Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 25, 2018 9:03 PM

Mar 2018
It's like Albert Camus and Carl Jung got together to write an anime. I think I've mostly worked out everything but I'm still not sure the significance of the aliens or what they're supposed to represent.
Apr 25, 2018 9:41 PM

Jun 2015
Bfolls said:
It's like Albert Camus and Carl Jung got together to write an anime. I think I've mostly worked out everything but I'm still not sure the significance of the aliens or what they're supposed to represent.

The alien is a red herring to the internet and theories that circulate on it. Lain takes the form of the alien and sees the alien to represent her alienation. Hope that helps you understand it a bit better.
Apr 26, 2018 5:07 AM
Apr 2018
MagicLikeMike said:
Bfolls said:

The alien is a red herring to the internet and theories that circulate on it. Lain takes the form of the alien and sees the alien to represent her alienation. Hope that helps you understand it a bit better.

Not necessarily;

http://www.cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm#alien

Like many other things, there are different possible interpretations of the alien concept in Lain. So, you cant say for sure what you say is the true explanation or the meaning of the alien in Lain.
cobra55Apr 26, 2018 6:14 AM
Apr 30, 2018 11:04 AM

Oct 2013
This was not confusing at all.
Maybe a bit too trippy for the sake of being trippy, but everything makes sense.

Idk why people rewatch it multiple times trying to get the bigger picture.
May 4, 2018 6:28 PM
Feb 2017
cobra55 said:
meowhollymeow said:
I didn’t understand most of what was happening then.

Based on your post, I could easily say you don't understand most of what was happening now either.

It's funny that you didn't finish reading what I wrote, because that was my point. I didn't understand it then (just liked it for being "deep" and "weird") but re-watching it as an adult I still didn't see deeper meaning.

To make this a bit more detailed: I didn't understand the deeper theme of movies/tv/art when I first watched Lain. But after going through high school and college for art (with plenty of art/ film studies for fun) I would say this show isn't deep, it's weird for the sake of being weird. It's an enjoyable trip, but not one that needs a "Serial Experiments Lain 101" class dedicated to deciphering.
May 4, 2018 6:47 PM
Feb 2017
Hmm, maybe it was a bit much for me to say it's not deep. You can analyze anything and everything, especially in art and shows. So when I say I didn't understand, I don't mean "literally nothing made sense". I mean the show isn't any more philosophical or deep than other well made anime (pretty much any psychological dramas), this one just has a more trippy/hallucinogenic atmosphere to it.

Lain is the Wired, a physical manifestation of the collective human consciousness. The story takes a long path to unravel the mystery of what the plot even is. lol
May 19, 2018 11:28 PM
Feb 2018
someone explain to me WHY THE HELL IS THIS MASTERPIECE RATED 7.99?!
Aug 25, 2018 4:16 PM

May 2018
Wow!! I finally understand all of the confusing things. obviously I will put into my favorite this beautiful anime.

10/10
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Sep 1, 2018 6:00 PM

May 2018
I watched this anime for the first time 10 years ago and I rated it a 6/10. I kept seeing people on MAL rating it a 9/10 and 10/10 with the overall score just a tad over 8/10.

I'm glad I watched it again because it made more sense to me this time around and held my attention better. What a difference a decade makes, eh?

I still have the same question that I had 10 years ago. How was Lain able to see her "dad" again? Was Lain in the COD package that he was waiting for to be delivered? How did was he still able to vividly remember Lain, when no one else could?

