Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 17, 2014 8:51 AM

May 2013
great_k said:
I understand why a lot of people do not like this show. It is different from the commercial, shonen influenced, brain dead crap that comprises most anime today. Even most seinen anime is full of shonen cliche's and results in very generic characters and battles in most anime.
Mahouka manages to rise above this.
The author has given us a really well constructed an detailed world.
Tatsuya is a non generic character. He does not fit the stereotypes of current anime leads.
I absolutely hate the fact that when a main lead character is actually moderately tactically astute and can actually compete in terms of skill with his enemies, people complain about him being overpowered.
Why dear god must we always have main lead characters that are always being beaten half to death and winning with battles with 1 move all the time.
My blood absolutely curdles when people talk about the genius of shows like Tokyo Ghoul, which at heart are built on the foundations of the same old shonnen cliche's.
For anyone who does not like this show, just go watch the other 90% of anime which are "paint by numbers" cliche's and leave shows with class like Mahouka alone please.

You made my day. xD
Mahouka is not rising above anything (OK maybe above Mahou Sensou) and is also full of shounen cliches (like MC having harem and being "underdog", absurdly powerful student council or quite pupular incest trope).
Tatsuya as MC maybe is not typical for animes (though there are likes of him e.g. Ousawa Akatsuki), but for sure he is typical for fanfics. And rather poor kind of fanfics... Also the fact, that he is not Orimura Ichika, doesn't make him well-developed character.

konatachan80 said:
forgiuse said:
Or just watch Hellsing and leave this shit in the dusk.

It is a while since I watched that series, but if I remember correctly I thought it was too "cartoony"
in lack of a better word. Iow, american cartoon style..which might be good for american cartoons, but
in my opinion, not really for anime. It is probably the reason why I don't really care for JoJo either.

I think he meant OVA, not the TV series.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Sep 17, 2014 9:14 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:
You made my day. xD
Mahouka is not rising above anything (OK maybe above Mahou Sensou) and is also full of shounen cliches (like MC having harem and being "underdog", absurdly powerful student council or quite pupular incest trope).
Tatsuya as MC maybe is not typical for animes (though there are likes of him e.g. Ousawa Akatsuki), but for sure he is typical for fanfics. And rather poor kind of fanfics... Also the fact, that he is not Orimura Ichika, doesn't make him well-developed character.
I think he meant OVA, not the TV series.

True, Akatsuki is quite similar to Tatsuya (or the other way around), but that type is so far between that at least I prefer them when comparing them to most other male MC's.

Well, he isn't underdog in the usual sense of the word, but it wasn't falsely claimed (to the viewers) that he were.
He kind of is an underdog when it comes to what he actually can do with his knowledge/power except
for the military and being used by the family (I think he said he'd be lucky to get a level C license). It
isn't like he didn't pay dearly, and not by his own choice. He probably would've wanted to be intact
emotionally (and I guess physically, although that would probably be because of the same).

Ichika..ouch. I can't say I like that guy much.

I think I watched Hellsing OVA too for some time, but they lost me at some point.
It looked better, but I think they kept some of what I complained about.
konatachan80Sep 17, 2014 9:17 AM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Sep 17, 2014 9:31 AM

May 2013
konatachan80 said:
True, Akatsuki is quite similar to Tatsuya (or the other way around), but that type is so far between that at least I prefer them when comparing them to most other male MC's.

Most other male MCs? There are plenty kinds of them. Do you watch only ecchi harem animes?

Well, he isn't underdog in the usual sense of the word, but it wasn't falsely claimed (to the viewers) that he were.
He kind of is an underdog when it comes to what he actually can do with his knowledge/power except
for the military and being used by the family (I think he said he'd be lucky to get a level C license). It
isn't like he didn't pay dearly, and not by his own choice. He probably would've wanted to be intact
emotionally (and I guess physically, although that would probably be because of the same).

Tatsuya is underdog, because, despite his showy performances, almost everyone is still underestimating him.

Ichika..ouch. I can't say I like that guy much.

But both Ichika and Tatsuya are examples of moving to far in character creation. They are just on other sides of axis.

I think I watched Hellsing OVA too for some time, but they lost me at some point.
It looked better, but I think they kept some of what I complained about.

