Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2022 11:29 AM
Aug 2021
in every anime movie recommendation list, i found it in the top ranks.
today I gave it a try cuz I had big expectations from the story as I liked spirited away and howls moving castle so.

but I am left with a question in my mind.

"what's new here tho?" tbh the story is generic AF. just another movie related to environment with the wrath of environment shown as a glimpse.

like i could have easily watched wolf children or this but I chose this and I really am regreting my decision.

The Protagonist really isn't understandable. He himself is not clear.

i am not saying the animation wasn't bad and all but I wasn't able to connect to any of the characters.

Its just my opinion.

Plz educate me on what was great in the movie which I couldn't understand.
phoenix_blade_Jun 8, 2022 8:19 PM
Jun 8, 2022 11:47 AM
Aug 2021
idekwtftoput said:
It came out in 1997. Idk why you expect something completely new. Also why are you typing in caps
time has nothing to do with my question. Just sayin.
Btw i created the thread from my pc so caps .
Jun 8, 2022 11:54 AM
Aug 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
i cant tell if youre dumb or toxic by the caps
ohhhh my god, i cant even write in small case. my bad . i have been infected by the caps virus, plz purify me. tf. i just stated an opinion . i wanted to be enlightened by what did i miss in the movie. i wanted a new perspective. but here you are just randonmly shitting on caps.
Jun 8, 2022 11:55 AM
Dec 2020
phoenixblad3 said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
ohhhh my god, i cant even write in small case. my bad . i have been infected by the caps virus, plz purify me. tf. i just stated an opinion . i wanted to be enlightened by what did i miss in the movie. i wanted a new perspective. but here you are just randonmly shitting on caps.
it was a bad movie a fell alseep watching it
Jun 8, 2022 11:56 AM
Aug 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
phoenixblad3 said:
now you statin fax
Jun 8, 2022 11:57 AM
Dec 2020
phoenixblad3 said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
now you statin fax
[quote=phoenixblad3 message=66559069][quote=Pillsbury_Uchiha message=66559056]
phoenixblad3 said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
it was a bad movie a fell alseep
phoenixblad3 said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
now you statin fax
i guess it looks nice for its time
Jun 8, 2022 11:59 AM
Nov 2021
phoenixblad3 said:
idekwtftoput said:
It came out in 1997. Idk why you expect something completely new. Also why are you typing in caps

Time is relevant though. Princess Mononoke was new and refreshing when it came out, even if it’s a premise that has since been done a lot. It’s one of the original climate crisis environmental films - it’s also a very japanese perspective on the westernisation/urbanisation of Japan which doesn’t get done often in the west, so western audiences find the film to be interesting and refreshing

Also no offence but if you only ‘kind of like’ spirited away and howl’s moving castle then maybe studio ghibli is not for you
Jun 8, 2022 12:02 PM
Dec 2020
phephl said:
phoenixblad3 said:

Time is relevant though. Princess Mononoke was new and refreshing when it came out, even if it’s a premise that has since been done a lot. It’s one of the original climate crisis environmental films - it’s also a very japanese perspective on the westernisation/urbanisation of Japan which doesn’t get done often in the west, so western audiences find the film to be interesting and refreshing
oh [quote=phephl message=66559092]
phoenixblad3 said:
idekwtftoput said:

Time is relevant though. Princess Mononoke was new and refreshing when it came out, even if it’s a premise that has since been done a lot. It’s one of the original climate crisis environmental films - it’s also a very japanese perspective on the westernisation/urbanisation of Japan which doesn’t get done often in the west, so western audiences find the film to be interesting and refreshing[/quote
phephl said:
phoenixblad3 said:

average Madoka fan
Jun 8, 2022 12:05 PM
Aug 2021
phephl said:
phoenixblad3 said:

Also no offence but if you only ‘kind of like’ spirited away and howl’s moving castle then maybe studio ghibli is not for you

thanks for the knowledge. now i kinda understand the point of the film. thanks
and i liked spirited away so much but howls moving castle kinda. so
Jun 8, 2022 12:47 PM
Jul 2020
even I don't understand what was so special about this movie
i watched it because "few"people compared it to spirited away but in the end i was yawning while watching
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal account☮️.
Jun 8, 2022 12:55 PM
Aug 2021
ggloll said:
"ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent"

ok. fine. very good
Jun 8, 2022 1:23 PM
Feb 2022
phephl said:
phoenixblad3 said:

I agree with this I also think the pacing of the film and the animation is really good. I enjoyed how you saw the perspectives of not just the people but also the different animal groups. This way of telling a environmental story is still fresh to me to this day this is the best I’ve ever seen it done.
Jun 8, 2022 2:22 PM
Aug 2021
phoenixblad3 said:
IN EVERY ANIME MOVIE RECOMMENDATION LIST, I FOUND IT IN THE TOP RANKS.
TODAY I GAVE IT A TRY CUZ I HAD BIG EXPECTATIONS FROM THE STORY AS I KINDA LIKED SPIRITED AWAY AND HOWLS MOVING CASTLE SO.

