Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 5, 2022 6:56 PM

Mar 2014
THE MOVIE WAS FIRE!
But not as you think it was planned to be...
I am not going to give you any kind of MAJOR SPOILERS, but this Movie could be better, and I think it should be seen by everyone else to understand it.
Don't get me wrong, I saw all my favourite characters, and they crossed swords and words with each other, Especially Shanks.
I DO NOT READ THE MANGA, I only watch the anime, so I had no Idea Who Uta is, and that this is a filler movie cause shanks doesn't have a daughter, they will basically announce it in the Main story as well. (Though the movie did a great job explaining how they both meet.)
The song's were Absolutely amazing! (There were about 6 of them that Uta Sang)

I would say, the ending felt a bit anti-climatic, so that's the only minus point in this movie I think... Or maybe they could have a bit slow down with what was happening, I couldn't process this amount of information in that HIGH PACED Movie...
I gotta tell you, the TV Anime does a great job with the slow pacing, giving us time to react and to think about what's happening.

9/10 for me, this is a really good One Piece Movie!
Aug 5, 2022 8:12 PM
Oct 2020
Without giving it away directly, Oda mentioned that a very important piece of information about Shanks was revealed in this movie. Where there a big reveal that stands out to you, or was it kind of an “oh yeah I guess that’s kind of interesting” moment?
Aug 5, 2022 9:41 PM
Aug 2022
6/10 😓😓 only one time...
Just for example, i went 3 times to watch the last Evangelion movie, but this OP... 1 and it's enough. I was expecting more :(
Aug 5, 2022 11:26 PM
May 2020
AhiruJPN said:
6/10 😓😓 only one time...
Just for example, i went 3 times to watch the last Evangelion movie, but this OP... 1 and it's enough. I was expecting more :(
Imagine creating a new account just to shit on this amazing movie

i respect that people have different opinion , but only the ones who use their Main account and not their Alt

Clown😂
One Piece is bad, really
Aug 6, 2022 12:13 AM
Feb 2022
how watch free .
💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖
Aug 6, 2022 12:26 AM
Nov 2020
Bihan12345678 said:
how watch free .

You get up and get one of your friends to take you to the movies ❤️
Aug 6, 2022 12:37 AM

Jul 2021
Jontayy said:
Bihan12345678 said:
how watch free .

This is so funny and sad 🤣
Aug 6, 2022 12:39 AM
Nov 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
Jontayy said:

This is so funny and sad 🤣
can’t lie I was giggling when I was reading and replying to this 😂
Aug 6, 2022 1:54 AM

Feb 2014
Goobris said:
Without giving it away directly, Oda mentioned that a very important piece of information about Shanks was revealed in this movie. Where there a big reveal that stands out to you, or was it kind of an “oh yeah I guess that’s kind of interesting” moment?

Something about Shanks' haki being really powerful, Shanks' bounty when he left Foosha Village 12 years ago, his crewmates fighting style and a bit of details on their character. The subreddit has more details if you got curious
Aug 6, 2022 5:07 AM

Nov 2016
I wish I was in Japan right now 😭

Insane Shanks reveals that came long with the movie.

You could tell that not everyone was into the musical side of this movie, which is shame because I really liked it for being something different for a change. Performances from various genres were a joy to watch on the big screen, Ado and the animators killed it.

Red didn't have as many cameos as Stampede yet it was still heavy on the fanservice side. Plotwise I wasn't 100% sold on Tot Musica. Regardless of how much I tried to symphatize with Uta's misfortune, she was made to be as unlikeable as possible, it seemed. Like an emo teen who thinks killing herself is the salvation, with the difference that she was about to drag mad people with her. Or maybe it's hidden social commentary on the effect of idol culture on the stars. Be that as it may she atoned for her fatal mistakes and bore the consequences. Bittersweet conclusion.

And boy, Shanks Haoshoku was something else. Tho, I'm glad that he wasn't portrayey as OP as the few viral clips suggested.

The action segments, in particular the combi attacks with everyone vs Toto Musica were a visual feast.

8,5/10 for this emotional movie

FMmatronOct 17, 2022 10:54 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 6, 2022 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
I only watched the 30 second clip of Luffy & Shanks final attack. Best scene in any One Piece FILM. Only one word can describe that scene EPIC.
Aug 6, 2022 7:36 AM

Feb 2019
VolKur said:
I only watched the 30 second clip of Luffy & Shanks final attack. Best scene in any One Piece FILM. Only one word can describe that scene EPIC.

