Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2014 6:45 AM
Feb 2014
What are the things that you think make an anime generic? What are some anime that you think are generic? Are generic anime still good to watch? Or should generic anime not be made anymore?
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 22, 2014 6:48 AM

Jan 2012
fma brotherhood is generic
main chars have a sad story,they meet other sad characters and inspire them with their bs sad story...then the plot kicks in and the bad guys appear who get defeated by the main chars helped by all the characters they encountered
Feb 22, 2014 6:51 AM

Mar 2008
It surely depends from what mountain you stand on, but i'd say K was incredibly generic despite the huge cast and its attempt at being 'stylish'.

renders said:
Let the world burn, here comes the storm.
Feb 22, 2014 6:52 AM

Mar 2012
The way viewer view it.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 22, 2014 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
I guess generic = unoriginal, or uninteresting.

There's not much else to say, really.
Feb 22, 2014 6:56 AM
Nov 2013
Asap_ said:

I think that way too. Things like Code Geass, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Clannad and Nisekoi are good examples.
Feb 22, 2014 6:58 AM

Jan 2013
renders said:

Some people just wanna watch the world burn..

Anyways, I think 'generic' means 'cliched' or something like that. You won't get anything new from a story point of view in generic anime. Like most mainstream anime have a pretty predictable plot.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 22, 2014 7:07 AM

Aug 2012
clichés
Feb 22, 2014 7:11 AM

Mar 2012
renders said:
Well it's about as good as generic gets. Still miles better than generic shows like Highschool DxD.
Feb 22, 2014 7:11 AM

Jan 2014
Common returning tropes, an unoriginal setting and cliche characters (in personality AND looks).
Feb 22, 2014 7:12 AM

Oct 2013
Cliches. Like in most shounens... Eg: "fight-lose-train-win" formula to progress the characters and plot.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Feb 22, 2014 7:13 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
ecchi anime that doesn't even try to be sexy in any way but rather just plasters oversized breasts wherever possible
Feb 22, 2014 7:14 AM

Apr 2013
Using tropes and cliche's that everyone and their dog has seen.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 22, 2014 7:17 AM

Jul 2011
When you can know effortlessly what it's gonna happen next.
Feb 22, 2014 7:18 AM

Jan 2014
If people who've never watched it say it is.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 22, 2014 7:19 AM

Jun 2008
Something that has no uniqueness whatsoever. Filled with tropes and cliches we've seen in many different shows already. Runs the same gags.
I find most harem and to an extent slice-of-life to be described as generic. There's just way too many of them, with similar settings, characters, plot or lack of plot.

Being generic can still be entertaining. Mostly when you have nothing better to watch, that is.
Feb 22, 2014 7:26 AM

Sep 2010
Tachii said:
Something that has no uniqueness whatsoever. Filled with tropes and cliches we've seen in many different shows already. Runs the same gags.
Feb 22, 2014 7:26 AM

Feb 2013
>What are the things that you think make an anime generic?
lacking in originality

>What are some anime that you think are generic?
Nisekoi and Super Sonico from this season; lots of the stuff i rated below 8

>Are generic anime still good to watch?
how else are you going to raise your powerlevel

>Or should generic anime not be made anymore?
you can never have enough to choose from; besides, everyone has their own definition for generic-ness, and every anime ever has people who rated it 9 or 10
Feb 22, 2014 7:29 AM

Jul 2011
romagia said:
lacking in originality

you can never have enough to choose from; besides, everyone has their own definition for generic-ness, and every anime ever has people who rated it 9 or 10

You know theres an actual quote function here right?

Generic is generic. Generic can still be gud.
Feb 22, 2014 7:30 AM

Feb 2013
slaydere said:
romagia said:
lacking in originality

You know theres an actual quote function here right?

Generic is generic. Generic can still be gud.

cba to manually quote every question
you know you used circular reasoning right?
Feb 22, 2014 7:30 AM

Jan 2014
All anime are generic to some extent. If you think this one anime is totally different from the rest, it just means you don't watch enough anime.
Feb 22, 2014 7:32 AM

Jul 2011
wanderingplayboy said:
All anime are generic to some extent. If you think this one anime is totally different from the rest, it just means you don't watch enough anime.

Even Inferno Cop?
Feb 22, 2014 7:54 AM

Jan 2014
pralan said:
wanderingplayboy said:

Even Inferno Cop?

Never watch Inferno Cop, but according to the site listing tropes, it has quite many tropes.
According to this definition:
Tachii said:
Filled with tropes and cliches we've seen in many different shows already.

Yes... to some extent.
Feb 22, 2014 8:11 AM

Oct 2013
wanderingplayboy said:
pralan said:
wanderingplayboy said:

Even Inferno Cop?

Never watch Inferno Cop, but according to the site listing tropes, it has quite many tropes.
Tachii said:

Yes... to some extent.

