Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 24, 5:29 AM
Jul 2021

I think this would be the most difficult trial to pull off.

Could you convince someone without a doubt that Light committed these crimes.

Could you convince someone that the book had magical powers.

Could you convince someone that Light knew for a fact that the book would work. (In the case of the first murder, Light just thought the book to be a hoax.)

Light could claim to have written the names after the deaths occurred.

This trial would be incredibility difficult to prosecute, and with a good lawyer, Light has at least a 20% or higher chance of being let go.

Your thoughts?

(Note: Light is in Japan. If he were in America this would be even harder get a conviction.)
Mar 24, 6:29 AM
Oct 2010
Agreed. A trial would be very hard to get a conviction. Not to mention if he finds out the names of the people opposing him can easily arrange for some type of “accident“ with the book. Not to mention based on his attitude and demeanor, no one would ever consider that he’s actually the person behind any of those crimes. So I agree I don’t think that he would get convicted if he went to trial in either Japan or America.
Mar 24, 6:43 AM

Jul 2011
While it might seem difficult to prove, there are ways to prove this.

They already know that Light doesn't have to be there for the killing to happen, as seen in episode 2 when L was tracking him down. The video alone is proof that the book could have magic involved.

Have anyone involved in the case touch the death note and show them Ryuk, or whichever Shinigami is connected to the book. It might be wrong to do, but for the trial, it would be needed.

Lastly, to prove the book works, just kill a death row inmate. Either bring him to the court or have a camera set up that is watching him.

It might be hard to prove, but there are ways you could prove it.
Mar 24, 6:52 AM

Jul 2022
Assuming the trial happens in a world that's like ours in every way (save the Death Note, of course), you're essentially going to have to convince a dozen people beyond a reasonable doubt that magic is real.

I'd be shocked if the case even made it trial, let alone one that ends with a guilty verdict.
Mar 24, 6:54 AM

Jun 2014
Yes, he admitted to it all basically in a room with several officers and said he won. The means of committing the murders was the Death Note which they all knew how it worked. It was check mate by L.
Mar 24, 7:03 AM
Nov 2019
Losho said:
Yes, he admitted to it all basically in a room with several officers and said he won. The means of committing the murders was the Death Note which they all knew how it worked. It was check mate by L.

You don’t get the question here. What you’ve just said is the problem. There were only a few people in that room. All he said wasn’t recorded. Also his commitment would mean nothing on a trial since that doesn’t prove him doing the killing.
Mar 24, 7:43 AM
Nov 2018
I guess that's if they figure out his method of killing. Proof that the notebook works. Then it would be easy I think since they can verify his hand writing. To be honest it would be hard just believing a notebook killed countless people across the world. If it wasn't for L they would of thought it was a disease or something going around? I wouldn't know how they would start a investigation of criminals suddenly dieing of heart attacks and other accidents. I don't even think they know where to start or think someone was murdering criminals.
MoppitMar 24, 7:48 AM
Mar 24, 7:53 AM

Oct 2013
I mean they're in japan right? Guilty until proven innocent, so light must take the L until it proven otherwise.
Mar 24, 7:58 AM

Jul 2015
There's no way that any judge or jury would take claim of a notebook being a murder weapon seriously.

Mar 24, 7:58 AM
Mar 2023
No L, no near. Than yes. I can see him represent himself and convincing the jury that the police are just pining the murders on him so they can shut the public up and are doing it cause they don’t like that he is a detective just because his dad was one
Mar 24, 9:13 AM

Dec 2020
I think it would be pretty difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a high schooler killed so many people with a note book.
Mar 24, 9:32 AM
Sep 2021
Losho said:

a confession doesn't prove guilt. There have been countless people proven innocent when they've given a false confession. People give false confessions for many different reasons. Protecting someone else, being scared, cohearced, saying what they think the officer wants to hear so they can leave quicker..

Just admitting it in a room proves nothing.
Mar 24, 4:44 PM
Nov 2022
In the USA maybe not be in Japan because of their legal system probably. Nearly no one gets found not guilty.
Mar 25, 7:01 AM
Jul 2022
In the context of Death Note.
In my Opinion; Light's actions shouldn't lead to conviction.

R1: The notebook itself holds the power, not Light directly. It's a tool, not a weapon or magic wielded by him. Convincing someone that a notebook can kill may seem absurd in our world, and attempting to test it would likely fail due to ethical concerns around execution methods.

R2:With a skilled lawyer, Light could argue that he only wrote names after the deaths occurred, potentially increasing his chances of acquittal.Furthermore, the power of the Death Note transcends human rules .

R3:Possessing it dooms the user to a predetermined fate, leading to death and transformation into a Shinigami upon losing it. Thus, even if caught, Light faces a fate worse than imprisonment "in their opinion",it is positive only because there is no chance of being sent to hell for eternity.

Out of context: the irony for Light is that once his identity as Kira is revealed, the purpose of his existence is tied to the Death Note's power.
What meaning to his life after losing a tool that defined his actions and purpose?

Nothing but depression.
Unless, he closes the contract and forgets all memories related to it, This also could be useful to get him out of jail.
EmoDanteMar 25, 7:05 AM
Mar 25, 7:03 AM

Jan 2009
only real lawyers can answer this imo
Mar 31, 7:52 PM

Aug 2019
You'd have to submit the Death Note as evidence, which might be hard to do because hardly any judge would entertain the thought that it really has magical powers to begin with. Of course someone could potentially test it in court, but that's betting on someone actually taking the case seriously enough to write a name down.
Apr 2, 5:39 AM
Dec 2021
it doesn't matter if they can convict him of murder. they can convict him of making threats to kill, black mail, terrorism (by holding governments hostage), interfering in police investigations and mishandling of evidence. he would go to prison for life, just maybe not for murder.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - Apr 18, 2007

124 by N_Erwann »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - Apr 11, 2007

124 by N_Erwann »»
Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

399 by N_Erwann »»
Yesterday, 9:18 AM

» Does anyone find the post time-skip story kind of...bad?

VanVeleca - May 24

41 by Absurdo_N »»
Jun 13, 1:28 PM

» What detectives from other series do you think could solve the Kira case?

TheBlockernator - Jun 5

49 by deg »»
Jun 13, 1:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.