Ya, that scene was just amazing.
Aug 6, 2022 1:02 PM

Apr 2018
Going to watch it officaly in a week or two in the cinema but watched some scenes on twitter and I must say, it's quite something to look forward to.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 6, 2022 2:37 PM
Mar 2021
sadly i live in a country where nobody watches One Piece. i’ll have to wait 1 year to watch it oficially💀
Aug 6, 2022 8:00 PM
Oct 2021
VolKur said:
that means they shown shanks fighting
Aug 6, 2022 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
BigBoya said:
VolKur said:
that means they shown shanks fighting

Yeah, we will see Shanks and his crew members fighting in the movie.
Aug 7, 2022 6:49 AM

Aug 2019
Dunno why they felt the need to spoil Gear 5. Granted most of the folks who will watch this movie are already caught up on the manga, but it still feels like a disservice towards the fans who only watch the anime.

Also I heard this movie has gotten terrible ratings so far, which isn't surprising since the movie looked boring af in the trailers. It seems like Oda only came up with the concept of Uta and shoved Shanks into things to increase interest, but the plot didn't fare so well and people are upset.
Aug 7, 2022 6:56 AM

Feb 2019
Early_Morning said:
Dunno why they felt the need to spoil Gear 5. Granted most of the folks who will watch this movie are already caught up on the manga, but it still feels like a disservice towards the fans who only watch the anime.

Also I heard this movie has gotten terrible ratings so far, which isn't surprising since the movie looked boring af in the trailers. It seems like Oda only came up with the concept of Uta and shoved Shanks into things to increase interest, but the plot didn't fare so well and people are upset.

Movie got terrible rating because of trolls + the movie had over 7 music(many people didn't liked that)

Also, most of japanese comments i have read(in twitter) were positive.
Aug 7, 2022 3:16 PM
May 2018
i don't understand the people who give this movie 5/5 or 10/10, that was a bad movie, action was bad, story was bad, animation was not terrible per say but some scene were unclear and epileptic sometime, also some moments with cgi were really unnecessary.
also like a lot said, yes, way too many songs and not well placed, songs were not that bad (then its all about taste, personally i only really liked one) but they broke the rhythm too often.
k4zemanAug 7, 2022 3:27 PM
Aug 7, 2022 3:42 PM

Jul 2012
k4zeman said:
i don't understand the people who give this movie 5/5 or 10/10, that was a bad movie, action was bad, story was bad, animation was not terrible per say but some scene were unclear and epileptic sometime, also some moments with cgi were really unnecessary.
also like a lot said, yes, way too many songs and not well placed, songs were not that bad (then its all about taste, personally i only really liked one) but they broke the rhythm too often.

I'm sorry if it wasn't up to your taste but the movie was amazing and touched a lot of people, I don't think it's healthy for you to get angry about people loving something that you didn't liked.

Also I honestly thought the songs were amazingly well tied in to the progress of the story? they never interrupted the story once, they always happened to progress the story, be it to introduce the character of uta, her fruit, to illustrate fight scenes, or to give a conclusion to the arc. The movie was a musical and I always like that One Piece can try out all these genre. Gold is my favourite movie mostly because it's not focused on fights, but on building up the island and its story, while having great set pieces like the whole infiltration part of the movie. It was the only movie that really felt like a full arc to me, with even some fun side villains like Baccarat.

Sakuta002766 said:
Early_Morning said:

Movie got terrible rating because of trolls + the movie had over 7 music(many people didn't liked that)

Also, most of japanese comments i have read(in twitter) were positive.

Honestly, it's a western internet thing that's happening right now. We built up a whole part of our society that thrives on negativity and ignore positivity, so it feels like no one likes anything nowadays. It's a bit depressing and I hope we'll get past that someday
NintenZuraAug 7, 2022 3:46 PM
Aug 7, 2022 4:29 PM
May 2018
NintenZura said:
k4zeman said:

I'm sorry if it wasn't up to your taste but the movie was amazing and touched a lot of people, I don't think it's healthy for you to get angry about people loving something that you didn't liked.

