Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 31, 8:28 PM

Jun 2019
Reply to Yubisoft
phantom346 said:
Fake news. The blue ray sales are not the only source of income for the studio

Literally the title : Konosuba season 3 will need insane profits just to break even . Nobody said blu rays are the only most important source of revenue. Blu rays are important for studios in Japan because the Japanese market ... you know .. the priority market of Japan still buys them a lot mainly for collector's reasons etc . The western market where blu ray sales are not good is not important for Japanese studios . They most important source of revenue in general for Japanese studios is the Japanese market .

phantom346 said:
Their main source of income in from selling streaming rights and merch sales.

Can you give us where you got your info that blu ray sales are no longer important for Japanese studios ? All I see is you and other salty people like : @Ionliosite2 (''totally unexcepted'') , @Yuri_Niji , @MaisUmWeeb , @baldingcheeto being extremely rude to someone without providing absolutely nothing to prove him wrong and borderline cyberbullying him just because you know deep down the 'Konosuba season 3 will need insane profits just to break even' and 'Konosuba s3 will probably need oshi no season 1 sales just to continue. Since it has to cover for its spinoff doing so poor. It will need to make headlines in spring and probably be considered the best anime of all time.' might be true .

phantom346 said:
Don't pay attention to anything this account says.

So users who don't agree with you should not comment on forums . Great mindset .

In other words if you want to counter someone , don't trash talk him but ''destroy'' with your info politely

Yubisoft said:
Can you give us where you got your info that blu ray sales are no longer important for Japanese studios ? All I see is you and other salty people like : @Ionliosite2 (''totally unexcepted'') , @Yuri_Niji , @MaisUmWeeb , @baldingcheeto being extremely rude to someone without providing absolutely nothing to prove him wrong and borderline cyberbullying him just because you know deep down the 'Konosuba season 3 will need insane profits just to break even' and 'Konosuba s3 will probably need oshi no season 1 sales just to continue. Since it has to cover for its spinoff doing so poor. It will need to make headlines in spring and probably be considered the best anime of all time.' might be true .

I have no obligation of explaining someone that BD sales are not the only revenue stream for anime and that they have been a declining indication of the overall success of a series (tbh, they never really were the singular indicator people like to pretend they were but that's besides the point), this is a topic that has been discussed to death in this community and anyone who isn't up to date on this information really only has themselves to blame at this point, I'm sorry. If you really want a pointer on this subject, go watch Canipa's video on Chainsaw Man's commercial performance.
Mar 31, 8:42 PM

Apr 2021
I'm just going to give my two cents on the BD discussion by citing this statement from Wit's president George Wada:

There seems to be a trend with Wit Studio passing to work on continuations of previous projects such as Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga, and The Ancient Magus' Bride. Is this a matter of scheduling conflicts or a change in the studio's approach to accepting projects?

WADA: For all the titles that Wit Studio has done, we wanted to create the continuations of those series. Five years earlier, for a lot of these titles, one of the biggest factors was DVD sales. As a business model, the decision to make a sequel depended entirely on DVD sales. At that time, for all of those titles that you just mentioned, we had only been contracted for season one. Then once the DVD sales results come in, we would get an offer to do a second season based on that. At that time, my management skills weren't as good as they are today so I couldn't add [the next seasons] to the schedule right away because I already had other shows lined up for funding. And of course, the fans and the publishers want to get the second season out as quickly as possible, which is what leads to it being animated by another studio.

That can't really be helped, so I think that was the right choice in those cases. So because of the increase in the number of global fans and the number of streaming platforms that are available, it allows us to make more long-ended decisions on continuing to do a series. What I'd like to do with Wit Studio in the future, is that we now have the financial basis to continue to contract for longer periods.

What sort of information then do you look at now if DVD sales aren't as big of an influence in the decision-making?