Well, for me it didn't look like a cartoon.
Sep 17, 2014 10:15 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:
konatachan80 said:

Most other male MCs? There are plenty kinds of them. Do you watch only ecchi harem animes?

Hardly, I don't think there even exists as many of those as the number of series I've watched.
I've watched both ecchi and harem series, but they're not the majority.
Because of Tatsuya's shortcomings I don't label it as a harem, but a fake harem of sorts (no chance of "something" happening).

There are more than a few types, but most seems to be variations of the same old.
Btw, Akatsuki and Tatsuya type and variations isn't that uncommon in shoujo manga.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Sep 17, 2014 10:26 AM

May 2013
konatachan80 said:

Hardly, I don't think there even exists as many of those as the number of series I've watched.
I've watched both ecchi and harem series, but they're not the majority.

But outside of harem animes that kind of MC you recalled is rather rare. Can you name some examples?

Because of Tatsuya's shortcomings I don't label it as a harem, but a fake harem of sorts (no chance of "something" happening).

Well, almost every harem anime protagonist I've seen is dense as brick, so this argument is invalid. Even though Tatsuya is impotent he has acquired a bunch of following and praising him girls.[/quote]
Sep 17, 2014 10:47 AM

May 2014
Again the question for this thread is "Why do you like this show?" not "why you don't like this show?" or "do you like or hate this show?".We already have another thread for bashing.You are just derailing this thread jakkubus :p
Sep 17, 2014 10:55 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:
But outside of harem animes that kind of MC you recalled is rather rare. Can you name some examples?
Well, almost every harem anime protagonist I've seen is dense as brick, so this argument is invalid. Even though Tatsuya is impotent he has acquired a bunch of following and praising him girls.

I guess it sort of boils down to confidence and whether they behave whipped/scared of the opposite sex.

It appears it is easier to mention who's not (which I guess is one of the downsides with watching alot).
Oogami Rei (in the beginning) and Kazuma is also similar to Tatsuya/Akatsuki.

That's true, but a harem where the main is dense as a brick there is still a chance as unlikely as it may be, which makes it a bit different than none at all. But that's really a matter of definition.

So far I like this series, although it had a slow start. Having read all the translated mangaseries
beforehand was probably a plus in that regard..not so much as the LN, but it helps.
-- Lord fifth
Sep 17, 2014 11:32 AM
Jun 2014
darkreaperix said:
Again the question for this thread is "Why do you like this show?" not "why you don't like this show?" or "do you like or hate this show?".We already have another thread for bashing.You are just derailing this thread jakkubus :p

He's known for that ;) He thinks it's an enjoyable anime, yet keeps yelling what he personally think it is bad about the anime in every thread and even go off topic all the time by doing it here or other threads that isn't asking for that;) I call him now: "The Glorious Keyboard Basher" :D
Sep 18, 2014 3:54 AM
Sep 2014
jakkubus said:

You made my day. xD

There are a few cliches in this series, I agree but they are peripheral.
This series avoids the key cliches of
1. Character suddenly enters a world of fighting where he may have potential but lacks experience and is always struggling as a result.
2. Main character always has to fight people more powerful and skilled and them.
3. Typical fight of main character getting pounded and winning with a single blow, or just simply losing (because a capable male lead is a no go these days).
4. Tsundere lolis.
5. Main character gets beaten by girls for "lecherous behaviour"

There are elements of harem anime here but this natural as Tatsuya is an admirable and capable person. Girls dont fawn over him for silly reasons like orimura ichika.
I also agree that the student council is overpowered. I can understand that members like Jumonji and Mayumi are strong because they are heirs to houses of the 10 clans and as a result are held to extremely high standards where they are simply not allowed to lose to their peers. However when even Mari was able to take on Lu Gonghu, one of the most feared fighters in the world, the series did lose credibility.

Tatsuya is generally not an underdog. He only uses the amount of power necessary to get the job done so to not draw attention to himself. Even with the current locks on his power his abilities are more than enough to overwhelm most opponents if he wished. The underdog tag would only come from people not knowing the true depth of his abilities.