Also I honestly thought the songs were amazingly well tied in to the progress of the story? they never interrupted the story once, they always happened to progress the story, be it to introduce the character of uta, her fruit, to illustrate fight scenes, or to give a conclusion to the arc. The movie was a musical and I always like that One Piece can try out all these genre. Gold is my favourite movie mostly because it's not focused on fights, but on building up the island and its story, while having great set pieces like the whole infiltration part of the movie. It was the only movie that really felt like a full arc to me, with even some fun side villains like Baccarat.

i'm not angry that you liked it, but i just want to understand perfect scores on this one because the movie has clear problems, the songs, the animation, everything that is art is so subjective i don't even want to argue, but the script is full of plot holes and really convenient moments that bring inconsistencies with the original story and the movie itself ! so yes i can understand the people who liked the movie, but not the ones who put perfect scores, don't you value perfection ?
Aug 7, 2022 4:52 PM

Jul 2012
k4zeman said:
NintenZura said:

i'm not angry that you liked it, but i just want to understand perfect scores on this one because the movie has clear problems, the songs, the animation, everything that is art is so subjective i don't even want to argue, but the script is full of plot holes and really convenient moments that bring inconsistencies with the original story and the movie itself ! so yes i can understand the people who liked the movie, but not the ones who put perfect scores, don't you value perfection ?
10/10 to me aren't really about being perfect, it's more like I rate how much this work has resonated with me, impacted me. I honestly disagree with what you said being problems but I guess I won't change your mind on that haha
Aug 7, 2022 9:21 PM
Nov 2020
The fact that people give 1 star rating on IMDB and on other sites just shows how sad and miserable people are, hating out of jealousy because of its success i guess people have lot of free time on their hand just pathetic, even the series which i didnt like fandom i didnt like i always gave a honest review but cant say the same for other fandoms, why not compete fairly lets just say if this was a boxing this would be considered a low blow anyways even though i know they'll never change but hey one can hope i hope they grow up.
Aug 7, 2022 9:26 PM
Jul 2018
Early_Morning said:

Lmao
I don't really bring up a conversation with you but you gotta be kidding with your last line. Do you even read reviews on movie by Japanese & France people.
Most of the people are saying it's an amazing movie.
Aug 7, 2022 11:32 PM

Jan 2020
I finished the movie and god, it was good.

I am a big fan of Ado and literally EVERY song was 10/10. She was perfect for Uta.

I would say this was the best one piece movie in terms of animation (that shanks and luffy attack was just soo nice). Even the scenes where the strawhats fought those song-made characters looked dope. Shanks x Katakuri was an interaction that I never expected too lmao

And I forgot the name of it but I'm assuming those mushroom things Uta eats is what blackbeard does as well which keeps him sleepless. I loved uta as a character too and this was just a whole lot of fun to watch

Aug 8, 2022 7:47 PM

Feb 2010
Just need to know if it's as good or better than Film Z because last couple movies weren't that.
Aug 10, 2022 4:06 PM

Nov 2017
About the movie, having read no synopsis or trailer, it's an excellent film! The animation is on top as is the music of the singer Ado which is EXCELLENT! Without forgetting the seiyū and the emotion that goes with it! What a treat!

Now, a big rant around the film in France. During the preview, excesses during the preview which would be linked by a wave of harassment towards Ado, supposedly because there is "too much" music or worse because they don't have Didn't like the movie at all?! https://twitter.com/EritoWorld/status/1556502292827873280
https://twitter.com/botkzz/status/1556027776079171587

This is simply UNACCEPTABLE and I do not condone these acts at all! You may dislike, argue what not, etc... but leave Ado alone! After MAPPA's cyberbullying in the final season of Shingeki no Kyojin, the preview of Jujutsu Kaisen 0 and now One Piece Red, what's next?! To ban this kind of behavior! 🤮
ElyshionAug 10, 2022 4:21 PM
Aug 10, 2022 4:50 PM

Aug 2018
Thank you Toei animation for this Ado concert, as an Ado fan I appreciated it a lot.

Now subjectivity aside, the movie is really not that bad as a One Piece spin-off story, it makes way more sense for this much people and important pirates to be there as Uta fans rather than for the treasure hunt of Stampede making the most incoherent alliances possible. This movie though is the most uncannon spin-off that could ever happen, it's obviously set after Whole Cake as a base because of Luffy getting called as the 5th Emperor but placing it to fit with Wano is almost impossible, you see a glimpse of the Gear 5 so = after Onigashima but you see Big Mom clearly alive and safe at TotLand so = before Wano or even further. This glimpse of Gear 5 isn't the only chronological fuck up because even if you ignore it and consider it as a small private reference for manga readers, Jinbe is with the crew officially which only happen when Onigashima begins. Anyway, this just cannot fit in the cannon even if you wanted to.

