Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2020 10:18 AM
Sep 2020
Watching this made me rethink how Subaru actually was more selfish than he thought he was, and had a lot of wishful thinking that only he can solve those problems. Not saying relying on your loved ones or close friends is necessarily a bad thing, but thinking only you're the one suffering the most and could only possibly be resolved on your own is a pretty selfish act. Since from his perspective, no one gets hurt when he uses "Return by Death".

Like come on, he had a lot of resources, could've relied on Otto's contacts of merchant friends or perhaps Reinhard. All I'm saying is, he chose death over the other options, blinded by his own wishful thinking that only death can pave the way to his desired future.

On another note, I don't think its a coincidence that Satella looked exactly or looks similar to Emilia. Its a possibility that Satella is Emilia's future which was indirectly caused by the use of Subaru's "Return by Death". Her personality reminds me of Emilia a lot.

Overall, rating this a 10, though I disliked they cour it here. Pretty excited for the 2nd part. >.< >.<
Sep 30, 2020 10:18 AM

Apr 2019
Don't really see why this anime is rated so highly and people say it's super psychological oh well *shrugs*

Sep 30, 2020 10:21 AM
Mar 2015
Glad Satella forced Subarau out of his whiny wailing self so that he could focus on saving himself and others Looking forward to more
Sep 30, 2020 10:21 AM

May 2020
Holy shit what a ride.

I knew Roswaal was into some deep and dark stuff but THAT was too much. I would never expect him as the main villain of this arc.

What he wants to accomplish? He surely would use the Return by Death as he pleases, and thank god he doesn’t know how to trigger it.

“Love yourself” hit harder then I was expecting. Satella is… Precious? I’m not sure how to feel towards anyone in this show anymore.

There’s so many questions unanswered. I can’t wait for January 2021.
Sep 30, 2020 10:22 AM

Oct 2016
mozgow said:
ttcchen said:
Cause as an anime-only I don't see any signs of this. I hope you're just joking.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details & Modified quote of edited post.
This has already happened at the garden tea party in the LN, but anime skipped it for some reason. It's not a real spoiler but they might add some of it to the second cour.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
I forgot this in the WN. Good thing you pointed it out.

Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:29 PM
Sep 30, 2020 10:26 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
And now the gathering is complete for now all of the witches are present within the castle of dreams. Hmm even though Subaru's explosion of rage was justified Satella's calmness in taking his anger while stopping his rage was quite a sight to see. The irony of his speech is that his deaths also cause suffering to his friends as well even if they reach the future. The little infighting between the witches as they sought to aid Subaru though was pretty interesting. To them all Subaru has made quite the impact. Subaru's thanking of all the witches for all their help sure was nice to see. The Revelation about Roswaal's true face sure was quite chilling. Overall an excellent ep that combined excellent character expansion and emotional investment via the combined power of the witches and Subaru's determination to find a new way and revelations in the form of Roswaal's ever expanding villain role. If anything Otto's punch more than shows the collective frustration that Subaru's friends feel in his lack of trust in them. Can't wait to see the next cour when it airs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2020 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
ShadowkillZ_ said:
This ep is simply mystical...

This ep marks the first time that Satella and Subaru had a somewhat proper chat together, much more so compared to their previous chat when Satella had just swallowed the Sanctuary along with its residents. Well, I figure Satella came there to talk to Subaru, after all, she should know that the other witches don't welcome her (although that's only really true for Echidna and not so much for the other 5 witches). Despite knowing this, I actually didn't think that Satella would be here to 'cheer Subaru on' telling him to love himself and save himself.

Damn, I hate how Subaru is pretty much up against all the witches in some way. Especially when they talk down on him and try to patronize him.

Roswaal was the guy who sent the assassin to the mansion all of this to make Subaru grow his resolve to choose one over the other. And Roswaal said that he know Echidna? Psssh... Bitch please, a person who knows Echidna knows her greed and in return should be as greedy as she is. Just like how Subaru wanted to save everyone and everything. Once insane, always insane.

Well, this has been great fun to watch, unfortunately, it's been split into 2 separate parts even though it's still the same season (S2).
Still, a phenomenal watch. In the meantime, I might just start reading the LN.

Hold on there. I remember seeing the part
in the web novel, but I am sure it wasn't shown in this episode. Maybe I wasn't paying attention? Pls tell me at what minute it was mentioned because it really flew over my head.

Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:31 PM
Sep 30, 2020 10:32 AM
Sep 2018
PendragonX1 said:

My question is how did he actually kill himself here their nothing that he did before to prepare to do it and it suddenly happens. I am assuming he did something in the LN but here he literally falls to the ground dead and IDK why.

Yeah in the novel it was stated that he bit off his tongue
Sep 30, 2020 10:33 AM

Apr 2020
O_Wolfs said:

Hold on there. I remember seeing the part
in the web novel, but I am sure it wasn't shown in this episode. Maybe I wasn't paying attention? Pls tell me at what minute it was mentioned because it really flew over my head.

It doesn't, I felt the same as you. Or you already know this by the source material or you just "guess" due to her love/hate complex.

Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:32 PM
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Sep 2018
Pretty good episode i guess, but they really really really shouldn't have skipped the first part of the scene where Satella shows up.
Why would they skip that

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
Koito91Sep 30, 2020 1:33 PM

May 2018
Really got annoyed with Subaru's attitude. Otto's punch is so satisfying. Minerva best witch after Echidna.
Sep 30, 2020 10:34 AM
Apr 2012
I liked that they called out Subaru for being whiny.

Still love Minerva, I like that it was called out that death wasn't the only option.
The guy has so many options and resources to use. I just like this anime so much. But in my opinion, it is kinda force on him, he can't tell people his power, so he normally used to relying on himself.
The only answer I have is Emilia is Satella, with the "You saved me countless times". I find it a bit weird that Subaru didn't ask her what she meant by "You saved me".
I don't know why, but when he said "I swear, I'll save you". I got shivers. It's exactly what I want to hear from the guy.
Roswaal dropping the accent was interesting, what was that about? This anime is very good.
10/10
Extremely excited for next season. I will be buying on blue-ray as well.
Sep 30, 2020 10:34 AM

Nov 2015
Oh my god and now we have to wait for the other half oh well, at least it didn't end on a major cliffhanger!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2020 10:35 AM

Jul 2014
Isekai Groundhog Day gets worse with every episode. :(

Whaaa, I only have a super power. Shut up Shinji, go back to Crapvangelion.

The witches are all retardedly ridiculous characters.

This show has gotten so absurdly stupid.
SokahSep 30, 2020 10:40 AM
Sep 30, 2020 10:38 AM

Jun 2015
Well I always knew Roswald was a shady muthafucker but he surpassed shady by leaps and bounds this episode! I have nothing left to give other than much anticipation for the next series!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 30, 2020 10:39 AM

May 2018
400 years ago, what cause Roswaal to become like this? Echidna?
Sep 30, 2020 10:44 AM

Apr 2020
So Satella gave Subaru Return by Death so he can one day free/kill/save her? The confrontation between the witches was interesting. I was always thought Satella was the antagonist so it was strange seeing her tell Subaru to love himself more and to think about how others feel when he dies.

Also, when Roswaal admitted he sent the assassins I had a feeling it was to sharpen/strengthen Subaru's will. It'll be interesting to see how Subaru tries to save both the Sanctuary and the mansion in the next cour.

Otto with the falcon punch though!
Sep 30, 2020 10:48 AM

Jun 2016
OTTTOOO you are the man!!!!
I always figured Roswall was screwy in the head, but holy guacamole he is just as bad as Petelgeuse. Maybe even worse!!!!
Sep 30, 2020 10:48 AM

Jan 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this cour for the Re:Zero 2nd Season and it was worth the 4 year wait! It's interesting that the break time short hinted at what Roswaal revealed in the episode today. It'll be fun to think about how the events in the next cour is going to unfold while we wait for Winter 2021.
Sep 30, 2020 10:49 AM
Apr 2017
Tappei avoided talking about the skipped dialogue from Satella on twitter, so source material readers, you better avoid talking about it unless it's tagged, because if he did that, it's because it's relevant in the future.

He usually talks about the things the anime will never show, if he avoided doing it, it's because it will be revealed later.
Sep 30, 2020 10:49 AM

Oct 2014
I love this series so much. I actually read the novel up to the stuff with Satella at the start of this episode so I'd been waiting for this moment where I'd see what happened right after Subaru's rendezvous with the seven witches for ages. Man it was worth the wait. Everything from the comedy, to the character exploration/development, the mystery, the world building, the symbolism as well as the additional factors of the anime like smooth animation and an incredible sound track make this series one of my absolute favourites.

I want the second cour to come right now!! During the first season and even this season where I knew everything that was going to happen I've never looked forward to a weekly series as much as I have Re:zero. Whether that be anime, peak game of thrones or even anything else. The enjoyment and entertainment I get from this series is just on another level entirely.

