentioned before (I don't know if it was you, sorry if that's the case) she is awful socially and hasn't really beat her introversion. One of her character flaws in the series is that Homura has never considered being socially capable as something useful due to pride, her hyperindependency or fear of being rejected. That coupled with how the others react to the truth has made her ditch that idea and substitute it with more dakka.

She might have tried it before but if it was like timeline 3, I'm sure she was left without desire to do that again. Besides, getting emotionally attached makes it easier for her to fall into despair when the others die and she may have thought it not worth the danger (which to me is a mistake).

Its one of the things that made her more human, and one of the flaws I actually liked in her character. Unlike the yandere ones.

Agree with the PSP game thing, she needs all four alive and she needs Madoka uncontracted to win (and maybe even then she can't win without Madoka...).
Jan 23, 2014 6:08 PM

Aug 2008
Well yeah I wouldn't necessarily call it a complaint as much as I was just questioning the logic behind her actions. Thanks for putting it into perspective though, that makes sense.

But yeah like I said before, she really needs to work on her public speaking haha.

Pretty much agree with all of your opinions on this movie btw.
Feb 13, 2014 4:23 PM

Jul 2013
About the selfless part.

I just finished the movie and what I don't understand is, is the Madoka at the flower bed the essence of the real Madoka or just a fake Madoka that Homura created in her little labyrinth. If it is a fake it seems like she's pretty much just arguing with herself to justify what she was planning to do later.

And not just Madoka, what about Sayaka and all the other characters. Are they the real deal or fakes. I understand that at the end of the tv series all the other characters got brought back to life in the new world but Sayaka still ended up vanishing.
Feb 14, 2014 4:47 AM

Mar 2012
ihusmal1234 said:
About the selfless part.

I just finished the movie and what I don't understand is, is the Madoka at the flower bed the essence of the real Madoka or just a fake Madoka that Homura created in her little labyrinth. If it is a fake it seems like she's pretty much just arguing with herself to justify what she was planning to do later.

And not just Madoka, what about Sayaka and all the other characters. Are they the real deal or fakes. I understand that at the end of the tv series all the other characters got brought back to life in the new world but Sayaka still ended up vanishing.

The Madoka in the Homuras barrier is the real one who gets trapped when she initiates the Law of Cycle and gets her with her memories of being Madokami forgotten, Sayaka and Nagisa were brought with Madokami, to stop Kyubey's plan, think of them as Madokami's angels. Kyoko, Mami, Junko, Tomohisa, Tatsuya, Kazuko, Hitomi and Kyousuke are all real and were brought into Homuras's barrier by her familiars. The rest of the civilians are fake though. This all clearly shown in the film though.
Feb 14, 2014 10:54 AM

Jul 2013
ElPysCongroo said:
ihusmal1234 said:
About the selfless part.

The Madoka in the Homuras barrier is the real one who gets trapped when she initiates the Law of Cycle and gets her with her memories of being Madokami forgotten, Sayaka and Nagisa were brought with Madokami, to stop Kyubey's plan, think of them as Madokami's angels. Kyoko, Mami, Junko, Tomohisa, Tatsuya, Kazuko, Hitomi and Kyousuke are all real and were brought into Homuras's barrier by her familiars. The rest of the civilians are fake though. This all clearly shown in the film though.

Thanks for clearing that up. So in the new universe Madokami comes to cleanse the magi girls before turning into witches and they get carried over to Madoheaven. Now I see how Nagisa was there and what that last scene meant in the tv series with Sayaka and Madoka at Kyouske's performance.

One last thing though, how did Madoka get trapped in the first place? Was it the incubator's work or Homura? After she figured everything out, didn't Homura decide to turn into a witch inside the isolation field to prevent MadoKami of ever reaching her so the incubators can't have the opprtunity of trying to control her? What about the real Madoka that was already in Homura's barrier?
Feb 14, 2014 1:34 PM

Aug 2013
ihusmal1234 said:
ElPysCongroo said:
ihusmal1234 said:
About the selfless part.

Thanks for clearing that up. So in the new universe Madokami comes to cleanse the magi girls before turning into witches and they get carried over to Madoheaven. Now I see how Nagisa was there and what that last scene meant in the tv series with Sayaka and Madoka at Kyouske's performance.

One last thing though, how did Madoka get trapped in the first place? Was it the incubator's work or Homura? After she figured everything out, didn't Homura decide to turn into a witch inside the isolation field to prevent MadoKami of ever reaching her so the incubators can't have the opprtunity of trying to control her? What about the real Madoka that was already in Homura's barrier?

Its a little contrived but from what I got, Madoka as the Law of Cycles goes inside the Soul Gems of every Mahou Shoujo and cleanses them before taking them to her magical girl heaven. Whether she gives them one last "happy dream" like she did with Sayaka in episode 12 or only takes them away is unknown.

Kyubey used his hyperalien magical tech to trap Homura's corrupt Soul Gem before Madokami could purify it, thus preventing it from corrupting further and because it couldn't crack like a normal Soul Gem, Homura created a barrier inside her soul instead of outside. The Incubators outside that Homura and Madoka blew up with their bow were supposedly controlling and monitoring the process.

Madokami went to free Homura's Gem and took Sayaka and Nagisa to help her. I still don't get who got the "bright" idea of having Madoka lend her memories temporarily to Sayaka and Nagisa but apparently Madoka wanted to avoid using her goddess powers until Homura could be freed. I still don't get how that makes sense though so I can't explain it more clearly.

And Homura hoped that after turning witch Mami and Kyoko that were dragged by Homura to the barrier could kill her witch and thus free Madoka. If they failed though I suppose only that small piece of Madoka would be trapped or she could recover her memories and blow apart Homura's witch form.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1043 by Asuska »»
May 1, 5:57 PM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.