As an anon pointed that out, this film, apart from being Toei and Oda shilling Ado as she deserves, is just there to get a bit of change in the standard one piece character archetypes. Uta is the first female antagonist being presented as fundamentely a good person and an ally before becoming a villain, she's also the first female villain (main villain mostly) in a One Piece film with strength that easily reviles even the strongest admirals or emperors, even if she seems unable to use Haki to counterbalanced her demon fruit, the single ability to put anyone in her song dimension if they just hear her sing makes her as an upgraded broken Sugar, because it's way much easier to be heard by even the strongest One Piece individuals than touching them, and she can mind control them afterwards as a bonus. As a standalone characters, she lacks some of the nuance of a character like Z or cannon One Piece villain and others, but she's still coherent with herself and her motivation all the way, and isn't forgiven that easily if Shanks wasn't there to save her in the end. My complaint about her would be that they took the easiest way to justify a villain actions when confronted by their mistakes, is that she just a full blown psycho, like a crazy entitled psycho and her insanity is what drove her to commit her actions, always extremely cheap especially coming to female antagonist but her good will and innocent view of the world makes it way more believable than most psycho, her powers as well being on par with emperors would really drive a broken girl to go-on with such plan.

I have to salute Toei for, GOD BLESS, HAVING RESTRAINT ON THE CGI USE WHICH COMPLETELY DESTROYED STAMPEDE SERIOUSNESS, here the CGI is reserved for very short dancing sequences at the count of 2 or 3 maximum, which are, in all honesty, the cringiest thing ever, even as a gigantic vtuber fan myself, but are so short they barely take you out of the immersion compared to the cgi abonimation stampede has as a main antagonist for half the movie. Otherwise 2D dancing sequences are of surprisingly good quality with some intense fight choreography to comes with it.

I'm glossing over the Mugiwara implication or the fights in general because they are basically what we've been eating since Gold up to Stampede, bombastic and flashy, badass for some characters, but without any narrative whatsoever, they all fight because they need, not because they want to or have to, most attacks being targetted towards grunts and nameless ennemies or a giant creature keeping them all from having a true role in the story other than make the plot push forwards.
A true wasted potential though lies with one of my favorite strawhats, Soul King Brook, this entire movie being focus around music and Uta having been the musician of the redhair pirates you would expect more importance put upon the musician of the strawhats crew, they both are supposed to be worldwide music stars but there is 0 focus on Brook about is music background, even though people in the crewd applaud a random Navy captain like Kobby but do not recognize at all the Soul King himself, wasted potential. They could have at least one interaction about the role of a musician in a crew or the meaning of music but music here is more a plot device than a concept to explore and dive into. Extremely frustrating when you consider the BINKS NO SAKE version of Uta/Ado, present in the album as a bonus song but TOTALLY ABSENT from the movie which would have been the most perfect link for the strawhats crew and her view of piracy in general.

In the end this movie is made for Ado fans first, then One Piece fan second, Shanks role in the story making him the only argument for a One Piece fan to go watch this movie expecting mysteries about him to be uncovered, which will led them to be very disappointed with what few informations we actually get about him and/or his crew, and if you are indifferent towards Shanks, this movie is straight up not worth more than a 3 filler eps from the anime stuck together.
What is to remember the most except Ado's songs of course will be this post-credit scene, a very, VERY BIG surprise for me because of how indecisive i am about it, do I dislike it or not, Uta is a cannon character in the manga of One Piece, but once again this movie isn't, which makes every events in this movie unimportant but every discussion with the character possibly relevant to the story, Uta said something to Luffy we haven't heard and is hidden to us. With what she said to him remaining unknown for now I cannot take conclusion about this scene in particular, but if this information is revealed through the manga or the anime as an IMPORTANT piece of story or lore or character development, this movie will ergo become incomplete and thus worse by default as all movie stories should be self contained to remain coherent, takes the exemple of the last Star Wars trilogy to understand what are incomplete movies.

Anyway Ado is the best, go watch the movie I need her to get more subs than Eve and becoming the first utaite in japan, thank you have a nice day.
Aug 10, 2022 8:29 PM
Jan 2017
I did watch this movie in Japan with no subtitles, and I really feel that it's really amazing to witness every bit of movie plot especially its musical themes.

I can freely say about this movie that 'it is the beginning of the end for One Piece final arc'. That's in my mind.
As a manga reader reacting to this movie, I'm more shocked to witness prominent characters as surprises and cameos. I'm pretty relaxed to know mysterious or unanswered questions towards these characters.

This movie is so amazing that it does have a red story about Uta and Shanks, hot actions and music, and spicy characters. I can't discuss anything to spoil, but Shanks is there to have enough 'screen time' on the story. And yes, he's having a daddy's grace time with Uta. This family relationship describes Luffy, the one protagonist, Uta, the centered antagonist (which I can't comment why she's antagonistic), and Shanks, the biggest main theme that garners mega attentions for our hype. It's not just Shanks, but also the full story and introduction of Uta with her powers to tell.

