Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2013 1:49 AM
Mar 2013
Hey, I was writing a manga but my co-writer bailed on me. I got the basis of the story down tho.... Anyone interested in writing a new Manga or something? I need a creative outlet and I love anime so why not this? If you have skype and mic that would help so we can talk while we brain-storm.

P.S. I am new to MAL so even if you don't want to write it be cool to meet some fellow anime-lovers! =]
Mar 2, 2013 4:00 AM

Nov 2012
I have a feeling this will end very well, I will be watching this topic closely.

Also, what sort of manga is it? And do you have someone to draw it?

LE: No answers... disappointed
iSalaiMar 2, 2013 4:07 AM

Mar 2, 2013 4:10 AM
Mar 2013
It is futuristic fantasy with a dark feel. And no I do not have anyone to draw unfortunately. Hoping this threat helps with that.

Thanks for the support! =]
Mar 2, 2013 8:32 AM

Dec 2011
I had same situation, my pen-friend i "know" 5 years + made up story, and i was supposed to draw, i practiced and all , story gone well, had some cool designs , and he bailed, and just disappeared... pu**y

I can't atm, sry, now college preparations got me ,gl with 'name', i'll watch this top for sure ;)
Mar 2, 2013 2:51 PM

Apr 2012
>I do not have anyone to draw unfortunately

Then what are you doing?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Mar 2, 2013 4:39 PM

Dec 2011
Well maybe he doesn't know how to draw, place panels,and divide them, organize pages, backgrounds, perspective, proportions, style .. list goes forever
Mar 2, 2013 4:40 PM

Sep 2012
If you can't draw it, write a novel.
Mar 2, 2013 4:41 PM

Jun 2007
If you have no artist why the hell don't you just write it as a book instead of a manga?
Mar 2, 2013 10:13 PM
Mar 2013
Because a manga is what I want to write. There reason there are communities like this is so like minded people can talk about anime, watch anime together, or help each other out. I am learning to draw but if I can find someone who already knows how it only serves to help.

Thanks for the responses, though they were mainly negative.
Mar 2, 2013 10:20 PM

Feb 2010
what do you know i'm working on one to :D
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 2, 2013 10:23 PM

Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
If you have no artist why the hell don't you just write it as a book instead of a manga?

Well I've read plenty of stories with separate author and artists. It all depends on how the author wants to portray their story.
Mar 2, 2013 10:51 PM
Mar 2013
hazerddex said:
what do you know i'm working on one to :D

Really? What is yours going to be about? Do you have any need for a co-writer?

Edefrem said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Well I've read plenty of stories with separate author and artists. It all depends on how the author wants to portray their story.

Exactly! =]
Mar 2, 2013 10:54 PM

Sep 2012
Then TetsuRokku, write out and finish the story first, and then find an artist.
Mar 2, 2013 11:08 PM
Mar 2013
I am working on my story, but I have high hopes for this idea and I don't want to mess it up. I would like to start on another idea with someone so I can get a little more familiar with manga writing.

btw, forgot to put my skype at the top.

Mar 2, 2013 11:22 PM

Jun 2007
TetsuRokku said:
I am working on my story, but I have high hopes for this idea and I don't want to mess it up. I would like to start on another idea with someone so I can get a little more familiar with manga writing.

Writing manga and writing a novel aren't really all that different - it's just that when put into the format of a manga you can remove some details because now they'd be drawn and thus don't need to be in text. However, you'd still NEED THOSE DETAILS in order for them to be drawn in the first place so there's not much of a difference. The worst possibility is you write too detailed for things you could skimp on (as it'll be drawn) and, wow, you wasted a whole 3 minutes writing it. So what? The outcome will still be ten times better for it.

It seems like you're not really taking writing seriously, and thinking like that will make it so nothing you ever write will be any good. If you think it's easy you're probably doing a terrible job of it, even if you're just writing for some hopeful future comic of yours. You may want to try writing the story out simply for your own good - plus that way you're more likely to get someone to draw it as well, especially if it's not written poorly and is actually interesting or entertaining. So many people go and say they got "good ideas" for a story, game, book, comic, whatever and then too late they realize they can't write for shit or don't know what to do WITH those ideas and everyone wasted all their time for nothing. From that, almost nobody will be willing to help unless you've already written a damn lot or finished writing entirely.

