Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2011 12:36 PM
Sep 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
very nice ending... too bad i wasn't able to see who NIGG is...

loving everything in this anime... even the antagonists are lovable...

=)
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/jcyui&sclick=1">

~Yui~

black_faerie

Feb 28, 2012 7:42 AM

Jul 2009
Great ending to a really good OVA. It's a shame I'll have to wait ages to see Ging if I start watching the anime remake now, or I could just read the manga from here.
Mar 9, 2012 2:17 AM

Feb 2012
I am so going to read the manga now >.< I wanna know what happens next!
Mar 23, 2012 2:11 PM
Aug 2011
Zell182 said:
Great ending to a really good OVA. It's a shame I'll have to wait ages to see Ging if I start watching the anime remake now, or I could just read the manga from here.

Don't worry, about 60 more episode to go, so a little over a year...
Apr 11, 2012 4:23 AM

Apr 2012
W-why does it end there? D:< It was a good ending, but I feel cheated. XD;; I'm definitely gonna watch the remake though, and I'll read the manga eventually.

Woowwwww it's actually over... ;w;
Apr 13, 2012 8:49 PM

Oct 2011
ugh now i have to read the manga !(TT_TT its soo good!)
May 24, 2012 5:43 AM

Jan 2012
I wonder how far will the remake go
Jul 15, 2012 10:32 PM

Mar 2009
The lack of Leorio and Kurapika was disappointing, but this was a good arc overall. Now that I've finished the older series I guess it's time to catch up with the new one. Unfortunately, it's going to be some time until the series reaches this point. I'm curious to see what happens next and whether or not that's Ging.

Anyway, great shonen. I can understand why it's so popular.
Oct 28, 2012 2:20 PM
Aug 2010
Only thing that made me curious was what happened to Gon's fishing rod? Please, tell me D:
Aug 26, 2014 3:49 PM

Dec 2012
I'm really glad I watched the remake before this because that cliffhanger would've been too much for me. When it showed "Nigg" fishing emotions started to pour in as I recalled where the adventure goes next.

This was a much needed rewatch of Greed Island and I was able to appreciate it a bit more this time around. I think that not only is the game world itself interesting, but way Nen factored into it was well thought out and very creative.

8/10, although it's one of my lower scoring arcs in HxH it just goes to show how solid this show is to me as a whole.
Jan 16, 2015 9:05 PM

Jan 2010

No way. Dwun looks like a scribble even in the anime.

Anyways, as of now, Hunter x Hunter definitely ranks as one of the better shounens I've watched, if just by how it plays out. I liked how the main characters are pretty weak compared to the other characters in the show. It forces them to not just powerlevel, but strategist and understand both themselves and their opponents. It plans stuff out, it's violent without being senseless, and death is treated as something natural, rather than something overly dramatic.

So yeah, the hype was real. I'm not gonna watch the newer version for a while though, since this version is still fresh in my mind.
Jan 16, 2015 9:38 PM

Jun 2009
Shocked said:

So yeah, the hype was real. I'm not gonna watch the newer version for a while though, since this version is still fresh in my mind.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea. The music, voice acting, and visuals are pretty much completely different in the Madhouse version so, even if you decided to just continue on from here into the Chimera Ant arc it would be a very awkward and maybe not entirely enjoyable transition to make. I think it's much better to just start that one from the beginning, with a fresh mind set if possible.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 23, 2015 2:23 AM
Jul 2018
Kaito at the end almost brought me to tears.
Dec 20, 2016 1:08 AM

May 2009
Oh god the cliffhanger! Gotta watch the remake now
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Apr 12, 2017 11:07 AM

May 2008
The idea of this island and how it uses Nen is definitely different, especially when you consider how "stuck-in-a-video-game" is/was all the rage these past few years.

But, both this and the first half GI OVAs have a tendency to add things or people without explaining or showing how or why. Then the explanations tend to be too confusing leaving you wondering if you didn't understand something or if it was a contradiction.

For instance, I thought you were stuck on the island if you didn't have a ring hence why people ended up living there. Yet the Spiders, who stole the system, all had rings that enabled them to leave? Why is there a Leave card that lets you leave? Do the only ones who have rings the ones hired by Barreta? If so, why can't others steal the card and ring and leave? I highly doubt they cared about their save data. No one tried to leave the island before the Spiders? How much is real and how much is programmed?