I like its action animation, well sometimes the movie has good animation elements like 3D and camera directions.
And this particular movie caters its theme as an only musical movie in this franchise (I bet other competitors would be Brook and Big Mom in terms of basic music). I was really moved to emotionally react them with tears. These songs are not intermission, but used for story scenes to tell more about Uta and actions for the next moves of the story; never tended to be distracted. Yep, there are 7 songs being present in that movie; so their themes played differently like something in trance, funky, edgy, sadness, and emotional feeling. You'll get various feelings to receive.

Finally, after watching the movie, my opinions could predict that Uta would appear somewhere on final arc, not on next TV show episodes, just of what Shanks is planning to move. I can't speculate on her future appearances, so I keep my good opinions up.
Aug 12, 2022 12:23 AM

May 2016
I watched it at a movie theater in France. Hopefully, there was no yelling or people running inside (I say that because in some cinemas, it was a nightmare for this movie). So I could watch it calmly. I must admit that I've been disappointed. In my opinion, there was too much songs and a lack of action for a One Piece movie. I'm not against songs in movies but here, it slowed down too much the plot. The movie was a bit long and took a while to start. It is still watchable but it's not a movie that I would recommand or rewatch.
Aug 12, 2022 3:34 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Mixed feelings all around, but a fire movie nonetheless.
Aug 13, 2022 5:52 AM

Jul 2012
I was worried I wouldn’t understand the whole movie when I went to see it today in Japan with no subtitles but turns out my Japanese is better than I thought! The story itself wasn’t groundbreaking but was worth it for the Ado songs that were spread throughout. I loved almost every song instantly.

Apart from the songs, Usopp and Yasopp’s scene was my favourite part. It was also a refreshing surprise (I avoided the PVs) to see certain characters I haven’t seen in a while!
Aug 13, 2022 10:38 AM

Feb 2015
i just watched it. Everything before Shanks's appearance was a mess and over the place, but the movie became enjoyable after my man shanks appeared.
Aug 14, 2022 2:32 AM

Jul 2012
The only thing I didn't like about this movie was the constant cliche idolshit holding it down. One "Disney's Hannah Montana" Piece for quite a few minutes of the duration, not a fan of that.

The rest was nice, and the animation was superb. Also, I wasn't expecting Uta to be a villain in this, nor for her to die at the end (much less be the responsible for the massacre Shanks framed himself and his crew for her sake).

It was the saddest One Piece movie so far in my book, unexpectedly dark too, considering it started so "happy lucky dochy yesyesyes".

I'll go with an 8-ish/10.
DanpmssAug 14, 2022 2:44 AM
Aug 15, 2022 9:25 AM
Aug 2010
Easiest 10/10 of my life, and I've never seen a One Piece episode. This is the beginning of the Ado world domination era!!!

Aug 25, 2022 9:19 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Decent film to commemorate the 1000th Episode Anniversary of the series.

Ado's tracks covered a diverse range of emotions and the harmony with the various scenes made it really fun and impactful, for certain. Particularly loved the change in tone brought about by the Tot Musica track, it literally sent a chill down my spine. Feels like the most Ado song, so there was that extra factor.

As a character in general, Uta's character didn't feel very consistent and I suppose that was part of the point. Definitely took a few things too far and the movie seemed to be dragging for a bit in the middle. In the end, though, she had to pay for the cost of her life which didn't really affect me as much as I hoped it would. But then came Shanks...

Man, I need a whole new section to articulate my feelings on Shanks in this movie. Nothing short of incredible, of course. His introduction, backstory of subduing Tot Musica, taking out most of the marines with just his Haki, putting up a facade while crying with his crew to ensure Uta not self-loathing and holding back his tears with the death of Uta - Everything, thank you Toei! Seriously, the third point from above about the whole facade thing was like daggers to my kokoro. And power? Aplenty. To top it off though, the stunning climax with Luffy.

As expected, the animation was nothing short of fabulous! While there weren't that many action scenes, especially compared to the battle-fest in Stampede, all of them were blessed with high-quality sakuga. Some of the lighthearted comedy was integrated really well too.

Got to say, Luffy took Uta's demise surprisingly well especially when compared to Ace. I suppose the fact that this was fully her decision and whatnot may have played a part...

