Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 12, 2017 10:10 AM
Jul 2014
Nayrael said:
Ending XI: Dusty Desert Trail

----------------------------------------------------------------

Where is the "road of whatever" ending LOL, that's one of the biggest ones and you didnt mention it LOL

Road to Carulean Sky? Isn't that one of the Chapter 3 endings? Those endings will be posted once the series ends.

By far my favorite ending. Cal and Reiji don't kill each other. That's all I wanted.
Sep 12, 2017 10:11 AM

Jul 2008
Ugh, all the images disappeared. Maybe I should remake this post on tumblr and link to it there. May even include the remastered images.
Sep 16, 2017 11:29 AM

Sep 2014
Hi! I'm after watching anime and I was unfulfilled of path that anime was going. I mean, Elen was for me the last one I would choose. I was courious about another routes and I come here. Thank your for tl:dr alternative endings and truly I love the most Reiji x Cal. Now when I have read thier happy ending I'm gladly and can walk to another anime without bitterness after watched this one.
Thank you for your work!
A bit sad that I can't saw the imagies, but still thank a lof of for telling me about Reiji x Cel routes (aswell Clau & Mio).
Apr 17, 2018 12:48 PM

Aug 2014
Xaven said:
Hi! I'm after watching anime and I was unfulfilled of path that anime was going. I mean, Elen was for me the last one I would choose. I was courious about another routes and I come here. Thank your for tl:dr alternative endings and truly I love the most Reiji x Cal. Now when I have read thier happy ending I'm gladly and can walk to another anime without bitterness after watched this one.
Thank you for your work!
A bit sad that I can't saw the imagies, but still thank a lof of for telling me about Reiji x Cel routes (aswell Clau & Mio).

Same here, brother, same here. Cal is my favorite character along with Lizzie. I wished Cal survived in the anime, but it was handled so badly. Am I the only one who thinks Cal died because of a stupid misunderstanding and Reiji not being able to fucking tell her "I thought you died"?
I am so bitter about Reiji killing Cal, as if that was the only possible conclusion he could have reached.
Broke my heart to know Cal was dragged into this mess by Reiji AND Elen (since she killed Judy) and then when she was killed by Reiji, it was like he abandoned her all over again. Like Mio said, "she has no one to TALK to" That's right Reiji, all she needed was someone to talk to, not fucking shoot her.

Ahaha, sorry, I am ranting a bit here, the conclusion of her arc in the anime just pissed me off.
Apr 17, 2018 1:26 PM

Jul 2008
Ankylar said:
Xaven said:
Thank you for your work!

Same here, brother, same here. Cal is my favorite character along with Lizzie. I wished Cal survived in the anime, but it was handled so badly. Am I the only one who thinks Cal died because of a stupid misunderstanding and Reiji not being able to fucking tell her "I thought you died"?
I am so bitter about Reiji killing Cal, as if that was the only possible conclusion he could have reached.
Broke my heart to know Cal was dragged into this mess by Reiji AND Elen (since she killed Judy) and then when she was killed by Reiji, it was like he abandoned her all over again. Like Mio said, "she has no one to TALK to" That's right Reiji, all she needed was someone to talk to, not fucking shoot her.

Ahaha, sorry, I am ranting a bit here, the conclusion of her arc in the anime just pissed me off.

It was definitely all Reiji's fault. She even gave him the chance to explain himself. But no, he thought that she was like him and Elen, and that she was all depressed about becoming an assassin (when in reality she loved becoming one - unlike them, she was born and raised in the criminal underworld so her moral compass was always different).

I guess this is why I don't like Elen's route. It's the full tragedy, and both Reiji and Elen give up so much of their humanity that it's hard to even be happy about them.

By the way, if you want images with summary, I recreated most of the summaries (minus Cal route as I haven't yet found time for it...) and they can be found HERE
Apr 17, 2018 2:08 PM

Aug 2014
Nayrael said:
Ankylar said:

It was definitely all Reiji's fault. She even gave him the chance to explain himself. But no, he thought that she was like him and Elen, and that she was all depressed about becoming an assassin (when in reality she loved becoming one - unlike them, she was born and raised in the criminal underworld so her moral compass was always different).

I guess this is why I don't like Elen's route. It's the full tragedy, and both Reiji and Elen give up so much of their humanity that it's hard to even be happy about them.

By the way, if you want images with summary, I recreated most of the summaries (minus Cal route as I haven't yet found time for it...) and they can be found HERE

Yeah, she definitely gave him a chance, but he said the wrong damn thing and she punched him and set her down a path she could not stray from anymore.