Or what about the fact over time the rest of the Spiders just ended up on the island? How? Why? It's not like they served any purpose considering they didn't do anything.

The OVAs never bother to properly answer these questions and it all ends up being very convenient for the plot: when Elf Bodyguard-tachi had to Leave to escape and waste time for Bomber-tachi, for Killua, or to set up the Spiders' next move. Plus, the animation drops sharply to low budget TV series' animation; the last few OVAs were done by the same guy who did the low budget animation for Gash Bell. This something that shouldn't happen in an OVA! Not to mention it looks terrible.

The fights were good, though. I also enjoyed the training segments and Bisuke who is, hands down, the best female character and one of best characters in the entirety of HxH. I would be much more interested in her story than any of the Spiders. Too bad they had to remove her from the story due to being too OP. I wish Greed Island wasn't just another training arc and was explored more. It's a lot more interesting than Yorkshin. 7 for 1st half; 8 for the 2nd.
SakariiApr 12, 2017 11:20 AM
Jun 8, 2017 7:46 PM

May 2012
Very interesting way to end this series to be honest, the conclusion of this arc was fantastic and while we did not actually get to see any interaction with Gon's father it was still one hell of a great journey I must say!

All in all I had a great watch with this first adaptation of Hunter x Hunter, I do really wonder what the 2011 version has to offer, but that will be for next year!
Dec 7, 2017 6:55 AM

Mar 2016
That is a beautiful ending... Though their reunion is cut short at only about 30 seconds +/- It was pretty conclusive. I am not mad at the fact that the ending is not really SOLID. I agree that it's not a solid ending because well... THERE IS THE 2011 VERSION!!!

Well then... HxH 1999 was great! Now time to watch everything again from ep 1 - In HxH 2011! (HxH Greed Island Final OVA > HxH 2011)

Time to see how much better HxH can be...
Dec 18, 2017 10:03 AM

Aug 2013
It's pretty obvious who "Nigg"(A bit funnier in English, then I think Togashi intended) is. The hat's a pretty big giveaway, but either way onward to the manga.
Nov 17, 2018 4:45 AM

Apr 2013
Tbh I did not like this arc, even worse than the Hunter exam arc. The Phantom Troupe and Hisoka only played a very minor role, which left the antagonist as a randomy guy who just happens to be strong with no interesting story to tell either. Also all those cards were a bit too convenient and Ging must be a god being able to create stuff that works in the real world like this.

I'll take a break from HxH for now to forget about a lot of details again and then watch the 2011 remake as well at some point. There is a lot of room for improvement after watching the 1999 version, so I won't judge HxH overall for now.
Feb 15, 2020 10:40 AM
May 2019
A great ending to a great adaptation. Watching this was definitely a ride, to say the least. Now I will just need to get around to watching the remake.
Apr 15, 2020 1:12 PM
Apr 2020
Guys help me please or im gonna die without listening to it please give me the background music when bisky talks to gon and killua that sad background please guys 😢💔💔💔
Aug 16, 2021 11:04 PM

Oct 2019
A shame the classic ends here, I ended up liking it more when I was watching the 2 during the hunter exam, which made me like the classic more...
But that's ok, let's go for the remake now.
Oct 25, 2022 10:23 AM
Jul 2022
I actually like the ending here much better than in the original. It is vague and you can decide for yourself if Gon actually met his father and what they are going to talk about.
Oct 31, 2022 4:31 PM
Oct 2022
rf55555555555555555555555555555555

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final Episode 2 Discussion

Antanaru - May 30, 2009

17 by Cammell »»
May 15, 2:48 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final Episode 8 Discussion

supermegasonic - Sep 1, 2011

10 by Atlas77 »»
Sep 9, 2022 11:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final Episode 7 Discussion

13 by Atlas77 »»
Sep 9, 2022 11:00 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final Episode 6 Discussion

8 by Atlas77 »»
Sep 9, 2022 12:17 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final Episode 5 Discussion

Antanaru - Jun 2, 2009

17 by Atlas77 »»
Sep 8, 2022 11:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.