Parallel between Shanks being adopted as a child by Roger's crew and Uta by Shanks was very nice! One more thing that really pleased me was the ost which combined the main theme with the movie theme, that sounded so good ~

All in all, definitely rewatch-able material simply because of the amazing action sequences, glorious tracks from Ado-san, visual quality and, obviously what else, Shanks. Strong 7/10. Stampede was a class above for me but this is up there with the likes of Z, Gold and Strong World for me.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 26, 2022 3:39 PM
Jul 2019
Simply amazing
real good
Would recommend
10/10
SpyCrabFeb 13, 2023 10:19 AM
Aug 27, 2022 2:56 AM

Oct 2017
First of all Ado's songs were bangers, 10/10. Story/plot wise this movie was lacking but the songs and Uta were the main selling point of this one and loved em. Also it didn't occur to me that Uta maybe the antagonist before watching the movie but after starting the movie it was pretty obvious from the start. I'm really sad that Uta's dead, like maybe she's alive? Please?

There were some decent action scenes with good animation. Was not expecting Luffy to use gear 5 there. Got to see it here before the actual anime itself. The last fight with the strawhat crews + others and Shanks + others on the otherside was lit. Zoro using Sanji as a foothold was hilarious.

Enjoyed the movie, specially the songs. But Uta's fate sadly left me in shambles.
MegamiRemAug 1, 2023 1:10 PM
Aug 31, 2022 11:23 PM

Sep 2018
Did Usopp use advanced observation?
Sep 1, 2022 7:27 AM
Dec 2008
Anime_Guy219 said:
Did Usopp use advanced observation?

It would seem to be the case, although that is only based on my own interpretation.
MadonisSep 1, 2022 8:03 PM
Sep 1, 2022 4:23 PM
Aug 2017
Just watched the movie today. Imo, it was the best One Piece movie, because it doesn't stand only on action counterparts but on meaning and deep storylines combined with great action counterparts. Honestly, it's dissapointing to see so much hate coming from the west towards this movie only because it wasn't an ongoing action show. One Piece has always been about more than just fighting and in terms of feeling, it was a win. I can see why the Japanese fanbase loved it so much. It was well deserved. 9/10 from me! The only reason why it's a 9, is because of the ending honestly.

If you like a movie with meaning, then this is your cup of tea, surely was mine.

Sep 2, 2022 10:52 AM

Mar 2015
The movie was amazing! I really don't understand those idiots on the top reviews that are attacking and hating on the movie so much tho
Sep 2, 2022 12:39 PM
Mar 2021
Shanks is such a good father
Sep 3, 2022 11:30 AM
Jan 2021
See? This is the evidence of how Divas/Idols element would never have work inside this medium. Please, please! stop creating a character with their sole characterization is only "Good At Singing". A character development contained solely on a progress of: "from a good singer, to a great singer, to a world famous singer solving a world wide problem with a song" it's so fucking lame! cringe! and lazy!

It's doesn't work on Black Clover with their mermaid diva. It doesn't work on Belle. The most boring part of Vivy and Kongmin is the singing part. And the only things that make Zombieland Saga became atleast a bearable idol anime is because it's a fricking parody!

Why? why is this formula became one of my most hated tropes of all time? Because idols or divas in real life are relaying so much on the fame factors that they had from the fanbases. So, creating a fictional character based around this premises meaning that you're also have to create, fabricates that fame factors to make the character alive. And a fabricated fames would always be counted as a plot armor. Not to mention that the taste on music are varies on everybody, so that'd just make the narrative became more and more unaccessible

Uta is the embodiment of plot conveniences

Why Oda? why would you tarnish your reputation like this? From Stampede to this, it's a lazy work to create a scenario with its sole objectives just to incorporates as many cameos as you like. No! more characters does not mean more fun! The more crowded it is, means more lazy work to be done! Are you happy that all your characters are reduced to be just a hollow animated figures with an attack name and catchphrases?: The Straw Hat Pirates turned from a lovable protagonist into a squad of power rangers shouting their secrets moves. Shanks crew turned from a mysterious figures into a boring deus ex-machina solving all the problems with a biblical power. The Admirals and the Navy's are turned from a terrifying forces into a party tricks, just to enliven the ensemble. I mean what else could i say? Great job Oda! *clap**clap*

Seems like it would be a long way for me until i see the next movie Z. But movie:Red, might be one of the worst One Piece movie i've ever seen

And oh yeah for the positives..; atleast most of the songs are banger. Would surely jamming to the soundtrack when it's released
Sep 3, 2022 11:49 AM
Dec 2008
EmpireDeLuna said:
See? This is the evidence of how Divas/Idols element would never have work inside this medium. Please, please! stop creating a character with their sole characterization is only "Good At Singing". A character development contained solely on a progress of: "from a good singer, to a great singer, to a world famous singer solving a world wide problem with a song" it's so fucking lame! cringe! and lazy!

