Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 20, 2023 11:08 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to ForeverTraitor
Interesting that the demons in this world are completely amoral. I'm curious if morality could even be taught to them because they must understand empathy in concept to be able to manipulate it in complex ways like the diplomats do.
@ForeverTraitor Probably not. Empathy has two parts:
1) sharing feelings
2) understanding how someone feels

1 is out of instinct, 2 requires thought and sometimes judgment

Since they lack 1, they can not base their morality on empathy.
Morality towards humans just out of self preservation wouldn't work either, especially when their instinct is for humans to be prey.
Oct 20, 2023 11:15 AM

Dec 2018
This show has been a really great surprise this season. Frieren said what doesn't sound nice but is still true. Like trying to pet a Tiger you think is cuddly, not everything is going to cuddle you back.
Oct 20, 2023 11:28 AM
Oct 2023
And this is why you should never empathize and negotiate with a demon. You should strike back and annihilate them.
Oct 20, 2023 11:57 AM

Jan 2019
@watsym I agree that from what we've seen of them it seems unlikely, but I can think of several stories that have had a human predator unable to even comprehend morality, go on to develop at least some kind of emotional connection.

It makes for more interesting storytelling too. "This race is inherently and unchangeably evil and the only solution to them is genocide" only goes so far, and Frieren does not feel like the show to commit to that when it's been pretty lighthearted and contemplative up to this point. I could be wrong of course.

Oct 20, 2023 1:08 PM
Oct 2022
“Stronger than Aura the Guillotine” had me smiling from ear to ear. This adaptation is so so so good.
Oct 20, 2023 1:09 PM

Aug 2023
any manga reader here? just want to know is fights good in this series. i mean stark vs dragon was good but now like we will see actual big fight (i am still enjoying the show Best this season but considering its a SOL kind of a show so don't know how big fights will turn out).
Oct 20, 2023 1:12 PM

Nov 2013
Wow, demons who are actually demons. Kind of rare as we often get demons with feelings and empathy. Frieren's gonna obliterate them with a yawn I suppose.
Oct 20, 2023 1:28 PM
Mar 2023
I’m jacking that this is the best show this season. I haven’t been this floored by a show in a LONG time.
Oct 20, 2023 1:42 PM
Jul 2021
5/5 episode for me. This episode was so great for world building. We learn about what is considered a demon by definition, their lack of emotions or familial structure. We also get a tidbit about elves not feeling urges for romance and sex, which is interesting because a lot of people are wondering if Frieren will realize she loved Himmel. She said “across the board” specifically, so it doesn’t seem impossible still.

The dramatic irony with Frieren sitting around in a jail cell being the only one aware of the demon’s intentions was adding so much suspense to every scene.

I’m really hoping we just watch her go for mode next episode, but we’ll see if there’s any other surprises next episode.
Oct 20, 2023 1:47 PM
Mar 2023
frireeeeeeeeen is so strong
Oct 20, 2023 2:09 PM

Feb 2014
Fern's reaction to Frieren waking up early for once was very amusing! XD

It was interesting to understand as to why elves are far and few between, as Frieren stated that her species lacks the romantic feelings and reproductive instincts to increase their population, hence why she comments that her race might be slowly going extinct.

The main focus of the episode was of the demons and how Frieren says that they can't be reasoned with. While it did get her into and trouble and was taken into an dungeon cell (The way she was carried was funny, though), she told Fern and Stark about her encounter with one when she was with Himmel and the others in the past, where this demon was given a chance to atone by a village chief, only for him to be killed by the demon, leaving Himmel and Frieren with no choice but to kill the young demon in response.