BUT I AM LEFT WITH A QUESTION IN MY MIND.

"WHAT'S NEW HERE THO?" TBH THE STORY IS GENERIC AF. JUST ANOTHER MOVIE RELATED TO ENVIRONMENT WITH THE WRATH OF ENVIRONMENT SHOWN AS A GLIMPSE.

LIKE I COULD HAVE EASILY WATCHED WOLF CHILDREN OR THIS BUT I CHOSE THIS AND I REALLY AM REGRETING MY DECISION.

THE PROTAGANIST REALLY ISNT UNDERSTANDABLE. HE HIMSELF IS NOT CLEAR.

I AM NOT SAYING THE ANIMATION WASN'T BAD AND ALL BUT I WASNT ABLE TO CONNECT TO ANY OF THE CHARACTERS.

ITS JUST MY OPINION.

PLZ EDUCATE ME ON WHAT WAS GREAT IN THE MOVIE WHICH I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND.

Idk , just read berserk
Jun 8, 2022 4:58 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Btw your favourite Anime are generic too
Jun 8, 2022 7:28 PM
Feb 2020
Agreed. Miyazaki basically single handedly killed good anime. You nailed it, however, mononoke is still a 7 or 8 realistically be honest.
Jun 8, 2022 7:41 PM
Aug 2021
kizumi91 said:

i put them in my favourite because i enjoyed them. whats the point of watching anime when you cant even enjoy it. tf bro
Jun 8, 2022 8:07 PM
Jun 2021
come were the days of enjoying your anime and just quietly skipping one if you didn't liked
and come are the days of doing all caps to look cool
Jun 8, 2022 8:25 PM
Jan 2021
phoenixblad3 said:
in every anime movie recommendation list, i found it in the top ranks.
today I gave it a try cuz I had big expectations from the story as I liked spirited away and howls moving castle so.

but I am left with a question in my mind.

"what's new here tho?" tbh the story is generic AF. just another movie related to environment with the wrath of environment shown as a glimpse.

like i could have easily watched wolf children or this but I chose this and I really am regreting my decision.

The Protagonist really isn't understandable. He himself is not clear.

i am not saying the animation wasn't bad and all but I wasn't able to connect to any of the characters.

Its just my opinion.

Plz educate me on what was great in the movie which I couldn't understand.

Bro I totally agree with you statements it was exactly what I thought “another environment and forest awareness” I myself put the whole thing on 3x the playback speed by the 30 minute mark but It was a fun waste of time, I didn’t think this was as much as a “big deal” as the fans seem to make it to be it was “meh” honestly.
Jun 8, 2022 10:12 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
phoenixblad3 said:
kizumi91 said:

i put them in my favourite because i enjoyed them. whats the point of watching anime when you cant even enjoy it. tf bro

Liking and enjoying them doesn't mean they are not generic. A lot of people also enjoy Mononoke Hime.
Jun 8, 2022 11:20 PM
Feb 2022
yea i dont have the energy for this
Jun 9, 2022 12:24 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
What do you mean by "he is not clear"? Do you mean why he is doing all of this or what?
Furthermore, Hayao Miyazaki is big on the environment so this is what a lot of his movies have in them. And if you don't understand why people love it, then maybe you just won't get it ever.
A lot of people have nostalgia for it but that is only a small reason of why they love it.
The animation is beautiful, the backgrounds are gorgeous, the characters are realistic, the soundtrack is beautiful, and the character design is great.
There are many things you don't notice on your first watch and many more you notice later. The relationship between the protagonists is not one of love but of friendship which is very refreshing since most anime always have to have the two main characters get together. The outfit designs are perfect with each outfit making sense for that character and for the universe. Many people enjoy not having women with huge breasts or men with giant biceps even though they are 16. Even more enjoy the old animation and art style that is hard to come by these days. Most anime all look the same nowadays and all have that shine to them. It's great to see a anime that doesn't and had extreme attention to detail on every single piece of art.

