Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (54) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2023 12:09 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Very good first episode, making it about 90 min long was the right choice, week to week episodes wouldn't have had this impact.
Apr 12, 2023 12:11 PM

Nov 2021
You can't mentally be fully prepared for death like that even with time in advance. In this case, spoilers from months ago.
Apr 12, 2023 12:13 PM
Feb 2021
That was fucking amazing. This was the first time I cried watching an anime in years, very well done and fuck I'm going to miss Ai.
Apr 12, 2023 12:17 PM

Sep 2021
As a manga reader, this episode absolutely destroyed me. I was really surprised that this was an hour and twenty minute episode, but I think it was perfect, getting to see all of the events of the 'prologue' play out, without any cuts.

Rie Takahashi was just incredible as Ai, honestly she was everything I had in head, as I was reading the manga. You really saw and felt her sparkle, she was absolutely magnetic and I adored her performance. Also her death scene was just... god, the manga made me cry and made it hurt but this was just... a lot. And by a lot I mean I ended up watching the scene twice because the first time I literally couldn't see the screen through my tears lmao. Her talent is really something else.
And Yurie Igoma was so so good as Ruby, I can't believe the emotions she was able to pull out when it really mattered, during her rant after Ai's death. It totally floored me. It just makes me so nervous and excited, for everything to come in Ruby and Aqua's future.

And there's so much else I could talk about, the music, the pacing, the feeling- it all captured the manga so perfectly. If it keeps up at this level... I hate to hype up anime, but it really could be my anime of the year.

It's always scary seeing a manga you love get adapted, so this really made me so happy. They absolutely nailed it! And I know manga readers always say things like this, but really... if you're anime-only, you're in for such a treat; the storytelling of "Oshi no Ko" is really something special.
Really can't wait for next week, it's going to be difficult, having to be so patient. In the meantime, I'll be missing Ai, all over again. ♡

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Apr 12, 2023 12:17 PM

Dec 2020
Man the first episode was an emotional rollercoaster. The stab seen was too much for me. Overall, they did anime good with animation, VA and sounds. 10/10
I never did went past few chapters ahead of what was here so I am quite eager to see what is up next.
I wanna know how they kill him, the informator. I hope it's painful.

For card delivery, please click the picture on right
Apr 12, 2023 12:18 PM

Jan 2019
Great first episode. Because it had so much to it than your regular 24 min first eps, it's one of the best first episodes I've ever watched. Good execution of an already well written prologue.

All I'm hoping for is that the story continues to carry forward the momentum built by a monster of a first episode.

Apr 12, 2023 12:19 PM
Mar 2022
great episode

i have expectation but i didn't expected if the first episode will be great like this

great artstyle,great voice acting and so many great stuff in this episode (especially for the art style,i really-really love it,the detail are so damn goood)

the twist also great,and the drama almost make my tears fall down

10/10 for this episode
Apr 12, 2023 12:20 PM
Nov 2019
I read the manga so i knew but it was a really good episode 
Oct 2020
well concepted first episode
Jun 2021
are all the episodes going to be this long or only the first one?
Apr 12, 2023 12:21 PM

May 2010
Loved it, I can't wait to see more Akane
Apr 12, 2023 12:24 PM
Jul 2019
I was one of the doubters when doga kobo was announced as studio but man, they did deliver so god damn well! Details on eyes, directing, pacing, animations, music I liked all of it.
Apr 12, 2023 12:30 PM

May 2015
Mariiooo22 said:
I was one of the doubters when doga kobo was announced as studio but man, they did deliver so god damn well! Details on eyes, directing, pacing, animations, music I liked all of it.

Seriously? I thought Doga Kobo was the perfect studio for this. I'm mean 99% of their anime feature cute girls
billybubApr 12, 2023 12:49 PM
Apr 12, 2023 12:31 PM
Jan 2021
It was insane. I did not read the manga, so i kinda went in blindly, since noone spoiled it to me. And wow. I have no words.
Apr 12, 2023 12:32 PM
Dec 2018
It was such an amazing rollercoaster ride, I have never gotten this attached to the charaters in episode one. They add so many tinges of emotions and colour while also contrasting it with the dark state of the entertainment industry. It has me being super excited and happy for the little family to sad and depressed near the end. Can't wait for what's to come.
EsseseApr 23, 2023 7:18 AM
Apr 12, 2023 12:32 PM
Jan 2021
It was insane. I did not read the manga, so i kinda went in blindly, since noone spoiled it to me. And wow. I have no words.
Apr 12, 2023 12:39 PM

Feb 2014
A feature-length first episode is something that I'm not used to seeing from a T.V anime, but that extended length was needed to make this first episode one hell of a rollercoaster of emotions.

From the writer that created the fantastic Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War, the way that the characters interacted, from the comedic moments to the more serious ones, it had that familiar quality to it that I enjoyed from Akasaka's other work, which I enjoyed a lot. Ai Hoshino having two kids who're actually two characters from earlier, Sarina and the Doctor, reincarnated intwo ker kids, does make for an interesting concept, as was seeing them grow up as the years go by, seeing how tough the entertainment industry can be and how they would deal with it.

