Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 12, 2017 6:52 PM

Feb 2013
This looks amazing!!! Can't wait!
Dec 21, 2017 4:19 PM

Feb 2014
now that I'm thinking better... this could be a good yuri story...

2 girls, 1 playing a male character and the other a female... then in real life they meet but the girl playing the female character thought the person playing the male character would be a boy... but no...

Well, the rest you can guess.

Dec 21, 2017 11:59 PM

Aug 2015
oh my god it's old Tomoko XD
Dec 22, 2017 5:54 AM

Feb 2010
Anathor said:
I've been playing MMOs for years, and so far only a single time I found a girl playing a male and the reason was similar to males playing females "Don't want to watch a dude/girl butt all day long". I actually only played male characters up unting a couple years ago. I always asked myself why people played gender-swapped characters (didn't know about the above answer yet); so decided to give it a try with a female alt...well since then I've only been playing female characters xD. I think I made around 10? female alts in gw2 alone..That game especially has an "endgame" focused around fashion wars, and doing it with a female character is a whole other story. Not to mention that I tend to like female characters animations better, usually.

Well that was quite the digress..anyway I liked the premise of gender-swapped MCs in an MMO. I think this might be a very average anime; but nonetheless I still think I'm going to enjoy it, based on what I've seen so far.

Yeah that is pretty much the biggest reason to play the opposite gender. And a double-reason for many women as well. You may have only known 1, but you could have potentially played with hundreds or thousands, because most of us don't tell our gender in the game, or only talk in private chats. If you join a group of girl gamers there is pretty apparent population of women irl who play male characters, and even more so in the Yaoi/BL communities where seeing beautiful male characters is the ultimate desire (same as guys who want to see attractive girl characters).
There is also more exploration having been done within the BL community because of BL Games having us play the POV of a guy (and many of us realizing how much happier we are when we're not treated as, well, women, but rather gay men among men).

I've actually led much happier gaming life when I was identifying as a gay man, than when I became more open as female, but you still get treated with more respect even if you're openly female as long as you play a male character, because most straight guys will still be repelled from hitting on you or having nasty thoughts about you, from seeing your character as a dude, lol. Worst is the trolls who refuse to accept you're female irl or who are openly sexist because they don't think you'll care as a "fellow" man.

I think it also depends on the game, because I've noticed some games have a much higher amount of girls openly playing as guy characters, especially anime-style games that have the cuter/prettier male characters or games that have over-sexualized female characters. And certain communities in Second Life, particularly their anime community is very populated with people playing as opposite-sex anime avatars on both sides. About 90% of the good-looking (bishounen) anime male characters I've talked with on Second Life were young adult women IRL, and same vice versa for about 90% of the cute/sexy anime girls I've talked to ending up being male adults IRL.

Because I've grown up with this around me as the norm, I just sort of saw people's avatars as simply reflections of what they find attractive or admirable. I think that actually makes it a bit easier to find like-minded people you may get along with, similar to fashion.
PikangieDec 22, 2017 6:13 AM
Dec 30, 2017 3:45 PM

Jan 2017
Well, interesting first episode. I skipped this when it was airing basically cause i don't play games at all, any less mmo stuff, and i also don't like game-centered anime, so i was thinking this wasn't the right choice for me. But since it was so fervently recommended to me, i thought i'd give it a try.

Surprisingly, i could follow most stuff without problem (when it comes to mmo dynamics i'm lost so i thought i'd miss stuff), and the MC look just too freaking adorable. I really like the fact that they play different role genre as those irl.
How cute.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 30, 2017 8:14 PM

May 2012
For it being another MMORPG related anime, this one seems rather fun at first glance! The pacing was also quite spot on if you ask me, so I'm really looking forwards to see what this story will offer!
Jan 12, 2018 7:29 PM

Jan 2016
So yeah, I have ambivalent feelings at the end of the first episode.

The cons are pretty obvious. There is basically no character development at all apart from the main character. They jumped into it way too quickly. Within about 3 minutes, it went from "she created an account" to "she is friends with 7 people and they've been a squad for a while". That part... hurt my expectations. I mean, I know, you can't do a lot with 12 episodes, but this is Storymaking 101... you can't just bullshit your way through the first episode. Maybe they just wanted to get to the core of it, but it's too big of a sacrifice. Moreover, that part where she kept abandoning Lily is never really explained - perhaps it was because of her conversation with the guild's head, but even that was inconsistent in placement.

On the plus side, it was painfully adorable. I like the idea of the girl pretending to be a boy online, and how she finds the other girl adorable. This definitely feels like a feel-good anime, and that convenience store scene was unbeatable. I think they're pushing the idea that the guy in the convenience store is playing as Lily, but I bet you (based on the sheer number of characters dispalayed at the end) it's simply leading us astray. He probably plays a different character in the same guild. Anyway, it has room for improvement, but it's definitely not out of my book yet.

[Edit after episode 2] Nah I'm totes wrong. Lily is definitely that guy.
primaskiJan 12, 2018 8:27 PM
Jan 17, 2018 6:20 AM

Sep 2012
both are Traps man with girl char & woman with man char & they hit off so fast lol

the reveal will be hilarious

but the guy with girl char actually knows guild master in real life, near the Christmas tree the black haired guy was guild master & he was the 4eye they made it 2obwious
Jan 25, 2018 5:21 AM

Dec 2015
1st episode and already better than Overlord. This is the type of "gaming" anime that I'd prefer with a balance of irl and fantasy.
~
Mar 5, 2018 9:34 AM

Nov 2011
Start this anime series, because I was supported by people I know, otherwise I would not have taken into consideration. My impression is that I had a long time ago when I started the vision and then interrupt it: the protagonist is nice, the intertwining of real and virtual life is not bad, narration a little flicker and quality of the drawings very rough. I still have to evaluate the music sector carefully.
Mar 9, 2018 5:07 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
A first episode that does nothing wrong.
Find it refreshing it is a girl controlling the male avatar, even if she is a bit of a perverted (probably likes yuri to).