These are some of the reasons I and many others love this movie and will always love it. If you don't get it, then you never will. It probably isn't your cup of tea and you are better off watching Demon Slayer or Jujustsu Kaisen if you are bored by this movie.
Jun 9, 2022 12:30 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Ya'll need to all come down and stop harassing him. Opinions are never right or wrong, liking something doesn't make you a bad person or stupid, not liking something doesn't make you stupid, and everyone can like what they like for whatever reason they want to. Chill the heck out and stop dogpiling him for no other reason then you have no life and need to attack others to gain some kind of enjoyment in your sad, little existence that only exists to harass people.
Jun 9, 2022 12:33 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Also I recommend you watch Serial Experiments Lain and A Place Further Than The Universe. You may like it or not, but give it a shot if you want. Also, Perfect Blue.
Jun 9, 2022 12:34 AM
Aug 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
What do you mean by "he is not clear"? Do you mean why he is doing all of this or what?
Furthermore, Hayao Miyazaki is big on the environment so this is what a lot of his movies have in them. And if you don't understand why people love it, then maybe you just won't get it ever.
A lot of people have nostalgia for it but that is only a small reason of why they love it.
The animation is beautiful, the backgrounds are gorgeous, the characters are realistic, the soundtrack is beautiful, and the character design is great.
There are many things you don't notice on your first watch and many more you notice later. The relationship between the protagonists is not one of love but of friendship which is very refreshing since most anime always have to have the two main characters get together. The outfit designs are perfect with each outfit making sense for that character and for the universe. Many people enjoy not having women with huge breasts or men with giant biceps even though they are 16. Even more enjoy the old animation and art style that is hard to come by these days. Most anime all look the same nowadays and all have that shine to them. It's great to see a anime that doesn't and had extreme attention to detail on every single piece of art.

These are some of the reasons I and many others love this movie and will always love it. If you don't get it, then you never will. It probably isn't your cup of tea and you are better off watching Demon Slayer or Jujustsu Kaisen if you are bored by this movie.

by how the protaganist is not clear , i just wanted to say that , he is sometimes confused and the story is very realistic in human nature. i totally agree. that was my mistake after i saw some parts again.
whatever you said about the movie is accurate too. its just everyone around around me and many lists convinced me to raise my expectations before watching the movie.
the animation is ghibliesque which is really beautiful too.
the problem was just that i wasnt convinced with the ending and the pattern the story went. just that.
i get it. you love the film. you should appreciate my opinion too. just sayin
Jun 9, 2022 12:36 AM
Aug 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
Ya'll need to all come down and stop harassing him. Opinions are never right or wrong, liking something doesn't make you a bad person or stupid, not liking something doesn't make you stupid, and everyone can like what they like for whatever reason they want to. Chill the heck out and stop dogpiling him for no other reason then you have no life and need to attack others to gain some kind of enjoyment in your sad, little existence that only exists to harass people.

thats fine. i never take opinions on twitter and myanimelist seriously. just let them spit fire. 😁
Jun 9, 2022 12:37 AM
Aug 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
Also I recommend you watch Serial Experiments Lain and A Place Further Than The Universe. You may like it or not, but give it a shot if you want. Also, Perfect Blue.

thanks for recommending. was planning to watch perfect blue
Jun 9, 2022 1:53 AM

Jun 2012
phoenixblad3 said:
idekwtftoput said:

time has everything to do with a question when you call something generic
if during that time there was very few shows of its kind, you cant really call it that

other than that, you dont like the show, cool, you have that right
one of my favourite movies
Jun 9, 2022 3:49 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
phoenixblad3 said:
ErogakiPatches said:

by how the protaganist is not clear , i just wanted to say that , he is sometimes confused and the story is very realistic in human nature. i totally agree. that was my mistake after i saw some parts again.
whatever you said about the movie is accurate too. its just everyone around around me and many lists convinced me to raise my expectations before watching the movie.
the problem was just that i wasnt convinced with the ending and the pattern the story went. just that.