I'd disagree. The only reason shows are generic in the first place is because there have been shows that have done such things beforehand. Now how does this equate to me disagreeing? Anime had to start somewhere right? Shows such as marmalade boy,orange road, and the like were when anime had just been kick-started in the nineties (imo). Of course because new shows have similar antics to them as older shows, this makes our perception of older shows as stale. In reality they're the ones that brought fresh ideas to the industry. Luckily there are things in these older shows that aren't reused as often as one would think. The match making toys I don't think has been used in a show in like forever. This to me gives shows like boys over flowers/ marmalade boy a certain charm that no other series has.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Feb 22, 2014 8:43 AM

Feb 2014
This is 2014... Hardly anything will be original and ALL of them will have cliches/tropes.. Not saying it can't be done but the chances are slim.. Kill la Kill is a weird(but good) anime but Its like the movie The Tuxedo with Jackie Chan and one hot chick.. And stuff like the life fibers are similar to Venom from Marvel Comics

You can fine anything now and pair it up with something similar from any source of entertainment not just anime

Go to Tropestv and you'll see originality has left this planet years ago.. But IMO that's not really a bad thing
Feb 22, 2014 8:58 AM

Jan 2014
7thVoid said:

I'd disagree. The only reason shows are generic in the first place is because there have been shows that have done such things beforehand. Now how does this equate to me disagreeing? Anime had to start somewhere right? Shows such as marmalade boy,orange road, and the like were when anime had just been kick-started in the nineties (imo). Of course because new shows have similar antics to them as older shows, this makes our perception of older shows as stale. In reality they're the ones that brought fresh ideas to the industry. Luckily there are things in these older shows that aren't reused as often as one would think. The match making toys I don't think has been used in a show in like forever. This to me gives shows like boys over flowers/ marmalade boy a certain charm that no other series has.

Maybe it's because (especially in MAL), we often see phrase 'generic anime' as an insult. Since I don't think generic as something bad, I also don't say generic is equal with unoriginality. It just means there is something in common no matter who's the first or who follows who.

Also, reuse doesn't mean it has the same exact topic. If X is a show about a guitarist fell in love with an angel, Y is a show about ukulele player fell in love with a fairy... they still share the same theme about "musician fell in love with magical being" eventhough romance anime featuring ukulele might be new (...I'm not sure about this).
Feb 22, 2014 9:02 AM

Nov 2013
It happens primarily in school anime, but I detest the whole swimming/cultural festival episode which occurs EVERY time. It just makes me sigh whenever they crop up. I know they're trying to keep it traditional and within the tried/tested to succeed theme but it gets a bit tiresome. Especially when the cultural festival is ALWAYS the pinnacle or beginning of some sort of drama/build up. I just can't anymore.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 22, 2014 10:03 AM

Aug 2013
Originality is what you copy without remembering you've seen that done already.

How many stories have been written so far? You will hardly find a production that won't be using a feature or anything related that has been already used in other stories. It's easier for innovation to come from its development than from its premise.

Genericness though, is when the whole story is involved in clichés with no attempt to bring something slightly different, or less commonly seen in the medium, into it whatsoever.
Feb 22, 2014 10:43 AM

Oct 2010
Rather than the use of clichés and tropes, I'd point at the lack of personality.
Feb 22, 2014 10:55 AM

Apr 2013
Rashkolnikov said:
Asap_ said:

I think that way too. Things like Code Geass, Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko, Clannad and Nisekoi are good examples.

I wish Code Geass was generic... That would mean there'd be plenty of shows like it, but sadly that's not the case.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 22, 2014 10:57 AM

Feb 2014
The majority of the users on MAL would say that battle shounen are generic.
I think you'd look lovely with your wrists slit.
Feb 22, 2014 10:57 AM

Jun 2013
Cliches, cliches everywhere.
Boring, unoriginal characters
Boring, unoriginal plot
Basically SoL in a nutshell
Prime example is K-On!
This doesn't meant that they are bad though.
Feb 22, 2014 11:02 AM

Dec 2012
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

Ughhh..
Feb 22, 2014 11:08 AM

Oct 2010
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Boring, unoriginal plot
Prime example is K-On!

And yet, you are a Cowboy Bebop fan.
Feb 22, 2014 11:11 AM

Jun 2013
jal90 said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Boring, unoriginal plot
Prime example is K-On!

What makes Bebop generic?
Most SoL shows are pretty much the same thing with a few differences. They all have generic plots, what makes them interesting are the characters, which unfortunately are the same thing a lot of the time.
Feb 22, 2014 11:12 AM

Oct 2010
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
jal90 said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Boring, unoriginal plot
Prime example is K-On!

Well, it has a SoL narrative.
Feb 22, 2014 11:15 AM

Jun 2013
jal90 said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
jal90 said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Boring, unoriginal plot
Prime example is K-On!

Well, it has a SoL narrative.

Having a narrative makes it generic? That's a common story telling element in almost all forms of media. Also it's not a SoL type show.
Feb 22, 2014 11:26 AM

Jun 2008
wanderingplayboy said:
pralan said:
wanderingplayboy said:

Even Inferno Cop?

Tachii said:

Yes... to some extent.
I think I need to clarify. Having many tropes doesn't automatically define the show as generic. It's whether or not the same tropes are used in these similar type of shows. An unique mix of uncommon tropes can still make the show unique. At the end of the day though, this is becoming more semantics.

