Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 11, 2019 10:22 PM

Aug 2008
The flashback with the dead family members was chilling. That teeth grinding noise was really well done too. The episode was more slow paced than I expected but they filled in the blanks pretty well between scenes.
May 11, 2019 11:05 PM
Apr 2019
Zaugr said:
That "sleep hypnosis" was an awfully sudden and all too convenient plot device... And just how many flashbacks to the old man's teachings is this show gonna have to give us? I'm kinda wishing it would have just shown us more when we were actually back there if it's going to do it so frequently. It makes everything feel choppy and poorly paced when it's having to throw us around so much.
Way too much of this show's writing is feeling awfully contrived, I'm hoping it gets better. I mean the show hasn't done a good job of setting up Tanjirou's and that old man's relationship either - we barely got to see any actual bits of them bonding throughout those one/two years of training, or even just talking and living together, but apparently they're really close now--which is believable of course, it was over a year, but I really don't feel too much for it since the show has pretty much completing left me out of it's development. It feels like the show wanted to get through that first part of the story quickly to get to the actual action-packed meat, but it also still wanted to keep the emotional weight of the arc and it's character development, forgetting that you cannot eat your cake and have it too...

On a positive note though I'm really loving this show's soundtrack and art direction, and the animation even with it's frequent use of CGI feels very consistent. ufotable are really good at that huh. Also getting more of Nezuko is always great! Oh and those first 5 seconds took me straight back to a certain Hunter x Hunter episode lmao.

On the bright side, this is probably the last urokodaki flashback we're going to get. Coming from a manga reader at least.
May 11, 2019 11:34 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty awesome episode, the teeth grinding this was pretty random and unique lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
May 11, 2019 11:57 PM

Apr 2015
The next months are going to be some damn hard months trying to not read the manga while this is still airing.

The episode was good, its starting to feel alot like claymore and im loving it.
And the animation... thanks god the we were blessed with this to compensate J.C Staff's OPM
May 12, 2019 12:57 AM
Jan 2017
nice episode ,, the first oni that tanjiro face has unique style
May 12, 2019 1:14 AM

Mar 2014
YosepYRA said:
That's one hell of a Doraemon's Pocket box.

We meet the name of Muzan today, and apparently he might be the ONLY one who knows how to turn Nezuko back to human. Idk.. If this Muzan is supposed to be the Endgame, how could he reveal the way to turn demons back to human to our dear protagonist? Currently, it's still weak in story imo..

Yeah all manga readers can agree this first mission arc in the manga was okay at best but boy does it get better down the line.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
May 12, 2019 1:26 AM
May 2013
i assume tanjiro learned all these sword fighting forms during the 1.5 year timeskip? he just keeps pulling a new one out of his ass every episode. they look cool, but they're totally meaningless to the viewer.
May 12, 2019 1:30 AM
Feb 2019
This episodes dials back the action and emotion, in favour of seeing Tanjiro learning on his first mission.

Music was consistently good, and the action, though little, was still enjoyable.
May 12, 2019 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
Nezuko is definitely my favorite female character in the series. I enjoyed the manga scenes where she appeared to fight or simply spend time out of that box.

I wish they could have finished this episode instead of continuing it in the next. The exposition is necessary for those who haven't read the manga but at the same time, I feel it's somewhat slow-paced. I wanted the next episode dedicated to the appearance of Kibutsuji Muzan and some other important characters, who also happen to be my favorite.
臭い-
May 12, 2019 3:23 AM
Oct 2016
The brainwashing thing was a little bit ??? The cut scene suggested Nezuko literally sees all other humans as her family members (like Tanjiro replaced the guy etc)... which I'm not sure is such a great thing in the long term. I'd love some insight into this, Urokodaki-san.
May 12, 2019 3:24 AM

Dec 2014
I wish nezuko was doing the protecting by her own sake ot because of hypnotic mambo jambo
May 12, 2019 4:14 AM

Sep 2016
Heard people say this show is very dark. It has been pretty vanilla till now.
Good episode though, I want to know more about that 1000y/o demon. Looking forward to the next ep.
May 12, 2019 4:47 AM

Apr 2018
NothinComplexPls said:
Good episode though, I want to know more about that 1000y/o demon. Looking forward to the next ep.
who says that? This series had its dark moment yes but nothing is "very dark" in this series.
May 12, 2019 5:05 AM

Mar 2019
ExaltedChampion said:
Giulia14 said:
Man, people taking the time to talk shit about this show here are tiring. It's not like i am attached to this show or LOVE it. I don't. But honestly seeing people keep repeating like parrots the line "it's generic" without explaining WHY and HOW this affects the story is hilaroius and meh at the same time. "Cliche" is not a bad thing per se unless it affects the story, you should take some cinematography classes or improve your argumentative skills instead of repeating the same line without context over and over.

