Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2023 4:48 PM
Mar 2022
If you watched the first episode with the official eng subtitles from Crunchyroll you already know why i'm posting this, dude i'm so MAD because it was one of my most awaited shows of this season and the adaptation is GREAT (i read some chapters of the manga) like what are the odds of this happening to such a comfy and beautiful story, i feel so bad for the anime team too
Oct 5, 2023 5:02 PM
Jul 2009
Yes, the subtitles were all over the place. I'm mad, too!
Oct 5, 2023 5:37 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
Genuinely might be the worst official translation subtitles I’ve ever seen, almost took me out of the show completely. When you butcher a line that’s supposed to say “he’s not my big brother!” with “he’s not my brother”, it leads to imply something completely different. And there were issues like that every other sentence, they better get it situated by next week or they’ll lose a lot of watchers.
Oct 5, 2023 5:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yeah, it was so bad I couldn't finish the episode, I'm going to try to rewatch it again when there are better subs in the future.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 5, 2023 6:14 PM
Jul 2023
Fortunately, there’s no problems with Ani One Asia subtitles
MainnusOct 5, 2023 6:26 PM
Oct 5, 2023 6:36 PM
Oct 2014
Mainnus said:

I will have to watch there
Oct 5, 2023 6:38 PM
Oct 2014
Mainnus said:

nvm I can't seem to find the link
Oct 5, 2023 7:53 PM

Sep 2018
Holy shit, those "official" subtitles were the worst I've ever seen on a single episode lol, I hope whoever did this or whoever made the decision to do this, gets reprimanded somehow. I stopped and found better fan subs, thankfully.
Oct 5, 2023 8:49 PM

Oct 2021
Common Crunchyroll L
Oct 5, 2023 8:55 PM
Jul 2023
PastalNightMare said:
Mainnus said:

nvm I can't seem to find the link

Its only available in Asia and Oceania
Oct 5, 2023 9:09 PM
Jan 2021
Itadakimasu got translated to I'm gonna start now. Wtf??
Oct 5, 2023 9:16 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to GakutoDeathGlare
Holy shit, those "official" subtitles were the worst I've ever seen on a single episode lol, I hope whoever did this or whoever made the decision to do this, gets reprimanded somehow. I stopped and found better fan subs, thankfully.
@GakutoDeathGlare Link?
Oct 5, 2023 9:28 PM

Apr 2015
Lazy, greedy motherfuckers thought they could save $80. Don't give them money.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 6, 2023 1:01 AM
Apr 2023
Genuinely what the fuck? This is my first time trying out a smaller budget slice of life…are all of them like this? Oh my god the subs are so bad please don’t tell me I’ll have to watch in dub I really like the second brother’s voice
Oct 6, 2023 3:20 AM
Apr 2021
Tbh this feels like the duwang scan of anime. I would drop this anime if the subtitles continue to be this awful, but I have intrusive thoughts telling me to stick around because there might be some more mistakes that are so bad that I will burst out laughing
Oct 6, 2023 3:21 AM
Apr 2021
miscuits said:
Genuinely what the fuck? This is my first time trying out a smaller budget slice of life…are all of them like this? Oh my god the subs are so bad please don’t tell me I’ll have to watch in dub I really like the second brother’s voice

I watch lower budget slice of life anime almost every season and it's almost never like this. Whoever is translating this one needs to be fired
Oct 6, 2023 5:35 AM

May 2014
They took it down but put it back up without fixing it?

Man, I'm only watching 4 shows this season, of course they'd pull this on one the few I'm gonna watch
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Oct 6, 2023 5:58 AM
Jul 2013
I’m seriously considering dropping this if the subs aren’t fixed by ep three. I can watch without subs but my husband has so many questions about everything it is ruining the whole experience. I’m here to relax, not be angry at Crunchy.
Oct 6, 2023 8:57 AM

Sep 2011
Supposedly these are third party subs from Avex which means Crunchyroll legally can't change a thing unless they renegiotate (like what happened with Link Click). Interesting that they took down the episode internationally and that it's only available in the US for now. Glad a lot of people are complaining!

Pro tip, if you know another language, it's only the English subs that suffer from this. I just watched with German subs instead 😅
Oct 6, 2023 10:04 AM

Feb 2021
GakutoDeathGlare said:
There are no fansubs for this show tho...

Badonkers said:
Common Crunchyroll L
Common L for the subs they didn't make...
Oct 6, 2023 11:34 AM

Feb 2021
Ani said:
Search for "[Anonymous] Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai" on nyaa, I watched their fansub and it was way better than the CR version.
Not a proper fansub when it's the offical subs just fixed in some parts.

A proper fansub would be done from scratch and is usually released by a group rather than one guy.
Oct 6, 2023 12:05 PM

Oct 2020
Subtitles from pirate streams will always be superior to Crunchyroll
Oct 6, 2023 1:49 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to MadanielFL
GakutoDeathGlare said:
There are no fansubs for this show tho...