Anyways, after a decade, I changed my original score of 6/10 to a 7/10.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 21, 2018 8:56 AM
Jan 2017

but only oce so in episode 13,,
the world is back to normal and the new life without Lain is begin too,, like lain family is only lain father and lain mother breakfast together, arisu going to school and meeet her friend then forgetting about lain..
next chisa the girl whos died at episode one back to alive ,
but there still big mistery, not enough once watching,,
like what is wired?, what the connection between alien?, what happen to god after lose again Lain?, and what purpose this anime?...
rewrite the data? losing people memories,,
at the end lain meet the adult arisu and say that she ever know her but lain just say the first time they meet and saying goodbye then lain become a a watcher in the worlrld,,

just wtf anime i ever seen,, its hard to understand what plot is,, but still great storys the new line of anime

Oct 21, 2018 8:58 AM
Jan 2017
cacatoes said:
someone explain to me WHY THE HELL IS THIS MASTERPIECE RATED 7.99?!
now going to 8.00,, i dont know yeh
Nov 3, 2018 12:44 AM

Oct 2016
The substance of existentialism in this last episode was incredible.
Combined with the theme of memories and the collective unconscious in people...
God dammit!
This series deals with a lot of topics related to humans and society in general.
In the scene with the salary man and the builders, that was something like a déjà vu.
Rewrite everyone's memory and at the same time continue there.
It really leaves you thinking.
An impressive series that I have to see more times.
Jan 24, 2019 10:28 PM

Aug 2014
felt like a cross between the matrix and lucy
Feb 20, 2019 8:21 AM
Sep 2016
I don't understand a large portion of this show's plot, but that didin't stop me from enjoying it so much.
In this episode lain reseted everything, or rather rewrote everyone's memory to erase her existance.
I have absolutely no clue where does she exist, and what has she became.
Chisa being alive again would suggest that lain became a being that can contro l both physical and wired world, so is she basically a being that has a human psyche and is all-powerful? That seems so weird to me.
That is my first time viewing the show, probably gonna rewatch it sometime to understand it better.
As of now, with my limited understanding of the plot, its 8/10 for me.
Apr 14, 2019 9:42 AM

Oct 2012
I still have so many questions
Why did Lain killed those agents?
Who is Lain's big sister actually? Why she lost her minds?
Why did she meet with adult Arisu?

I feel bad for Lain
She's alone now, or maybe not because she can resets anything

I can't understand the philosophical of this anime
It's too far away from my reach
All I know that I feel bad for Lain, as long she doesn't exist.. everything is fine :(
Rayl1ghtApr 14, 2019 10:00 AM
"Signature removed"
Apr 24, 2019 5:00 PM
Jul 2014
Rayl1ght said:
I still have so many questions
Why did Lain killed those agents?
Who is Lain's big sister actually? Why she lost her minds?
Why did she meet with adult Arisu?

I feel bad for Lain
She's alone now, or maybe not because she can resets anything

I can't understand the philosophical of this anime
It's too far away from my reach
All I know that I feel bad for Lain, as long she doesn't exist.. everything is fine :(

^This is why people rewatch. I say so answering to dc22, who said that it was easy to understand.

It's easy to understand by a certain perspective.
There is no clear and objective answer to everything. That's why people rewatch it. Hell, there is a fucking reference to Proust!

Said so, I have read many ideas about what happened in the last minutes of the show (aka "Meeting Dad + Alice").

For me, it was a positive ending.
Lain has to deal with her condition of "disconnected" which she inflicted upon herself.
Either she does live with it or she goes back to interact with the world, something she clearly would like to do but knows that it's bad as this lead to pain and suffering for many people.
Also, she would need to deal with her not-human nature. Her eldritch nature, almost Lovecraftian from a certain perspective.
If she used her own powers to the maximum level, the world just wouldn't "be", it would become akin to a world of fantasy created in her mind. People would only be characters in her story and events would be like tv shows for her.

But IMO she accepts her godlike condition and decides to deal with it in the "easy way". She will simply stop using her powers. Period.

Eiri used bjs own powers in a negative way, manipulating people and all, inflicting pain upon people to further his own goals. She decides to not do such a thing.
By getting out of the world, she basically gave back free will to humans.
She won't be able to protect or help anyone, but she won't even damage them. She won't be remembered, but she won't be hated (or she won't hate herself).