Thanks for writing up these summaries. Will check it out. I have a lot of VNs on my list to play and no time in which to do so, so having these summaries help out. It's very interesting to read the monologues that Cal had in the VN that did not appear in the anime. It really shows how much she was hurt and makes me feel even more sorry for her.
Apr 11, 2019 9:48 PM

Apr 2019
Hi! After watching the anime and because of the ending, I fell into depression. With Urobutcher being as he is, I believe he added that plot twist to the very ending of the last episode, despite it following the Road of the Cerulean Sky vn ending. So yeah, I searched for answers to my questions and ended up here. I have also read your tumblr post. Currently not done reading it but I'll find time but I got the whole gist of it. Really, thank you for making the effort of making the summary of the endings from the vn. Really appreciated it :)

Btw, I have some questions. I hope you can answer them.
1) Did the anime fully or mostly covered the important points of Elen's and Cal's route from the vn's chapter 1 and 2?
2) Basing from the images you posted here and from your tumblr post, it seems you played both the english dvd version (non-H) and the remastered version (also non-H). Or maybe you also played the original vn release (with the H-scenes) and you can read in Japanese? Please correct me here in this hehe.
3) Just curious. Was there an H-scene between Elen and Reiji from the original vn? Or maybe an implied H-scene for them from the non-H vn versions?

Last but not the least, I was really happy that Cal has a happy ending and Elen and Reiji didn't died from the Road of the Cerulean Sky ending (though it's obvious there are happy endings because the original source is the vn, but still I'm happy). I really like both Elen and Cal :)
Apr 12, 2019 11:19 AM

Jul 2008
HimeLilianne said:
Really, thank you for making the effort of making the summary of the endings from the vn. Really appreciated it :)

You are welcome :) I am always happy to see that people still read my summaries... and this reminds me that I still have to remake the summary of Dusty Desert Trail on tumblr...

HimeLilianne said:

1) Did the anime fully or mostly covered the important points of Elen's and Cal's route from the vn's chapter 1 and 2?

Elen's scenes were fully covered. I can't remember much being cut, but a lot more was added with Anime-Original scenes.

Cal's scenes, especially in chapter 2, were trimmed however, which I consider a shame because they explained more about her character. Most notable changes:
- when Reiji met Cal, he pretended to be a Drug Dealer. Cal thought it was extremely cool. This hit home the fact that Cal's childhood was being surrounded by prostitutes and gangsters (and had she normally grown up, she would have become one of these two)
- Cal thought of Phantom as a superhero who murdered the evil mafiosos. This explains why in her own ending she is still an assassin: as long as bad people die and they make sure that good people are spared, being an assassin is ok in Cal's books
- in chapter 3, Cal remembered her childhood from before she fled her abusive father. But I covered this one in the summary of her ending

There are a few more, but I consider these ones to be the most major changes. They all show that Cal is not such a pure child as she looks in Anime, which then explains her character development.

Overall though, the Anime did an excellent job. Not many adaptations are worthy of their source material, but BeeTrain did a good job here (a shame the studio is now basically dead).

HimeLilianne said:

2) Basing from the images you posted here and from your tumblr post, it seems you played both the english dvd version (non-H) and the remastered version (also non-H). Or maybe you also played the original vn release (with the H-scenes) and you can read in Japanese? Please correct me here in this hehe.

I played only the English DVD version as it was the only one translated... and I really, really hope a better version finds itself on Steam someday because playing the DVD version is utter suffering.
But I have explored the other versions so I know most of differences.

HimeLilianne said:

3) Just curious. Was there an H-scene between Elen and Reiji from the original vn? Or maybe an implied H-scene for them from the non-H vn versions?

There are formally two H scenes:
1. The first one is not really a H-scene even if it is classified as such: it's just Reiji treating Elen's wounds and for some reason they made it arousing. It's quite awkward, and the Anime captured the gist of it as I remember
2. Reiji and Elen's real sex scene is in chapter 3, just after you choose Elen's path. Reiji and Elen have sex at the altar in the church, after which Elen leaves and Cal arrives to have a duel with Reiji
Apr 12, 2019 6:50 PM

Apr 2019
Nayrael said:
HimeLilianne said:
Really, thank you for making the effort of making the summary of the endings from the vn. Really appreciated it :)

You are welcome :) I am always happy to see that people still read my summaries... and this reminds me that I still have to remake the summary of Dusty Desert Trail on tumblr...

HimeLilianne said:

Elen's scenes were fully covered. I can't remember much being cut, but a lot more was added with Anime-Original scenes.