The only complaint I have is not enough Felix and that Subaru keeps thinking of Rem and Emilia but forgetting best boy >.< We better get more Felix soon ^_^

btw hope Otto is now loved by the anime community as much as I loved him while reading the novel. He's such a great guy c':
Sep 30, 2020 10:50 AM

May 2012
THIS IS THE EPISODE I NEEDED IT! WITCH HAREM FOR THE WIN!

Holy shit, this has to be one of my favorite episodes. I wanted to know more about the witches and now we have all seven of them in on place. I finally know now, that I don't know shit. Like man all the witches are just not normal. They're not just pure evil, but they're certainly far from good. What are they, who are they? I can't wait to find out more about them.

Subaru is going through it. He realize that people do mourn his death. They his friends are sad when he dies. That he's not a tool that needs to die for others to have a better future. What he needs and what Satella wants, is him to have a future with them. Subaru needs someone to love him, like Rem, but also he needs to love him self. Damn, that was a great moment. Love how Echidna really is upset about Subaru not taking her offer. Didn't think she go so far to take away his permission. Guess she is spiteful lol.

So... is Satella Emilia, or is Emilia Satella, or are they one in the same. Is Emilia the body, and Satella the soul? So many questions.

Roswaal that asshole. I knew it was him, but couldn't prove it. I thought it was some logical reason to have the damn mansion attack, but no he just crazy as hell. I wonder who he met 400 years ago to make him go bat shit. Maybe he was always bat shit and the person resolved it. Just when I think Subaru has found away out of this mess it keeps getting worse and worse.

This was a great part 1. Alone its really good, but definitely feels like it's missing another 12 episodes lol. Super hype for part 2!

9/10
Sep 30, 2020 10:53 AM

Jul 2014
foxyahoo said:
Tappei avoided talking about the skipped dialogue from Satella on twitter, so source material readers, you better avoid talking about it unless it's tagged, because if he did that, it's because it's relevant in the future.

He usually talks about the things the anime will never show, if he avoided doing it, it's because it will be revealed later.
I've added a spoiler tag to every mention of that in my posts, but now I wonder how will they handle this in the anime.
Sep 30, 2020 11:04 AM
May 2019
The episode was good, I liked the fact that we finally got to see some of Satella's intentions.
I think Roswaal being the one behind the attack at the mansion was kind of obvious.

Still, I think this would be ok as a mid season episode, but considering this is the end of the first part, I think it was kind of lame, I expected it to end on a cliffhanger or something a bit more intense.
Sep 30, 2020 11:08 AM
Feb 2020
[quote=-ShadowClaw- message=60820259]OH MY GOD

This was as close as to perfect as it can probably get, White Fox you are a god tier studio in adapting this, fuck anyone who says otherwise, was there a bit skipped or cut? people is an adaptation not everything can be 100% truly adapted but this is close as you can get and it was done well in spades. Even more impressive when the crew behind this did it at home due to Covid.

BUT now i feel empty cause we have to wait another 3 months and that is when it truly gets into god tier level of story telling. Fuck i wonder if this how people on rehab feel cause i dying knowing there is no more re:zero fix for another 3 months.

I get the reason why and its understandable but it still does not make it less unbearable. >....<

PLS support this as much as you can, buy the books, buy the anime, buy the merch, we got to show our love for it.

Infinity/10 bring it :D[/quote
ramy22 said:
I did not like that they deleted so many scenes. For example, Satila told Subaru that she loved him because he saved her and that he stayed by her side and kissed her. This is an important dialogue, I do not understand why they deleted it. And Emilia's scenes are mostly deleted. I think the studio is in Reem team
satella did say that(except for the kissing and staying beside her) what scenes of emilia were skipped?
Sep 30, 2020 11:08 AM

Feb 2014
I really feel like some people here don't even watch the episode but just rush to make a comment.
Like this thing they said:

