Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 2022 5:35 AM
Jul 2021
How many of you grew up watching Ghibli film? I personally watched my first Ghibli movie in my teenage. But it feels like Ghibli movies are connected with my childhood and everytime I watch 'em it feels so nostalgic.

P.S: It's nothing much of an interesting topic to discuss but I just felt like knowing others opinion.
Jun 12, 2022 6:09 AM

Sep 2021
i did yeah, some of the first anime my parents introduced me to, the first movie i saw was my neighbour totoro, i have most Ghibli films on dvd and i think one or two in vhs im not sure lmao, they were probably what got me into anime
Jun 12, 2022 6:15 AM
Aug 2021
no, unfortunately my parents never liked anime so I didn't watch anything, not even stuff like Naruto or Pokemon. I got into anime when I was around 15 and it was kinda hard to tell mom I'm watching something she never wanted me to watch... but she respects my decisions so everything is fine.
Jun 12, 2022 6:26 AM
Feb 2021
I grew up with Disney, I’ve watched Ghibli movies only “recently”, and I’m really glad I did
Jun 12, 2022 6:38 AM
Struggler

Dec 2020
Yup, I definitely did, the biggest one being Howl's Moving Castle. The amount of times I watched the dub of that with my siblings was quite a lot.

Jun 12, 2022 6:55 AM
Oct 2020
Spirited away is an all time favourite in my household! My mom doesn’t like anime but it’s her favourite and she still enjoys it.
Jun 12, 2022 7:45 AM
Dec 2017
yup. as a Persian, I literally grow up with animes. but my first Ghibli's anime was Grave of the fireflies and I was 7 mabye? ... It was very sad and dark for me But I liked it so much.
Jun 12, 2022 8:27 AM
Aug 2021
Yes i did (15 ch limit)
Jun 12, 2022 9:18 AM

Feb 2020
We watched Spirited Away in art class in 6th grade, the next time I watched one was when I was 20. Absolutely love Ghibli btw.
Jun 12, 2022 9:50 AM

Jun 2021
only watched Spirited Away when i was a kid and it creeped the shit out of me
Jun 12, 2022 10:15 AM

Oct 2015
Yup, I remember watching Kiki's Delivery Service with my parents back when I was really little. Loved it back then, and it's still my favorite Ghibli film.
Jun 12, 2022 12:00 PM

Oct 2008
The first one I saw was Spirited Away when I was 10/11. I remember always seeing commercials about Kiki but I never got to watch it as a kid! I watched most of the other Ghibli movies starting around age 15/16.
Jun 12, 2022 12:22 PM
Nov 2021
I saw spirited away for the first time when I was about two or three, totoro when i was about five, ponyo at some point between six and ten, then both kikis delivery service and howls moving castle when I was about eleven - so yeah haha I’d say I grew up with them! I’ve since seen them pretty much all, but those are the first ones I saw :)
Jun 12, 2022 12:55 PM
Jan 2021
Oh yes definitely, I still remember the first time watching most of them which had been on dvds my mom had bought and feeling a way that was completely indescribable. Even as a seven year old, it was something about the animation and ost that left a profound impact on me, even moving me to tears. Nothing had I watched up until that point had made me feel the same way. I watched practically all of them and they were my absolute favorite movies in elementary school, Castle in the Sky having been my favorite movie of all time all the way from first grade through high school. Ghibli played a pivotal role in my life growing up and was my introduction to anime. I can’t imagine what my childhood would’ve been like without those movies.
Jun 12, 2022 4:08 PM
Mar 2020
I grew up watching ghibli yes. If my memory is correct, my first movies were:

Kiki’s delivery service
The cat returns
My neighbor Totoro.

Watched them all in one day as the channel that broadcasted animated shows and movies had just gotten the rights to air these movies, so it was kind of a ghibli fest that cold day of 2005.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 12, 2022 4:35 PM
May 2022
Only one I had watched was secret world of arriety but I thought it was beautiful when I first watched it and when I rewatched it as an adult.
Jun 12, 2022 8:16 PM
Dec 2021
Yes!! My mom introduced my brother and I to the Ghibli films when we were very young. I believe Laputa: Castle in the Sky was my first one ^-^ I've watched a lot of others along the way and even have some in DVD. My favorites would have to be Kikki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, The Secret World of Arrietty, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away
Jun 13, 2022 2:25 AM
Feb 2021
Yes sir!
My mother was an anime fan growing up in the 90s so i watched Studio Ghibli movies like Laputa and Kikis. But also Naruto, bleach, Dragon ball. I couldn’t read. I didn’t know english. But i had fun. Because cool guys doing cool things (and ghibli got translated to Swedish hehe)
Jun 13, 2022 9:52 AM
Oct 2021
Ghibli films are part of my childhood other then Dragon Ball Z.
Totoro and Kiki are my favourites back then and now I love their other films too still have to watch many of their films.
Jun 13, 2022 11:45 AM
Sep 2020
Yep! My dad introduced them to me when I was in grade 3, used to watch the movies 2-3 times every year xD.
Jun 13, 2022 2:03 PM
Sep 2019
PaikaPingreen said:
no, unfortunately my parents never liked anime so I didn't watch anything, not even stuff like Naruto or Pokemon. I got into anime when I was around 15 and it was kinda hard to tell mom I'm watching something she never wanted me to watch... but she respects my decisions so everything is fine.