So your very best bet is to deal with it and just write it - hell, if you really want to make it "manga ready" so badly then write it like a screenplay. In that case you only shortly detail settings, actions (well, in depth for any important stuff), and so on, with the focus being on everything that isn't going to be drawn.
TallonKarrde23Mar 2, 2013 11:27 PM
Mar 2, 2013 11:37 PM
May 2012
Write a novel instead
Mar 2, 2013 11:55 PM

Dec 2012
TetsuRokku said:
I do not have anyone to draw unfortunately. Hoping this threat helps with that.

You should check some manga drawing clubs or websites then to get an illustrator
Mar 3, 2013 12:29 AM
Mar 2013
TallonKarrde23 said:
TetsuRokku said:

Writing manga and writing a novel aren't really all that different - it's just that when put into the format of a manga you can remove some details because now they'd be drawn and thus don't need to be in text. However, you'd still NEED THOSE DETAILS in order for them to be drawn in the first place so there's not much of a difference. The worst possibility is you write too detailed for things you could skimp on (as it'll be drawn) and, wow, you wasted a whole 3 minutes writing it. So what? The outcome will still be ten times better for it.

It seems like you're not really taking writing seriously, and thinking like that will make it so nothing you ever write will be any good. If you think it's easy you're probably doing a terrible job of it, even if you're just writing for some hopeful future comic of yours. You may want to try writing the story out simply for your own good - plus that way you're more likely to get someone to draw it as well, especially if it's not written poorly and is actually interesting or entertaining. So many people go and say they got "good ideas" for a story, game, book, comic, whatever and then too late they realize they can't write for shit or don't know what to do WITH those ideas and everyone wasted all their time for nothing. From that, almost nobody will be willing to help unless you've already written a damn lot or finished writing entirely.

So your very best bet is to deal with it and just write it - hell, if you really want to make it "manga ready" so badly then write it like a screenplay. In that case you only shortly detail settings, actions (well, in depth for any important stuff), and so on, with the focus being on everything that isn't going to be drawn.

I am writing it as a screen play, and I have gone on websites and found people to read it because I do enjoy feedback. Not sure how you can judge my work not having read it tho. I have also written the history and background of the characters and story line, as well as character profiles.

Objurgo said:
TetsuRokku said:
I do not have anyone to draw unfortunately. Hoping this threat helps with that.

You should check some manga drawing clubs or websites then to get an illustrator

I have done that. Gone on deviantART.com to find artists. Right now I am just looking for a writer tho, to maybe start a new story with. A fresh idea.
Mar 3, 2013 12:32 AM
Mar 2013
TallonKarrde23: Also, I never said it was easy. I have been working on it for a while and I agree it is pretty hard.
Mar 3, 2013 10:44 AM

Feb 2013
I get that you are writing this for manga and it fits the medium (of course, you can always tweak it for a book). However, why do you need a writer? I feel you need an artist more than a writer (if you are still going with the manga idea). It's hard to cultivate ideas, yes, easier for some, but they'd just be going through pretty much the same process as you.
I say, if you're a good/decent writer, do it yourself. It'd be more fufilling than just giving up and making someone else do it.

Take into account that if you do indeed go to a writer, there is the possibility that he'll run off with that idea of yours and take credit for it. Then again, anyone can do that, so be careful.
Mar 3, 2013 12:13 PM
Mar 2013
I am looking for someone to start a new story with. I find it useful to bounce ideas off of others. The manga I am currently working on will be my own. I think it will be useful to get some practice in. I will most likely be doing the writing, the other writer will be so we can bounce ideas off each other.
Mar 5, 2013 8:52 PM
Mar 2013
I'm going to add you on skype. I know a handful of artists if that's an issue.
Mar 7, 2013 2:06 PM
Nov 2011
I can't draw worth a damn but I could help you brainstorm with this idea or another. I love talking about anime and manga so if you want some help or you just wanna chat, send a message my way.
Mar 8, 2013 5:03 PM

Feb 2013
I myself have thought about making my own manga, but first I need some more training in drawing, but I have a great idea for manga/anime (at least I think so) but if my drawing skills will improve I would like to help out ^^

More topics from this board

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

7 by Vapor_AU »»
10 hours ago

» The Poetry thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheConquerer - Sep 17, 2015

220 by 707supremacist »»
11 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

18 by 707supremacist »»
11 hours ago

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Apr 25, 6:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.