Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 19, 2014 7:41 PM
Jul 2014
So I've started watching FMA:B probably about 2 months ago, I then stopped to study for exams and I returned some time after, watched about 10 episodes, then stopped again to watch other anime... So what bugs me is the following, it's not like I don't enjoy the series, I'm liking it so far, but I just keep thinking it doesn't live up to the reputation, at least from my perspective. If the anime finished were I am now (episode 34), I'd probably rate it 6/10 or 7/10 at maximum. Is there anything wrong with me? Am I missing something about the series? I don't know

It's easy to see how much I like a particular series by the consistency of my behaviour watching it, usually when I like an anime (and that applies to movies or TV series) I keep watching it and only stop if I finish a full season or the anime stops for a while... The fact I preferred to go watch other anime instead of FMA:B shows I'm not that interested, even though I still find it enjoyable, not just so good as the overall rating given by fans.

I'm on episode 34, should I keep watching? does it get better?
TyrelJul 19, 2014 8:19 PM
Jul 19, 2014 7:43 PM

Mar 2014
Usually finishing a series helps.
Jul 19, 2014 7:43 PM

Jul 2012
I think you should finish it. It's one of those series that have a full story.

But, are you rating based on objectivity or enjoyment? Because, its plot is objectively very well written and complex.
Jul 19, 2014 7:44 PM

Feb 2013
well, what specifically aren't you diggin about the show?
Jul 19, 2014 7:46 PM

Jul 2011
No, drop it and move on
Jul 19, 2014 7:46 PM

Jun 2014
Yes, you finish it; the last handful of episodes is so much better than the rest. If Brotherhood were half as long as it is, and still had the same plot and everything, I would have scored it 9/10
Jul 19, 2014 7:56 PM
Jul 2014
So people seem to be asking questions about my position regarding FMA:B. To sum it up, I'm liking the series so far, it's just not getting my attention overly enough for me to consider it an excellent anime like most people do, I mean FMA:B gets high ratings and is recommended by most anime fans so I was expecting an anime better than Death Note and Code Geass (the first two anime I've watched), but until now I don't consider it anywhere near both. I still like the main character and some plot aspects and complexity, so I'll watch it to the end.
Jul 19, 2014 7:59 PM

Jul 2013
Bad taste.

Opinions are opinions. If you don't like it as much as DN or CG, then that's that.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.

Jul 2011
Blackout_94 said:
I was expecting an anime better than Death Note and Code Geass

It's better than both

Dec 2012
I don't know either. It seems decent but nothing amazing. Just a 7/10.

But it seemed to have pleased the masses for some reason.

mayukachan said:

But, are you rating based on objectivity or enjoyment? Because, its plot is objectively very well written and complex.

Stop it please. You have no idea what you are talking about. There is not such thing as an objectively well written plot, it will always be subjective.
Jul 19, 2014 8:06 PM
Jul 2014
tsudecimo said:
I don't know either. It seems decent but nothing amazing. Just a 7/10.

But it seemed to have pleased the masses for some reason.

mayukachan said:

Stop it please. You have no idea what you are talking about. There is not such thing as an objectively well written plot, it will always be subjective.

I didn't question the plot wasn't good, it is, maybe I'm not very fond of the characters, the thematics or the whole alchemy stuff
Jul 19, 2014 8:10 PM

Apr 2014
Praland said:
No, drop it and move on

pretty much this.
Jul 19, 2014 8:13 PM

Feb 2013
its not gonna be any better at end
just drop it if u dont like.
Jul 19, 2014 8:15 PM

Dec 2012
Blackout_94 said:

I didn't question the plot wasn't good, it is, maybe I'm not very fond of the characters, the thematics or the whole alchemy stuff

Yeah I wasn't fond of the characters too. Most of them were meh, and uninteresting. Didn't find ray mustang to be cool, and Edward was just annoying.

The alchemy was a unique concept that I didn't see before, but it didn't mange to grab my attention, because I didn't care for the ways it was used during the series. The themes weren't impressive, the one about equivalent exchange, actually gets contradicted later iirc. The themes about human sins is overdone already. There is basically nothing that I found memorable or impressive/amazing about the series, and that was when I first started anime, and was easier to please.

