Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2010 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Its good that people sometimes die in this anime but i think they are killing a bit to many... didnt want the dog controlling man to die.
Dec 22, 2010 9:29 AM

May 2010
it was cool :D
Aug 26, 2011 3:57 PM

Jul 2010
that 5 minutes will probably take half the episode. hopefully thats not the case.
but damn this is getting tense.

Nov 8, 2011 8:47 PM

Mar 2009
Damn. That sucks. Gruesome end for the guy too. When it comes to episodes like this, I sometimes forget that Hunter x Hunter is a shonen, and not a seinen. O_O
Dec 6, 2011 4:11 PM

Jul 2009
I didn't expect that guy to get decapitated, that was pretty brutal for a shounen.
Mar 16, 2012 1:10 PM
May 2007
Ah, the thriller ♥
Mar 24, 2012 11:42 PM

Oct 2011
poor black guy :( ,lol @ leorio
Aug 13, 2012 4:30 AM

Feb 2009
Im enjoying the tension so far, but the pacing... not so much, I want the mains to do something already.
Sep 27, 2013 12:35 AM

Sep 2009
I was kinda hoping that black Sensui wasn't going to die... oh well.

(Just try and tell me that Squala isn't just Shinobu Sensui with a recolour).
Aug 1, 2014 7:11 AM

Dec 2012
Despite not knowing Squala for long, it was hard to watch him meet his end. Especially when they started hammering down how he was trying to live in peace with that woman Eliza.

I can barely breathe as the tension builds up. Leorio is awesome and that message/act he put on was priceless.
Mar 21, 2015 5:20 AM

Apr 2012
So many death flags for poor Squala.
Sep 27, 2015 6:09 PM

Oct 2010
Really, poor Squala. When I was watching this over 10 years ago I think his death was really tragic for me.

On the other hand the OP and ED rocked.
Dec 14, 2016 10:01 PM

May 2009
negative1111 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Its good that people sometimes die in this anime but i think they are killing a bit to many... didnt want the dog controlling man to die.

I thought it was almost impossible for him to make it. I do feel kinda bad tho.

Leorio acting like an asshole was the best part of the episode
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Dec 17, 2016 3:40 AM

Feb 2016
This episode really rubbed me the wrong way. It's easy to outright detest the spiders, despite the fact that they're fictional and that they've done no offense that can be considerable relatable to the viewer.

I feel almost like Batou when he watched Togusa's memory of the assassination hit on unarmed office workers.

The way Nobunaga showed 'hypocritical' infernal lust for vengeance over the death of his piece of shit pal yet has zero hesitation or remorse for cutting down a hopeless innocent really pisses me off.

To paraphrase Mencius, "a strong person knows how to treat their lessers so that the lessers can give back more to the strong."

Or to paraphrase Confucius, "a strong person should be strong, and a servant should be servile, like a wind passing through a plain."

The spiders are nothing more than a bunch of thugs from meteor city, I couldn't care less about their sob stories when they're revealed. They are so powerful that they can offer slivers of mercy yet they almost go out of their way to be merciless.

They don't have the excuse to forfeit their morals, they are not ants, which makes it all the more infuriating and frustrating to see the leader unable to respond to Gon's question. You never even thought about it? And that's the reason why criminal executions haven't been banned. Some people aren't able to reform, they're fked in the head.

Fk 'em I sure hope they get whats coming to them, if Gon or Kurapika hunt these dogs down to the last revolting one. You wanna act like a monster, get put down like a monster then.
Cloud_IllusionDec 17, 2016 3:50 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jan 16, 2017 12:28 PM
Jul 2012
Rosny said:
This episode really rubbed me the wrong way. It's easy to outright detest the spiders, despite the fact that they're fictional and that they've done no offense that can be considerable relatable to the viewer.

I feel almost like Batou when he watched Togusa's memory of the assassination hit on unarmed office workers.