To me, the first 12 episodes are a "test" for Lain personality, a test that will define how she will connect to humankind.
Apr 27, 2019 12:04 AM

Sep 2013
I'm just glad Lain seemed happy at the end

8/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 1, 2019 4:03 PM

Dec 2014
It seems that the biggest gripe of a lot of people is that lain is boring, I even read somebody saying "It's not supposed to be entertaining". This made me question what some people define as "entertaining". I can understand how this show is not liked by many people though, if the first few episodes don't pull you in and you let your thoughts wander you'll likely miss almost everything that isn't obvious, so like 80% of the show.

I want to mention the visual and sound design though because I feel like both have greatly enhanced the dense atmosphere and fit extremely well with the overall avant-garde presentation, especially considering how consistent everything was from start to finish.

Although I feel like I have a decent grasp over everything I'm definitely going to rewatch lain multiple times since this is now one of my favourites and I feel like rewatching might make me like it even more.

9/10
HiroM_Aug 15, 2019 6:22 PM
Jun 24, 2019 1:45 PM
Jan 2014
All I'm seeing here in defense of Lain is 'here is why lain sayin she iznt reel is 1000 iq, dont get it? guess ur not smarty farty enuf lol"

What a waste of my time this show truly was.
Good attempt for trying to sound smart, though.

light 6/10.
Sep 6, 2019 1:27 AM

May 2018
This ending was nice. After defeating the fake God of Wired she decided to remove herself and restart everything in the world, but then realizing that existing was good than being no one. Love this anime, it gives me a different kind of vibe compared to the other anime. It is nice that they don't explain everything about the Wired because that would ruined the unknown side of the anime, it would not be enjoyable anymore. "Present Day, Present Time" basically right now, the world is getting eaten by the technology and that's what this anime shows.

Oct 1, 2019 7:14 PM

Mar 2016
In the beginning I felt like this show was mostly an aesthetic, because it was hard to connect to as entertainment, with a mystery regarding Lain's own sense of identity that only really begins in an obvious way after the midpoint of the show. In this sense she barely felt like a character at all for a good portion of it. But episodes 11 and 12 were exceptional and, I think, brought a lot of disparate ideas together. This ending, I think being the only satisfactory ending after all of that, was nicely done.

Not really sure how resetting memories brings supposedly dead people back to life. Then again, I'm not exactly certain what kind of privilege biological bodies actually have in this series. Lain herself being a bridge between the Wired and the real world would explain that perhaps. and she does seem to have 'supernatural' abilities in a few scenes. But in all honesty, I'm still not sure how she can manipulate memories as memories (Earth frequencies or whatever the fuck?). But it seems like in the end, she sort of just fades away and lingers on the periphery, with Arisu sort of recognizing her on a subconscious level, and everyone probably having the potential to experience something similar.

But yeah, technology is probably going to swallow us up one day...if it hasn't already.
syncrogazerOct 1, 2019 7:35 PM
Oct 20, 2019 11:46 PM
Feb 2019
This series is indeed a Masterpiece. The story was driven properly and also the use of visual story telling made the anime. Look this is not an anime for everybody but if you would give a maximum effort of analyzing the show and re-watching it you would see why the anime is considered to be a masterpiece. The way the author portray his opinion about the computers, cellphones, and other technology in this anime is Just True because it shows here that most of the people here are being manipulated by the technology and also the way these changes our personality like Lain for example a series that just gave us a clear example of how technology will affect our future. This was made in 1998 and hell over 21 years now that theory of the author was still true
Oct 20, 2019 11:59 PM
Feb 2019
SailorGappy said:
All I'm seeing here in defense of Lain is 'here is why lain sayin she iznt reel is 1000 iq, dont get it? guess ur not smarty farty enuf lol"

What a waste of my time this show truly was.
Good attempt for trying to sound smart, though.

light 6/10.
[quote=SailorGappy]