I can understand raising your expectations too high to think it's amazing. Here's a fun fact about me; I don't like Silent Voice. I think it's overrated and not that good. Know the anime Komi Can't Communicate? I HATED it. Demon Slayer? I don't find it entertaining to me and I can't stand the characters. Attack on Titan? Never watched past the first season and flew through a large portion of the manga.
Those are all big shows and manga that people love and I didn't care for at all in the slightest. I'd pick watching Galaxy Angel or Elfen Lied over AoT or Komi. A large reason of why I even spent the time to watch them was because of how much popularity was surrounding them, but popularity doesn't mean it's going to be your cup of tea at all. Popularity only means what people are talking about at the time and it will not always stay very popular later on. And there is no such thing as having "good taste" in manga or anime. That's like saying there is a wrong or right opinion. Taste is subjective, comedy is subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.
If this is something you don't get, you probably won't get it later either. Just like how I don't like Silent Voice, you won't like Mononoke Hime. We all see something different in each piece of media and each piece of literature that others may see as well, but they won't always see it the same way as you.

But I do hope I've clarified why at least some fans of the movie enjoy it and why we enjoy Hayao Miyzaki's work. I won't say Studio Ghilibi because they did make that abomination called Earwing and The Witch.
Jun 9, 2022 3:53 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
phoenixblad3 said:
ErogakiPatches said:

Perfect Blue is one of my favorite anime and my favorite anime movie, probably one of my favorite movies as well. It's hard to understand though, as with much of Satoshi Kon's work. A lot of what happens is shown through the eyes of an unreliable narrator, if that makes sense. And A Place Further Than The Universe is one that I really enjoyed. If you liked Your Name and A Silent Voice, you may like this one as it is a Slice of Life with some deeper meanings there. And if you want a cult classic with very weird visuals and a bit of a hard to follow story with some very graphic scenes, then try Belladonna of Sadness. It's a old one though and only available in sub.
Jun 9, 2022 4:02 AM
Aug 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
phoenixblad3 said:

I can understand raising your expectations too high to think it's amazing. Here's a fun fact about me; I don't like Silent Voice. I think it's overrated and not that good. Know the anime Komi Can't Communicate? I HATED it. Demon Slayer? I don't find it entertaining to me and I can't stand the characters. Attack on Titan? Never watched past the first season and flew through a large portion of the manga.
Those are all big shows and manga that people love and I didn't care for at all in the slightest. I'd pick watching Galaxy Angel or Elfen Lied over AoT or Komi. A large reason of why I even spent the time to watch them was because of how much popularity was surrounding them, but popularity doesn't mean it's going to be your cup of tea at all. Popularity only means what people are talking about at the time and it will not always stay very popular later on. And there is no such thing as having "good taste" in manga or anime. That's like saying there is a wrong or right opinion. Taste is subjective, comedy is subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc.
If this is something you don't get, you probably won't get it later either. Just like how I don't like Silent Voice, you won't like Mononoke Hime. We all see something different in each piece of media and each piece of literature that others may see as well, but they won't always see it the same way as you.

But I do hope I've clarified why at least some fans of the movie enjoy it and why we enjoy Hayao Miyzaki's work. I won't say Studio Ghilibi because they did make that abomination called Earwing and The Witch.
what to say. I am just impressed by the talk you gave to me. Its like being advised by a very good friend. Thanks 😁😁
Jun 9, 2022 4:03 AM
Aug 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
phoenixblad3 said:

Perfect Blue is one of my favorite anime and my favorite anime movie, probably one of my favorite movies as well. It's hard to understand though, as with much of Satoshi Kon's work. A lot of what happens is shown through the eyes of an unreliable narrator, if that makes sense. And A Place Further Than The Universe is one that I really enjoyed. If you liked Your Name and A Silent Voice, you may like this one as it is a Slice of Life with some deeper meanings there. And if you want a cult classic with very weird visuals and a bit of a hard to follow story with some very graphic scenes, then try Belladonna of Sadness. It's a old one though and only available in sub.
thanks. Will definitely chect them out
Jun 9, 2022 4:20 AM

Nov 2020
UUHHHH WHAT DUH HELL IS NEW IN THIS 21 YEAR OLD MOVIE
Jun 9, 2022 8:42 AM
Nov 2020
ErogakiPatches said:
Blu3zClu3z said:
I’m sorry I can’t take you seriously lmao. You say you didn’t understand this anime but then you have that bunny girl anime in your favorites 😭 one of the most terrible animes’ I’ve watched that does not even have a hint of a plot but also has a teenage girl walking around in a oversexualize bunny costume like- 💀💀

But it’s okay, not everyone will always like the same anime- Like people who say they don’t like popular anime to be different and quirky.