Cal's scenes, especially in chapter 2, were trimmed however, which I consider a shame because they explained more about her character. Most notable changes:
- when Reiji met Cal, he pretended to be a Drug Dealer. Cal thought it was extremely cool. This hit home the fact that Cal's childhood was being surrounded by prostitutes and gangsters (and had she normally grown up, she would have become one of these two)
- Cal thought of Phantom as a superhero who murdered the evil mafiosos. This explains why in her own ending she is still an assassin: as long as bad people die and they make sure that good people are spared, being an assassin is ok in Cal's books
- in chapter 3, Cal remembered her childhood from before she fled her abusive father. But I covered this one in the summary of her ending

There are a few more, but I consider these ones to be the most major changes. They all show that Cal is not such a pure child as she looks in Anime, which then explains her character development.

Overall though, the Anime did an excellent job. Not many adaptations are worthy of their source material, but BeeTrain did a good job here (a shame the studio is now basically dead).

HimeLilianne said:

I played only the English DVD version as it was the only one translated... and I really, really hope a better version finds itself on Steam someday because playing the DVD version is utter suffering.

HimeLilianne said:

1. The first one is not really a H-scene even if it is classified as such: it's just Reiji treating Elen's wounds and for some reason they made it arousing. It's quite awkward, and the Anime captured the gist of it as I remember
2. Reiji and Elen's real sex scene is in chapter 3, just after you choose Elen's path. Reiji and Elen have sex at the altar in the church, after which Elen leaves and Cal arrives to have a duel with Reiji

Thank you for the speedy reply. I think I can now at least move on from this masterpiece. Now I just have to find time and finish reading the summaries of the other endings so I can at least give closure to it. And maybe I'll hope that a better english version really comes out in Steam.
May 8, 2019 7:15 PM
May 2019
I actually went and bought the game in a double DVD pack a couple or several years ago off of Amazon, and despite having played it through, I've been wondering as to why the animators went and changed the ending in the anime. I mean, we didn't even get the OW-MY-HEART-In-a-good-way dialogue line from Elen that she says at the very end of the anime's final route: "This is enough." I mean, I understand that the animators were kind of cobbling together all the available routes into one story, and they did a okay job, but still, the anime's ending has me as confused as the day I finished watching it for the first time almost ten years ago... Does anyone have a explaination or analysis for it?
May 8, 2019 7:19 PM
May 2019
HimeLilianne said:
Nayrael said:

Thank you for the speedy reply. I think I can now at least move on from this masterpiece. Now I just have to find time and finish reading the summaries of the other endings so I can at least give closure to it. And maybe I'll hope that a better english version really comes out in Steam.

I hope that the current not-good English version becomes available on steam, so that I don't have to wait for my house's DVD player to become available just to play the story. And HAHA, there. Is. No. Moving. Away. From. Phantom. Especially with that ending, I wouldn't be surprised if people will still be talking about it ten or twenty years down the road. (And considering how its past 20 years for the original game (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY, PHANTOM SERIES!") that's likely to happen).
May 8, 2019 7:32 PM

Apr 2019
NumberEinFan said:
I actually went and bought the game in a double DVD pack a couple or several years ago off of Amazon, and despite having played it through, I've been wondering as to why the animators went and changed the ending in the anime. I mean, we didn't even get the OW-MY-HEART-In-a-good-way dialogue line from Elen that she says at the very end of the anime's final route: "This is enough." I mean, I understand that the animators were kind of cobbling together all the available routes into one story, and they did a okay job, but still, the anime's ending has me as confused as the day I finished watching it for the first time almost ten years ago... Does anyone have a explaination or analysis for it?

As far as I know, they changed the ending into a tragic one for the anime. Dunno why, but in my opinion, it's just Urobuchi doing his thing for tragic plot twists. Though I think almost everyone who played/read the synopsis of the game already know that Elen's route is a happy ending.
Jul 11, 2019 12:17 PM
Apr 2014
is there a route where cal is still alive?
Jul 11, 2019 12:21 PM

Jul 2008
adeimam14 said:

The one and only ending where Cal dies is Ein's ending. In both Mio's (Cherry Blossoms Avenue) and Cal's ending (Dusty Desert Trail), she survives. In Claudia's as well.
Sep 13, 2019 1:29 AM

Oct 2014
I don't know why I suddenly remembered this anime and your post that read ages ago.
Not sure if I ever said thanks for it all.

They should make an OVA for the Pimp of Inferno ending.
Sep 20, 2019 11:01 PM
Jul 2017
HimeLilianne said:
NumberEinFan said:

As far as I know, they changed the ending into a tragic one for the anime. Dunno why, but in my opinion, it's just Urobuchi doing his thing for tragic plot twists. Though I think almost everyone who played/read the synopsis of the game already know that Elen's route is a happy ending.

