Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 24, 2019 9:39 AM

Feb 2015
Burst out laughing at the twist, definitely wasn't expecting it.

Was good. Them roaming in the mansion actually felt uneasy, as it should be. The bookseller's creature at the end looked like a slime or something.
Mar 21, 2020 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
I think the only reason I watched this is because I was looking for obscure and unseen media -- a hidden gem, if you will -- and so I found myself paging through the MAL anime list ordered from most popular to least popular and was deep under the waves when I actually stumbled upon this.

I looked into it and apparently this was made with the purpose of TRAINING "young" animators! So that's what was constantly on my mind while watching this. A bunch of young, new Japanese animators were attempting to get their feet wet in the industry and embark/debut on their careers. This was one of four 2011 pieces entered into some kind of organization. Whatever the case, no WONDER this work is so obscure (on MAL and to the world) -- it's an indie project, again, with the purpose of helping animators hone their skills.

That being said, it looks as if it were produced and animated by a professional studio. The movements of the characters, specifically, are so fluid -- far better than many other animes/studios.

I was shocked by how fluid the short-haired girl's movements were as she stumbled through the abandoned structure. It almost looked rotoscoped. Seriously impressive stuff. As the "book nerd" and "short haired girl" moved throughout the film -- hiking through the mountains or even just crouching around the bookstore -- I was just so intrigued at their movements and proportional character designs. Well done. (Maybe because the amount of characters in this film was limited.)

The backgrounds and settings were also vivid and detailed, too. Everything that was drawn was good, really.

==========

As for the plot? Eh. I don't really get any of it. I definitely don't know the purpose of this film. Everything seemed pretty straightforward... however, the second they encountered the abandoned village (from the opening credits) things kinda went south and strayed into oblivion. I lost trace of the plot completely there.

From the monster spider at the beginning to the monster spider at the end, in the pond, to the "mother" the spider turned out to be -- seemingly part human ..........

.......... to the small spider girl that the "book nerd" to a liking to .......... to the regular-sized girl with long black hair that seldom appeared in the film .......... to the short-black-haired, red-eyed girl at the end. Are these three all supposed to be the same character?

And, what... so the spider girl is ultimately capable of brainwashing people? Is that what it did to the samurai at the beginning of the film? How did it end up trapped in the book?

The other forum posts and reviews all mention the shocking ending that kinda leaves you thinking. I can definitely see why. Frankly, I don't even care anymore. I don't give a sh*t about the plot, or how much of an ignoramus I may be for not seeing any of the "deeper meaning" that might've been intended. It wasn't even a full-fledged movie (as it's labeled on MAL and other places) ... just a half-an-hour rookie project. I don't need to stress out over something that has consumed less than 30 minutes of my life.

And, so, because of the strange plot of this movie (and somewhat nonexistent, as some reviews state), I have to deduct some points. Nevertheless, the animation, setting, VA-ing, music, blah blah blah was all fine, and quite appealing at that. I'm satisfied to be one of the few people on this planet to have experienced something like this. That supposedly has depth to it -- both metaphorically and metaphysically as: while the movie itself is the tip of an iceberg, the rest of the iceberg would be dozens of young animators spending (probably) an entire year culminating their efforts into this unique product. I'm content. 6.5/10.

==========

P.S. While the beginning of the movie had its "comedic" moments (if that's what you want to call it) .......... and while the ending of the movie had its "deeper" and "solemn" moments .......... I really want to give this short film a shoutout for the drawn out scene of the "short haired chick" stumbling around through the abandoned structure while looking for the "book nerd". That was gorgeously animated ... the rotoscope-esque movements of the girl, those complex angles and perspectives (e.g. showcasing the dilapidated ceiling), to the music ... all the factors here made it truly eerie. I didn't know if the spider girl would pop out at any moment and jumpscare the viewer. I was especially unnerved after watching a bunch of "Chills" YouTube compilations. Not to mention it's 3 AM. But, yeah, that scene specially was gorgeously executed and was my personal favorite moment of the film. Very unnerving and very atmospheric.
Apr 8, 2020 8:38 AM

May 2016
I never understood why the girl didn't leave if she was scared. Damn that call me off guard I forgot spiders represent evil.
Jul 5, 2020 2:54 PM

Apr 2018
Woah! that ending tho
so the spider mum wanted her daughter back but the lil spider girl gave her mizuri instead so she can stay with the man
SPIDER GIRL IS EVILLL

Rin Asogi
(RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne)
Dec 7, 2020 7:21 PM
Jun 2016
That's one for my "cute but I'll only remember for the twist ending" list.