People who think their taste is somehow better than others...
huh lmao?? Oh no I’m not into over sexualize animes🫣🫢🫢 I must hate other peoples taste in anime
Jun 10, 2022 4:21 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Blu3zClu3z said:
ErogakiPatches said:

People who think their taste is somehow better than others...
huh lmao?? Oh no I’m not into over sexualize animes🫣🫢🫢 I must hate other peoples taste in anime

" one of the most terrible animes’ I’ve watched that does not even have a hint of a plot but also has a teenage girl walking around in a oversexualize bunny costume like"
That says it all. You think your taste is better than others and that you have the only "good" taste in anime. Also, you gave Blood Lad and Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious both a 9. And Fairy Tail was also a 9 on your list??? What?! But those oversexualize their female and male characters! That means those are bad and you can't like them! How DARE you?! We should all tell you what HORRIBLE taste you have in anime and how you HAVE to like the anime we deem to be better!

Jun 10, 2022 4:24 AM
Aug 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
Blu3zClu3z said:

" one of the most terrible animes’ I’ve watched that does not even have a hint of a plot but also has a teenage girl walking around in a oversexualize bunny costume like"
That says it all. You think your taste is better than others and that you have the only "good" taste in anime. Also, you gave Blood Lad and Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious both a 9. And Fairy Tail was also a 9 on your list??? What?! But those oversexualize their female and male characters! That means those are bad and you can't like them! How DARE you?! We should all tell you what HORRIBLE taste you have in anime and how you HAVE to like the anime we deem to be better!

damn , you burned him 🤣
Jun 10, 2022 4:25 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
phoenixblad3 said:
ErogakiPatches said:

what to say. I am just impressed by the talk you gave to me. Its like being advised by a very good friend. Thanks 😁😁

You're welcome, bud! Happy to shed some light on it and at least provide some positivity in this hellhole of MAL where anime fans love to rip each other apart because they believe their opinions and taste in anime is better than others.

Jun 11, 2022 6:24 AM
Oct 2020
it’s a ok movie but i didn’t enjoy it
Jun 13, 2022 10:05 AM
Nov 2020
ErogakiPatches said:
Blu3zClu3z said:

Damn you really didn’t like me hurting your anime choices huh😭😭😭 lmfao. How dare I?🫢🫢 I never said my anime was better, most of those anime I rated that high was the anime was stupid as hell or, the anime was actually good but I took a few points off cuz the oversexualize or ofc when I was younger. I’m sorry I offended you with rating fairy tail, one of the most terrible- nonsense animes out there a 9/10 🫣 lmao. Even got so mad you went searching through my list 😭😭 I can’t-
Jun 19, 2022 10:02 PM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Canary_Supremacy said:
ErogakiPatches said:

Damn you really didn’t like me hurting your anime choices huh😭😭😭 lmfao. How dare I?🫢🫢 I never said my anime was better, most of those anime I rated that high was the anime was stupid as hell or, the anime was actually good but I took a few points off cuz the oversexualize or ofc when I was younger. I’m sorry I offended you with rating fairy tail, one of the most terrible- nonsense animes out there a 9/10 🫣 lmao. Even got so mad you went searching through my list 😭😭 I can’t-

The irony is lost on you, it seems.

"The anime was dumb so it's okay if I like it but it's not okay if other people like it hur hur hur"

"I was young so that's why I'm okay with giving such anime a high score after I stated that an anime is bad because it has a cute girl in it brrrrr"

What can I say? Go off, queen.
Jun 19, 2022 10:06 PM
Nov 2020
ErogakiPatches said:
Canary_Supremacy said:

The irony is lost on you, it seems.

"The anime was dumb so it's okay if I like it but it's not okay if other people like it hur hur hur"

"I was young so that's why I'm okay with giving such anime a high score after I stated that an anime is bad because it has a cute girl in it brrrrr"

What can I say? Go off, queen.

😭😭 why you so mad? I never said someone can’t like the bunny girl anime I just said it was funny how they don’t that person anime but have it in their favorites lmao. And who says ‘hur hur’ and ‘brrr’ 😭 LMAO.

More topics from this board

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

40 by Feitan_exe »»
May 3, 10:21 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Hime Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Metty - Feb 4, 2008

209 by Kilo_2K4 »»
Mar 31, 8:11 PM

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great? ( 1 2 )

EmperorDemonGava - Jul 1, 2012

73 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.