Badonkers said:
Common Crunchyroll L
Common L for the subs they didn't make...
@MadanielFL lol, whatever dude, splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned. The corrected subs I watched were better and made the episode worth watching. Go shill for Crunchyroll elsewhere, not interested.
Oct 6, 2023 1:57 PM

Feb 2021
GakutoDeathGlare said:
@MadanielFL lol, whatever dude, splitting hairs as far as I'm concerned. The corrected subs I watched were better and made the episode worth watching. Go shill for Crunchyroll elsewhere, not interested.

I like how many time anime pirates have made the argument that they should cut the middle man and let Japan handle localization and distribution.
Yet, when this actually happens, we get garbage results that nobody likes.

Examples include the official Ranking of Kings manga translation, the Kadokawa localization for the Higehiro LN, and pretty much all of the Aniplex subs…
Oct 6, 2023 1:58 PM

Feb 2021
ReverseSL said:

Pretty ironic considering pirate sites use the exact same subs as Cr, I mean that’s where they steal their videos from….
Oct 6, 2023 2:28 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to MadanielFL
GakutoDeathGlare said:

I like how many time anime pirates have made the argument that they should cut the middle man and let Japan handle localization and distribution.

Examples include the official Ranking of Kings manga translation, the Kadokawa localization for the Higehiro LN, and pretty much all of the Aniplex subs…
@MadanielFL Oh look, straw man garbage. The subs they used were trash, end of.
Oct 6, 2023 3:09 PM

Feb 2021
GakutoDeathGlare said:
@MadanielFL Oh look, straw man garbage. The subs they used were trash, end of.

Blame Avex for that lol
Oct 6, 2023 3:14 PM

Oct 2020
Reply to MadanielFL
GakutoDeathGlare said:

I have never seen anyone say that. Unofficial subs will always be better.
Oct 6, 2023 3:15 PM

Oct 2020
Reply to MadanielFL
ReverseSL said:

Pretty ironic considering pirate sites use the exact same subs as Cr, I mean that’s where they steal their videos from….
@MadanielFL
Lol get better pages. Crunchyroll doesn't have all the anime shows
Oct 6, 2023 6:47 PM
Jan 2022
several times i went "I paid for these subtitles."
Oct 6, 2023 7:52 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to ReverseSL
@MadanielFL
Lol get better pages. Crunchyroll doesn't have all the anime shows
@ReverseSL I mean that the majority of new shows on pirate sites comes from Crunchyroll, if not, then it comes from Hidive, Netflix, or Hulu.

Very rarely you will see a new show on a pirate site coming straight from a fansub.
Oct 7, 2023 7:34 AM
May 2020
I'm dropping this anime solely because of the awful subtitles. Why even bother getting rights if you aren't going to provide usable subtitles? I watch obscure films and they manage to have better translations than that.
Oct 7, 2023 1:37 PM

May 2008
Do you really expect quality from Crunchyroll, a company notorious for messing up subs in general when they 'don't like something' ? Common L. Don't give them your money. They need to learn.

Oct 7, 2023 7:46 PM

Aug 2022
Ani-one subs aren't great either... I noticed a few obvious errors in them, off the top of my head: junior high - > high school and a misspelling of a characters name. There were a few more though...
Also this isn't totally Crunchyroll's fault, it's more the Japanese companies. Seems like they didn't know how bad the Japanese-made subs were going to be, since they are working to fix it.

It's also probably better in general that crunchy licensed it, even if the subs are garbage, because it gets more attention for the show. Those pirate subs that fixed CR's translation are great, but if it wasn't licensed, it's highly unlikely they would have come out in less than a day like they did.
Also, this helps set a precedent for not using machine-translations in subs, before they become better and harder to distinguish.

Still partly Crunchy's fault, though. Just let hidive have it (since their subs are already garbage) and avoid the bad PR...
But wait, they can't do that, because they've gotta get the monopoly...
Oct 7, 2023 8:01 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to J0HN_L0CKE
They took it down but put it back up without fixing it?

Man, I'm only watching 4 shows this season, of course they'd pull this on one the few I'm gonna watch
@J0HN_L0CKE Damn. Four shows? I watched 10 shows just today. lmao
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 7, 2023 8:14 PM

May 2014
Reply to LostSpectre
@J0HN_L0CKE Damn. Four shows? I watched 10 shows just today. lmao
@LostSpectre depends on the season, this one was didn't have much that spoke to me. 2 are continuations (Tokyo revengers and spy family) and the other 2 were this show and 16 bit sensation
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Oct 7, 2023 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to J0HN_L0CKE
@LostSpectre depends on the season, this one was didn't have much that spoke to me. 2 are continuations (Tokyo revengers and spy family) and the other 2 were this show and 16 bit sensation
@J0HN_L0CKE Fair enough. I'm definitely going to drop a bunch of shows by at least the 3 episode mark.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 8, 2023 8:43 AM

Feb 2021
StarPebblit said:
Do you really expect quality from Crunchyroll, a company notorious for messing up subs in general when they 'don't like something' ? Common L. Don't give them your money. They need to learn.
According to people in the fansubbing community, CR subs are a lot better than most Hidive subs, Hulu subs, or Aniplex subs.