Tatsuya's IS a very interesting character. He has many faces like his Ooguro Ryuuya and Taurus Silver persona's. We are constantly learning new things about him like the nature of his classified magic, the restrictions placed on him, the experiments carried on him in his past, and the effects that has on his current personality. Plus there is the fact that he will eventually go against his aunt, the head of the Yotsuba, which will be very interesting. Just because he is not an emotionally loud character does not make him a dull character.
Sep 18, 2014 4:39 AM
May 2014
great_k said:

Tatsuya is generally not an underdog. He only uses the amount of power necessary to get the job done so to not draw attention to himself. Even with the current locks on his power his abilities are more than enough to overwhelm most opponents if he wished. The underdog tag would only come from people not knowing the true depth of his abilities.

If I remember correctly, he was ordered (mainly by his family) not to draw attention to himself.
I guess that is why he doesn't allow things that would raise his status etc to be attached
to his name (such as inventions).

Whatever skills he might possess they're known to a select few, and his _regular_ magic ability would
at best give him a level C license according to himself (due to how they're measured).
So on the regular market he'll probably be a bit of an underdog, not that it matters much atm.
-- Lord fifth
Sep 18, 2014 5:14 AM

May 2013
great_k said:
There are a few cliches in this series, I agree but they are peripheral.
This series avoids the key cliches of
1. Character suddenly enters a world of fighting where he may have potential but lacks experience and is always struggling as a result.
2. Main character always has to fight people more powerful and skilled and them.
3. Typical fight of main character getting pounded and winning with a single blow, or just simply losing (because a capable male lead is a no go these days).
4. Tsundere lolis.
5. Main character gets beaten by girls for "lecherous behaviour"

And why these aren't peripheral, but key cliches?
1. As befits Gary Stu, Tatsuya is already the most powerful guy in the world, but what is the point (other than wish-fulfillment) of that, if there are no worthy opponents or formidable challenges?
2. It was replaced with fanfiction cliche. No one can be even close to being as strong as protagonist.
3. Again bad fanfic cliche instead. MC never even breaks a sweat, because in terms of power he is in other league than his enemies, who not only are weaker, but for no reason are acting like mentally disabled.
4. Wait for Reminiscence Arc. It's mostly about tsundere loli.
5. That cliche is here, but author cannot allow something like that to scratch others opinion of perfect Oniisama. Instead of him Leo is the one, who is hitted.

In case of Mahouka avoiding popular cliches is like avoiding swamp by going through a volcano.

There are elements of harem anime here but this natural as Tatsuya is an admirable and capable person. Girls dont fawn over him for silly reasons like orimura ichika.

Tatsuya has charisma of a brick and personality of a toaster. Girls are falling for him for no apparent reason.

Like Wikipedia-san says: "An "underdog" is a person or group in a competition, usually in sports and creative works, who is popularly expected to lose." And Tatsuya, no matter what he does, is always underestimated by others. That is an underdog character.

Tatsuya's IS a very interesting character. He has many faces like his Ooguro Ryuuya and Taurus Silver persona's. We are constantly learning new things about him like the nature of his classified magic, the restrictions placed on him, the experiments carried on him in his past, and the effects that has on his current personality. Plus there is the fact that he will eventually go against his aunt, the head of the Yotsuba, which will be very interesting. Just because he is not an emotionally loud character does not make him a dull character.

I would rephrase it. Tatsuya is character with many masks, but no face. After the operation almost nothnig has effect on his personality. He isn't just quiet, but totally empty, while being infallible and omniscient. He is a dull character without any interesting traits.
About his aunt, there are not many chances for him going against her in near future.
Sep 18, 2014 5:31 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:

Tatsuya has charisma of a brick and personality of a toaster. Girls are falling for him for no apparent reason.

[/quote]
Well, strength, status, money and looks has always been very much appreciated qualities.
He fits at least one of them. And that (apparent) stoic personality probably don't shy people away.
-- Lord fifth
Sep 18, 2014 5:44 AM

May 2013
konatachan80 said:
Well, strength, status, money and looks has always been very much appreciated qualities.
He fits at least one of them. And that (apparent) stoic personality probably don't shy people away.