WADA: Streaming platforms, such as Netflix and Crunchyroll, generate a certain amount of revenue based on the number of paying subscribers, so that's what their basis is. Before, as you know, DVDs were expensive, and not very many people could buy them. Now, that the basis for determining whether or not to continue a series depends on how many people are watching, it's much easier to predict and make a decision.
Apr 1, 12:51 AM

May 2021
Reply to MaisUmWeeb
Yubisoft said:

I have no obligation of explaining someone that BD sales are not the only revenue stream for anime and that they have been a declining indication of the overall success of a series (tbh, they never really were the singular indicator people like to pretend they were but that's besides the point), this is a topic that has been discussed to death in this community and anyone who isn't up to date on this information really only has themselves to blame at this point, I'm sorry. If you really want a pointer on this subject, go watch Canipa's video on Chainsaw Man's commercial performance.
@MaisUmWeeb In other words you have absolutely nothing to prove what you said and you just came to say nothing constructive other than trust me bro source and trying to start a flame war. Expected nothing less from people like you who nothing better to do ....
YubisoftApr 1, 1:17 AM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Apr 1, 1:58 AM
Jan 2018
Reply to phantom346
Fake news. The blue ray sales are not the only source of income for the studio and has almost nothing to do with profits. Their main source of income in from selling streaming rights and merch sales.

Don't pay attention to anything this account says. He made this account to shill for Oshi no Ko and shit on other anime.
@phantom346 don’t think Studios see much profit from Blu-ray/Dvd sales anyway that also goes to higher ups in the production committee like Kadokawa etc
Apr 2, 3:46 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Ionliosite2
@Yubisoft Nagatoro got a second season despite selling below 1000 copies, hell even Shadow House that is less popular and that also sold like shit got a second season. Blu-rays are still important as they can net profit, sure, but that isn't what makes series get new seasons, it depends on the committee behind the production.
@Ionliosite2 for konosuba, obviously they are going to need blu ray profits. The lns long ended, fantastic days isn't raking in money anymore etc. I expect them to calling quits at season 4. Since streaming has pretty much crushed blu rays to now only yuri or yuri bait sells. Chainsaw man is proof of this.
Apr 2, 3:52 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Yubisoft
phantom346 said:
Fake news. The blue ray sales are not the only source of income for the studio

Literally the title : Konosuba season 3 will need insane profits just to break even . Nobody said blu rays are the only most important source of revenue. Blu rays are important for studios in Japan because the Japanese market ... you know .. the priority market of Japan still buys them a lot mainly for collector's reasons etc . The western market where blu ray sales are not good is not important for Japanese studios . They most important source of revenue in general for Japanese studios is the Japanese market .

phantom346 said:
Their main source of income in from selling streaming rights and merch sales.

phantom346 said:
Don't pay attention to anything this account says.

So users who don't agree with you should not comment on forums . Great mindset .

In other words if you want to counter someone , don't trash talk him but ''destroy'' with your info politely

@Yubisoft season 3 is already off to a bad start. Bds pos opened and it didnt chart. Especially since episode 1 leaked. Go on social media, r/anime and you see a ton of people criticizing the forced comedy, lackluster animation, poor plot progression.

And these aren't haters who are like "who is watching this" but people who actually loved the first 2 seasons and movie. Also the bds aren't selling good. If bakuen sold so poorly just the year prior, dead giveaway interest is already rapidly disappeared.
Apr 2, 3:54 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Ionliosite2 for konosuba, obviously they are going to need blu ray profits. The lns long ended, fantastic days isn't raking in money anymore etc. I expect them to calling quits at season 4. Since streaming has pretty much crushed blu rays to now only yuri or yuri bait sells. Chainsaw man is proof of this.
@SpiderMiles3523 Chainsaw Man sold poorly because it was a shit adaptation, not because "only yuri or yuri bait sells".
Apr 2, 4:00 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Yubisoft season 3 is already off to a bad start. Bds pos opened and it didnt chart. Especially since episode 1 leaked. Go on social media, r/anime and you see a ton of people criticizing the forced comedy, lackluster animation, poor plot progression.

