Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 8, 2014 1:59 PM

Jun 2014
So I'm thinking of watching the Gundam series(at Mobile Suit Gundam) but for some reason I'm reluctant to. Is it worth the hype? Does it compare to LoGH the top-tier anime on MAL (watched first two episodes, this will turn into something amazing, I know it).

Lets have a positive discussion and I want to hear your answers people.
Should I start the Gundam journey?
All credit goes to Sacred.
Dec 8, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2012
FireEmblemIke24 said:
? Does it compare to LoGH the top-tier anime on MAL ?

mal elitist wannabe.
nothing to do here
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Dec 8, 2014 2:02 PM

Sep 2013
It's worth the trip. Like anything, there's good and there's bad. If the original is too old for you, try to watch some of the more recent alternative universe entries like Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, and After War X.
Dec 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2013
You should totally watch the Gundam series!

Gundam is one of the most influential and historically important anime around. While I don't think that the anime are LOTGH level (not much is in terms of complexity) they are still fun to watch and will make you think

ninjastarforcex said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

mal elitist wannabe.
nothing to do here

Or perhaps he just really likes the show?
Dec 8, 2014 2:03 PM
Nov 2013
Hype? Which hype Gundam has o.O? Watch the Mobile Suit Gundam. Is good. The series as a whole is a kind of trainwreck, you'll love some and hate others. But it's a great journey.
Dec 8, 2014 2:05 PM

Jun 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

mal elitist wannabe.
nothing to do here

Is that all you have to say?
Dec 8, 2014 2:08 PM

Feb 2010
It's no LOGH, that's for sure, but with all the side-story OVAs and alternative universes it can offer a lot of variety. I can only tell you about the UC timeline though since I haven't seen any others yet. And it's definitely worth a watch, though the original MSG might be a challenge because of how old it is and tbh I didn't like it all that much on my first watch either, the movie trilogy that I watched later made me appreciate it a lot more.
Zeta (the sequel) is just very good all around.

But the best parts so far have been 8th MS Team and War in the Pocket, both side-story OVAs that probably also work as standalones, though some basic knowledge of the two opposing factions and the general setting are likely to improve the experience.

So my recommendation is you either try out these OVAs on their own, or start with the original MSG and see if you like it, if not there's still the re-edited movie version that you could try, which is more to the point and has better animation.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 8, 2014 2:09 PM

May 2013
Don't watch the Zeta compilation movies.
Dec 8, 2014 2:10 PM

Jun 2014
NebulaC3I said:
It's worth the trip. Like anything, there's good and there's bad. If the original is too old for you, try to watch some of the more recent alternative universe entries like Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, and After War X.

Evatallica said:
You should totally watch the Gundam series!

Gundam is one of the most influential and historically important anime around. While I don't think that the anime are LOTGH level (not much is in terms of complexity) they are still fun to watch and will make you think

ninjastarforcex said:

mal elitist wannabe.
nothing to do here

Or perhaps he just really likes the show?
Kolnikov said:
Hype? Which hype Gundam has o.O? Watch the Mobile Suit Gundam. Is good. The series as a whole is a kind of trainwreck, you'll love some and hate others. But it's a great journey.

Awesome thanks for the replies.
Dec 8, 2014 2:11 PM

Sep 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
But the best parts so far have been 8th MS Team and War in the Pocket, both side-story OVAs that probably also work as standalones, though some basic knowledge of the two opposing factions and the general setting are likely to improve the experience.

This man knows where it's at.
Dec 8, 2014 2:17 PM

Jun 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
It's no LOGH, that's for sure, but with all the side-story OVAs and alternative universes it can offer a lot of variety. I can only tell you about the UC timeline though since I haven't seen any others yet. And it's definitely worth a watch, though the original MSG might be a challenge because of how old it is and tbh I didn't like it all that much on my first watch either, the movie trilogy that I watched later made me appreciate it a lot more.

So my recommendation is you either try out these OVAs on their own, or start with the original MSG and see if you like it, if not there's still the re-edited movie version that you could try, which is more to the point and has better animation.
KokkoClaus said:
Don't watch the Zeta compilation movies.

Thanks for replies.
And no, I will not watch the compilation movies. If I watch the TV series I feel I can appropriately judge the franchise as a whole.
Dec 8, 2014 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
Gundam is a very enjoyable franchise with alot to offer, though i would avoid comparing it to LOTGH as they go for alot of different approaches.