The scene involving the demon Lunger and his companions does show their overall goal to lower the town's defenses through negotiations, although one of them decided that he wanted to kill off Frieren, so he went off on his own to confront her. I'm certain that she'll put him in his place in the next episode, hopefully. =P
Oct 20, 2023 2:22 PM

Apr 2018
The depiction of demons as discussed in another thread is an excellent part of the anime. Frieren's dead set on demons not being able to communicate with humans for the greater good, but only to deceive. Aside from that, it is actually amazing how they make the smallest things in the anime, the most fun. Fren's reaction to Frieren waking up, Stark and Fren's conversation by the road etc. Well, it should be a great episode next week.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 20, 2023 2:36 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to ForeverTraitor
@watsym I agree that from what we've seen of them it seems unlikely, but I can think of several stories that have had a human predator unable to even comprehend morality, go on to develop at least some kind of emotional connection.

It makes for more interesting storytelling too. "This race is inherently and unchangeably evil and the only solution to them is genocide" only goes so far, and Frieren does not feel like the show to commit to that when it's been pretty lighthearted and contemplative up to this point. I could be wrong of course.
@ForeverTraitor It doesn't make make for more interesting storytelling. It just make interesting storytelling easier to write. How far author can get with "This race is inherently and unchangeably evil and the only solution to them is genocide" only depends on creators skill.

As for demons in this anime, there is no point of trying apply our standard of good or evil on them as they are completely removed from such concepts in first place. Only human-like spieces can be evil, demons are only smart beasts that have human shape.
Tenzen12Oct 20, 2023 2:40 PM
Oct 20, 2023 2:36 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to ArimaKana
The demons are irredeemable and are truly villains unlike in most animes. Elves lack reproductive instinct as how usually elves are shown except for that one blonde elf in that one anime.
@ArimaKana Tolkien elves were actually pretty horny but were losing their sexual drive after getting a bunch of children (varied depending on each elf).
Oct 20, 2023 2:39 PM

Jun 2017
"Frieren the Slayer"? Can't wait for doomin time.
Oct 20, 2023 2:59 PM
May 2022
Fern really seems to only have two modes: she´s either very respectful or just abusive. No in between.
I don´t know hoe Frieren feels about people talking about her master Flamme has if she never existed. When there´s no one that remembers you and the physical proof is also small, that´s what happens. Another moment to drive home the point this whole adventure is trying to make: remembering people helps keep them and their deeds alive.
Oct 20, 2023 3:27 PM

Dec 2017
Frieren confirmed for aro/ace, neat!
Loved how demons were portrayed as evil itself and there wasn't some "we're different cultures" explanation like the Gargoyles from Ultima, they're predators, period.

Also, couldn't help to start collecting the manga.
Oct 20, 2023 3:47 PM
Jul 2021
oh my god... frieren's gonna bring an unforgettable destruction to those demons, 10/10
Oct 20, 2023 4:01 PM

Apr 2012
Frieren the demon slayer next episode.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 20, 2023 4:19 PM

Nov 2021
Reply to Silliarde
"We are not fairy tales, we really existed".
@Silliarde beautiful ahh quote
Oct 20, 2023 4:55 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Anto8642
Really liked this episode, also is it me or was the little demon girl genuinely trying to correct her previous mistake? I didn't feel any real malice in what she did.
@Anto8642 Because malice dont exist in their brain, aren't build in, they feel less variety of emotions than humans, simply as that
Oct 20, 2023 4:57 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to ForeverTraitor

@ForeverTraitor There's a massive difference between a human for whom not feeling emotions is a defect, and a species whose brain never evolved to even have the concept. The former is like a person who is born blind being cured to see, and the latter is like a human suddenly growing wings.

There are already so many shows out there with the "demons are just misunderstood" trope that it's actually refreshing to see truly evil demons again. It's almost like people are conditioned into thinking this trope is necessary, whereas there is absolutely no need for it to always be the case. I don't see how this is "hard to pull off".

Also, the last line of the episode is pretty epic.
Oct 20, 2023 5:21 PM
May 2022
This adaptation is amazing so far. Very faithful, excellent animation and music. Perfectly incapsulates the vibe of the manga.