Well it's obviously up to you, whether or not you think the series is worth continuing. I recommend Hunter x Hunter (2011) over it. It's much much better than FMA it's not even worth comparing.
Jul 19, 2014 8:18 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Moved
Jul 19, 2014 8:18 PM
Jul 2014
tsudecimo said:
Blackout_94 said:

Yeah I wasn't fond of the characters too. Most of them were meh, and uninteresting. Didn't find ray mustang to be cool, and Edward was just annoying.

The alchemy was a unique concept that I didn't see before, but it didn't mange to grab my attention, because I didn't care for the ways it was used during the series. The themes weren't impressive, the one about equivalent exchange, actually gets contradicted later iirc. The themes about human sins is overdone already. There is basically nothing that I found memorable or impressive/amazing about the series, and that was when I first started anime, and was easier to please.

Well it's obviously up to you, whether or not you think the series is worth continuing. I recommend Hunter x Hunter (2011) over it. It's much much better than FMA it's not even worth comparing.

Thanks, I'll probably watch a few more episodes, if it really doesn't get my attention I'll just quit it. Is there any difference if I watch the original FMA?

I'm planning on seeing Hunter X Hunter 2011, Monster and Steins Gate any time soon
Jul 19, 2014 8:20 PM

Jun 2013
Form your own opinion. If you can't watch it then don't... you don't have to ask someones permission for dropping an Anime every time.....
Jul 19, 2014 8:23 PM

Jul 2013
Blackout_94 said:
I'm planning on seeing [...] Monster

I'd recommend reading the manga if it can be helped. Even though the anime's sound and whatnot do a better job at creating atmosphere, the manga is way faster.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jul 19, 2014 8:24 PM

Apr 2013
Sigh
why do so many people think others care about their ratings?
having an unpopular opinion won't earn you cookies.

lol and years of literary criticism getting disregarded by people who wouldn't know a good plot if it hit them in the face, better leave thread before I lose more brain cells.
Jul 19, 2014 8:28 PM

Dec 2012
Salxer said:

lol and years of literary criticism getting disregarded by people who wouldn't know a good plot if it hit them in the face, better leave thread before I lose more brain cells.

Yeah better do, since what you are posting is off topic and basically spam, and can be interpreted as baiting.

Blackout_94 said:

Thanks, I'll probably watch a few more episodes, if it really doesn't get my attention I'll just quit it. Is there any difference if I watch the original FMA?

Yeah there is difference. Brotherhood is faithful to the manga, while FMA 2003 goes anime original (I don't when)
Jul 20, 2014 4:51 AM
Jul 2014
Thanks for all the answers, I'll probably watched it until the end for two reasons. First I dislike dropping anime (the same can be said for films and TV series) even if I'm not loving it, and secondly the last episodes kind of made me curious about the upcoming events so I want to know what happens.

The only anime I dropped was Trigun, and yes I found it boring and uninteresting, no bashing intended.
Jul 23, 2014 7:36 PM
Jul 2014
Well it seems like I suddenly got more into FMA:B after the Elric brothers went into the Briggs fortress. I am now curious to see how the story will progress and what will happen, I'm hoping to see some glorious deaths. I still don't think it deserves the rating it gets, but perhaps an 8 if it keeps going like this would be good.
Jul 25, 2014 4:02 PM
Jan 2013
Maybe you should stop judging something halfway through? To the question whether there is something wrong with you: Yes there is. You are an grasping for attention - if you don't like the series move on. If you want to finish it and then see if it's good go ahead. God. Annoying.
Jul 26, 2014 5:54 PM
Jul 2014
hoootie said:
Maybe you should stop judging something halfway through? To the question whether there is something wrong with you: Yes there is. You are an grasping for attention - if you don't like the series move on. If you want to finish it and then see if it's good go ahead. God. Annoying.

Hold your horses. First I posed the topic some days (or a week?) ago. Second I was merely asking people's opinion, sometimes when there is something everybody loves and you don't seem to get it you feel there is something wrong with you. No need to call me an attention seeker, I guarantee I was not looking for it, that's not even the reason I jointed MAL. I joined the community to discuss

And yeah the series is starting to get really interesting and I want to know how it ends, so I will gladly finish it.
Jul 26, 2014 5:58 PM

Apr 2014
It's safe to say that if you don't like it by now, it's probably not gonna get any better. I guess people just find it odd, because it is unusual for people to dislike it. But still it comes down to personal preference :)

More topics from this board

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

133 by Angel_crush1 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.