I had a really similar experience as a kid. My mom did rent Kiki's for my sister and I sometime in the 90s but she didn't like it, and that was it lol. Ghibli was my major introduction to anime as an adult, and now here I am. As an adult though, I've introduced my mom to it all, and we've watched almost all the Ghibli movies together, along with a handful of other movies and most of Non Non Biyori. she actually enjoys it now haha!
Jun 13, 2022 5:43 PM
Dec 2021
Yes I definitely did, especially Kiki’s Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro, which are still probably my favorite movies
Jun 13, 2022 6:21 PM
May 2021
I did. Spirited Away was so huge when it came out that we had it on disk. And my sister adored My Neighbor Totoro as a kid. I feel very strongly about each and every film. They're all so good.
Jun 14, 2022 3:02 AM
Jun 2017
i grew up with anime in general, but my father especially likes ghibli movies, so he just bought almost every movie he could find and i watched them all.

My father doesn't watch anime usually but he really likes ghibli, captain harlock, gundam and star blazers.
Also made him watch psycho pass and ergo proxy lmao
Jun 14, 2022 5:24 AM
Aug 2021
Nyamaste said:
PaikaPingreen said:

I had a really similar experience as a kid. My mom did rent Kiki's for my sister and I sometime in the 90s but she didn't like it, and that was it lol. Ghibli was my major introduction to anime as an adult, and now here I am. As an adult though, I've introduced my mom to it all, and we've watched almost all the Ghibli movies together, along with a handful of other movies and most of Non Non Biyori. she actually enjoys it now haha!

That's great! I told my mom what Steins;gate is about and she was really interested, so I might watch it with her later... even though I don't really want to because of the sexual jokes... xD but it's still nice that she moved on and is willing to watch anime with me.
Jun 14, 2022 7:40 AM
Feb 2021
I’d start watching Ghibli movies a long time ago (since I was 5 and now I’m 15), ‘cuz some os them like My Neighbor Totoro, Pony and Kiki Delivery’s I watched in a tv channel from my country, but in that time i didn’t even know what anime is so i thought that was just another animation movies like Disney, for example, but always more interesting. And a years ago I rewatched those movies again knowing what is animes and was a lot of nostalgic from my childhood and I usually watch with my mom new movies or rewatch movies that we watched years ago
gabizuJun 14, 2022 7:50 AM
Jun 14, 2022 7:58 AM
Jan 2021
Yes. My first movie is Castle in the Sky. I was intrigued by the art style and fantasy setting.
CynicalDiogenesJun 14, 2022 8:02 AM
Jun 14, 2022 7:25 PM
May 2021
Yeah I did! Spirited Away was the first one I saw when I was 9 and I was instantly hooked. I remember renting as many Ghibli movies as I could find from the tiny anime section at my local Blockbuster haha
Jun 14, 2022 10:03 PM

Sep 2020
Unfortunately, no, I didn't grow up watching Ghibli movies, they aren't popular here. I came to be aware of them as I got more invested in anime, and am enjoying them now.
Jun 26, 2022 9:54 PM
May 2020
The first time I watched a Ghibli Movie was on a school trip to a local theater in the 4th grade and we watched Spirited Away. At the time I thought it was very scary. And the next year we went to see My neighbor Totoro.
Aug 28, 2022 1:25 PM

Apr 2017
Unfortunately no. Not sure if VHS tapes of Ghibli films were even available in Sweden. Maybe when Spirited Away came along, but I was starting to get older at the time.

I wish my parents knew more about films and didn't just buy me whatever random cartoon looking thing they happened to find.
At least they never bought me the atrocities from the German (?) animation company Dingo Pictures.
Aug 28, 2022 1:53 PM

Jul 2019
Yes. One of the main ways that I experienced Japanese animation as a child. Ghibli is well known to people of the parental generation.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 28, 2022 1:57 PM

Oct 2014
When I was in Middle school my art teacher went to Japan and when she came back she had us watch Spirited Away and gave us tea and candy she brought back. It was pretty cool but I didn't fully understand what anime was back then.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo no Takkyuubin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - Jul 9, 2008

122 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 14, 10:09 PM

» Moral of the story?

QueenModdy - Jun 13, 2011

8 by HibiChika »»
Jan 19, 2022 12:44 PM

» About the cat.

Sonata - Mar 28, 2016

8 by Rob7 »»
Apr 21, 2021 5:02 PM

» Kiki's Delivery Service ---> Amazon Drone Delivery

J_LEE_C - Mar 29, 2018

13 by LIQfilms »»
Mar 30, 2018 1:02 PM

» Looking for subbed?

Godel - Jul 16, 2008

8 by Setsuna200 »»
Dec 28, 2012 6:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.