Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 17, 2023 10:32 AM

Jan 2018
Like I know shonen anime tends to be more mainstream but I have always this impression that Black Clover isn't that popular and only a small minority like the anime because of how badly this was recieved when it came out in 2017 compared to its peerslike MHA, Demon Slayer or JJK,  Now seeing it currently no. 2 at Netflix Worldwide is so crazy to me like what do you mean this movie is charting on 85 countries! ? On top of the movie being on many pirated sites and whats funny is that it also tops there! When did Black Clover became so mainstream? Ngl I'm very happy to this success because this will tell to the producers to bring the anime back asap
Jun 17, 2023 10:43 AM
May 2020
I mean, the anime itself has always been popular worldwide. It was one of the most watched animes on Crunchyroll a lot of the time while it was airing. The thing is, Black Clover isn't really that popular in Japan in comparison. They just aren't as big of fans of Black Clover over there, and since Japan's impressions and reactions to anime are taken into account much more heavily than international reactions, it can seem like Black Clover is treated like a less popular series. To clarify, I'm not saying it's the most popular thing ever. I'm just saying that Black Clover's audience is majority international unlike a lot of its peers, which effects how the series is handled. 
Jun 17, 2023 10:47 AM

Jan 2018
YoRHa_9z said:
I mean, the anime itself has always been popular worldwide. It was one of the most watched animes on Crunchyroll a lot of the time while it was airing. The thing is, Black Clover isn't really that popular in Japan in comparison. They just aren't as big of fans of Black Clover over there, and since Japan's impressions and reactions to anime are taken into account much more heavily than international reactions, it can seem like Black Clover is treated like a less popular series. To clarify, I'm not saying it's the most popular thing ever. I'm just saying that Black Clover's audience is majority international unlike a lot of its peers, which effects how the series is handled. 

It's currently no. 2 on Netflix Japan, idk how big netflix audience at japan but this should count to something right? I hope it gain new fans there
Jun 17, 2023 11:15 AM
Feb 2022
well it is popular anime what did you expect to flop
Jun 17, 2023 11:59 AM
Jul 2021
Black clover has always been a wierd case imo
Back then, it was cool to hate on black clover but slowly over the past 5-6 months i see everyone liking it. Atleast im happy this happened because i have always liked black clover
Jun 18, 2023 11:38 AM
Oct 2019
wonhallyu17 said:
YoRHa_9z said:

It's currently no. 2 on Netflix Japan, idk how big netflix audience at japan but this should count to something right? I hope it gain new fans there
#1 in Japan on Netflix today
Jun 18, 2023 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
It's been popular for a while. I mean, at one point, it was widely hated in the anime community. But I guess it was a series that got better for people as time went on. I think it started to get popular as the Elf arc was airing.
Jun 18, 2023 12:40 PM
Oct 2019
It's always been popular. It just never reached the heights of a few others because so many people shit on it when it released instead of giving it a chance. 

A lot of people that hate BC are just mindless drones who saw someone on social media make fun of it 6 years ago and decided "maybe if I make fun of it, too, and rate it lowly, etc., I'll finally have friends and my mom won't hate me and I can be with a real girl instead of using my waifu body pillow." But it turns out they're destined to be lonely, loser, morons for the rest of their lives.

Looking at anime-stats.net, BC premiered in October 2017 and it's rating bottomed out in late January/early February. After that it was on a constant, uninterrupted ascent, rising a full 1.0-point (out of 10) prior to its conclusion in March 2021. And then it rose another 0.3-points or so after it concluded (MAL rating algorithm for all shows), and another 0.4-points over the next 2 years. 

When did it become popular? It was always popular enough to receive significant hate (small or niche shows generally don't get enough attention to receive a lot of hate). But I think BC's consistent popularity increase probably started in 2018. It's just that the initial hate in 2017 prevented BC from truly blowing up as a franchise. So it's popular, it just isn't in that elite atmosphere.

But the thing BC has going for it is, it's almost unanimously agreed that every (canon) arc gets better as the show goes on. A lot of the shows that are "bigger" than BC can't say that. They'll have a good Arc and then a turd. Or they'll be waiting for one arc to end because they think the next one will be better. The consistency of BC and the quality of the story has been steadily recognized over the past 4-5 years.

AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY: I remember when all 4 MHA seasons (5 and 6 hadn't come out yet) were rated higher than BC by a full ~1.0-point on the MAL scale. Now BC is higher than all of the MHA seasons 1-5. 
HagePotPotatoJun 18, 2023 12:44 PM
Jun 18, 2023 8:56 PM
Sep 2015
Asta is also the debut role of newcomer voice actor Gakuto Kajiwara and at first people (including me) complain a lot about his voice. Now he's one of the most successful voice actor in anime industry, it's like his career is also reflect Asta's life.
Jun 19, 2023 12:33 AM
Jan 2021
When the anime finished on march 2021 it was number 1 on Crunchyroll in 81 countries!!! It is popular but not so much in Japan, as everyone said above me and that makes it seem like it’s less popular!!!
Jun 19, 2023 10:30 AM
Oct 2017
Haroldinho07 said:
When the anime finished on march 2021 it was number 1 on Crunchyroll in 81 countries!!! It is popular but not so much in Japan, as everyone said above me and that makes it seem like it’s less popular!!!
it's currently no 1 is japan for the last 2 days so it seems the popularity picked up a lot there too.
Jun 19, 2023 10:32 AM

Jul 2020
Black clover anime is one of the most watched in 83 countries if you didn't know

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2021-01-15/crunchyroll-reveals-most-watched-anime-of-2020-by-region/.168432

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 19, 2023 8:17 PM
Jun 22, 2023 6:31 PM

Mar 2014
The real question you should be asking is BC being this popular...where's that NEXT SEASON?!
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jun 22, 2023 7:12 PM
Jan 2019
HueyLion said:
The real question you should be asking is BC being this popular...where's that NEXT SEASON?!

This hope we get an announcement soon.
Jun 22, 2023 11:31 PM
Apr 2022
HagePotPotato said:
wonhallyu17 said:

can you send SCREEN SHOTS of it...as I don't a NETFLIX account but will surely buy it to SUPPORT BC

Really HAPPY as a BC FAN
Jun 23, 2023 7:32 AM
Oct 2019
WVM said:
HagePotPotato said:

can you send SCREEN SHOTS of it...as I don't a NETFLIX account but will surely buy it to SUPPORT BC

Really HAPPY as a BC FAN

It was #1 for 4- straight days. It's 3rd today.

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/japan/2023-06/

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Clover: Mahou Tei no Ken Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KayKimii - Jun 16, 2023

214 by scout_joe »»
May 16, 12:27 PM

» Can we get more MOVIES ?

HP445 - Sep 30, 2023

15 by Foreall908 »»
Oct 6, 2023 2:59 AM

» Continuation of the anime?

vaedeer - Dec 1, 2022

41 by vaedeer »»
Sep 30, 2023 12:50 PM

Poll: » Yami was nerfed?

Gonryo_Spectrum - Jul 9, 2023

12 by Scordolo »»
Jul 23, 2023 12:45 AM

» What did you score this and why? ( 1 2 )

aoo-kun - Jun 22, 2023

54 by Mewann »»
Jul 8, 2023 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.