This. Just because a story is" cliche" doesn't make it bad. All story borrowed elements form older works and refine them and create new 'cliche" from older one. Judging a story merit base on if it is " original" or not is stupid and if we do that, all stories told from the dawn of humanity are bad.

Exactly. It's really surprising how people still expect to see innovative stuff in 2 0 1 9. I saw a lot of people even saying "It's not revolutionary" to criticize an anime/manga that has only ONE chapter. Can't believe the amount of stupidity ahahah
May 12, 2019 5:08 AM

Feb 2014
I couldn't help but chuckle when Nezuko hesitated at first to getting into the new box, but eventually, she got in and got comfortable with it quickly. =)

Tanjiro's first mission is a tricky one. It was disturbing and creepy to see how exactly the demon was able to kidnap the poor girls and the poor lad who Tanjiro is helping got a very undeserved beating from the father of his girlfriend who, by the looks of it, is already dead. Poor guy. D=

Either way, the demon is proving to be a slight problem for Tanjiro, who is trying his best to protect the lad and the rescued girl while fighting the demon, who can split into three forms. Thankfully, Nezuko woke up and made her entrance by giving one demon a bloody good kick in the face. Nicely done!

Although the cliffhanger ending was a slight bummer, it's understandable since the fight isn't over yet. I'm expecting a satisfying conclusion to the fight next time and hopefully Tanjiro can get more info about Muzan, who could possibly turn Nezuko back into a human. Great stuff as usual. =)
May 12, 2019 5:22 AM

Apr 2011
I thought it'll take a little longer to see Nezuko fight alongside Tanjirou. Good things she's ready to kick demon ass starting this episode.

I feel bad for the young girls that got killed like Satoko. It would be a miracle if they found at least a few of them alive.

Awesome episode with great animation and soundtrack. It also well explained about his sword turning black and Hypnotizing Nezuko among others.
May 12, 2019 5:23 AM

Mar 2016
The whole day I thought I was forgetting something. Seems it was this anime. Lol. Apparently I hadn't watched it yesterday.

I guess Nezuko does not have claustrophobia. Do vampires even have claustrophobia?

The vampires here don't need an invitation to get inside someone's home. How surprising. Japanese demons are usually quite polite. The Kuchisake-Onna even lets you leave if you say you're busy.

The details of the backgrounds were surprisingly amazing at times.

The Ed music makes me prepare myself for Kalafina's beautiful vocals, and—as a result—my heart breaks a little. I wish they'd come back somehow.
May 12, 2019 6:05 AM
Oct 2016
So nezuko is hypnotized to kill demons and protect the humans. Pretty convenient for Tanjirou. This was another great episode, can`t wait to see how they beat the demons.
May 12, 2019 6:11 AM

May 2015
nezuko is saving this show for me.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 12, 2019 6:38 AM
Jun 2017
nezuko is the real weaponj of tanjirou here, atleast he dont need to face those 3 demons alone...
May 12, 2019 7:17 AM

Sep 2016
Jfs_ said:
NothinComplexPls said:
who says that? This series had its dark moment yes but nothing is "very dark" in this series.

Vanillafags on youtube lol
May 12, 2019 8:55 AM

Oct 2017
Damn the animation ,the fight, the soundracks r all legendary.
May 12, 2019 8:57 AM

Sep 2011
nanashi796 said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Oh lol, I triggered some fanboy.

i bet you hate ufotable because they ruined zestiria.

I mean Zestiria was always trash.
May 12, 2019 10:05 AM

Sep 2018
Damn nezuko's so kawaii. Really her moments are my fav parts of the show - tho the fights are also really cool lol.
May 12, 2019 11:58 AM

Mar 2018
This is shaping up to become of the best scores by Kajiura. Her score for this episode was amazing. That said l loved the episode. Too bad all the girls are lost.
May 12, 2019 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Nezuko demon mode is awesome but yet cute at the same time.

