Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2016 1:59 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This discussion contains spoilers, obviously.

~~~

So if I have anything to take away from the movie, it is that

S4 is amazing,

The Headmaster is trash,

Rola/Yume are the ultimate gal pals.

The movie seemed (this isn't a criticism) like a Precure movie to me. It had a movie only character, it had a self contained story that won't affect the larger narrative of the show, etc.

The thing that stuck out to me the most was that, in a way, it felt like the relationships within the movie did not match the show. This movie is coming out around episode 18, and at this point in the show Ako and Mahiru are not really in Yume's clique yet. They are arguably friends, but they are not very close. But in the movie the five of them (Yume Koharu Rola Mahiru and Ako) are all like best friends. It was kind of jarring to see them act more friendly than I had up to this point. (Ako and Koharu are especially close, which was cute and I can see the anime headed in that direction after episode 17).

It was cool to /finally/ see S4 perform together. Their appeal was amazing.

I said earlier the headmaster was trash....and it was because he was the cause of the movie's conflict, as usual. I don't know how the show is going to explain his backstory or redeem him at some point, because he is kind of getting too annoying to sympathize with.

The movie seemed super yuri-ish with Yume/Rola stuff. There was a scene where I SWEAR I thought they were going to kiss, ahahah. It got a /tad/ too melodramatic at times, but it was still a good side story to the main series.
Aug 15, 2016 10:57 AM

May 2012
I am curious about if Hime Shiratori can do the rainbow effect like Yume. Did it happen in the movie?
Aug 16, 2016 1:27 AM

Jul 2008
RDF2050 said:
I am curious about if Hime Shiratori can do the rainbow effect like Yume. Did it happen in the movie?

No. Hime only performed with S4.
Aug 21, 2016 1:23 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
where i can see the movie?????
you watched in movie theater?
or its just an preview analisis?
lucio54Aug 21, 2016 1:28 PM
Aug 26, 2016 1:20 PM
Aug 2016
I haven't watched it,(obviously why I'm asking.. lol.) but did M4 get any screentime? I realllyy like Subaru. HE MA CUTIE PATOOTIE but so are the other guys though.
Aug 27, 2016 11:34 PM

Jul 2008
Sinnamons said:
I haven't watched it,(obviously why I'm asking.. lol.) but did M4 get any screentime? I realllyy like Subaru. HE MA CUTIE PATOOTIE but so are the other guys though.

Yes. M4 is in it too.
Feb 8, 2017 11:11 PM

May 2013
finally watched it.
I loved chemistry between rola and yume here. especially the scene when they run each other in sunset.
Feb 10, 2017 8:22 AM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
I even make a review, really liked this movie.
Feb 15, 2017 6:38 AM
Sep 2016
It was good, but I honestly expected a bigger budget.
Mar 6, 2017 9:07 PM

May 2013
kamisu said:
i'm watching aikatsu stars! atm (almost caught up), but seeing that this movie has been marked as a side story rather than a sequel, would it be alright for me to just jump into this rather than finishing the 23 episodes i have left?

the movie is set after episode 18, so you can watch it if you already watch that episode.
Mar 10, 2017 10:42 PM

Jan 2012
What a tease this movie was with Yume and Rola in the sunset! Man, this storyline should've been saved for Yume (or even Ako) and Subaru. But hey, friendly kisses on the cheek with like Hime to her fans are a good place to start! I like where things were going here, despite having seen this movie quite late relative to where the TV show stands now. It's only a matter of time before Koharu makes her grand return as well...
Mar 12, 2017 10:13 PM

Oct 2012
Ahhhhhhh. The fact that I'm watching this movie so long after the episodes that it took place between makes it so conflicting on me xD
Like I have to remember that they mellowed out Moroboshi in the later eps and that at this point in the story he was still depicted as a sinister principal with some sort of ulterior motive as his end goal
Also Mahiru and Ako still weren't the best of friends yet, and you can sort of see it in the way that Mahiru and Ako's portions are sort of disjointed from the main narrative, they're there but aren't given as much as a presence, except for Mahiru, but she takes a step back at the end to focus on just Yume and Laura again.

This movie also makes me feel that while Yume x Subaru was a possible route they could develop (which they are doing now), back then it was just one possibility among a couple others, most notably being Yume x Laura. Like legit this caused some waves of conflict within me. My heart has developed for Yume x Subaru, but this ep back then would have made me like Yume x Laura more. It's hard to pick between them so I'll just use the butterfly effect to liken it to being two different world lines, one with Subaru x Yume, and another with Laura x Yume insert 'why not both?' meme here

Also, how long has it been since I've heard episode solo? Ah it's just as great as I remember it being~

I think it was a very enjoyable movie, as a whole I really enjoyed it but I do feel that for those that pick up Aikatsu Stars at this point in time will appreciate the movie a lot more. It was definitely a fun watch, but I feel that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I rewatched the first 18 eps and then this, because narratively it would fit in better and I wouldn't have to constantly remind myself that event x hasn't happened yet or person y hasn't been developed yet.
So I think that newer people that pick up the series will benefit from having this to watch immediately when they get to that point in the story and will have an enhanced appreciation for it.

Nonetheless though, I still really loved it and I loved seeing Maori~
At this point unfortunately, I think Subaru x Yume has been developed a bit too much in recent eps for me to truly appreciate Laura x Yume like I should as a dirty shoujo ai/yuri lover but if I do accept Subaru x Yume as my favorite ship, Laura x Yume will remain one of the strongest ships in my heart

A big thank you from the Aikatsu Stars cast for watching their fun movie!
gust11Mar 12, 2017 10:48 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Mar 17, 2017 12:22 PM

Mar 2013
I enjoyed the movie a lot but can this really be considered a movie? because I feel that this was originally 2-3 episodes but someone decided that they should merge them into one and call it a movie. the obvious reason for this thought is that this fits perfectly into the original plot more specifically right after episode 18 and the reason I know that (aside from reading some of the comments in this discussion) is that I took a quick look at episode 19 and yeah you can see it's missing content.

Well enough about that, time to talk about the movie and what can I say other than It was great from start to finish it had so many good points I especially liked the conflict between yume and laura. still disappointed that there not using koharu to her fullest though it was nice to see her with ako. if anything I think mahiru was the one that wasn't really used that well she was mostly motivation for laura. I guess the only real downside (other than this not really being a movie) is that there wasn't really that much aikatsu humor which is one of the things I really enjoy about aikatsu (that and the music). why did this tease a yuri moment between yume and rola/laura?
Mar 20, 2017 10:31 PM

Jun 2008
That was very gay.
Aug 5, 2017 10:42 AM

Jun 2012
This was great, but Laura was so OOC really. They've never fought before in the whole show, not even once. But we did get Yume x Laura near the end so I'm not complaining.

Felt like most of the other characters didn't really do anything though. M4 might as well have been absent.
Nov 7, 2019 10:29 PM

Jul 2017
That was a nice movie, especially for the length.

The Yuri undertones between Yume and Rola though. There have been some before between characters in the previous series but they really didn't hold back this time. I was almost 100% convinced they were gonna kiss for a second lmao

May 9, 10:34 AM

Apr 2023
I love maori!! I hope she gets a mention on episode 19! (also, yumelaura my loves i love them)

More topics from this board

» In cinemas - starting tommorow

kamil88 - Aug 12, 2016

2 by Gar_Logan »»
Aug 13, 2016 1:53 AM

» PV + Key Visual

megmica - Jul 6, 2016

3 by AzuStar »»
Aug 7, 2016 4:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.