Forum Settings
Forums

Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 8, 2017 12:20 PM

Feb 2015
It's not that they "aren't developed all the way." They just didn't kiss or have a stereotypical "happily ever after" ending. Why does romance has to follow a generic pattern like that to be considered satisfying? It's more complex of a relationship than that, the film presents an ending that suggests that the characters' lives will go on past the film, because the real world doesn't always have neat and tidy endings. Especially when the humans just happened to kill the guardian of the forest. "But that's no big deal, the plants grew back so we're cool." And no, that doesn't mean an ending that doesn't follow the stereotypical formula can't be satisfying. Clearly you don't want that out of a film, but I'd hardly consider it "not developing the romance all the way." Especially when we're clearly told that they love each other and will stay by each other's side. Also, the last part of your comment is a bit irrelevant. Everyone has different favorites based on their subjective criteria for what makes something great, but we weren't talking about those other works, regardless.
JoshimatsooJan 8, 2017 12:40 PM
Jan 8, 2017 12:33 PM

Dec 2015
symbv said:
the scene when the prince chops off the arms of some soldiers is enough to make it not for kids.

The movie is certainly not limiting itself to a children audience. But this kind of argument wasn't valid in Japan until recently. Back then, they were considering "violence", death etc were things children had to "learn" (opposed to the way the USAs and some european countries view it: something that should be kept hidden from children during a supposed innocence period in order to preserve them). Of course, they kind of aligned with us since then. -_-
Jan 8, 2017 12:35 PM

Nov 2014
@AnimEva
I think america is the only place that puts children into a censor bubble.
I watched it in russia just fine when i was 8 years old.

Nov 3, 2017 4:51 PM

Oct 2017
Sure you are the ONLY ONE in the world who thinks this is overrated...
Nov 20, 2017 6:28 AM

Feb 2014
It's a shame that
LOL
Jul 20, 2019 1:31 PM
Nov 2015
It is Ghibli best movie and has some of the most complex characters especially the villain and themes ive seen in an anime movie.
Aug 2, 2019 9:39 AM

Jul 2013
Out of 6 billion people in the world, I'm sure you're the only one.
Sep 16, 2019 8:44 PM

Mar 2016
So far the best Miyazaki movie I've seen thus far.
Usually is movies aren't naive and the writers understood that very well but this movie applies everything pretty much perfectly. There's always a cause and effect. It's a closed story and while I wasn't a big fan of the giant monster at the end the ending itself between Mononoke and Ashikata is perfect for the story in question. There's no such thing as a perfect solution and I admire that they went that route.
Sep 25, 2019 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
PewDiePie also thinks so, he talked about Mononoke series to be one of his liking and said if you are not a real anime fan from what i recall in one of his videos. He gave Mononoke Hime a 6 on his MAL Account . With his mean score about 8. It's clear that he didn't find Mononoke Hime to be a great anime. If you click the stats section on the anime page and see the score polling bar, there are also thousand commoners that think the same as you.
Jan 14, 2020 4:47 PM
Jan 2017
myusername said:
The only thing I found that was seemingly displeasing was the flimsiness of the ending.

"hey i like u and all but i gotta stay with my wolf buddies"
"k, ill come visit u some time"
"kay"

The End.

Same. Basically throws the entire story of the movie out of the window. It is a fitting end for the romance, but not a fitting end for the development of San and Ashitaka's backstory.
Jan 16, 2020 1:58 AM
Feb 2019
Honestly, my main issue with the movie is that its premise and themes don't really go anywhere beyond just being 'shown'. Sure, there is conflict between the two sides, loss occurs on both sides, something changes, but that's it. I'm not saying that something else should happen in most cases, just that it was needed in this film. The movie was rushed, nothing really developed beyond surface level and just explanations of the situation and due to this, it's hard to really suck in the significance of what's at stake and what's going on and as such, get emotional enjoyment from the film. If you try really hard, of course you could find some stuff that was significant, like environment, nature, humanity's lust for destruction. It's not really told well in the film though, it's more inferential. So looking straight into the surface material for the first time, with average eyes, you don't really feel anything significant beyond what's put out there, which is rushed and lacking necessary development.

This type of premise would've been great for a TV series, where we could actually have time to understand the characters and comprehend the significance of the situation at hand, and obviously this would lead to more enjoyment for this plot and premise. But obviously, this was not an option for Ghibli.

Don't flame the hell out of me, but from what I recall, this could be said the exact same as Spirited Away. maybe it's just been a while, but the way the story managed to be told in such a poignant and impactful manner with empathy, turned the 'lacking' plot and characters more realistic, human and emotional.

HeyTahtsIllegalJan 20, 2020 3:13 AM
Oct 12, 2020 12:56 PM

Aug 2016
avatar did it better, and avatar is mediocre
MichaelJacksonOct 12, 2020 9:18 PM
:v
Aug 7, 2021 9:56 AM
Dec 2020
Joshimatsoo said:
Ligkonakos said:
Great movie, but people definitely praise it more than they should because Ghilbi.

Um, no. They praise it because they think it's a damn good movie, as do I, believing it to be one of the finest achievements of cinema. "Because Ghibli" has nothing to do with it, especially considering I had no idea what the hell Ghibli even was the first time I saw it.

Most of the complaints I've heard in his thread are either explainable due to the person apparently not paying any attention at all to the film or just having a naive and childish mindset. Especially regarding the ending. It wasn't just some "hur durr, I luv u but I can't date u sorry/k itz cul" teenage bullshit, we're talking about a girl who was raised as a wolf and seen firsthand the power of hatred and destruction humans are capable of. I think it's reasonable to not just forget all that because you happened to like a single human romantically. Oh, but I suppose seeing the two leads make out and live together is a better "happily ever after" traditional ending than something that's actually realistic.