Alright episode, but I feel like it was too slow paced
May 12, 2019 4:05 PM

Sep 2017
I definitively love this anime, it's like the seasonal Dororo

I love how Nezuko kicks in (literally) everytime her brother is in trouble, it's pleasant to see she's not a simple damsel in distress that must be saved everytime

And god, the animation and especially the soundtrack are soooo good
May 12, 2019 4:48 PM

Nov 2013
Nezuko activated Byakugan(Hinata) and super strengh kicks (Sakura) :v

damn i wanna see more of her figting, nice episode =D
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
May 12, 2019 5:42 PM

Nov 2008
So this series is set in the early 20th Century? I assumed that it was set in the Edo era until I started to see the power lines in the background this episode and then Tanjiro mentioned that it was the Taisho era during the ending. Tanjiro had better stay out in the countryside or he is going to get in trouble with the Police and Military when they see him wandering around with a sword...
May 12, 2019 5:54 PM

May 2015
The teeth gritting sound was so disgusting, I had to take out my headphones.

Also, I can't stop thinking about how incredibly creepy this scene looks when taken out of context. It honestly looks like a stalker locking up the person he's obsessed with, lmao.

♡ artist
サコ
May 12, 2019 8:22 PM

Apr 2018
Another slow paced episode huh, still a good episode.
and The next episode is finally, muzan jackson, can't wait :D
May 12, 2019 9:04 PM

Dec 2012
Why does Tanjiro's forehead scar look different from previous episodes? Did he get a tattoo or something?
May 12, 2019 10:45 PM

Dec 2016
Albi-kun said:
Why does Tanjiro's forehead scar look different from previous episodes? Did he get a tattoo or something?

During the Final Selection he hit his head a lots, you can even see he bandage his head after the Seletion was over so i guess that why it change.
May 13, 2019 12:44 AM

May 2015
Nezuko is so cute, kind and strong
I'm in love
May 13, 2019 12:59 AM

Apr 2009
heydaycapriccio said:
The teeth gritting sound was so disgusting, I had to take out my headphones.

Also, I can't stop thinking about how incredibly creepy this scene looks when taken out of context. It honestly looks like a stalker locking up the person he's obsessed with, lmao.

lol ah man it does now that ive taken a second look at it.
May 13, 2019 1:23 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, the adaptation made this short filler tier side arc more interesting to watch. The worst and slowest parts of the manga have actually been pretty entertaining thus far. That ost and directing really adds a lot.

Red_Ranger_Wien said:
nanashi796 said:
i bet you hate ufotable because they ruined zestiria.

I mean Zestiria was always trash.
Basically everything post god Vesperia is pretty trash. A Zestiria fan feeling they have the right to judge anything, let alone deserve to exist, really is a thinker.
EvildoerMay 13, 2019 2:02 AM
May 13, 2019 6:46 AM

Mar 2010
Found this hypnoze thing really 'forced', but oh well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2019 4:25 PM
Nov 2018
How does Nezuko fit in that box xD
May 13, 2019 5:35 PM
Jul 2018
You could say Nezuko has his back, or she is his back up plan... *winks with both eyes* I love her, best girl. I am loving this whole show in general. This demon's teeth chattering makes me want to die though.
May 13, 2019 9:05 PM
Nov 2015
Good episode overall.

I really liked the whole part with Tanjiro chasing the oni through his smell and the way they ended the episode.

To me the pace was on point as well, as it's been since the first episode.

I still can't buy the water effect, though. It doesn't give me enough impact from Tanjiro's blows, if you ask me.

3.5/5.
BetoYeriExyMay 13, 2019 9:09 PM
May 13, 2019 10:05 PM
Jan 2016
Another masterpiece episode!

So, black blades are said to be wielded by swordmen who will never go far, interesting! Tanjirou will show that he will be the first going far!

For her first mission, gotta say he is agaisnt a hard demon, but i am glad he found it with his scent, water style animation in fight and soundtrack were awesome, and yeah Nezuko is on the scene aswelll with that powerfull kick, i am loving her! So cute and deadly! Can't wait to see her next episode!

I feel kinda bad about the guy that lost his beloved girl!
May 14, 2019 2:28 PM

Apr 2015
I thought this episode is decent, feels really slow
May 14, 2019 6:47 PM

Oct 2012
Great episode. Nezuko got her box. We learned about the sword, the demon slayer cloths, the demon who killed Tanjirou's family and why Nezuko fights against demons. We got to see Tanjirou's abilities - scent and sword techniques in full-effect against a really creepy trio of demon. I really don't see how people would call that slow but I'm used to most people on MAL just commenting on the one thing they didn't find perfect about an episode.
May 15, 2019 6:24 AM
Oct 2012
LordGrind3r said:
This anime looks great, all the colors and the art style are amazing. And that fantastic soundtrack ? Immersive for almost the whole episode, and what a fight! I was missing anime like this one.