• Strength - Tatsuya is considered as a weak magician. From others perspective he just pulls some unexplainable tricks (and what is strange, no one tries to investigate him).
  • Status - Does being Weed from completely insignificant family counts? No one knows, that he is Yotsuba.
  • Money - His sister has money, not he.
  • Looks - He is described as mundane looking, so also nope.
Sep 18, 2014 6:04 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:

• Strength - Tatsuya is considered as a weak magician. From others perspective he just pulls some unexplainable tricks (and what is strange, no one tries to investigate him).
  • Status - Does being Weed from completely insignificant family counts? No one knows, that he is Yotsuba.
  • Money - His sister has money, not he.
  • Looks - He is described as mundane looking, so also nope.

Those that know him knows his strength is miles above what the tests say, but most obviously don't
know why. It was mentioned by that discipline-girl to others (two guys), that he defeated someone
that were previously undefeated and so on. So those that flocked to him doesn't necessarily have a
reason to believe he is weak. He's kind of proven that he isn't that weak time and time again.

However, outside those groups he'll obviously be regarded as weak (except for Haruka's group, 10MC, and a few others).

Oh, but you're wrong. Someone is/was investigating..
I think there was just a tiny hint was in the anime (Haruka and Fujibayashi), ep 23. 13:13
konatachan80Sep 18, 2014 6:26 AM
-- Lord fifth
Sep 18, 2014 6:12 AM

Jul 2014
@Jakkubus Can we take a small break and have you tell me more anime with characters like Tatsuya and Akatsuki? I agree with konatachan80, their type is very rare, I don't usually find these. And this isn't something restricted in harems, male mcs in genral aren't like that, I don't get where you get the idea from, that there's many of them around.
Sep 18, 2014 6:21 AM

Jan 2013
You cant convince people on mal that Strength and Skills dont count as character traits.

No matter how strong Tatsuya gets, he will never be interesting because he isn't fighting 24/7.

The rest of the time you are left with a floating object for the camera to follow.
Sep 18, 2014 6:26 AM

Jul 2014
SolviteSekai said:
You cant convince people on mal that Strength and Skills dont count as character traits.

No matter how strong Tatsuya gets, he will never be interesting because he isn't fighting 24/7.

The rest of the time you are left with a floating object for the camera to follow.

Tatsuya can be genuinely entertaining to watch, even outside battle.
Sep 18, 2014 6:27 AM

Jan 2013
WhipItGood said:
SolviteSekai said:

Tattsuya can be genuinely entertaining to watch, even outside battle.

Do you also enjoy watching towels dry?
Sep 18, 2014 6:35 AM

Jul 2014
SolviteSekai said:
WhipItGood said:

Tattsuya can be genuinely entertaining to watch, even outside battle.

Ok, here are a couple if instances of Tatsuya being entertaining to me.

Joking about actually being in relationship with his sister and making her spill spaghetti as well as the student council.

His interactions with Mikihiko.

Comments on Mikihiko x Mizuki.

Smugness when solving something, especially his casual smile at "oh look I made gravity go away" as he floats as if nothing goes on.

Teasing Mayumi once or twice, escpially when they were together in that room.

His rage-you're so getting decomposed now-face when he caught that guy tampering with his sister's cad.

Decomposing that guy after he gave him the info he was looking for -which sort of might count like battle, although eh, more like execution.

Then again, I don't know, you might have some awesome towels if they can do that.
Sep 18, 2014 6:37 AM

Jan 2013
WhipItGood said:
SolviteSekai said:

Ok, here are a couple if instances of Tatsuya being entertaining to me.

Joking about actually being in relationship with his sister and making her spill spaghetti as well as the student council.

Comments on Mikihiko x Mizuki.

Smugness when solving something, especially his casual smile at "oh look I made gravity go away" as he floats as if nothing goes on.

Teasing Mayumi once or twice, escpially when they were together in that room.

His rage-you're so getting decomposed now-face when he caught that guy tampering with his sister's cad.

Decomposing that guy after he gave him the info he was looking for -which sort of might count like battle, although eh, more like execution.

Then again, I don't know, you might have some awesome towels if they can do that.

arent almost all of these harem cliches?
Sep 18, 2014 7:13 AM

May 2013
WhipItGood said:

Yaoi?

WhipItGood said:
@Jakkubus Can we take a small break and have you tell me more anime with characters like Tatsuya and Akatsuki? I agree with konatachan80, their type is very rare, I don't usually find these. And this isn't something restricted in harems, male mcs in genral aren't like that, I don't get where you get the idea from, that there's many of them around.