While some have mentioned the zeta compilations being bad(which they are) id argue the oriignal shows movie trilogy is a better watch than the original show is. I think the best place to start is with 079(the original gundam) as its the one that started it all, then from there just watch zeta, ZZ, char's counterattack, then finally unicorn. Any other show can be watch in any other order.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 8, 2014 2:26 PM

Jun 2012
Each gundam is about 50 eps each so if you want to watch all of them youre in for a long ride.
Dec 8, 2014 2:29 PM

Jun 2014
JizzyHitler said:
Gundam is a very enjoyable franchise with alot to offer, though i would avoid comparing it to LOTGH as they go for alot of different approaches.

While some have mentioned the zeta compilations being bad(which they are) id argue the oriignal shows movie trilogy is a better watch than the original show is. I think the best place to start is with 079(the original gundam) as its the one that started it all, then from there just watch zeta, ZZ, char's counterattack, then finally unicorn. Any other show can be watch in any other order.

I've always known that LoGH wasn't going to be an action-orientated show, otherwise I wouldn't have started the series.
Dec 8, 2014 2:32 PM

Jun 2014
Sol_Ou said:
Each gundam is about 50 eps each so if you want to watch all of them youre in for a long ride.

And this from your experience, how did it go? That's just an excuse, episode length does not affect my enjoyment value.
Dec 8, 2014 2:33 PM

Mar 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
watched first two episodes, this will turn into something amazing, I know it.

I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam recently as well, after being reluctant to start it.

It has a slow start, with those first handful of episodes mostly being focused on the Gundam fighting Zakus and whatnot, but it really begins to pick up around episode 8 or 9. I'm currently on episode 16, and have been enjoying it a lot.

FireEmblemIke24 said:

You should definitely continue on with it, yeah. :)
Even though I don't know too much about the rest of the franchise, I'm already sold on the first series being something special.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 8, 2014 2:39 PM

Jun 2014
vigorousjammer said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:
watched first two episodes, this will turn into something amazing, I know it.

I started watching Mobile Suit Gundam recently as well, after being reluctant to start it.

It has a slow start, with those first handful of episodes mostly being focused on the Gundam fighting Zakus and whatnot, but it really begins to pick up around episode 8 or 9. I'm currently on episode 16, and have been enjoying it a lot.

FireEmblemIke24 said:

You should definitely continue on with it, yeah. :)
Even though I don't know too much about the rest of the franchise, I'm already sold on the first series being something special.

downloading the episodes right now!
Dec 8, 2014 2:44 PM

May 2013
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Sol_Ou said:

And this from your experience, how did it go? That's just an excuse, episode length does not affect my enjoyment value.

I started watching Gundam 3 months ago or so and I've enjoyed it immensely. It's awesome to know that there's a bazillion more shows I haven't watched yet.
Dec 8, 2014 2:51 PM
Nov 2013
KokkoClaus said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

I started watching Gundam 3 months ago or so and I've enjoyed it immensely. It's awesome to know that there's a bazillion more shows I haven't watched yet.

Couldn't have said better. The quantity just makes everything better. Even if you don't like one or two, there are infinite and they keep coming.
Dec 8, 2014 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Moved
Belongs under anime being discussed.

-Do to this I moved it under the oldest Gundam, if you would rather be under another one, let me know-

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 8, 2014 2:57 PM

Jun 2012
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Sol_Ou said:

I didnt say it was a bad experience. I just said it'll be a long ride. Your looking at at least 500 episodes. I personally enjoyed all of them. And yes its based off my experience. I believe Ive watched all the mothership titles. The only ones I havent watched yet are igloo and 8th ms.
Sol_OuDec 8, 2014 3:03 PM
Dec 9, 2014 8:34 AM

Jun 2014
Sol_Ou said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

I didnt say it was a bad experience. I just said it'll be a long ride. Your looking at at least 500 episodes. I personally enjoyed all of them. And yes its based off my experience. I believe Ive watched all the mothership titles. The only ones I havent watched yet are igloo and 8th ms.

One Piece and Naruto > 600 eps, gundam having 500 episodes i'll be fine

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

55 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:36 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

60 by Tivrusky444 »»
May 18, 12:28 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

43 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 16, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 4, 2009

56 by CartoonVelocirap »»
May 16, 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.