Yeah, that's true! Elen's route is a happy ending! The ending for the anime was total BS, which I think Urobuchi had a hand on it being there. Again, Elen's route and ending is a HAPPY one! Do you think it's BS that the ending for the anime was changed into a tragic one?
Sep 20, 2019 11:07 PM
Jul 2017
Nayrael said:
adeimam14 said:

The one and only ending where Cal dies is Ein's ending. In both Mio's (Cherry Blossoms Avenue) and Cal's ending (Dusty Desert Trail), she survives. In Claudia's as well.

Basically, Cal survives in Mio's ending, her own ending, and Claudia's ending? She only dies in Ein's ending?

Also, you said that you remade Cal's ending summary in your tumblr. Can I see it?
Sep 20, 2019 11:15 PM

Apr 2019
rick1-2 said:
Yeah, that's true! Elen's route is a happy ending! The ending for the anime was total BS, which I think Urobuchi had a hand on it being there. Again, Elen's route and ending is a HAPPY one! Do you think it's BS that the ending for the anime was changed into a tragic one?

Well for me, it's not BS because I have a thing for tragic endings and it's interesting to have a "what if" ending. Though I admit that after I went through the anime ending, I fell into depression and when I learned the truth about Elen's route in which it's a happy end, well, it's a mixture of disappointment and relief.
Sep 21, 2019 1:19 AM
Jul 2017
HimeLilianne said:
rick1-2 said:

Well for me, it's not BS because I have a thing for tragic endings and it's interesting to have a "what if" ending. Though I admit that after I went through the anime ending, I fell into depression and when I learned the truth about Elen's route in which it's a happy end, well, it's a mixture of disappointment and relief.

I see. You learning the truth that Elen's route is a happy ending brought you a mixture of disappointment and relief? I get the relief part since both Reiji and Elen are actually supposed to be alive at the end, but why the disappointment?
Sep 21, 2019 4:33 AM

Apr 2019
rick1-2 said:
I see. You learning the truth that Elen's route is a happy ending brought you a mixture of disappointment and relief? I get the relief part since both Reiji and Elen are actually supposed to be alive at the end, but why the disappointment?

I expected that the Elen route from the vn will also have a tragic end, but nah. But what matters is that I found a hidden gem of a story and had a good time :)
Sep 21, 2019 11:05 AM
Jul 2017
HimeLilianne said:
rick1-2 said:

I expected that the Elen route from the vn will also have a tragic end, but nah. But what matters is that I found a hidden gem of a story and had a good time :)

Hah, that's good. I'm glad that both Reiji and Elen are alive and well in Eren's ending in the VN (the source material). They were meant to survive and live together once they found Eren's homeland in Mongolia. Sad that Cal's dead, but at least she died peacefully in Reiji's arms. What did you like about the story? Hope to hear from you soon.
rick1-2Sep 22, 2019 8:37 AM
Sep 21, 2019 6:52 PM
Jul 2017
Ankylar said:
Nayrael said:

Yeah, she definitely gave him a chance, but he said the wrong damn thing and she punched him and set her down a path she could not stray from anymore.

Thanks for writing up these summaries. Will check it out. I have a lot of VNs on my list to play and no time in which to do so, so having these summaries help out. It's very interesting to read the monologues that Cal had in the VN that did not appear in the anime. It really shows how much she was hurt and makes me feel even more sorry for her.

Yeah, it was Reiji's fault that caused Cal to be set down a path she couldn't stray from anymore. She gave him a chance to explain himself, but he blew it by saying the wrong thing, now she's hellbent on killing him and Eren, despite not wanting to deep down inside her. He could't just explain himself? Not only that, he killed her, downright abandoning her in the process, even though they reconciled? Like Mio said, Cal needs to be talked to, not killed.

Do you think that Reiji could done it differently in a more easy manner that doesn't involve him screwing up? He needs to realize that Cal's different from him and Eren.
Sep 21, 2019 7:24 PM
Jul 2017
Nayrael said:
Ankylar said:

Yep, it's all Reiji's fault. He and Eren dragged Cal into this mess, and the former abandoned her, escaping with the latter to the south to Mexico (sure, he thought she died, but had he not thought of checking if she was really dead?). Hell, two years later when they meet again, Cal gave Reiji the chance to explain himself, but he screwed that up by thinking that she was like him and Elen, and that she was all depressed about becoming an assassin, when that is NOT the case. Cal is different from Reiji and Eren, in that she was born and raised in the criminal underworld, and thus she actually loved becoming an assassin. Her moral compass is different due to this. He fails to understand that her experiences are different from his and Eren's.

Elen's route was full of tragedy due to these misunderstandings, and the fact that both Reiji and Elen gave up so much of their humanity makes it hard to feel happy about them. Cal shouldn't have to die, but due to Reiji's inability to understand that she's different from him and Eren and that he can't explain himself, makes Cal's death tragic, even though both she and Reiji were able to reconcile before she died in his arms. He realizes that he failed her, and he can only mourn her death after killing her. He comforted her in her final moments though at least, so that she dies peacefully. Do you think that it could have gone differently, so that Cal would actually survive in Eren's route?