You,re right. So extreme cases of Mary Sue/Gary Stu are rather rare. But there is a bunch of characters not so badly builded as Tatsuya or Akatsuki e.g. Sora, Ryner Lute, Yagami Kazuma, Yagami Light, Sakamaki Izayoi, Inaho Kaizuka, Kazehaya Kamito, Kusanagi Godou, Kujo Jotaro or Kirito.
Sep 18, 2014 7:36 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:
You,re right. So extreme cases of Mary Sue/Gary Stu are rather rare. But there is a bunch of characters not so badly builded as Tatsuya or Akatsuki e.g. Sora, Ryner Lute, Yagami Kazuma, Yagami Light, Sakamaki Izayoi, Inaho Kaizuka, Kazehaya Kamito, Kusanagi Godou, Kujo Jotaro or Kirito.

Sora was quite good (as long as he stays with his sister).
Ryner is (kind of) whipped.. Somehow he's more on the ground than anything else thanks to his female "partner".
Kirito is rather insecure (when he's not fighting), especially towards females.
Izayoi, he was good.
Yagami Kazuma, he was good.
Kusanagi Godou, well.. he isn't bad, but not really good either.
Yagami Light, can't say I liked him much.
Kujo Jotaro, don't care for that series (that cartoon was too annoying to finish even the first series).
konatachan80Sep 18, 2014 7:45 AM
-- Lord fifth
Sep 18, 2014 7:46 AM

May 2013
konatachan80 said:
Kirito is rather insecure (when he's not fighting), especially towards females.

Never seen it. It rather looks, that Sinon is more insecure towards him.

Yagami Light, can't say I liked him much.

Me too. I watched Deathnote mostly to see his fall.

Kujo Jotaro, don't care for that series (that cartoon was too annoying to finish even the first series).

Why is it cartoon?
Sep 18, 2014 7:51 AM
May 2014
jakkubus said:

Why is it cartoon?

I label it as that because of the drawing style, especially those "I'm sorry, I have to remind you this is a cartoon" moments (NGNL referenced it using the same kind of art).
I didn't care for Redline either.
-- Lord fifth
Sep 18, 2014 7:54 AM
May 2008
Wikipedia-san said:
Anime (Japanese: アニメ?, [anime]; English /ˈænɨmeɪ/) are Japanese animated productions usually featuring hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation

JoJo is anime.
Sep 18, 2014 7:55 AM

Aug 2008
forgiuse said:
great_k said:
I understand why a lot of people do not like this show. It is different from the commercial, shonen influenced, brain dead crap that comprises most anime today. Even most seinen anime is full of shonen cliche's and results in very generic characters and battles in most anime.
Mahouka manages to rise above this.
The author has given us a really well constructed an detailed world.
Tatsuya is a non generic character. He does not fit the stereotypes of current anime leads.
I absolutely hate the fact that when a main lead character is actually moderately tactically astute and can actually compete in terms of skill with his enemies, people complain about him being overpowered.
Why dear god must we always have main lead characters that are always being beaten half to death and winning with battles with 1 move all the time.
My blood absolutely curdles when people talk about the genius of shows like Tokyo Ghoul, which at heart are built on the foundations of the same old shonnen cliche's.
For anyone who does not like this show, just go watch the other 90% of anime which are "paint by numbers" cliche's and leave shows with class like Mahouka alone please.

Or just watch Hellsing and leave this shit in the dusk.

Well,there is a good reason why so many people complaining about Tatsuya OPness while nobody or hardly anyone complain about Alucard OPness. Alucard easily put Tatsuya to Hall of Shame.

Tatsuya's emotionless personality,doesn't hesitate to kill is similar to Hei from Darker than Black. Both Tatsuya and Hei also hide their identity. And of course,Tatsuya an OP MC,beating and owning weaker bad guys can be found in Alucard. Both Alucard and Tatsuya are restricted from using their strength. Tatsuya fought for his sister Miyuki while Alucard fought for his master,Integra.

Tatsuya is the result you get when you combine a downgrade version of Hei and downgrade version of Alucard. The selling point of Shiba Tatsuya is nothing new/original and already been done by other authors before. Been there,done that, seen it all. Perhaps,that's the reason why I don't found Tatsuya interesting.