I use the word mostly in a neutral tone.
Feb 22, 2014 11:31 AM

Jan 2014
renders said:
main chars have a sad story,they meet other sad characters and inspire them with their bs sad story...then the plot kicks in and the bad guys appear who get defeated by the main chars helped by all the characters they encountered

relatively generic compared to the original.
But significantly less generic than the other generic shonen.

OT: When it does the same thing over and over. Or have generic characters, and by that I mean shallow characters with simple motivations that can only be differentiated by name, design (or it can be generic-looking as well if that's absent) or a gimmick.

They follow linear, over-used plotline in the same fashion as any had before them, having executed them in a not so different way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2014 11:34 AM

Oct 2012
Reliance on tropes and cliches and cutout settings and characters.

Feb 22, 2014 11:40 AM

Feb 2014
shadedclan said:
What are the things that you think make an anime generic? What are some anime that you think are generic? Are generic anime still good to watch? Or should generic anime not be made anymore?

Well, If generic anime wont be made anymore, we wont have many anime at all.
If I should believe in God. I should also believe in the tooth fairy. The bible is man made. It was Made by bearded men to try and control people with their beliefs. Off topic. No anime can even come close to Nana. :P

Feb 22, 2014 11:42 AM

Oct 2013
wanderingplayboy said:
7thVoid said:

Maybe it's because (especially in MAL), we often see phrase 'generic anime' as an insult. Since I don't think generic as something bad, I also don't say generic is equal with unoriginality. It just means there is something in common no matter who's the first or who follows who.

Also, reuse doesn't mean it has the same exact topic. If X is a show about a guitarist fell in love with an angel, Y is a show about ukulele player fell in love with a fairy... they still share the same theme about "musician fell in love with magical being" eventhough romance anime featuring ukulele might be new (...I'm not sure about this).

I understand that generic is a basic term that means no harm. I was merely stating the perception of a show and it's originality isn't determined by such tropes and cliche's. Rather they've been forced together into groups because of such things even though they have their own uniqueness. Especially older series.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

Feb 22, 2014 11:47 AM

Jan 2010
A lack of ambition. Super safely-made anime that are just "okay." They don't try to do anything special and there's nothing technically "wrong" with them, since they just go through the same stuff that have been proven to work before.
Feb 22, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2013
Depends on you. Pretty much everything ever made is generic depending on how you look at it. It's a coming-of-age story? Generic. It has a conventional narrative structure? Generic. Characters have tragic backstories? Generic. It's episodic? Generic. Everything is 'generic' if you look at it a certain way.

As for me, it comes down to the details. Most stories have structures that have already been used to death. It's the details that matter.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 22, 2014 12:05 PM

Jan 2012
judals said:
renders said:

OT: When it does the same thing over and over. Or have generic characters, and by that I mean shallow characters with simple motivations that can only be differentiated by name, design (or it can be generic-looking as well if that's absent) or a gimmick.

They follow linear, over-used plotline in the same fashion as any had before them, having executed them in a not so different way.

wrong it's pretty safe and generic compared to good shounens like one piece or hunter x hunter
you can tell fma it's made by a woman since they don't seem to grasp the action shounen very well
Feb 22, 2014 12:14 PM

May 2013
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

wrong it's pretty safe and generic compared to good shounens like one piece or hunter x hunter
you can tell fma it's made by a woman since they don't seem to grasp the action shounen very well

Explorations of morality, horrors of science, religion, sin, redemption, etc. are pretty heavy topics for a shonen, and far beyond anything One Piece has tried to do (though I still think its a very good manga).
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Feb 22, 2014 12:18 PM

Oct 2013
MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

Explorations of morality, horrors of science, religion, sin, redemption, etc. are pretty heavy topics for a shonen, and far beyond anything One Piece has tried to do (though I still think its a very good manga).

This. It's all about substance and how well you make it work. In my mind there are shows that have a uniqueness that others before and after it couldn't reciprocate.

Feb 22, 2014 1:55 PM

Dec 2012
For me generic-ness is more about the execution. Even if your story has unoriginal and cliched elements, if it does something different or new and uses them differently in a way that you haven't seen before it ceases to be generic anymore.

Hell, even if I have seen it done before, if I like how it's done, then it's still entertaining to see it again even if it's unoriginal or cliched.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 22, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
renders said:
Well it's about as good as generic gets. Still miles better than generic shows like Highschool DxD.

This.
Feb 22, 2014 1:59 PM

Sep 2013
Tropes and cliches are different from generic. Generic is when an anime just doesn't do anything. It has no ambition or aims and just sort of sits there.

MrAM said:
renders said:
judals said:
renders said:

Amen. Hiromu Arakawa is awesome. And who cares about the regular manga, her bonus comics kick ass.
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does it ever annoy you how a lot of series just never seem to end?

purple_rayn - 12 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
48 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

261 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Name your two favorite anime from your 2 least favorite genres/themes, and two least favorite of your most favorite genres/themes

Daviljoe193 - Yesterday

25 by trinitroglycerin »»
1 minute ago

» Best anime from Disney+?

Spunkert - 19 minutes ago

4 by Ratris_Decision »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together?

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

22 by Spunkert »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.