Again the anime isn't for everyone and also the story is not a use of words to create it's story building they use Visual Story telling well it's kinda hard to tell what the flop is happening on the screen and that happened to me most of the times that's why I tried re watching it over and over again. Though the message in this show is just clear because it right now the technology have manipulated most of the people right now being addicted in games, social medias etc... And the way that the author portray it was good and flawless that's why it's a good show it's not a waste of time if you like seinen dementia and psychological shows like this because it's a slow paced story building and no actions in it unlike other shows in the shounen animes. I respect your taste dude but I'm just giving my opinion in why this anime isn't a watse of time and I won't force you to re-watch it again but just give it a try
Nov 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Apr 2018
I didn't understand anything but this is cool anime
Nov 17, 2019 3:17 PM

Nov 2008
Wow... What an anime! Not bad AT ALL for a 98 short series on a short budget... What a mindf**k that was! Great concepts being explored..
Nov 18, 2019 7:49 PM

Jun 2017
Mind-blown 😵🤯

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 19, 2019 2:18 PM
Jan 2015
"And you don't seem to understand..." - now that's perfect song for this anime. Well played. This was my first shot on that kind of anime. (I watched long time ago NHK, but I don't recall it being similar) There was a time (around 4 episode) when I thought - "damn, what? why? Should I quit it?" Some part of me didn't enjoy the series, because I never liked movies, games etc. with a lot of symbolic stuff.

Me: Hey anime, can you give me some answers?
Anime: Well yes... but actually no.

As a person who was big IT nerd I loved what Lain did with these computers. I honestly think that the scene when she was modifying her computer was crucial for me, because I finally got some enjoyment and I managed to continue watching.
Being half-naked, switching parts in old computers and installing windows 98 - I experienced that. Anime + IT = YES PLEASE. Duvet (8-bit) OH, YES.

Also when I think that anime was created in 1998 which is also my birthday I go crazy. 98 is just a number which pop ups in my life very often and completely random and some reason I love it. Probably nostalgia. Also I felt something similar when watching Lain.

My first interpretation was full of bugs, but I managed to fix it with some videos explaining series and main protagonist. When everything is clear for me I can appreciate it even more.

My brain flipped after last episode. My whole next day was "Life is kinda meaningless without Lain" and I was basically listening to that opening song all time. I know it will pass soon, but damn. I'm feeling very sad, but I like it at the same time. I'm gonna enjoy Lain's blessing as long as I can.

"And I didn't seem to understand, but at least I'm gonna be an honest man".

Guys, did I tell you I'm introvert and I'm even worse at social life than Lain? Well, there you go.

10/10 ofc, but I won't recommend watching it to anyone.

Dec 31, 2019 11:59 AM

Dec 2018
this was a great show but i didn’t really enjoy the ending all that much... i’m more of an idealistic ending person. probably shouldn’t have expected that with this show but
Feb 16, 2020 2:40 AM

Oct 2019
Welp I watched this all in the span of 12ish hours, good to say my brain has been through some shit today trying to wrap my head around the beginning to feeling rewarded with the last couple episodes.

Of course having a decade's worth of discussion to read through after each episode helped me lol.

Definitely the first series where I thought to myself "I need some damn exposition"

Wonder if the creator of magica madoka took inspiration from this, mainly from the ending not really the plot

Anyway solid 9/10, cheers m8

*edit* I love what the dude 2 post above me said, "10/10 ofc, but would not recommend to anyone" LMAOOOOO so true
KanetopherFeb 16, 2020 2:43 AM
Apr 21, 2020 1:09 PM
Feb 2015
Very weird pacing and the ending episode is worse than Evangelion, I didn't like this show at all.