Also, how many examples do you have of them "messing up subs in general when they 'don't like something'"???
Oct 9, 2023 11:55 PM
Feb 2021
Reply to Orenjion
Ani-one subs aren't great either... I noticed a few obvious errors in them, off the top of my head: junior high - > high school and a misspelling of a characters name. There were a few more though...
Also this isn't totally Crunchyroll's fault, it's more the Japanese companies. Seems like they didn't know how bad the Japanese-made subs were going to be, since they are working to fix it.

It's also probably better in general that crunchy licensed it, even if the subs are garbage, because it gets more attention for the show. Those pirate subs that fixed CR's translation are great, but if it wasn't licensed, it's highly unlikely they would have come out in less than a day like they did.
Also, this helps set a precedent for not using machine-translations in subs, before they become better and harder to distinguish.

Still partly Crunchy's fault, though. Just let hidive have it (since their subs are already garbage) and avoid the bad PR...
@OrenjiDonatsu Not the best but atleast they are more readable then the crunchy one.
Oct 11, 2023 2:05 PM
Oct 2017
Subs seem to be fixed now. Took them a while but hey, at least before the next episode.

But hoping whoever dropped it solely because of the subs or avoided it thus far gives the show another chance now.
Oct 12, 2023 12:13 PM

Jun 2007
Reply to singinglupines
Supposedly these are third party subs from Avex which means Crunchyroll legally can't change a thing unless they renegiotate (like what happened with Link Click). Interesting that they took down the episode internationally and that it's only available in the US for now. Glad a lot of people are complaining!

Pro tip, if you know another language, it's only the English subs that suffer from this. I just watched with German subs instead 😅
@singinglupines

In most cases, CR's in-house subs use the Trebuchet MS font. Subs in Arial tend to come from somewhere else -- like various Aniplex properties, Gundam Witch from Mercury (Sunrise), and this series. So on a technical level, the "subs came from Avex" theory does have credibility.

---
Anyway, I checked out episode 1 ("Party of Five," the anime?), and it does seem like the subs have been improved/corrected. Though there are some minor mistakes ("43th Hoshigaoka Firework Festival", "taking care of my brother's studies", putting "Gakuto" in subs when Minato just says "Gaku") and wonky lines ("his pathos is like a father in his 40s"), the major issues were cleared up.

So for those hesitant to continue the series, you'll likely be able to get passable subs for future eps either on CR, one of the 4-5 uploading groups that rip from CR, or the bootleg streaming site of your choice.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Oct 13, 2023 9:31 PM
Feb 2019
Reply to kelpforest
Subs seem to be fixed now. Took them a while but hey, at least before the next episode.

But hoping whoever dropped it solely because of the subs or avoided it thus far gives the show another chance now.
@kelpforest thanks, just came here looking for this info.
I was interested in this series but held off when I heard about the subs. Now that they are finally fixed I'll give it a fair shot.
Oct 23, 2023 5:14 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Orenjion

@OrenjiDonatsu Just that one to my knowledge throughout these 3 episodes. It could be because they simply forgot to add "junior", a normal thing that sometimes happens to non-native English speakers. Other than that, I think it's fine. Meanwhile, the CR version translated Hayato-nii-san as brother Falcon. Lol.

WoodmannOct 23, 2023 6:31 AM
Oct 23, 2023 5:26 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Zalis
@singinglupines

In most cases, CR's in-house subs use the Trebuchet MS font. Subs in Arial tend to come from somewhere else -- like various Aniplex properties, Gundam Witch from Mercury (Sunrise), and this series. So on a technical level, the "subs came from Avex" theory does have credibility.

---
Anyway, I checked out episode 1 ("Party of Five," the anime?), and it does seem like the subs have been improved/corrected. Though there are some minor mistakes ("43th Hoshigaoka Firework Festival", "taking care of my brother's studies", putting "Gakuto" in subs when Minato just says "Gaku") and wonky lines ("his pathos is like a father in his 40s"), the major issues were cleared up.

So for those hesitant to continue the series, you'll likely be able to get passable subs for future eps either on CR, one of the 4-5 uploading groups that rip from CR, or the bootleg streaming site of your choice.
@Zalis no Japanese would translate Hayato-nii-san as Brother Falcon, lol.
It's clearly CR's in-house subs, cause otherwise, other streaming services, like Ani-One, would also have the same substitles.
Actually, CR's subtitles for other series are also pretty bad in my opinion.
Like Frieren and Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, for which I prefer the Amazon and Netflix versions.
Good thing they now have competition, unlike in the past where if they messed up, and no fansub came out, then we'd be stuck forever with their crap translations.
WoodmannOct 23, 2023 6:32 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 1, 2023

51 by Nay_L »»
May 24, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Dec 21, 2023

62 by Himitsu127 »»
Apr 30, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai. Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 14, 2023

25 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 23, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai. Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 7, 2023

23 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 23, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Yuzuki-san Chi no Yonkyoudai. Episode 9 Discussion

Ten - Nov 30, 2023

27 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 22, 1:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.