Sadly, when things were looking pretty comfortable, that's where the moment that Ai got fatally stabbed really hit hard. She's not the kindest or smartest character out there, but I was liking how Ai was doing her best and improving on herself as the episode went on. So when she uttered the words "I love you" to her kids before she died, it got me tearing up easily. :'(

I'm impressed with Doga Kobo with the production values. When they go for it, the results look tremendous and this episode was proof of how much care was put into the visuals and animation, the highlight being Aqua declaring his revenge on the one he thinks his responsible for leaking info of Ai's address for the psycho fan to go and kill her, where the animation went further beyond, resulting in something truly spectacular.

This season has some heavy hitters, as does the rest of the year to be frank, but in terms of opening episodes, this one is probably the best so far this entire year. I hope that the rest of this series can maintain this quality as much as it can, both in terms of story and production vales. =)
Apr 12, 2023 12:42 PM

Jul 2017
K_Ram said:
are all the episodes going to be this long or only the first one?

I think those will have the normal length after this episode (20-25 min), the premiere being really long was a good choice but the rest of the series should be fine with the regular length episodes.
Apr 12, 2023 12:43 PM

Feb 2021
A masterpiece, I don't have too many words. 
Apr 12, 2023 12:44 PM

May 2016
Aika said:
Loved it, I can't wait to see more Akane
Fr. At least we got 2 seconds of her greatness this episode! Can't wait to see anime watchers reactions to the next few arcs
Apr 12, 2023 12:45 PM

Oct 2016
the whole "idol industry bad, idol fans bad" shtick has been done a million times so its nothing new
but this really presented an interesting mystery

if this is gonna be more of a mystery thriller than an industry critique, im all up for it

also, proselytizing? belaboring? force majeure? who the fuck subbed this, discord? lmao
Apr 12, 2023 12:45 PM

Jul 2017
That was the best first episode of anything I have seen in years.
Apr 12, 2023 12:46 PM
Jul 2015
Really good, I understand why the first episode was movie length now. I was a bit creeped out by MC until 20 minutes in. I found Ai to be a good character, was really looking forward to her developing as a person and raising the kids. I read it was a murder mystery and was expecting the MC to be more focused on bringing justice to his killer and trying to save Ai from someone dangerous. Kind of like Erased but with cute/ fun scenes like the ones with the babies twirling glow sticks. When it got to Ai's stabbing I was mortified that it got this far without that happening, then I thought child with the knowledge of a doctor will save her and this is the moment Ruby finds out about Aquamarine's past life and they become friends. Instead she has her dramatic death and the story gets all dark and edgy and they are like high schoolers at the end. What the hell!? After a first episode like that what are we gonna get with the rest of the series? The tone just kind of changed in the last 5 minutes. This is like my experience with Kamikatsu, except in a bad way. I really don't know what to expect from the rest of the series and with the way episode 1 ended I'm not sure if I would be interested.
Apr 12, 2023 12:49 PM
Jun 2020
That took so many turns I did not expect!
Apr 12, 2023 12:50 PM
Feb 2017
Ronninn said:
this show can't decide if it wants to be melodramatic or funny (which most of the jokes just feels so out of fucking place) or not
Watching anime for the first time? Anime always mixed comedy into very serious shows and it works. Stuff thats depressing for 100% of the airtime in unwatchable.

Apr 12, 2023 12:52 PM

Mar 2021
This was amazing cant wait for the next episode
Apr 12, 2023 12:52 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
welp, you know you've seen way too many anime when it became obvious both he and the girl in the hospital were gonna be reborn as the kids, i mean, as soon as my man was at the cliff edge, i was like "he's gonna get pushed off" lol

also that Ai was eventually gonna be killed by the stalker, and as soon as that door bell rang, i was like

(425) ah shit here we go again - YouTube

regardless, nice to see an idol anime with a darker tone, super interested to see where this one goes

definitely didnt see them talking like that as babies coming though LMAO, that shit was cute af

EcchiGodMamsterApr 12, 2023 12:59 PM
Apr 12, 2023 12:54 PM
Jun 2020
My heart broke. I did not think I could feel so much sadness
Apr 12, 2023 12:57 PM
Jan 2022
somehow i almost cried watching this even though i have a strong heart lmao
Apr 12, 2023 12:58 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
That death scene was one of the most beatiful and sad scenes in anime that i had watched in a good while.
What an absurd start, not only movie lenght it was movie quality too. 
Apr 12, 2023 12:59 PM

May 2016
Miryuo said:
somehow i almost cried watching this even though i have a strong heart lmao
Family can do that to you
Apr 12, 2023 12:59 PM

Jun 2016
What a masterful start to the anime. I so look forward to seeing more. It has everything for me. Bring on the next episode as I am curious where this mystery will lead them all to
Gift by Mimurona

Apr 12, 2023 1:00 PM

May 2014
Holy shit!
I started to think that they had compiled 11 shorter episodes into a movie or something and that it was coming to an end...
But it was an hour long prologue for a murder mystery!
Apr 12, 2023 1:02 PM

Dec 2020
I know it's not really fair to say this considering the length of the episode, but that was genuinely the best pilot episode I've ever seen.
Apr 12, 2023 1:03 PM
Jan 2021
Cried after reading manga, Cried after watching anime. Man this hits hard. AI you were a good mother. We love you!
Apr 12, 2023 1:05 PM
Jun 2020
Quite possibly the greatest first episode of anime in recent memory, it had me laughing, crying and on top of it all it had me completely absorbed from start to finish. Never before have I commented anything on this site, but after watching this I feel compelled to do so.