Maybe I'll give it a rewatch sometime
Apr 29, 2020 11:41 AM

Feb 2019
Ending was a bit relaxing compared to other episodes. The concepts this anime explored were interesting. I might just read about them sometime...
May 10, 2020 10:38 AM

Jul 2019
The plot was good.i think they could make it much better than this one.anyway the story was very interesting.i enjoyed it
May 17, 2020 2:23 AM

Dec 2013
Well I think this anime is not for everyone. I will not give it a score for now and maybe will re watch in the future. It's not that I hate it but I particularly don't like it either. Maybe because this is really confusing for me. I would like to know the reviews of other people though.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 24, 2020 9:36 AM
Nov 2017
Wow i just found that in the last scene where Lain is standing at the pedestrian bridge, she didn't wear her bear costume (hat), where in the OP she threw her hat away, indicates that she had put down all the burden like what her father said.
May 31, 2020 11:21 AM

Jul 2015
Disappointed due to all the great things I'd heard about this anime. It's certainly unique, and nothing really exists quite like it in anime. That said I didn't find it all that enjoyable. The art style, aesthetic and soundtrack were nice, but the plot just wasn't there for me. I never connected with the characters or cared all that much what was happening to them.

The themes were there but they never really resonated with me. I noticed them but they didn't do much interesting with them. The show was often vague for the sake of being vague, which annoys me in media. We spend the entire show wondering what's going on and then the payoff wasn't that great anyway.

memorable, but not very entertaining: 6/10
Jun 23, 2020 12:38 PM

May 2016
There were moments where my head was overloaded with details and scientific jargon that ultimately didn't matter in the end and parts where I felt that it's just being trippy just for the sake of being weird especially in the middle parts but the last two episodes were really something. It definitely improved my opinion of the series, that's for sure.

It was really sad to see that Lain erased her existence from everyone's minds for Arisu's sake but that one act saved everyone from putting themselves in harm's way because of her being there as the mysterious godlike program of the Wired. I really liked how she denied her lonely existence as an omniscient overseer when her more rational side tried to convince her to accept her current fate and seeing her being content with just talking to her friend again even if she doesn't remember her was very heartwarming and bittersweet.

Once she knew the beauty of just simply existing in the hearts of others and cherishing the memories she had experienced, she just couldn't give it up and that's a beautiful thing. Good for you, Lain~

Jun 25, 2020 12:04 PM

Jun 2014
Even though you can get the gist of what's going on throughout the series, I believe that a lot of the episodes were unnecessarily convoluted and weird. Thankfully, everything falls into place at the end, and the main themes are excellently portrayed imo. Definitely a unique anime.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jul 19, 2020 6:01 AM
Jul 2020
Honestly i feel Sad For her because she's Alone now. but she decides that Anyway and For Good.
Aug 5, 2020 3:01 PM
Apr 2018
SEL is a very satisfying experience if understood properly. Then again, there are multiple ways to interpret at least some parts of it so nothing is set in stone - it's basically layers upon layers of information concerning modern times, philosophy, conspiracy theories, etc.

Furthermore, it feels fresh and its overall message is even more relatable nowadays with the spread of Internet, video games and addictions related to them.

For those who feel that they missed out on things and/or they only started to "get" the show at the very end, I definitely suggest revisiting it at some point. It helps and enriches the experience. That's how I feel after rewatching it.

For me, it's a 9/10. Very 90s and NGE-esque at times (in the best way possible) yet unique and inspiring. A must watch for every (hardcore) anime fan.
Aug 13, 2020 5:09 AM

Feb 2020
I don't remember having given anyone the permission to give me an existential crisis. As if I wasn't anxious enough already !
But well, that was a great experience.
I ultimately was very far from the truth but at the same time, not as much as I first thought... Though I don't really know how to put it. I don't really know where I was right and where I was wrong because well... There's a lot to proceed.
The message is a very interesting one that I actually more or less figured before, though in a way less messed up way. "If no one remembers you, you've never existed. If they only remember a specific side of you, only this side ever existed."
It is so confusing but it also somehow makes perfect sense.
I also saw someone explaining that according to the show's producer, the finale message is supposed to be that due to us recalling Lain, Lain exists in our world too and is more than just an anime character, something I figured before thanks to the opening with Lain appearing on the screen, and that's quire an interesting message, I love it. I actually thought about similar stuff before, that basically everything that happens in a fictional story is real in the way that we know this story exists... I mean, it technically doesn't exist since it's fictional but since we know about this story and those characters, we can't stay it truly doesn't exist. It does, in our mind. Speaking of mind, I'm currently destroying mine.
To get back to the show, I think the whole thing about Lain existing due to us remembering her is also pretty confusing since well, while the characters don't remember some events, we do, so they still happened. There's also the existence of the other Lain, we remember her so she does exist. That's so confusing but I love it.
As a whole, this show is very, very confusing but great. There's a lot I haven't understood yet, especially when it comes to the plot and the different Lains, but I'll rewatch it to figure it out better. (Though definitely not before some time, I don't wanna kill my brain again.)