And these aren't haters who are like "who is watching this" but people who actually loved the first 2 seasons and movie. Also the bds aren't selling good. If bakuen sold so poorly just the year prior, dead giveaway interest is already rapidly disappeared.
@SpiderMiles3523 Konosuba always had forced comedy, lackluster animation (it was made by Studio Deen lmao) and the plot barely progresses because that isn't the point of the series. The episode 1 leaking doesn't afect anything to the blu-ray sales because blu-ray sales almost exclusively come from Japan.
Apr 2, 4:06 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Ionliosite2
@SpiderMiles3523 Chainsaw Man sold poorly because it was a shit adaptation, not because "only yuri or yuri bait sells".
@Ionliosite2 actually yuri and yuri bait is the only thing that sells in japan now. Look at bocchi, lycoris, magirevo, g witch, and that ecchi one. Big reason is yuri is stupidly popular with females. And women often outearn men in japan. They can shutdown any criticism on it and openly bash stuff like shonen etc.

Even oshi no ko which had the highest selling music op of all time sold a fraction of bocchi, lycoris and that ecchi one.
Apr 2, 4:09 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Ionliosite2
@SpiderMiles3523 Konosuba always had forced comedy, lackluster animation (it was made by Studio Deen lmao) and the plot barely progresses because that isn't the point of the series. The episode 1 leaking doesn't afect anything to the blu-ray sales because blu-ray sales almost exclusively come from Japan.
@Ionliosite2 personally i don't see konosuba winning aots or even coming close. It is already off to a terrible start. And these aren't haters who are like "who tf is still watching this?" But people who actually watched and enjoyed s1, 2 , and thr movie. Isekai fans can't choose their favorite isekai. It will be like picking their favorite child.
Apr 2, 5:50 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Ionliosite2
Ionliosite2 said:
lackluster animation (it was made by Studio Deen lmao)

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/249227
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/249224
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/112158
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/249226
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/249229
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/249225

Yeah, "lackluster" my ass. Specially in a production that had Shuu Sugita and Kazunori Ozawa as regulars.
Apr 2, 8:03 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Oongbuh
@Oongbuh
>picks some specifics scenes
Konosuba had lackluster animation, I could grab some High School DxD animations from sakugabooru too and that wouldn't change it having lackluster animation, the same happens here, less than 3 minutes of sakuga versus an 11 episode runtime is not good.
Apr 2, 8:10 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Ionliosite2 actually yuri and yuri bait is the only thing that sells in japan now. Look at bocchi, lycoris, magirevo, g witch, and that ecchi one. Big reason is yuri is stupidly popular with females. And women often outearn men in japan. They can shutdown any criticism on it and openly bash stuff like shonen etc.

Even oshi no ko which had the highest selling music op of all time sold a fraction of bocchi, lycoris and that ecchi one.
@SpiderMiles3523 Yuri isn't popular with females though, all those series you mentioned are aimed at a male audience, both your reasoning and conclusion are flawed.

>personally i don't see konosuba winning aots or even coming close
Winning "aots" where? This Konosuba season didn't start any different than the other two, the only thing it lacked to be like the first episode of the other seasons was an Aqua ass shot, people realizing only now the problems Konosuba always had is not my problem.
Apr 2, 8:46 PM

Feb 2021
Anime pirates don't wanna hear this, but watching anime legally actually matters, and blu-ray sales aren't that important anymore.
As confirmed by literal anime studio CEOs.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2022-12-05/production-i.g-and-studio-wit-president-george-wada/.192199#:~:text=What%20sort%20of,make%20a%20decision

Also the overseas market has overtaken the domestic one, so yes JP producers are paying more and more attention to what overseas viewers like.
But anime pirates will say that watching anime legally means nothing because JP companies only care about sales in Japan...

Apr 2, 9:15 PM

Apr 2015
After the unneeded and terrible Megumin spinoff I'm not surprised.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 2, 9:19 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to MadanielFL
Anime pirates don't wanna hear this, but watching anime legally actually matters, and blu-ray sales aren't that important anymore.
As confirmed by literal anime studio CEOs.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2022-12-05/production-i.g-and-studio-wit-president-george-wada/.192199#:~:text=What%20sort%20of,make%20a%20decision

Also the overseas market has overtaken the domestic one, so yes JP producers are paying more and more attention to what overseas viewers like.
But anime pirates will say that watching anime legally means nothing because JP companies only care about sales in Japan...