I want to ask, what happened to Claudia when Reiji went to the abandoned warehouse to wait for Eren to kill him (where the two then escape south towards Mexico after they reconcile with each other), after he thought Cal was dead when their apartment blew up? She called him after his apartment blew up, right? This is in regards to the VN. Hope to hear from you soon, Nayrael!
Sep 22, 2019 3:51 AM

Jul 2008
rick1-2 said:
Also, you said that you remade Cal's ending summary in your tumblr. Can I see it?

Unfortunately, I hadn't remade it yet :( It will take a while longer as I intend to include some of the differences between Anime and VN, which I consider to be important to fully understand how Cal's mind works (I think I talked about those cut scenes it in this thread).

rick1-2 said:
I want to ask, what happened to Claudia when Reiji went to the abandoned warehouse to wait for Eren to kill him (where the two then escape south towards Mexico after they reconcile with each other), after he thought Cal was dead when their apartment blew up? She called him after his apartment blew up, right? This is in regards to the VN. Hope to hear from you soon, Nayrael!

As I remember, we last see her when Reiji and Lizzie confront her about her betrayal. If Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, Claudia leaves because Lizzie doesn't have it in her to shoot her. Claudia is then killed off screen by Inferno.

In the newest release, she is killed by Lizzie at the beach, just like in the Anime (alongside better art, the newest release includes the Anime-original additions).
Sep 22, 2019 8:33 AM
Jul 2017
Nayrael said:
rick1-2 said:

Unfortunately, I hadn't remade it yet :( It will take a while longer as I intend to include some of the differences between Anime and VN, which I consider to be important to fully understand how Cal's mind works (I think I talked about those cut scenes it in this thread).

rick1-2 said:

As I remember, we last see her when Reiji and Lizzie confront her about her betrayal. If Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, Claudia leaves because Lizzie doesn't have it in her to shoot her. Claudia is then killed off screen by Inferno.

In the newest release, she is killed by Lizzie at the beach, just like in the Anime (alongside better art, the newest release includes the Anime-original additions).

I see, so you haven't remade it yet. Yeah, those differences are important to understand how Cal's mind works. I'll look this thread to find them. I want to make a request, can you also do the ending summary for Eren's route ending, Road to Cerulean Sky, as well? I think the newest release added variations to it? I would love to see your ending summary of it for the VN, and the how differeny anime's adaptation of it is. We know Mio is let go by Cal, is rescued by Eren, and escorted back home by Shiga in the anime, but what about in the VN? We also know that Cal dies in the anime (it follows Eren's route, and mostly her ending) and Eren's route in the VN, killed by Reiji, but what are the differences for her death?

As for Claudia, so in the original VN (before the anime and VN remake release), the last we saw of her is when she's confronted by Reiji and Lizzie about her betrayal. If Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, Claudia leaves since Lizzie is unwilling to shoot her. After that, Claudia is then killed by Inferno offscreen? Wow, that's stupid, we don't even get to see what happened to her onscreen in the VN.

If Reiji shoots Lizzie, we'll then be in Claudia's route, correct? In that (for one of two True Endings for Claudia), Claudia kills Reiji, which a year later, she is now a courtesan to a high-ranking mafia member, manipulating him and his mafia to fight against Inferno. The other True Ending for Claudia has Reiji killing Claudia, presenting her dead body to Scythe and becoming higher in rank in Inferno in the process. Five years later, with Inferno being the sole superpower in the U.S. criminal underworld, Reiji controls Scythe's six-member assassin squad and kills both the kingpins and Scythe himself, taking full control of Inferno. Of course, he has Raymond killed by Cal, who he made into an assassin. He then went to Claudia's grave, looking over the city he's exploiting.

Wait, if Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, can that possibly lead to the bad ending where Reiji is killed by Eren at the abandoned warehouse under Scythe's orders? I think to get that, you can't do Eren's route in Chapter 1.

In the newest release (as well as in the anime), Claudia is killed by Lizzie at the beach, just like in the anime. Now we can know (and see) that Claudia is killed onscreen, and by Lizzie! I didn't like that we only find out that Claudia is killed offscreen by Inferno in the original VN. It sucks. The newest release includes the Anime-original additions? Oh god, even the anime ending? The story is still the same, right? Hope to hear from you soon, Nayrael!
rick1-2Sep 22, 2019 8:39 AM
Sep 22, 2019 9:02 AM

Jul 2008
rick1-2 said:
I want to make a request, can you also do the ending summary for Eren's route ending, Road to Cerulean Sky, as well?