The way Nobunaga showed 'hypocritical' infernal lust for vengeance over the death of his piece of shit pal yet has zero hesitation or remorse for cutting down a hopeless innocent really pisses me off.

To paraphrase Mencius, "a strong person knows how to treat their lessers so that the lessers can give back more to the strong."

Or to paraphrase Confucius, "a strong person should be strong, and a servant should be servile, like a wind passing through a plain."

The spiders are nothing more than a bunch of thugs from meteor city, I couldn't care less about their sob stories when they're revealed. They are so powerful that they can offer slivers of mercy yet they almost go out of their way to be merciless.

They don't have the excuse to forfeit their morals, they are not ants, which makes it all the more infuriating and frustrating to see the leader unable to respond to Gon's question. You never even thought about it? And that's the reason why criminal executions haven't been banned. Some people aren't able to reform, they're fked in the head.

Fk 'em I sure hope they get whats coming to them, if Gon or Kurapika hunt these dogs down to the last revolting one. You wanna act like a monster, get put down like a monster then.

THIS is what makes this such a good show! The criminals are shown in all their hypocritical and vile glory, and are not shown sympathetically. Too many shows these days have the troubled or tortured hero and villain; the bad guys are just misunderstood, and the good guys are as bad as the bad guys, if not worse!

These bad guys are bad. These good guys are good...for the most part... but at least the bad guys are bad.
Jun 6, 2017 3:47 PM

May 2012
Oh boy that tension! Pretty great episode, a bit sad about that death but it was expected :/ oh well, let's see what's next!
Nov 29, 2017 1:46 PM

Mar 2016
WHAAAT!!! A FULLY SHOWN decapitation in a PG-13 Shonen anime! That's truly amazing! Damn...

LMFAO!!! Leorio's face and his accent at that scene is hilarious af! Probably the funniest scene so far...

Another cliffhanger = Watch next episode
Mar 28, 2018 8:09 AM

Sep 2017
Worst episode of Hunter x Hunter. They killed the guy and used his love as a plot device. Those bastards.

And Leorio finally did something. Whew.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 8, 2018 11:42 AM

Apr 2013
That's a pretty tense situation, so they will force a blackout to confuse the enemies and escape. Which will still leave those three strong fighters, are they really gonna take care of them? Or will they rather escape? Looking forward to the next episode.
Feb 5, 2020 4:33 PM
Apr 2016
I felt really bad for the dog-guy... Nobunaga's hypocrisy was also a terrifying sight, especially looking at how it was both full of sympathy and apathy. The Spiders really are well crafted characters, the criminology of them in particular; both scares and fascinates me.
Oct 18, 2020 4:21 PM
Jul 2018

Leorio takes the spotlight as usual. Great strategy--to communicate with Gon and Killuka in such a manner. But the animators went above and beyond with the facial expressions.
Oct 19, 2020 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
Oh, also, this is apparently my 3,000th anime episode, according to MAL!
May 13, 2022 7:15 PM

Feb 2015
The scene of Squala’s death was impressing, if reached I knew this guy was gonna die. With the information, its only time for Pakunoda to arrive and spread the information to hunt Kurapika, a move is going to take place before her arrival, I think. Leorio rules.
Nov 4, 2023 8:27 AM
Aug 2023
Rip squala he was too good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 5 Discussion

Grimmm - Mar 5, 2010

21 by bruh98hy89 »»
Sep 30, 2023 2:06 PM

» Even as a 2011 fan, this is some of the best I've seen from the series.

removed-user - Dec 13, 2022

9 by removed-user »»
Dec 15, 2022 3:50 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 7 Discussion

deuchi - Jan 8, 2011

17 by giffica »»
Nov 20, 2022 4:32 PM

» Re-translated: Hunter x Hunter OVAs

HunterOVA - Jan 12, 2015

2 by theMario3721 »»
Nov 18, 2022 4:47 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter OVA Episode 8 Discussion

deuchi - Jan 8, 2011

19 by Atlas77 »»
May 14, 2022 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.