I don't share your opinion after watching the movie. There is more to the individual's characterization in this case than only her singing ability (for example, there's her relationships with Luffy, Shanks and even Gordon, plus the complications introduced by her fans and their reactions to what she is doing).

Which, outside of the devil fruit power, isn't even surprising when she's had a full decade of training. That's all background story either way, it's not part of the present day events of the movie. She's already great at singing at the start and this remains true until the end.

Why? why is this formula became one of my most hated tropes of all time? Because idols or divas in real life are relaying so much on the fame factors that they had from the fanbases. So, creating a fictional character based around this premises meaning that you're also have to create, fabricates that fame factors to make the character alive. And a fabricated fames would always be counted as a plot armor.

I mean, that sounds like you will automatically dislike any characters who are singers in anime (unless they have exactly zero fame or reputation?).

Why Oda? why would you tarnish your reputation like this? From Stampede to this, it's a lazy work to create a scenario with its sole objectives just to incorporates as many cameos as you like. No! more characters does not mean more fun! The more crowded it is, means more lazy work to be done! Are you happy that all your characters are reduced to be just a hollow animated figures with an attack name and catchphrases?: The Straw Hat Pirates turned from a lovable protagonist into a squad of power rangers shouting their secrets moves.

I can see a little bit of your point, but it's also exaggerated...I'd say several of them get good moments (even outside of battles), including a few the Straw Hats in a couple of scenes. Say, Koby is portrayed well as can be seen when he reveals the truth to the audience and tries to argue against Uta's plan.

Shanks crew turned from a mysterious figures into a boring deus ex-machina solving all the problems with a biblical power.

Hmm...I don't remember seeing this in the movie (no, he didn't solve all the problems in the movie by himself...and even when the two crews fight together, this was only possible with cooperation and the revelations about how things worked). In any case, it makes plenty of sense for someone like Shanks to come to his daughter's concert. It is consistent with the character's personality. They also still left plenty of room to elaborate further on Shanks and his crew later on.

The Admirals and the Navy's are turned from a terrifying forces into a party tricks, just to enliven the ensemble. I mean what else could i say? Great job Oda! *clap**clap*

Do you really think so?

I felt Shanks being able to fight against the Admirals and even intimidate them with his Haki isn't making them into party tricks.

They're just facing someone similarly strong or stronger, yet this is also consistent with how Shanks has acted before.
MadonisSep 3, 2022 11:59 AM
Sep 3, 2022 12:11 PM
Jan 2021
Madonis said:
EmpireDeLuna said:

I don't share your opinion after watching the movie. There is more to the individual's characterization in this case than only her singing ability (for example, there's her relationships with Luffy, Shanks and even Gordon, plus the complications introduced by her fans and their reactions to what she is doing).

Which, outside of the devil fruit power, isn't even surprising when she's had a full decade of training. That's all background story either way, it's not part of the present day events of the movie. She's already great at singing at the start and this remains true until the end.

Why? why is this formula became one of my most hated tropes of all time? Because idols or divas in real life are relaying so much on the fame factors that they had from the fanbases. So, creating a fictional character based around this premises meaning that you're also have to create, fabricates that fame factors to make the character alive. And a fabricated fames would always be counted as a plot armor.

I mean, that sounds like you will automatically dislike any characters who are singers in anime (unless they have exactly zero fame or reputation?).

Why Oda? why would you tarnish your reputation like this? From Stampede to this, it's a lazy work to create a scenario with its sole objectives just to incorporates as many cameos as you like. No! more characters does not mean more fun! The more crowded it is, means more lazy work to be done! Are you happy that all your characters are reduced to be just a hollow animated figures with an attack name and catchphrases?: The Straw Hat Pirates turned from a lovable protagonist into a squad of power rangers shouting their secrets moves.

I can see a little bit of your point, but it's also exaggerated...I'd say several of them get good moments (even outside of battles), including a few the Straw Hats in a couple of scenes. Say, Koby is portrayed well as can be seen when he reveals the truth to the audience and tries to argue against Uta's plan.

Shanks crew turned from a mysterious figures into a boring deus ex-machina solving all the problems with a biblical power.

Hmm...I don't remember seeing this in the movie (no, he didn't solve all the problems in the movie by himself...and even when the two crews fight together, this was only possible with cooperation and the revelations about how things worked). In any case, it makes plenty of sense for someone like Shanks to come to his daughter's concert. It is consistent with the character's personality. They also still left plenty of room to elaborate further on Shanks and his crew later on.