Ah yes, the Cerulean Skies... I greatly regret not making a summary of that one.
Though I barely remember details of that route, so I'd have to replay the game. Can't promise it will come anytime soon though.

rick1-2 said:
I think the newest release added variations to it?

I have't played the new version itself, but from what I hear you choose if you want a happy or sad ending.

I would love to see your ending summary of it for the VN, and the how differeny anime's adaptation of it is. We know Mio is let go by Cal, is rescued by Eren, and escorted back home by Shiga in the anime, but what about in the VN?

In the VN, Elen saves Mio,and unlike the Anime Mio does not have any more interactions with Reiji. I remember in the Anime she gave him a speech that she gives him in the Cal's route, a fact I did not like because in the game this speech is what made Reiji decide not to kill Cal.

We also know that Cal dies in the anime (it follows Eren's route, and mostly her ending) and Eren's route in the VN, killed by Reiji, but what are the differences for her death?

None really. The two meet in the Church, duel, and Reiji kills her.
This scene only changes if Reiji kisses (or has sax in later 18+ version) at the end of Chapter 2. In this case, Reiji does not have the strength to pull the trigger, so Cal wins the duel and he dies (I touched on this in one of Bad Ending summaries).

As for Claudia, so in the original VN (before the anime and VN remake release), the last we saw of her is when she's confronted by Reiji and Lizzie about her betrayal. If Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, Claudia leaves since Lizzie is unwilling to shoot her. After that, Claudia is then killed by Inferno offscreen? Wow, that's stupid, we don't even get to see what happened to her onscreen in the VN.

Not really. In the branched stories, it's common for characters to not get full resolutions in every route, or for all mysteries to be resolved, or for everything to be explained. It makes readers more motivated to see other routes, and it saves the already exhausted writers to reduce the amount of story they have to write. Basically, to get the full story, you have to finish all the routes (and reach all the bad endings as well). In a way, you could even say that having a route that's completely fulfilling would be detrimental to the story overall.
The Anime of course is not such a type of the story, so it did need to show Claudia's ultimate fate on screen.

In other words, for VN's, killing major characters off-screen is nothing uncommon, or even bad. That injustice is more than made up by them having their own route, aka their own storyline, all for themselves.

Wait, if Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, can that possibly lead to the bad ending where Reiji is killed by Eren at the abandoned warehouse under Scythe's orders? I think to get that, you can't do Eren's route in Chapter 1.

Yep. In this case, Ein kills him.
Now that I think about it, I do wonder if the same happens if you complete Claudia's and Cal's routes. Maybe in that case we get a variation of Southbound? I doubt it, but I remember when I once ended in Cal's route which then turned into Mio's route so all is possible.

The newest release includes the Anime-original additions? Oh god, even the anime ending? The story is still the same, right? Hope to hear from you soon!

The newest release is a fusion of the VN's and Anime's story. Basically, it's the VN's story with new scenes. So it's really not the "same" story as the Anime.

As for the ending, from what I heard (but did not confirm myself) you choose if you want the old ending, or the Anime ending. The game certainly has both sets of pictures:

I really hope that someday the game appears on Steam. You'd think that with the flood of VN releases on Steam that it would have came by now, but alas... and playing the currently existing PS version is... masochism to say it lightly.
NayraelSep 22, 2019 9:05 AM
Sep 29, 2019 7:26 PM
Jul 2017
Nayrael said:
rick1-2 said:
I want to make a request, can you also do the ending summary for Eren's route ending, Road to Cerulean Sky, as well?

Ah yes, the Cerulean Skies... I greatly regret not making a summary of that one.
Though I barely remember details of that route, so I'd have to replay the game. Can't promise it will come anytime soon though.

rick1-2 said:
I think the newest release added variations to it?

I have't played the new version itself, but from what I hear you choose if you want a happy or sad ending.

I would love to see your ending summary of it for the VN, and the how differeny anime's adaptation of it is. We know Mio is let go by Cal, is rescued by Eren, and escorted back home by Shiga in the anime, but what about in the VN?

In the VN, Elen saves Mio,and unlike the Anime Mio does not have any more interactions with Reiji. I remember in the Anime she gave him a speech that she gives him in the Cal's route, a fact I did not like because in the game this speech is what made Reiji decide not to kill Cal.

We also know that Cal dies in the anime (it follows Eren's route, and mostly her ending) and Eren's route in the VN, killed by Reiji, but what are the differences for her death?

None really. The two meet in the Church, duel, and Reiji kills her.
This scene only changes if Reiji kisses (or has sax in later 18+ version) at the end of Chapter 2. In this case, Reiji does not have the strength to pull the trigger, so Cal wins the duel and he dies (I touched on this in one of Bad Ending summaries).