But it's difficult to maintain that level for 26 episodes.

It's pretty likely for it to be 13 episodes first season, and 13 episodes during Fall season. split-cour
May 15, 2019 8:31 AM

Mar 2010
"We' will always be together nezuko. It looked so yandere when Tenjuro looked into the basket and told her that
May 15, 2019 12:52 PM

Aug 2008
Eniie said:
LordGrind3r said:
This anime looks great, all the colors and the art style are amazing. And that fantastic soundtrack ? Immersive for almost the whole episode, and what a fight! I was missing anime like this one.

But it's difficult to maintain that level for 26 episodes.

It's pretty likely for it to be 13 episodes first season, and 13 episodes during Fall season. split-cour

but if was a split-cour shouldn't had been another page created?
is one saying 26 o.0...
The spider is watching
May 15, 2019 1:05 PM

Apr 2012
NEZUKO KICK!!!
I'm so happy to see the cutest imoto burst out of the little box to deliver her now signature move. I was a little bummed to know that a little hypnotic suggestion was planted in her but given the circumstances that she's also a demon that could loose control at the wrong moment made me understand why Urokodaki had to implant a fail safe measure on her. Nezuko already has proven to show restraint in harming Tanjiro and has shown to be protective of him so the little tweak in her head is for everyone else's sake.

Uforable animation was spot on again and puts every other studio to shame. The amount of detail they put on a single episode is on par with other studios when they put their resources on a movie. There's simply no comparison; they head and shoulders above everyone else and they're the gold standard of animation as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not gonna waste my time on people who waste their time shitting on what people enjoy. They're hopeless and live only through toxicity. They'll never go away and asking them to leave only makes them want to stay and be more defiant because attention through conflict is probably the only thing going for their miserable lives.
Those who don't like the anime have a right to do so and they should do the ONLY logical and sane thing to do is drop it and leave. Unfortunately we're not dealing with logical or sane people on these forums.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
May 15, 2019 2:31 PM

Dec 2016
Finally got caught up on this series. Man, the pacing is slow. I just barely avoided dropping this show, and to be honest I fast-fowarded through episode 4 because it was such an uneventful snoozefest.

Fortunately the plot has picked up a bit in the last couple of episodes, so there is at least some entertainment to be had. Fights are reasonably engaging, which is a good thing because this series is leaning heavily on the action to maintain interest.

Still, the story and characterization is very thin. The set-pieces for the plot feel very generic, from the test that the demon hunters had to take, to getting his sword (not lightsaber lul), to going out on his first demon-hunting assignment. As I expected from the first couple of episodes, this show is struggling to deliver substance, given the vague, unfocused goal of the story and main character.

I take back what I said about the pacing being slow; it's more erratic than slow. Some parts are indeed much slower than they need to be, but the part I mention above was supposed to be a whole seven days; and other than the main fight that entire time is glossed over. Instead of taking time to develop the main character and perhaps some side characters, it just teels us that he spent seven days in there. So why not make it a single night? Or three nights? It would have served the same narrative purpose. Very bizarre decision making.

Probably the biggest problem is how distant and under-characterized the cast of the show is. Yes, Urokodaki is supposed to have a somewhat mysterious background, but that isn't an excuse to skip his characterization. Same with Tanjiro; other than the sniffing thing and wanting to help his sister, nothing has been done to make his character stand out. He hasn't been forced to make any decisions that define him as a person, and his "development" has been restricted to his progression as a demon slayer, so that we can get to cool fight scenes.

Even the incidental characters in this episode have received little to no characterization. Even second-rate animes would make a token effort to flesh out characters like the girl who was attacked by the demon while she slept. But this show does nothing to define her character or make the audience care about her. She's literally just a vehicle for advancing the plot.

I'm not impressed.
SSL443May 15, 2019 2:34 PM
May 15, 2019 4:15 PM

Apr 2018
The Journey for Tanjiro begins with the morphing demon. Nezuko with that kick tho xD
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

-Stray - Sep 7, 2019

221 by skatensleep »»
Today, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2019

351 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

302 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2019

281 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:05 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2019

1095 by skatensleep »»
Today, 1:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.