I give it 9/10, and I don't think that will change. It was truly great, mostly when it comes to the characters (especially Lain), the themes and the atmosphere, but the story itself was very confusing. I think the lack of actual explanations can make people sound smart but ultimately, it doesn't make for a good narrative, which is what costed it a 10 but it's still a great anime !

Edit : Oh, and one last thing : I really like the fact that Lain expressed real pain when she made people forget her. It's too often that shows preent this kind of situation with the forgotten character always being perfectly fine, as if being forgotten and alone isn't at all an issue. Lain has always felt very human, love it.
FafetteAug 13, 2020 5:35 AM
Aug 20, 2020 9:31 PM

Nov 2016
I understood the story and what it was trying to convey but my god was it boring. If only it had been adapted to be entertaining to watch this would've been in the top 10 ranked animes on MAL.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Aug 23, 2020 10:28 PM
Oct 2019
Really surprised to get such a rather happy ending, I am little unsure if Lain decided to exist in the real world again at the end rather than to stop exiting completely as Alice does greet her as does her boyfriend I am not sure if this ending is meant to be looked at literally or not perhaps she can wander the world without being remembered what she was?

I do feel like I do get it, I was confused at some points but never to a point it made me lost in the plot, a lot of that may have been credited to my poor short-term memory or simply failing at grasping what was being told to me lol, but after a few rewatches of certain scenes/episodes and thinking about things in retrospect I feel like I get it, either way the anime offers many things to think about.

It is fun looking back what certain scenes meant in retrospect after everything was explained, but man, it was so intriguing and intense, for a 13-episode long show it had a lot of content to offer, devoid of filler expect for that "montage" in EP11, which I felt was really cool and pretty handy anyway, there are many "layers" to dig through and many view points to look at this anime from, from the technological one and psychological one as the anime comments as they often comment how the one influences the other, indeed - Lain's multiple personalities she has shown throughgout the show can be explained through plot leans, but it also can be seen as a commentatory about the different faces users may put on once they're in the online world, Lain's many personalities and her struggle with indentity has been one of my favorite moments in the show.

A really satisyfing anime with a satisfying ending featuring some amazing imaginery, sound-work, soundtrack. One of the best anime shows I have seen.

Either way you look at it, the ending is positive as it tells us that humanity cannot be replaced and the body we walk around isn't a mere hologram while also not absolutely dimissing technology/internet either, admitting it to be useful tool for information and connection while also warning us about how connecting with others within it can be distorted and how information may be missued if we are not control how we use technology we all have upon our disposal, a warning not to let it take control over our lives.

It's just really reassuring to have such piece of media end on a positive note, Lain's fate seems to be she allows herself to exist to a certain extend from what I am getting from the ending.

Let's all love Lain indeed.
mySaudateAug 24, 2020 12:45 AM
Sep 2, 2020 8:46 PM

Jun 2020
It was boring but at the same time... I loved it. It's undeniably unique and avant-garde. Nothing compares to this weird and quirky masterpiece.
Sep 15, 2020 4:45 PM

May 2020
I just finished this series after hearing about it for 20 years. What a disappointment. I didn't find it especially confusing or deep. Just kind of pretentious and dumb. I guess this goes on the list of highly regarded classic anime that I don't care for along with Akira and Ghost in the Shell. It's not like I wasn't an anime fan in the 90s either but maybe I have bad taste. Around the time of Lain I was enjoying what I consider to be better anime like Ninja Scroll, Project A-Ko, and whatever cool anime movies the Sci-Fi channel would air for their Saturday anime block.