Not really. In the branched stories, it's common for characters to not get full resolutions in every route, or for all mysteries to be resolved, or for everything to be explained. It makes readers more motivated to see other routes, and it saves the already exhausted writers to reduce the amount of story they have to write. Basically, to get the full story, you have to finish all the routes (and reach all the bad endings as well). In a way, you could even say that having a route that's completely fulfilling would be detrimental to the story overall.
The Anime of course is not such a type of the story, so it did need to show Claudia's ultimate fate on screen.

In other words, for VN's, killing major characters off-screen is nothing uncommon, or even bad. That injustice is more than made up by them having their own route, aka their own storyline, all for themselves.

Yep. In this case, Ein kills him.
Now that I think about it, I do wonder if the same happens if you complete Claudia's and Cal's routes. Maybe in that case we get a variation of Southbound? I doubt it, but I remember when I once ended in Cal's route which then turned into Mio's route so all is possible.

The newest release includes the Anime-original additions? Oh god, even the anime ending? The story is still the same, right? Hope to hear from you soon!

The newest release is a fusion of the VN's and Anime's story. Basically, it's the VN's story with new scenes. So it's really not the "same" story as the Anime.

As for the ending, from what I heard (but did not confirm myself) you choose if you want the old ending, or the Anime ending. The game certainly has both sets of pictures:

I really hope that someday the game appears on Steam. You'd think that with the flood of VN releases on Steam that it would have came by now, but alas... and playing the currently existing PS version is... masochism to say it lightly.

"In the VN, Elen saves Mio,and unlike the Anime Mio does not have any more interactions with Reiji. I remember in the Anime she gave him a speech that she gives him in the Cal's route, a fact I did not like because in the game this speech is what made Reiji decide not to kill Cal."

So, in the VN, after she is saved by Elen, Mio doesn't have any more interactions with Reiji? She just stays where she's at (like Elen told her to) until Shiga comes to pick her up(she no longer has any scenes with her in it after Elen saves her, until she's at school the next day?), where the next day, she is seen wondering if what she saw yesterday was real? So, that speech Mio gave Reiji in the anime, it's the same one she gives him in Cal's Route? That speech is what made Reiji decide not to kill Cal in the game. However, in the anime, it was what made him resolved in killing Cal. What the hell? Yeah, I agree with you in not liking the anime for this part.

"None really. The two meet in the Church, duel, and Reiji kills her.
This scene only changes if Reiji kisses (or has sax in later 18+ version) at the end of Chapter 2. In this case, Reiji does not have the strength to pull the trigger, so Cal wins the duel and he dies (I touched on this in one of Bad Ending summaries)."

So, the ending where Reiji is killed by Cal in their duel when he doesn't have the strength to pull the trigger, what does it entail? Is it summarized in this thread? Also, there's absolutely no difference in Cal's death between the anime and Eren's route in the VN, she and Reiji meet in the church, duel, and Reiji kills her. Cal dies the same.

"Not really. In the branched stories, it's common for characters to not get full resolutions in every route, or for all mysteries to be resolved, or for everything to be explained. It makes readers more motivated to see other routes, and it saves the already exhausted writers to reduce the amount of story they have to write. Basically, to get the full story, you have to finish all the routes (and reach all the bad endings as well). In a way, you could even say that having a route that's completely fulfilling would be detrimental to the story overall.

In other words, for VN's, killing major characters off-screen is nothing uncommon, or even bad. That injustice is more than made up by them having their own route, aka their own storyline, all for themselves."

I see, I agree with your points on this. We do see Claudia's ultimate fate though, her getting killed by Lizzie (on orders from Inferno) for her betrayal.

"Yep. In this case, Ein kills him.
Now that I think about it, I do wonder if the same happens if you complete Claudia's and Cal's routes. Maybe in that case we get a variation of Southbound? I doubt it, but I remember when I once ended in Cal's route which then turned into Mio's route so all is possible."

I see. What are the other ways that will lead to Ein killing Reiji in the abandoned warehouse? I believe there are two more ways? Wait, if you do Eren's route in chapter 1, and Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, where will that lead to? Reiji going to his apartment? We do know that shooting Lizzie will always lead Claudia's route though.

Yeah, all is possible, I guess. I don't think we'll get variations though.

"The newest release is a fusion of the VN's and Anime's story. Basically, it's the VN's story with new scenes. So it's really not the "same" story as the Anime."

So, you're saying that the newest release is the VN's story, just with new scenes? I know it's not the same story as the Anime's story, and that is what I want. I want the VN's story, not the Anime's story. Strange fusion though, wouldn't you agree?