Anyway I liked that first cour. Can't wait for the second part.
Sep 30, 2020 11:10 AM
Aug 2015
This episode was good
Definitely not the best,some interesting ideas and moral principles but overall not much lore or new information like the previous episodes.
I loved seeing satella..she seems super sad tho..can't wait to know her story (it's gonna take the whole series I guess)
I don't know if I'm just imagining things because my memory sucks.......
But in the first episode emilia tells Subaru that her name is satella..and when he called her again after return by death she tells him to not call her that...was the first episode and the one after it really after eachother? There is a missing peace there..and that's really something.
This season was really good,
Because of interpretations of lore and new characters ,I liked it a bit more than the first! And now we wait till January yay
Sep 30, 2020 11:10 AM
May 2019
Can someone explain what the deal with Roswaal is? Maybe I missed a detail or two and I need to rewatch some of the scenes where he talks with Subaru, but I don't understand his intentions at all. Maybe I'm not supposed to yet, or is he just evil for the sake of being evil?
Sep 30, 2020 11:12 AM
Feb 2020
RoryBurrows said:
They introduced way too much this season, I'm sort of lost. How did Subaru save Satella?
even subaru doesnt know that lmao
Sep 30, 2020 11:13 AM
May 2019
Great episode! Now I'm really hyped to see what happens next.

If I want to continue on in the story, Where and how do I begin? (I'm too impatient :P )
Sep 30, 2020 11:14 AM
May 2019
Cant wait for the second part. 10/10

Jul 2013
Didn't expect the Witches to actually save Subaru (some of them, at least). Sure, they did for their own goals, but it was still a sweet gesture coming from characters with so bad fame.
Also, what's the deal with Satella? From what I got from the episode, she seeks death, and is using Subaru for that motive, and her personality doesn't seems like the murderous force of nature from previous episodes. I want to know more about her, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The Roswaal reveal that he contracted Elsa and Meyli to attack the mansion was chilling, but not that surprising if you remember how he murdered Ram and Garfiel in cold blood some episodes ago. The dude is so obssessed with achieving whatever goal he has that he's willing to cross every boundary in order to mold Subaru into his liking. Koyasu's voice acting was brilliant as always.

Otto is a serious candidate for bro of the year. Subaru was so lucky of befriending someone as great as him. Patrasche also best girl.

And so it ends. Bye, bye for now, Re: Zero, this half of the second season was good and better than the first season so far (which I also liked), hopefully the second half also delivers. See you back in January ;)

Jun 2014
This season has been quite the wild ride, topped off by that intense conversation between Roswaal and Subaru. Lol it was nice of Otto to punch the fuck out of Subaru to try and snap him back into reality.

Another solid season of Re:zero in the books, it's a shame we have to wait for the rest when this probably would have run for 2 consecutive cours if it wasn't for the whole COVID shit. Oh well, looking forward to the rest of it in January.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 30, 2020 11:20 AM

Jul 2014
MuraragiKoyomi said:
what scenes of emilia were skipped?
The night talk when Subaru meet her wandering.

nickelzzzz said:
Can someone explain what the deal with Roswaal is? Maybe I missed a detail or two and I need to rewatch some of the scenes where he talks with Subaru, but I don't understand his intentions at all. Maybe I'm not supposed to yet, or is he just evil for the sake of being evil?
Roswaal wants Subaru to became the same as he - to sacrifice everything for one goal. You're not supposed to know (yet) what Roswaal goal is. For Subaru it should be Emilia.
Sep 30, 2020 11:22 AM

Sep 2007
I feel ripped off.
That didn't solve a thing besides finally finding out what's-his-face ordered the attack on the mansion because he wanted to "perfect Natsuki"

And now no idea when this stuff will continue again cuz CoVid screwing up the timing of everything. Like seriously, I see people saying this is going to continue in Jan but I would be surprised if this wasn't delayed.

And jeez Natsuki I know dying multiple times is painful but did season 1 not teach you anything?
Everything you experience is a clue.... I've yet to see him try out that "passphrase" on Beatrice for one.
And then Echidna gave a clue about getting Garfield out of the Sanctuary...though that's harder than it sounds...Hmmm....

It's a like an Escape puzzle but we can't see the solution till 3-4 months later... RIP memory...and RIP my hair till I pull it all out in frustration or forget about this anime --whatever comes first

PS: Otto is strangely...liking Natsuki the more the loop gets repeated....I'm finding this strangely suspicious for some reason...
IkanoSep 30, 2020 11:26 AM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Sep 30, 2020 11:22 AM
Apr 2018
They ended the season quite well.
"I Love You."
"Why are you not Insane, SUBARU-kun?"
"Yes. First, take a deep Breath...." :)

1. PATRASCHE joins the "SUBARU-Harem".
2. That conversation between ROSWAAL & SUBARU.....
3. I am now curious about SATELLA even more ; Is she truly behind what's happening with SUBARU in the isekai? What's her intention?

SUBARU was the focused character in this season ; well of course he's the protagonist. The next season might be more about EMILIA & SUBARU actually clearing the Trial ; i don't know!