You should be such an idiot to assume people are naive because they didn't like this overrated movie.
Aug 19, 2021 10:28 PM
Aug 2020
I get why people won't like these kind of movies just before watching this I was the same, thought that Ghibli is just a studio that loves making characters with weird designs and less focus on the story and characters.
But now after watching Mononoke hime which is my second Ghibli movie after spirited away I understand that Ghibli and Miyazaki's works are best described as an experience.
This movie was one of the most magical, charming and just wholesome and lovable anime experience I have had.
I have no idea how to express this but if anyone likes a light-hearted watch than Mononoke is amazing.
Watched it in dub and tbh it didn't feel like anime at the start but who cares it was a genuinely healing experience
Dec 31, 2021 3:49 PM
Feb 2021
Baakka1602 said:
I get why people won't like these kind of movies just before watching this I was the same, thought that Ghibli is just a studio that loves making characters with weird designs and less focus on the story and characters.
But now after watching Mononoke hime which is my second Ghibli movie after spirited away I understand that Ghibli and Miyazaki's works are best described as an experience.
This movie was one of the most magical, charming and just wholesome and lovable anime experience I have had.
I have no idea how to express this but if anyone likes a light-hearted watch than Mononoke is amazing.
Watched it in dub and tbh it didn't feel like anime at the start but who cares it was a genuinely healing experience
you are describing spirited away Lmao,mononoke Is not even that,It Is Just pretensious and boring
Feb 12, 2022 7:08 PM

Mar 2021
EmperorDemonGava said:
I thought it was kinda mediocre.

ur probably inactive since ur post was made about 10 yrs ago, but i want to share my opinion. the reason u probably think that it's mediocre is because u didn't understand the story. this movie is studio ghibli's most sophisticated and complicated movies teaching about the consequences of colonialization and imperialism.
boccho is love, boccho is life
Mar 21, 2022 2:02 PM

Dec 2020
HeyTahtsIllegal said:
Honestly, my main issue with the movie is that its premise and themes don't really go anywhere beyond just being 'shown'. Sure, there is conflict between the two sides, loss occurs on both sides, something changes, but that's it. I'm not saying that something else should happen in most cases, just that it was needed in this film. The movie was rushed, nothing really developed beyond surface level and just explanations of the situation and due to this, it's hard to really suck in the significance of what's at stake and what's going on and as such, get emotional enjoyment from the film. If you try really hard, of course you could find some stuff that was significant, like environment, nature, humanity's lust for destruction. It's not really told well in the film though, it's more inferential. So looking straight into the surface material for the first time, with average eyes, you don't really feel anything significant beyond what's put out there, which is rushed and lacking necessary development.

This type of premise would've been great for a TV series, where we could actually have time to understand the characters and comprehend the significance of the situation at hand, and obviously this would lead to more enjoyment for this plot and premise. But obviously, this was not an option for Ghibli.

Don't flame the hell out of me, but from what I recall, this could be said the exact same as Spirited Away. maybe it's just been a while, but the way the story managed to be told in such a poignant and impactful manner with empathy, turned the 'lacking' plot and characters more realistic, human and emotional.

There's no upvote button so I'll just quote you. Couldn't have said any better. Started out pretty good but the lacking-ness can be seen by the forest part and then it just becomes predictable and nothing special (for me).
Mar 29, 2022 12:41 AM

Feb 2019
Man, people are really passionate about this movie. Or were anyway, yeah tho it was just fine. I hate to say this about a ghibli movie but I was kinda struggling to get through it.

The messages didn't really hit or get across well, the character motivations and actions were sorta nonsensical and not explained well? Action was for the most part, unexciting somehow, I think maybe because the violence was pretty... unrealistic... which hurts to say about Ghibli considering they usually have weight and shit down pat but things felt floaty and "jelly-like" at times here.
TeirayoMar 29, 2022 12:48 AM
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Mar 30, 2022 3:34 PM
Jul 2019
i think its good but not that good. Not as deep as i remembered but good hero's story and its self-serious tone gives it a novelty over other ghibli films.

Apr 30, 2022 10:55 AM
Feb 2021
i hated it too, it's taken me a few months to get through it
Apr 30, 2022 10:57 AM
Apr 2022
It was a weird movie, I fell asleep in the middle of it, it was just a garbage piece of shit.
Jul 23, 2022 8:33 AM
May 2022
I hated the Dear God. Totally ruined the entire plot. He got up and was like, "Oh, so the humans and lesser Gods are fighting? Well, screw you all. I am gonna nuke you and choose which ones live because I can do that." I wanted a war between humans and Gods, but there wasn't a war. Just a nuke. 7/10 instead of 9 just for that stupid ending
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Aug 4, 2022 1:06 PM
Jun 2022
I think its fine I rated it 6/10 but if the anime that i watched won't reach 8/10 that means its fine or I don't like it.
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM

Dec 2020
EmperorDemonGava said:
I thought it was kinda mediocre.
Yeah me here . Trying to watch movies of the so called Masterpiece maker Studio Ghibli and completed Mononoke Hime too . The start seemed great but the rest of the movie it felt like how tf does this even happen

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

40 by Feitan_exe »»
May 3, 10:21 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Hime Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Metty - Feb 4, 2008

209 by Kilo_2K4 »»
Mar 31, 8:11 PM

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

Poll: » This movie, mononoke hime or nausicaa valley of the wind

Hime03 - Apr 7, 2019

9 by rafasc33 »»
Nov 27, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.