@MadanielFL not anymore. China is moving towards banning more and more japanese anime. Especially due to worsening us and China relations. Japan's economy is shrinking like Europe is. This puts the anime industry in jeopardy.
Apr 3, 7:21 AM

Feb 2010
Blu Ray sales driving anime production. kinda died off same reason physical game copies no longer drive game sales anymore either.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Mar 2024
Reply to anomyn_
The spinoff was about 12 year old Megumin, so it was absolutely not ecchi. Konosuba is ecchi, and that’s what its audience is looking for.
@anomyn_Well, then it's the tamest ecchi that ever ecchied.

Not that that's the reason I love it, but... ;-)
Apr 5, 10:37 AM

Sep 2012
I think the majority of sales won't come from BDs, people just don't buy them much anymore. It's exclusivity deals like CR that will determine how it will break even outside of JP.
Oh god who are you people?
Apr 5, 11:49 AM
Feb 2021
I think it is popular enough that other sponsors like crunchyroll or Netflix will come if kodansha stop the production
Apr 5, 2:02 PM

May 2009
Don't listen to moronic shit OP and few others wrote. BD sales weren't relevant in years. Streaming is all that matters (and source material+merchandise sales)
Apr 5, 3:13 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to Tropisch
After the unneeded and terrible Megumin spinoff I'm not surprised.
@Tropisch Totally needed for an eventual S4.

Don't talk about stuff you're clueless about.
Apr 6, 8:48 AM

Apr 2015
@bastek66 I still find it funny when people try to tell me buying figures doesn't help lol.

@Othawastz Sure, whatever you tell yourself I guess.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 6, 6:27 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Othawastz
@Tropisch Totally needed for an eventual S4.

Don't talk about stuff you're clueless about.
@Othawastz episode 2 leaked and people already criticizing it online and isekai fans are lynching people vs valid arguments. Show is about to trashed hard if isekai fans continue their elitist belief.
Apr 6, 6:29 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to bastek66
Don't listen to moronic shit OP and few others wrote. BD sales weren't relevant in years. Streaming is all that matters (and source material+merchandise sales)
@bastek66 who tf thinks blu rays are irrelevant. Only moronic people do. Low blu ray sales heavily impacted chainsaw man till they barely made a profit and had to change director. Anything can go wrong in the production and ur show will fail to get another season. Also 2 episodes leaked and it is already getting hardly criticized online.
Apr 6, 6:58 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@bastek66 who tf thinks blu rays are irrelevant. Only moronic people do. Low blu ray sales heavily impacted chainsaw man till they barely made a profit and had to change director. Anything can go wrong in the production and ur show will fail to get another season. Also 2 episodes leaked and it is already getting hardly criticized online.
@SpiderMiles3523 "Barely made a profit" is completely wrong. You have streaming revenue, merch sales, and collabs to make money, and CSM had plenty of that to make up for it. Not to mention you literally have series like Fire Force, Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga - all of which had very low BD sales, but that are getting or will get new seasons.
Apr 7, 12:35 AM

Aug 2020
I love it when the defacto resident grifters all decide to huddle up in a single thread. You'd think they are alts at this point.
Keep scrolling
Apr 7, 3:47 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Oongbuh
@SpiderMiles3523 "Barely made a profit" is completely wrong. You have streaming revenue, merch sales, and collabs to make money, and CSM had plenty of that to make up for it. Not to mention you literally have series like Fire Force, Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga - all of which had very low BD sales, but that are getting or will get new seasons.
@Oongbuh that is pure cope. It is a well known fact that blu rays are the easiest way for a studio to make back the moneym since 55% of the revenue goes to them vs other forms. If japan doesn't buy the blu rays, they cannot continue. The west never supported the anime industry in the first place at least not in the same scale as Japan. Heck most people pirate. That is the reason why so many anime licensors went bankrupt in the 2000s. And why funimation bought it all up. The anime craze now doesn't compare the 2000s.
Apr 7, 11:04 AM