If I watch Mahouka before Darker than Black and Hellsing Ultimate, maybe I will found Tatsuya original,refreshing and interesting.
ZapredonSep 18, 2014 8:37 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 18, 2014 9:04 AM
Jun 2014
Zapredon said:

If I watch Mahouka before Darker than Black and Hellsing Ultimate, maybe I will found Tatsuya original,refreshing and interesting.

So what you're stating here is that Darker than Black and Hellsing are original and don't have any traits from older animes?? If what you're stating here is what you really mean, then you're a genius my friend ;)

EDIT: I suggest that you also need to rewatch the anime. Tatsuya's personality comes from different circumstances. He has no emotion, because of his mother. He kills people and look at things from a "logical" perspective, because he has no emotions and only kills people who forms a threat for Miyuki. Miyuki is in danger, then kill the person to prevent the danger. He hides his personality, because of the circumstances with the army, Shiba and Miyuki. It's all simple as that. Another thing is that no one can really take you serieus if you only look from a perspective that wants to bash Mahouka :)
TKMikeSep 18, 2014 9:09 AM
Sep 18, 2014 9:57 AM

Jul 2014
SolviteSekai said:

arent almost all of these harem cliches?

Uhm, no? I guess 1 and 5 are related to harem tropes, but they're played the opposite way from what is cliche in a harem anime.
Sep 18, 2014 10:15 AM

May 2014
TKMike said:

He's known for that ;) He thinks it's an enjoyable anime, yet keeps yelling what he personally think it is bad about the anime in every thread and even go off topic all the time by doing it here or other threads that isn't asking for that;) I call him now: "The Glorious Keyboard Basher" :D

How can he enjoy an anime and still point out everything about is as bad? :heh

Maybe someone can make a "why do you hate this show" thread?
Sep 18, 2014 10:30 AM
Jun 2014
darkreaperix said:

Yeah I know and I'm also questioning if what he writes is what he truly means :( He's contradicting himself everytime hahaha, that's also one of the reason why it's enjoyable to read his comments everytime :'D But his dedication to hate this anime(even though he has stated multiple times that he enjoys this anime and the points he has pointed out has been many times discussed already :s) is admirable, because he still doesn't give up. I myself wouldn't have the time or use my time to be so dedicated to keep hating this anime :(

This is what he has stated most recently, dunno where the others are.
Enjoyable, that's right word to describe Mahouka. It has a lot of flaws, but it is still enjoyable.

Dunno if he's like this towards other animes too that are in his opinion "enjoyable", since his 9 ranked animes has many flaws too that are personal opinions like what he's stating all the time :')
Sep 18, 2014 1:24 PM

Dec 2010
Tatsuya being badass is the only reason why people watch this show (me included)
Sep 18, 2014 6:49 PM

Aug 2008
TKMike said:
Zapredon said:

So what you're stating here is that Darker than Black and Hellsing are original and don't have any traits from older animes?? If what you're stating here is what you really mean, then you're a genius my friend ;)

EDIT: I suggest that you also need to rewatch the anime. Tatsuya's personality comes from different circumstances. He has no emotion, because of his mother. He kills people and look at things from a "logical" perspective, because he has no emotions and only kills people who forms a threat for Miyuki. Miyuki is in danger, then kill the person to prevent the danger. He hides his personality, because of the circumstances with the army, Shiba and Miyuki. It's all simple as that. Another thing is that no one can really take you serieus if you only look from a perspective that wants to bash Mahouka :)

Oh,I won't be surprised if Darker than Black and Hellsing have similar trait with older anime,but what I'm saying is the selling point. If you could point out which older anime characters has similar selling points to Hei from Darker than Black and Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate,I wouldn't mind listening(not sure if I will enjoy those older anime since I probably seen DtB and Hellsing first even though those older anime are older).

Doesn't matter what is his circumstances because it doesn't justify anything. The end result is,his selling point is the same and has been done before. If someone fail his exam,then you are not going say it because he did not study to justify his failure. If someone is fat,you are not going to say it because he eat a lot to justify his fatness. Or you find someone ugly,you are not going through all the genetic that he/she got from their parents to justify ugliness. Tatsuya,whatever circumstances he been through,he is not original character. That's all. It as simple as that.