It is kinda amusing that the cute female avatar is probably that dude she found out while shopping.
Mar 31, 2018 11:51 AM

Dec 2015
I'm getting a few SAO vibes, especially from that pub guild scene.
Apr 1, 2018 8:05 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
The relationship between the two mains is more compelling in the first episode then all the shoe horned in romances I see. It's already winning.
Apr 9, 2018 5:13 AM

Aug 2016
I hope they will found out about their IRL genders soon, because I feel like watching homo romance so far. I mean, they are both traps, Two - gives you + in math, but they don't know that yet, so they willingly flirting with same gender. It's confusing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2018 4:45 AM

Mar 2015
Cool very relatable in the sense that you don't know if the female players are actually female IRL lmao
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 3, 2018 12:15 AM

Sep 2011
LOL that made me really happy.
Oct 24, 2018 4:18 PM

Aug 2017
Decent first episode. The comedy was boring until the supermarket scene. Let's watch what happens next.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 24, 2018 10:44 PM

Jan 2018
"I chose the NEET life" hahaha
Nov 16, 2018 6:57 AM

May 2013
Omg omg I really like this anime. I've been looking for a series like this, that's more RPG style. There are game animes out there, but it's more like a fantasy world. Not a lot of move based stuff and definitely no item equip leveling up. Starting off with a stick was AWESOME LMAO

I hope the IRL characters fall in love like they do in the game :') gives me back some nostalgia from SAO huehuehue C:
Mar 10, 2019 3:30 PM
Aug 2017
So is that guy GAY right???
Mar 23, 2019 1:38 AM
Jun 2017
Really love the OP and ED!
Nov 22, 2019 7:17 AM

Aug 2018
I start that serie today, it reminds me when I was kid I played mmorpg which called Metin2 without stoping. I had fooled too much horny stupids with fake girl gender. XD
Dec 29, 2019 6:29 PM

Aug 2018
wow boring boring what is this anime trying to say 30 year olds are boring people
Feb 5, 2020 11:17 AM

Apr 2013
Pretty slow start, but a cool premise. This is the first time I see a female NEET as protagonist in a show, interesting.
May 2, 2021 11:59 AM
Jun 2015
nice this might be a pretty wholesome romcome!
Jun 22, 2021 2:46 PM

Oct 2015
Just decided to stick this on because i keep seeing the opening being shown all over the place online. I'm not going to lie for a first episode that really wasn't too bad at all. Although, i can see there's trouble waiting to happen.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Jul 29, 2021 12:57 AM

Dec 2020
this anime is so funnn, its nothing special but its a really nice watch. guessing blonde guy at the convenience store was pink girl on game? and also her childhood friend she used to play with online. happy to see they have a game group tgt
Sep 21, 2021 10:47 PM

Apr 2020
Morioka is so cute, the scene in the supermarket was hilarious!
May 7, 2022 10:36 AM
Feb 2022
Aun no he aprendido sus nombre fuera del juego, así que los llamare como sus personajes. Pienso que si Hayashi (la chica) puede costearse su vida de nini y no le hace mal a nadie, ¿por que habría que juzgarla? . Me gusta la amistad y quien sabe si algo mas que ha conseguido con Lily, que fue muy buena al ayudarla empezando el juego. Ha empezado bien este anime.
Aug 7, 2022 4:44 PM
Mar 2022
Great first impression.. Our society is made up of all sorts of people. The everyday working man, prodigies, movie icons, singing legends, book smarts, street thugs, leaders, professional gamers, creative innovators. You name it. There’s always someone you’ve met in today’s society that you may be familiar with or completely contrasts who you are. There’s one type of people that our society doesn’t have a keen impression on though. That would be a NEET. Know what it stands for? At its most generic definition, it’s a person that is “not in education, employment, or training”. The stereotype about “gamers that stay in their parents basement” applies there. In a show like this, we get a first inside look at the life of a NEET and how their social life applies to their norms...
Aug 17, 2022 11:23 PM
Nov 2018
Waste of time? Slow writing that went literally nowhere??
Sep 9, 2022 6:04 AM

Sep 2017
trap and reverse trap in virtual world romance.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 15, 2022 2:28 AM

Oct 2022
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm likin' it so far. Moriko is a handful of fun, and the potential romance has me all giddy and smiley.
Looking forward to seeing more Moriko in the future!

Jan 10, 2023 2:37 AM
Dec 2022
A good start but more background to why the MC choose to be elite NEET
Mar 19, 2023 11:20 AM

Oct 2013
I almost can't believe it took me this long to start this series, cause my dumba** wanted to read the manga instead and then wait for it to continue. I mean, sorry to hear about the manga writers health problems, but I'm glad I convinced myself to finally go to see the supposed conclusion, after the manga kinda stopped dead in it's tracks on translations
"We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!"
Jan 25, 10:59 AM

Dec 2022
So the guy is playing as a girl, and the girl is playing as a guy. That'll be a shock for them when they both inevitably discover who's behind the avatar.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 29, 2:18 AM
Sep 2022
The premise was good. It's been a while since I last watched a romcom. And of course, as a gamer...
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2017

164 by mjjones0 »»
Yesterday, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2017

312 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 29, 5:55 AM

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

178 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 29, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Net-juu no Susume Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2017

155 by Forum »»
Feb 15, 8:23 AM

» The kind of ending I really hate

mufarari - Feb 7

4 by Musanka »»
Feb 9, 2:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.