As for this episode, demons. Maybe my favorite depiction of them I’ve seen. The flashback was fantastic. Demons are just evil and have evolved to speak to deceive and kill humans. They will do even more with this later but for now, the introduction was great. Getting to the first real arc of the anime. As always looking forward to more because it’s been so good so far.
Oct 20, 2023 5:30 PM
Oct 2021
good eps, we can see the bad deeds from the devil
Oct 20, 2023 5:30 PM

Apr 2022
another great episode. it's been a lil while since i've read the manga but "we are not fairy tales, we really existed" really hit me hard all over again. junichi suwabe as lugner, wow. that flashback was just great as well, the demons in this are very interesting and that ost hit. himmel can be a menace behind the sword when it counts.
Oct 20, 2023 5:41 PM
Oct 2016
I love the harsh tone this episode had to start the new arc. Frieren being the only one whom knows the true nature of demons. The story didn't try to show Frieren was wrong about demons it just further proved she's right and they can't be trusted. One of the benefits of living over a thousand years is retaining knowledge that generations of humans lose. The constant flashbacks to Frieren journey with Himmel are always used so well. This episode showing again how Frieren time with Himmel has impacted her. Seeing first hand the frustrating human compassion even for a demon who had just killed a little girl. Later on even killing the village chief that took her in, a horrible recompense for saving the demons life. Frieren knows that demons only speak human language to deceive, there no other reason they talk to humans. Demons are only trying to kill and eat humans, peace envoys or calling out for their mom is only deceit. Frieren being absolutely on sight with these demons posing as peace talkers in this town was amazing. These humans might have fought demons for a long time but they don't know their true nature. The leader of this town was so close to ending the threat but just like Himmel in the past he's fallen victim to a demons words. Pointing out they speak the same language so they have to make amends. But no, there is no peace talks with demons. They don't desire peace, they only trick and kill. Frieren will have to put an end to them to save this town.
Oct 20, 2023 6:03 PM

May 2011
Reply to Jonas-K
So elves don't have many romantic feelings and reproductive instincts? I wish human beings were like that too haha.
@Jonas-K

We would have gone extinct a very long time ago.

We are partly here because of the opposite of which you wish for.

I like existing, thank you, and I wish the same for others.
Oct 20, 2023 6:12 PM

Mar 2019
Reply to Ausp
@Jonas-K

We would have gone extinct a very long time ago.

We are partly here because of the opposite of which you wish for.

I like existing, thank you, and I wish the same for others.
@Ausp I just made a joke... why everyone takes everything so seriously? ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Oct 20, 2023 6:13 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 20, 2023 6:19 PM
May 2017
Reply to kuroneko99
The last conversation was cool. It's worth watching this episode just for it.

@kuroneko99 When I compare Frieren to Galadriel, I am not joking... Frieren certainly is cuter than Galadriel but it is an absurd how powerful both elves are.
Oct 20, 2023 6:23 PM

Jun 2013
Johan Liebert is a demon confirmed
May 2017
Reply to Jonas-K
So elves don't have many romantic feelings and reproductive instincts? I wish human beings were like that too haha.
@Jonas-K Half-elves are the solution!

May 2011
Reply to Jonas-K
@Ausp I just made a joke... why everyone takes everything so seriously? ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
@Jonas-K Because I've been seeing other posters expressing very similar ideas here and on other forums. (In general and not necessarily in response to this anime or episode.)

So, you made a joke about a point that many others have been observed to be serious about. It's easy to lump you in with them.
I don't even know why you would make a joke about that if there isn't any serious consideration about it. At the same time, you're free to have your opinion.
Oct 20, 2023 6:36 PM

Dec 2016
this anime is perfect. when she delivered "I'm stronger than Aura the Guillotine" i was sent
Squealer: My kind are neither slaves nor beasts.
Judge: If you’re not beasts, then what are you?
Squealer: WE ARE HUMANS!!!