Oct 2009
much ado about nothing, by people who know nothing
Apr 7, 11:04 AM

May 2009
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Oongbuh that is pure cope. It is a well known fact that blu rays are the easiest way for a studio to make back the moneym since 55% of the revenue goes to them vs other forms. If japan doesn't buy the blu rays, they cannot continue. The west never supported the anime industry in the first place at least not in the same scale as Japan. Heck most people pirate. That is the reason why so many anime licensors went bankrupt in the 2000s. And why funimation bought it all up. The anime craze now doesn't compare the 2000s.
@SpiderMiles3523 Why do you believe studios made buck from BD sales? It's production committee that takes all revenues and studios get share only if they are part of it (which is rare with adaptations).
Apr 7, 11:11 AM
Aug 2020
struggled to finish spin-off and the animation is not as good as previous seasons
Apr 7, 11:26 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@SpiderMiles3523 "A well known fact" to people like you who just say shit and don't bother to actually search what they're talking about, that is. Streaming has greatly overtaken most other forms of revenue throughout the years. I literally just mentioned several examples of shows that had terrible sales but still managed to be continued due to making back through other forms.
Apr 9, 10:36 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to Tropisch
@bastek66 I still find it funny when people try to tell me buying figures doesn't help lol.

@Othawastz Sure, whatever you tell yourself I guess.
@Tropisch Tell myself? Lmao.

You have not read the Light Novel, you have no idea about what you're talking about. Spinoff is absolutely needed for an eventual S4 which will adapt V9.
Apr 9, 10:37 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Othawastz episode 2 leaked and people already criticizing it online and isekai fans are lynching people vs valid arguments. Show is about to trashed hard if isekai fans continue their elitist belief.
@SpiderMiles3523 Chill with your alts dude.
Apr 10, 4:21 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to Othawastz
@Tropisch Tell myself? Lmao.

You have not read the Light Novel, you have no idea about what you're talking about. Spinoff is absolutely needed for an eventual S4 which will adapt V9.
@Othawastz Yeah whatever buddy. You can't see my list, so how would you know if I read it or not?
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 10, 4:30 AM

Oct 2015
imagine trying to assume u know what can or wont get sequels or anything in current yr

its literally just the whims of the production committee at this point
and thank the heavens everyday
NONE of it, not even 1% of it is decided by shitty westerners who think the world revolves around them or their totally an important market bro tryst guys
šŸ¤£
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Apr 10, 6:15 AM
Mar 2019
I know why the spin off didn't sell it's because it was about Megumin and not Aqua. See Aqua is the best girl and Megumin is for pdf files ya know what I'm sayin?
Apr 10, 8:57 AM
May 2021
DEMSpirit said:
The megumin spinoff only sold 700 blu ray discs first week. For reference, season 1 and 2 sold 10k blu ray discs. This means konosuba had at least a 90% drop in bd sales. Streams were not any better. Sales for the spinoff were so bad, they now have to re-release the blu ray discs and old figures. Reviews and reception completely crashed.

The spinoff and season 3 are part of the same team so one flopping will still impact the other. The bd cutoff nowadays is probably 2k-3k for popular series.

What does this mean? Konosuba s3 will probably need oshi no season 1 sales just to continue. Since it has to cover for its spinoff doing so poor. It will need to make headlines in spring and probably be considered the best anime of all time.

People don't care about spinoff lol. Let's see how Konosuba S3 does
Apr 10, 8:04 PM
Feb 2020
Reply to Tropisch
@Othawastz Yeah whatever buddy. You can't see my list, so how would you know if I read it or not?
@Tropisch

Because if you had read you'd know it's essential for V9/S4 and would never have called it useless lol, pretty simple.
Apr 14, 4:27 PM

Feb 2014
Figurines are selling like there's no tomorrow.
Reviews are fine.
Megumin is still the best girl.
Apr 29, 7:34 PM

Aug 2017
It seems that there are people living in 2015 yet, BD were never the sole thing that the production committee took into account to decide if a series wouldl have a new season or not, and since at least 2017 it lost importance to the point that after 2020 it is mostly relegated to the status of another type of merchandise, what really matter today is the money they get from licensing it to streaming and to merchandising in general, BD are just a bonus of cash for most productions.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 15

172 by Wandering_Wizard »»
2 hours ago

» Darkness hasn't been as slutty this season.

Rally- - Yesterday

16 by Othawastz »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8

155 by KaneryU2 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

zetjex - Mar 29

207 by YushaGledek97 »»
Today, 12:31 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1

122 by Rasco »»
Yesterday, 4:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.