EDIT: I think I've went off topic because this thread is suppose to be about why people like this show. Posted it in 'What is peoples problem with this anime?' thread instead. Continue there?
ZapredonSep 18, 2014 10:47 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 18, 2014 7:13 PM

Jul 2014
forgiuse said:
Cupquake said:

No one does really. I sure don't.

Sep 18, 2014 7:20 PM

Jan 2013
people on mal will watch

LITERALLY ANYTHING

if it has self insert mc and has kung fu scenes.

literally anything.

Even tokyo ghoul has a +8 rating despite its entire fanbase hating it.
Sep 18, 2014 7:59 PM
Oct 2012
darkreaperix said:

Just because something is flawed doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it. Honest critiques are the best ones, it takes loving something to be able to best point out the flaws in that thing. And in pointing these out, generally this leads to a better understanding of it.

"Why they hate it" is far too easy to justify a thread. There are two major reasons:
1) This show is not PC. That Tatsuya doesn't put flowers into the GAA muzzles is enough for some people to hate it.
2) Many Chinese still have an inferiority complex. While I do not blame any person who is leery of any sign of Japanese militarization (Japan really is the last country in the world I would want to have the bomb - while I love Japan, having a solid chain of command that is accountable is not a Japanese thing), there is a difference between vigilance and mindless hatred. Most of the criticisms directed at this show fall into the latter, not the former.
Sep 19, 2014 11:08 AM

May 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
darkreaperix said:

Just because something is flawed doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it. Honest critiques are the best ones, it takes loving something to be able to best point out the flaws in that thing. And in pointing these out, generally this leads to a better understanding of it.

Nah,problem with jakk is he is contradicting himself,he said even though he hated the characters he enjoys the setting and world building and then bash the world building and setting a few days later.And he practically hates the show in his every post now,everything in it,so I can;t compare him to someone like you who is just criticizing the series for it's flaws but still find it enjoyable.
Sep 19, 2014 8:32 PM
Oct 2012
darkreaperix said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Nah,problem with jakk is he is contradicting himself,he said even though he hated the characters he enjoys the setting and world building and then bash the world building and setting a few days later.And he practically hates the show in his every post now,everything in it,so I can;t compare him to someone like you who is just criticizing the series for it's flaws but still find it enjoyable.

If he is contradicting himself then that would make him a dishonest critic. Honest criticism requires a certain consistency of vision, you should be able to state what you dislike, and then if the show improves that thing one should be honest about it. Shifting back and forth and contradicting oneself is a sign that there is something else at play in the person's mind outside of the show itself: whether it is their image that they are better than the masses or the show offends their morality or whatever, they cannot objectively view the show because they are fixated on something external. Now this doesn't mean that they are necessarily wrong, rather that they are not being an honest critic of the show.
Sep 20, 2014 1:23 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:

On the other hand you have problem with reading and understanding. I only said, that I enjoy some parts of setting (mostly magic), not that I adore it as a flawless whole.
It still has stupid points like replacing technology with magic. Of course I understand, that magic is superior, but mostly not due to firepower, that could be recreated by technology. The power of Mahouka spells is in their mechanisms. Rupture, Niflheim and Meteor Stream are unstopable due to how they work. The same with Phalanx. But abilities of Mayumi, Mari or Lu Gonghu can be replaced by advanced guns or augmentations.
Sep 20, 2014 1:24 AM

Jan 2011
I'm insulted that you suggest I like this dribble, even I have standards.
Sep 20, 2014 1:46 AM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
If he is contradicting himself then that would make him a dishonest critic. Honest criticism requires a certain consistency of vision, you should be able to state what you dislike, and then if the show improves that thing one should be honest about it. Shifting back and forth and contradicting oneself is a sign that there is something else at play in the person's mind outside of the show itself: whether it is their image that they are better than the masses or the show offends their morality or whatever, they cannot objectively view the show because they are fixated on something external. Now this doesn't mean that they are necessarily wrong, rather that they are not being an honest critic of the show.

The problem with Mahouka is that it doesn't improve. Those things, which were good (magic system, art, sound) at beginning, are still good and those, which were horrible (plot and character development), are still horrible.
Sep 20, 2014 12:22 PM

Aug 2012
This thread has been derailed since the first reply.