The Admirals and the Navy's are turned from a terrifying forces into a party tricks, just to enliven the ensemble. I mean what else could i say? Great job Oda! *clap**clap*

Do you really think so?

I felt Shanks being able to fight against the Admirals and even intimidate them with his Haki isn't making them into party tricks.

They're just facing someone similarly strong or stronger, yet this is also consistent with how Shanks has acted before.

is not about being a singer/musicians that's the problem, but creating an entire narrative based around and idols or divas and presenting them being worshiped, being idolized by everybody and forcing us as an audiences to agree, otherwise the plot wouldn't moving. is the f problem

i love Brook as a musician and i didn't have a problem with his career being a soul king, because that is not the entire gimmick for his character.

And what i mean about Akagami Pirates, it just ridiculous seeing a characters that not yet been explored by the author, suddenly busting a move and one-off everything without explanation. they just sorta give them an Invincible power to appear stronger without really telling anything. and apart from the conveniences, is also came up boring, all they did it's just a repeated bits and an exaggerated extension of the ability we've already seen.
Sep 3, 2022 4:37 PM
Dec 2008
EmpireDeLuna said:

is not about being a singer/musicians that's the problem, but creating an entire narrative based around and idols or divas and presenting them being worshiped, being idolized by everybody and forcing us as an audiences to agree, otherwise the plot wouldn't moving. is the f problem.

Well, celebrity culture exists in real life. I don't see why you can't include it in a story. Even so, the main point of the movie isn't about her musical career.

Music is an instrument. Hell, you could even call it a weapon. She has other plans, concerns and ideals beyond just singing for the sake of singing.

Once they learn the truth, there are also various characters who become skeptical of her actions. Not because they dislike her singing, but because of what's happening.

i love Brook as a musician and i didn't have a problem with his career being a soul king, because that is not the entire gimmick for his character.

Oh sure, but Brook will be in hundreds or even thousands of One Piece manga chapters...so it's easy to say that. At the same time, I don't agree with the suggestion this movie is only about music. It's important, yes, but this isn't a story about a struggling musician fighting the record industry or anything.

And what i mean about Akagami Pirates, it just ridiculous seeing a characters that not yet been explored by the author, suddenly busting a move and one-off everything without explanation.

I felt they found a good balance. We finally saw them in action for a few minutes, but not in great detail. There's a booklet given to Japanese audiences with more specific details about their abilities. It's enough to give us a general idea, but obviously we will get to see more of them once the manga moves forward. If they stopped the movie to explain their skills, then it could be replacing the manga. Right now, it's simply serving as an introduction or even a teaser for them.
Sep 6, 2022 10:12 AM
Mar 2015
Overall ok but nothing amazing.
Pretty basic story, songs were great.
Sep 8, 2022 4:57 AM
Aug 2019
best one piece movie yet, but there are a few details that didn't end up with one piece lore. like the map they showed of the one piece world, wich looked like a map of our world.
Sep 11, 2022 1:00 AM

Apr 2013
It was actually a pretty weak story... and a lot of the 3d animation actually looked off... expensive, but off...

But, that said, the songs were a banger, and while as a whole, the movie's story felt weak, many of the individual scenes felt okay and if you watched the filler episodes leading up to the movie, then it's enjoyable, seeing Luffy and Uta reunite. They actually had good chemistry....

Like, after Luffy meets again with Uta, it's basically just event after event.... not much build up, not much characterization... very little dialogue...

Like, a lot of it works more because we knew so many of the characters from the main series....

But, while the songs are top notch and Uta was a great character, it's a weak movie... not one of the best...

That said, I recommend watching it. It's still an enjoyable experience for One Piece fans...

But note, it's not because it's a good movie but because it's something nice to watch, if that makes sense.

But the events make little sense and it should be viewed as a fever dream...
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» So where is Kyuubey???

Hitagi__Furude - Mar 11, 2023

6 by Zarutaku »»
May 23, 6:22 AM

» Is this the worst one piece movie? ( 1 2 )

EndlessMaria - Mar 10, 2023

68 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 22, 3:52 PM

Poll: » Best Film Red Song (Since the movie is now out on streaming services)

Cestlavie_ - Mar 7, 2023

18 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:45 PM

» One Piece FILM RED is Confirmed to be 4th Highest-Grossing Anime Film Worldwide!

Ridzaxster - Feb 17, 2023

8 by yonkoakagami4 »»
Mar 12, 2023 6:59 PM

» Question about emperor of the seas (SPOILERS!!)

Ania_BH - Mar 9, 2023

7 by R77Prodigy »»
Mar 11, 2023 12:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.