4/10 from me. Overhyped and not particularly great on the art or writing front. The animation wasn't terrible but it wasn't anything particularly good either. I'm glad it's off my bucket list at least.
Oct 1, 2020 8:33 AM

Jan 2016
Terrible. I don't think I wanna give it a 3, because there were some parts that intrigued me, but the bad parts overshadow the whole thing. Can definitely see why elitists love this anime tho.

4/10
Oct 2, 2020 4:17 PM
Sep 2015
Hmm the ending reminded me of Madoka Magica.

Lain and Madoka both disappear from everyone's memories, ascending to godhood. Beautiful.

I rate 9/10.
It was enjoyable & I disagree with users that call this anime pretentious. You think Lain is pretentious but Evangelion is deep? I don't seem to understand...
Oct 3, 2020 9:57 AM

Dec 2015
JOELbedulla said:
You think Lain is pretentious but Evangelion is deep? I don't seem to understand...

Those people usually think both are pretentious works with no depth.
Oct 4, 2020 9:34 AM
Aug 2020
that's a good ending for the anime, i liked the part where she met with her father in the sky lol.
Oct 7, 2020 9:29 PM

Oct 2015
unnecessarily tedious for what it's worth
Oct 8, 2020 12:41 AM

Jul 2016
And so, Alice actually ended up dating (and probably marrying) her teacher. Well, the guy seems... decent and if she's happy with him, so be it I guess. A reward for the amount of madness that "didn't happen" but she still had to go through.

Well, we got a somewhat bittersweet ending but honestly, it was a far "happier" one from the conclusion I was expecting. Lain ended up defeating Masami but due to the panic of seeing Alice in such traumatized state, she also decided to take the "easy" escape and reset everyone's memories in order to protect her only friend's happiness. The last scene with adult Alice sure was curious but I guess that after such heated deliberation with her more rational side and after a more relaxed talk with "her dad" (or real God himself?), Lain simply decided to deny her loneliness and embrace her God-like status. That is, in a way where she can be surrounded by the humanity she ended up loving but with the intention of avoiding any further interaction beyond that.

Overall, a truly interesting series that addresses some very intriguing topics such as God's existence; the definition of one's identity and the impact of technology in society. Unfortunately, it gets unnecessarily ambiguous for moments and I can't deny the fact that it sometimes felt like the narrative was left unclear on purpose just for the sake of confusing the viewer.
There were also some plot points and story lines that could have received more attention such as the Men in Black people; the KIDS system; the whole Protocol 7 stuff; the role of Lain's "dad"; among others but this said, SEL is from that group of series that precise an obligatory re-watch in order to have a better grasp of all the details so maybe these already mentioned plot points may become clearer once I watch the show for a second time, who knows.

7/10 - All things said, this anime sure was a ride. The dark and oppressive atmosphere was perfectly executed and the fact of this series being so ahead of its time is truly impressive. To think that being able to connect with different people without the necessity of physical closeness as well as having our own separate personas/avatars on a separate plane from our tangible world were already foreseen by a series created when internet was only giving its first steps...
SouthRzVaOct 8, 2020 11:07 AM
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» This is the first anime to truly mindf*** me

mydaddy - May 22

21 by TRVE_Levitoathan »»
May 28, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

174 by Bunker-Nines »»
May 19, 1:15 PM

» How do you feel about Serial Experiments Lain?

Je-suis-lui - May 1

9 by Zedlin »»
May 13, 11:35 AM

» Will this come over to crunchyroll?

Rockyjams909 - May 7

16 by FlavioTP126 »»
May 12, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

293 by M00ndust »»
May 8, 10:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.