Watashitachi wa ningen da!!!
Oct 20, 2023 6:38 PM

Dec 2016
erikkamirs said:
Sensing a lot of anti-demon settlement around here...

In seriousness, one of the fascinating points of the manga was their cutthroat depiction of demons. These guys are not human or even human-like.

Also one of the demons reminds me of Johan Liebert from Monster.

omg yes, his coldness adds so much to it too
Squealer: My kind are neither slaves nor beasts.
Judge: If you’re not beasts, then what are you?
Squealer: WE ARE HUMANS!!!

Watashitachi wa ningen da!!!
Oct 20, 2023 6:50 PM

Sep 2011
Damn, Frieren got a lot more interesting when she was revealed to be a justified racist
Oct 20, 2023 7:20 PM

Feb 2011
I have an absolutely throbbing hard on for the next episode, so damn excited the blood is filling my corpous cavernosa

Oct 20, 2023 7:25 PM

Mar 2019
Reply to Ausp
@Jonas-K Because I've been seeing other posters expressing very similar ideas here and on other forums. (In general and not necessarily in response to this anime or episode.)

So, you made a joke about a point that many others have been observed to be serious about. It's easy to lump you in with them.
I don't even know why you would make a joke about that if there isn't any serious consideration about it. At the same time, you're free to have your opinion.
@Ausp I understood your point, what motivated me to make this infamous joke was just to criticize the current state of society in which we live. ☕🗿
Oct 20, 2023 7:36 PM
Aug 2018
Finally I can say that I didn't feel sleepy watching this work, this specific episode gave me a boost.
Oct 20, 2023 7:50 PM

Jul 2017
A pretty slow episode but compelling one by the end, especially surrounding the natures of how demons are portrayed in this series and the complexities showcased with their behaviors and actions as a whole while having demons actually be portrayed as such. The music was stellar as usual throughout.
Oct 20, 2023 8:07 PM

Apr 2017
That last part is really badass eventhought its just a conversation
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Oct 20, 2023 8:08 PM
Oct 2021
every.single.time himmel is on screen i start tearing up
Oct 20, 2023 8:42 PM

Apr 2018
Another episode, another roasting of Stark, poor guy can't catch a break.

First time we're seeing demons with striking human resemblance, Frieren knows and doesn't hesitate to shoot on sight. Justifiably so given what we've seen of demons in this universe - no gray area, undeniably evil and manipulative at least so far. Pretty refreshing and curious to see if anything changes down the line.
Oct 20, 2023 8:56 PM

Mar 2007
Can never trust those demons, they're all up to no good.
Oct 20, 2023 9:02 PM

Jul 2014
Himmel's reason for getting all those statues made of them... <3.

Damn, I love how Frieren casually tells the demon that came to kill her that she's stronger than Aura.

Also, it's really interesting the way the demons are depicted here. I like it.
Oct 20, 2023 9:16 PM
Oct 2020
I give it a 10 out of 10 for Frieren's last sentence.
Oct 20, 2023 9:31 PM
Jan 2018
Frieren Is about to go to the demons funeral after sending them there..
Oct 20, 2023 9:33 PM
Nov 2019
datang ke tempat dimana ada iblis yg harus dimusnahkan
My Candies :
Oct 20, 2023 10:26 PM

Jun 2019
Frieren's closing line is awesome, just flexing how powerful she is.
Oct 20, 2023 10:44 PM
Jul 2021
omg this show is so fucking peak
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» When will S2 happen ;__;

FrierenSimpKing - May 29

35 by Scyon »»
10 hours ago

» Is Himmel a Manic Pixie Dream Boy?

Moonshine_cookie - Yesterday

15 by Mdraj6996 »»
Today, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2023

333 by haminshamin »»
Yesterday, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

273 by Arxanum »»
Yesterday, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

232 by Vindicater »»
May 31, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.