"As for the ending, from what I heard (but did not confirm myself) you choose if you want the old ending, or the Anime ending. The game certainly has both sets of pictures:"

I see. Definitely the old ending, not that crappy Anime ending which was too sudden and diabolus ex maxhina. Nice awesome pictures, I'll give it that.

"Ah yes, the Cerulean Skies... I greatly regret not making a summary of that one.
Though I barely remember details of that route, so I'd have to replay the game. Can't promise it will come anytime soon though."

Don't worry, take your time.

"I have't played the new version itself, but from what I hear you choose if you want a happy or sad ending"

Happy ending for the win, all the way! Screw the sad ending (Anime)!

"I really hope that someday the game appears on Steam. You'd think that with the flood of VN releases on Steam that it would have came by now, but alas... and playing the currently existing PS version is... masochism to say it lightly."

Wait, this currently existing PS version, it's in English? Don't tell it's the painful DVD one? God, you have to be a freaking masochist to play that? You're saying the PS version is worst?

Well, hope to hear from you soon.
Sep 30, 2019 9:09 AM

Jul 2008
rick1-2 said:
That speech is what made Reiji decide not to kill Cal in the game. However, in the anime, it was what made him resolved in killing Cal. What the hell? Yeah, I agree with you in not liking the anime for this part.

Indeed so. I can understand that they wanted to give a proper closure to Mio (which was not as necessary in the VN due to reasons I mention in the lats post) and just copy-pasting parts of the conversation was the simplest solution, but I really wish they went for a more original route here.

So, the ending where Reiji is killed by Cal in their duel when he doesn't have the strength to pull the trigger, what does it entail? Is it summarized in this thread? Also, there's absolutely no difference in Cal's death between the anime and Eren's route in the VN, she and Reiji meet in the church, duel, and Reiji kills her. Cal dies the same.

This ending was not present in the officially translated version, but I know this:
- Reiji finds himself unable to pull the trigger
- Cal despairs as she watches him die
- a timeskip occurs
- Elen hunts Cal for revenge, and manages to find her
- Cal doesn't have the strength to fight back, so they eventually just start starring at the sky, remembering Reiji
- I like to think they make up because that's what Reiji would want, and they start traveling around as main characters of a sitcom

Thgese are the CGs of these endings, I think:

I see. What are the other ways that will lead to Ein killing Reiji in the abandoned warehouse? I believe there are two more ways? Wait, if you do Eren's route in chapter 1, and Reiji doesn't shoot Lizzie, where will that lead to? Reiji going to his apartment? We do know that shooting Lizzie will always lead Claudia's route though.

There are at least three ways to get this ending:

1) Complete Claudia's path during chapter 1 and in chapter 2 but when asked if you will shoot Lizzie when she points her gun at Claudia and you answer with "See what happens", you get this ending
2) During the sniping mission, you have a choice to kill the sniper immediately or to confirm his identity first. If you shoot immediately and don't follow Claudia's path, you get this ending
3) When Ellen starts shooting at the harbour on the Godoh group, if you don't follow Claudia's path you can choose to either jump into car with Lizzie or to confirm the assasin's identity. If you jump into the car, you may get this ending

Generally, if you don't get any other ending in ch2, you will default to this one.
Mind you that shooting Claudia is only possible if you followed Claudia's route to the end: if you ever made a wrong choice (like spending time with Cal instead of with Claudia), the option to shoot Lizzie won't be offered

So, you're saying that the newest release is the VN's story, just with new scenes? I know it's not the same story as the Anime's story, and that is what I want. I want the VN's story, not the Anime's story. Strange fusion though, wouldn't you agree?

Not really. Many of these additions were made with help of the original authors, and they do make the story better. So while unusual, I do think it's for the best. The original VN was very rough in many ways, as one would expect of Nitro+'s and Urobutcher very first work.

The art is especially rough... I still have nightmares of Lizzie.

Wait, this currently existing PS version, it's in English? Don't tell it's the painful DVD one? God, you have to be a freaking masochist to play that? You're saying the PS version is worst?

Yep, only the PS version is translate. It...

- lacks 18+ scenes (not a real downside, but worth mentioning)
- is not a game as much as an interactive video (no animation, just pictures with sound)
- there's no load and save system, instead you have passwords
- you can't pause safely. Either the game refuses to pause, or if you pause and unpause, sound or picture (or both) may start lagging
- the same goes for trying to make the video run faster
- waiting to reach a password or choice can last quite a while. Hope you don't need to go to the bathroom

I don't know who came up with the idea to release it this way, but I sure hate that person.
Feb 3, 2020 11:22 PM
Jul 2017
Hey, Nayrael, how are you? You haven't done the "Road to Cerulean Sky" summary yet?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.