Things might get clear about SATELLA in the next season. 3 months to go..

Either way, gonna start reading the LN soon.

Thank You :)
Sep 30, 2020 11:23 AM

Sep 2017
damn i really like Satella, even though she just like Emilia v.2

all the witches actually care for Subaru tho, such a heartwarming scene

the whole scene with Roswall was crazy, no wonder Subaru goes insane after hear what Roswall said

finger cross for part 2, i hope for more Satella in the next part
Sep 30, 2020 11:23 AM
Feb 2020
_f said:
Don't really see why this anime is rated so highly and people say it's super psychological oh well *shrugs*
people saying its psychological
Sep 30, 2020 11:24 AM
Feb 2020
mozgow said:
MuraragiKoyomi said:
what scenes of emilia were skipped?

nickelzzzz said:
Roswaal wants Subaru to became the same as he - to sacrifice everything for one goal. You're not supposed to know (yet) what Roswaal goal is. For Subaru it should be Emilia.
that scene was already shown in an earlier episode
Sep 30, 2020 11:26 AM

Jun 2015
Seeing Subaru suffering was a beautiful sight to see. It was very satisfying. Can't wait to see him suffer even more. 6/10
Sep 30, 2020 11:26 AM

Jul 2014
MuraragiKoyomi said:
mozgow said:

But it happened again in the LN. After the talk with Roswaal.
Sep 30, 2020 11:28 AM
May 2019
Lemark said:
But in the first episode emilia tells Subaru that her name is satella..and when he called her again after return by death she tells him to not call her that...was the first episode and the one after it really after eachother?

Always thought it was just because she didn't trust him enough to tell her real name.
After he returns by death, he didn't asked for her name, he just casually called her Satella, that's why she got mad.
Sep 30, 2020 11:29 AM
Feb 2020
mozgow said:
MuraragiKoyomi said:
But it happened again in the LN. After the talk with Roswaal.
what do they talk about?
also does satella hide her face so that subaru doesnt get scared when he sees emilia again
Sep 30, 2020 11:31 AM

May 2018
Wowee, so it was Roswaal the whole time! And all the witches are all based
Sep 30, 2020 11:37 AM
Apr 2019
PendragonX1 said:
The episode starts with Subaru breaking into a million pieces again as usual at this point.

My question is how did he actually kill himself here their nothing that he did before to prepare to do it and it suddenly happens. I am assuming he did something in the LN but here he literally falls to the ground dead and IDK why.

He bit off his tongue. That’s a pretty common way to kill yourself in fiction, dunno about real life though
Sep 30, 2020 11:38 AM

Jul 2014
MuraragiKoyomi said:
what do they talk about?
It's quite long but the highlight is that Subaru is shocked after the talk with Roswaal, so Emilia hugs him to help him calm down. Then Subaru says that he wants to do something so Emilia would not have to take the trials, because he does not want her to suffer. Emilia answers that she decided by herself to do the trails and that she is determined to pass them.

MuraragiKoyomi said:
also does satella hide her face so that subaru doesnt get scared when he sees emilia again
It wasn't stated in the LN either but I think he does not see Satella as an enemy right now.
Sep 30, 2020 11:39 AM

Nov 2011
Roswall is the biggest piece of shit in the series so far. More then Echidna, more then Satella, more then anyone. Even the assassins. THEY'RE JUST DOING THEIR JOBS! Roswall is GARBAGE!!!

Echidna being spiteful taking Subaru's qualifications away from him. I love it lol.

Satella being actually fucking adorable. When Subaru approached Satella and told her he didn't understand her as she had tears in her eyes. God damn what a scene. AND HE PROMISED TO SAVE HER!!!! God damn this was a great episode.

Sucks the 2nd cour will now be in Winter 2021. =(

10/10
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 30, 2020 11:47 AM

Jul 2015
I predicted Roswaal was the one forcing the checkmate situation.

Roswaal is pretty obvious here. He wants Subaru to make the pact with Echidna to bring the perfect future. I'm not sure if Subaru can do anything against his will.

Sep 30, 2020 11:53 AM
Jul 2020
So much mystery *Insert mystery noises here* Can't wait for the next part, this season was really well made with the characters & how the plot went 9/10
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 29, 2020

673 by RealMario7 »»
May 25, 1:32 AM

» Emilia chest size increase

MuscularBlackMan - Jul 23, 2020

13 by RaptorDan »»
May 9, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 25, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.