I'm lost for words, but I can say in absolute certainty that this will be the undisputed greatest anime of this season. I cannot recommend this more.
Apr 12, 2023 1:08 PM
Apr 2023
man this episode was really really good. the animation was fantastic, it really pulled me in and didnt let go. And that twist at the end was so unexpected. Looking forward to see how the story progresses
Apr 12, 2023 1:12 PM

Jun 2017
Uwaaaaah that post ending scene! Stop it hurts, I have to relive this tragedy in color and now it's voiced. The YOASOBI opening theme song as the premie episodes ending song has such a vibe that it worked. Dam whoever was on the marketing team promoting this anime with Ai themed videos and illustrations just to drop the bomb of her death really got me again. This is one of my favorite recent seinen manga I was reading and wow the Author of Love is War really knows how to cook. We got a peek of what kind of narratives he can write in the non-comedic parts of Love is War, glad to see we got a series where he can focus on this aspect. 
Apr 12, 2023 1:14 PM
Mar 2023
Do i need to say anything? If you've seen the first episode you know how good it is and if you've not, THEN WATCH IT! It may be an idol anime but its set up to be so much more. The uter HYPE i feel after watching it made me litteraly run around in my house. I've watched hunderds of anime (most of which i've not put into myanimelist) BUT it's rare to have the privlige to see an anime with this amount of story and good art, EVER. Even if you dont have any standard for music, art, pacing or story this anime will BREAK that non-existent standard. If you have any taste at all watch it!
Apr 12, 2023 1:15 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I love it if not for her being pregnant at 16 and a oldman being reincarnated as her baby. Atleast he isn't a creepy pervert or that stalker thats one good thing

Apr 12, 2023 1:17 PM
Oct 2018
It might be too early to say as I am interested in seeing how the story will develop from here on, but this might be the best anime of this season and one of the best this year. This 90 minute episode was absolutely incredible from beginning till the end.
Apr 12, 2023 1:20 PM
Jan 2022
I would say that it was good anime at first until the darkest part come in
Apr 12, 2023 1:21 PM
Sep 2019
This was the first time in a while that Ive seen such a good conversion from a crazy start on manga to a GREAT anime, this is just too good
Apr 12, 2023 1:23 PM
Dec 2020
one of the best first episodes. the way they incorporated different art styles when the characters showed different emotions was genius.
Apr 12, 2023 1:28 PM

Mar 2020
that was a crazy good adaptation of the prologue chapters what the actual fuck
Apr 12, 2023 1:28 PM
Aug 2018
WTF?????? I mean she is on the fucking cover and now she is dead????? btw *spoiler alert* ffs cringe. I FEAL BETRAYED, where is my idol slice of life?
Apr 12, 2023 1:30 PM

Sep 2016
I don’t care what others will say, Oshi no Ko ep 1 is my episode of the season now.
Apr 12, 2023 1:31 PM
Aug 2018
Also Ai Hayasaka from love is war is better Ai
Apr 12, 2023 1:34 PM
Sep 2019
This was so good man so good I know it's kinda bored you at some point but maybe cuz of rereading the prologue again ans again for me at least but.boy the last 15mins
Music animation voice acting everything was perfect and this also fixed a lot of error done in beginning of manga chapers
Apr 12, 2023 1:35 PM

Aug 2013
If I'm honest, I can't remember the last time something made such an impact on me.

I didn't expect this adaptation to be so perfectly done.

Admittedly, I've only read one volume of the manga so far, and it ends almost exactly where the opening episode did, but if I'm honest, the anime struck me even more, and that's despite the fact that I knew what was going to happen.

By the way, as if anyone wants to read it, I recommend the Yen Press release, superb translation and very comprehensive notes section at the end.

Oh, and also Takahashi Rie. Hands down, this is her best role. The way she played Ai.... I can't even find the words to describe it.

Ronninn said:
this show can't decide if it wants to be melodramatic or funny (which most of the jokes just feels so out of fucking place) or not

You finished almost 800 series and you still didn't get the Japanese storytelling? Wow. It was always like this. In anime, manga, games and dramas. One of the reasons why I'm so madly in Love in Japanese entertainment for 2 decades already.
rsc-plApr 12, 2023 2:58 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Pages (54) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
May 11, 8:38 AM

» Overhyped

Mooogle - May 9

41 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 11:44 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

680 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:23 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ricky16 - May 17, 2023

869 by Tsukimariko »»
May 5, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Best girl war oshi no ko

Praveen05 - Jun 14, 2023

4 by aurora_yuuki »»
May 1, 7:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.