There are plenty of reasons to like this show. There are plenty of reasons to not like this show. It all depends on people's personal tastes. Some people like shows such as Accel World, but for me that show made me want to throw up every time Haru was on the screen. Comparatively speaking, I would much rather watch someone like Tatsuya play the role of MC than someone as pathetic as Haru. It's simply because when I watch a character who is that embarrassing, it makes me cringe.

But this thread is about what people like about the show. Maybe one of you guys should make a thread called, "Let's all bitch and whine about this show even though we're watching it."
Sep 20, 2014 8:07 PM

Aug 2013
Iner7ia said:
Maybe one of you guys should make a thread called, "Let's all bitch and whine about this show even though we're watching it."
A thread like that is completely unnecessary considering almost every thread for the most part in this section is basically that. Bitch and whine non stop.

Oh so boring, too much magic talk while there is no action.

Action begins : Oh no! Tatsuya is op wah, wah ,wah

Other characters fight : WTF? Who are these plebs? Where is Godsuya?
Sep 21, 2014 12:25 AM

Jun 2014
I watch the series because:

1) I'm fond of it's scientific and methodical approach to the concept of "magic" and how they explain it, even if it gets a bit long-winded at times.
2) I like Tatsuya's aloof and semi-detached nature, but my favorite aspect to his character is how well-spoken he is. His dialogue and interactions with other characters was one of the initial draws for me. Admittedly, however, I may be displaying some signs of self-insert-ism here.
3) The fight choreography has been pretty good thus far, ranging from good to decent and never dipping below that quality, so that's something.
4) The supporting cast, one of my favorite parts of this series(Particularly, Erika, Leo, and Juumonji). I feel this series has quite a few interesting characters with interesting powers and abilities, so that also served as a reason to keep me watching.
5) I'm a sucker for for "school-life" mixed with action in a series. Again, more possible self-insertion
6) The first opening.

Granted, I'm not very far into the series, so my opinions could very easily change and I could possibly pick up additional likes/dislikes along the way. I'm already not very fond of the incestuous romance between the leads, although Miyuki forcing herself on Tatsuya in yandere-fashion was pretty lulzy. And Tatsuya's Magic is not only broken, but it's also boring as hell.
Sep 21, 2014 1:54 AM
Jul 2014
forgiuse said:
Cupquake said:
How dare you not liking THE adaptation of the second coming.
Sep 21, 2014 3:07 AM

Aug 2011
why i should not like this show?
Sep 21, 2014 3:24 AM
Jun 2014
hafiyfiy said:
why i should not like this show?

Going offtopic here boy?
Sep 21, 2014 5:53 AM

Aug 2014
I like it because it restored my faith in god.

FoxfireSep 21, 2014 7:42 PM
Sep 21, 2014 12:13 PM

Aug 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
A thread like that is completely unnecessary considering almost every thread for the most part in this section is basically that. Bitch and whine non stop.

Oh so boring, too much magic talk while there is no action.

Action begins : Oh no! Tatsuya is op wah, wah ,wah

Other characters fight : WTF? Who are these plebs? Where is Godsuya?

True, but if they made that thread then maybe all the other threads could actually become relevant to their topics.

I think it's pretty funny though. They all hate the long explanations, and then they hate the action because (spoiler alert) the protagonist wins!!! OH NO! But yet even after saying all that, they still watch the show and even go into the forums section to complain about it. LOL. I have this thing where I don't watch shows I don't like. Kinda weird huh.

For me, although I like the action and dialogue -- I think that part of what keeps me interested in the show is wanting to know more about Shiba and Miyuki. Everyone likes to label Shiba as being this flat and boring character, but he seems to have an interesting background. When I have a chance I'll read the LNs.
Sep 21, 2014 12:28 PM

Aug 2014
Welp I thought that the Light Novel was average or decent and as for the anime well even before the anime started airing I had initial doubts due to how much material there was to cover from the LN and lord behold I was right on the money. They had to cut a ginormous amounts of content from three arcs and stuff them in 26 episodes. As for why I like this show or the series? I do and at the same time I don't so I guess you can say I have mixed feelings.
Sep 21, 2014 7:29 PM

Apr 2012
I watch this show when I have trouble writing essays. It reminds me that I can at least write better than the retard who made this show.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
Today, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.