It's not too often you get a bad ending in a story. It was cool. Despite being set up for a while, the twist ending kinda doesn't feel predictable enough. The rest of the anime was pretty good.
Dec 14, 2020 3:41 PM

Aug 2017
That "Guugle" surely wasn't very helpful in finding the way

So why didn't that onmyouji just finish the spider queen off? Was he enchanted?

Anyway, nice short. Fluid animation at times, especially running, it almost looked rotoscoped (maybe it was?). Those weird perspectives in the haunted house showed its...weirdness, I guess. Though watching it at a dark time was not the best choice.
I guess the ED implied that Mizuki was indeed gone, and the new Mizuki was a shapeshifted spider, not just Mizuki-but-with-spider-eyes. I wonder what yokai was Geppou-san living with. Everyone has their secrets, huh.
Don't get the hate for the ending, I liked that twist.

There's a funny storyboard of Mizuki in full length, and a picture of Geppou-san's yokai!
https://www.production-ig.co.jp/works/wasurenagumo/special

P.S. At least my yokai knowledge book is expanding
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jor%C5%8Dgumo

P.P.S. According to ANN, this short's director was one of the people behind the absolutely terrible FLCL Progressive, and according to MAL, he's "chief animation director" on all of the upcoming Gainax movies about Emeraldas...how am I supposed to feel about that?

-----------------------------------

Rei_III said:

@St0rmblade Oh my... he worked on the bad "New Furi Kuri" (interesting to hear an episode was even worse than the others). Don't feel it, try to understand (to paraphrase Mélanie Laurent) : those films will NEVER happen. Just like Aoki Uru and Gunbuster the 3rd or anything else Gainax really. Even with their stealing operation thanks to their filials, I doubt they will be ever able to stand again on their feet enough to produce something.

From memories, I thought the spider was back at the end, and the heroine was dead or something. Did I mixed things up?

You remember the ending correctly.

I didn't try to rank the episodes from the worst to...the more worst? xD They were all bad enough.

Don't take away my hope for the films ;_; Though my gut feeling tells me you're correct, the website for the films has no details at all...Maybe they'll suffer the same fate as Satoshi Kon's Dreaming Machine, stuck in production hell halfway (or 1/3rd way or whatever) through, waiting for somebody else to finish them...despair
St0rmbladeDec 17, 2020 5:22 PM
Dec 17, 2020 1:56 PM

Dec 2015
Score: 7/10
Enjoyment: 5/5

@St0rmblade Oh my... he worked on the bad "New Furi Kuri" (interesting to hear an episode was even worse than the others). Don't feel it, try to understand (to paraphrase Mélanie Laurent) : those films will NEVER happen. Just like Aoki Uru and Gunbuster the 3rd or anything else Gainax really. Even with their stealing operation thanks to their filials, I doubt they will be ever able to stand again on their feet enough to produce something.

From memories, I thought the spider was back at the end, and the heroine was dead or something. Did I mixed things up?

PS: expand your yôkai encyclopedia, watch Blue Seed. (and discover the origin of all Yôkai at the same occasion.)
Rei_IIIDec 17, 2020 1:59 PM
Jan 10, 2021 4:00 AM

Jan 2011
Now that another spider show is airing. Had to watch this!
I liked it. And good riddance to the jealous bitch.
Feb 2, 2022 7:12 AM
Aug 28, 2022 11:53 PM
Aug 2022
Killed a random girl for shock value.
Dec 20, 2022 8:57 PM

Apr 2014
i ended up seeing like a short video of this and saw the cute spider girl

and so i had to find out what it was and watched it just now and i gotta say i enjoyed it

spider girl was cute all through out the little movie

and the ending and what happened to the other girl was well lol

anyway looks like the shop keeper guy also has a monster girl of his own so looks like things turned out in a similar way for him also

but yeah Spider girl is cute
"one step at a time"
Jul 3, 2023 1:21 AM
Aug 2018
What the fuck did i just watch xDDDDD
Jul 12, 2023 7:48 PM

Jan 2016
lol that ending
I was watching but not paying much attention because I was finding it silly then that out of nowhere lol

Apr 7, 10:08 PM

Nov 2023
It wasn't bad, but Mizuki got done dirty by the ending. 
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» ED theme

DROP_TABLE_users - May 10, 2012

1 by XCT3 »»
Oct 2, 2018 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.