Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 4, 2019 12:10 PM
Jun 2015
xenovibe said:
Of course his sister is a special exception and doesn't have to eat human flesh to survive unlike every other demon we've seen so far, meaning that our goody two-shoes MC will never have to face any interesting dilemma involving his sister's life or innocent folks'. Gotta love how this plays it safe even for a weekly shounen jump work smh.

Kamiyan3991 said:

Not really. The thing is, they've introduced this demon as complete bastard who enjoys killing people. But now I'm supposed to feel sad because they've shown me 2 mins. of tearful flashback...?

Dunno, man.
That's too cheap for my taste.

Ufotable back to their old tricks, it's like UBW all over again where they spend a few minutes on a flashback, in a last-ditch/crappy attempt at making us care about a certain character right before killing them off. This is just terrible writing and directing.
his sister is not a "special exception" no where is it stated that a demon's diet ONLY consists of human flesh. Urokodaki also states in the episode that nezuko was using sleep as a replacement for human flesh hence the prolonged sleep. Also the demon's backstory is NOT meant to make viewers feel sympathetic it's there to make us realise that demons used to be humans and that there are two sides to every story.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenMay 7, 2019 7:17 PM
May 4, 2019 12:24 PM

Mar 2008
what happened to Tanjiro's scar? it was pretty big and up till the hairline, now it seems it's gone and judging by the opening/ending, he'll have some dark fancy weird-shaped scar now, how is it possible?

other than that, I'm really enjoying this anime. Kimetsu no Yaiba and Carole & Tuesday are AOTS for me, definitely.
May 4, 2019 12:25 PM

Feb 2016
I don't really know what to think of this series anymore, it has good visual effects and the music is there, but the art style is very flat, and the flashbacks were really odd. I'm not feeling this as much as I thought I would, kinda disappointing for a "very acclaimed manga".

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 4, 2019 12:59 PM
Jun 2015
HereticHunter said:
I don't really know what to think of this series anymore, it has good visual effects and the music is there, but the art style is very flat, and the flashbacks were really odd. I'm not feeling this as much as I thought I would, kinda disappointing for a "very acclaimed manga".

bro it's only been 5 episodes let it grow and blossom you don't tear out a flower before it's fully grown. These 5 episodes have been the exposition which gave us the Lore of the world and established the main cast. From the next episode that's when things get good
May 4, 2019 1:01 PM

Apr 2014
Episode felt 5 minutes long, like how..
May 4, 2019 1:03 PM
Mar 2018
I find the idea that these swords turn colors based on the bearer to be pretty interesting. Could be interesting as a way to get a vague idea of a character.

I assume Tanjiro's was black because of his job selling coal before all this?
May 4, 2019 1:19 PM

Sep 2017
Was not expecting a flashback showing the demon, but I hope it's something the show will continue to do. All (or at least probably most) of the demons were human at some point and I'd like to have focus on that rather than just killing the demons and moving on.

The concept of swords changing colors is interesting. Depending on what it actually means in terms of fighting style/abilities or whatever it could be pretty cool.
May 4, 2019 1:31 PM

Dec 2013
bledsoe60 said:
Hang on you rated Code Geass the same as Index III? Actually, yes, can we talk about your tastes for a second.

Fam, my scores are outdated af. Too lazy to fix it.
But yeah, CG never impressed me. As for Index... I overrated it cuz reasons. Talk about sentiment.

xenovibe said:
Ufotable back to their old tricks, it's like UBW all over again where they spend a few minutes on a flashback, in a last-ditch/crappy attempt at making us care about a certain character right before killing them off. This is just terrible writing and directing.

Yeah, seems like it. I don't get all the hype really.
But, actually, I don't even think it's bad. Just as average as every generic WSJ shounen I can think of.
May 4, 2019 1:37 PM
Jan 2018
ProofByColor said:
Was not expecting a flashback showing the demon, but I hope it's something the show will continue to do. All (or at least probably most) of the demons were human at some point and I'd like to have focus on that rather than just killing the demons and moving on.

The concept of swords changing colors is interesting. Depending on what it actually means in terms of fighting style/abilities or whatever it could be pretty cool.

Actually most of the demons do get some kind of backstory, so that's great news for you

paulibobo said:
I don't think a rushed dying flashback is ever going to succeed at getting me to like a characater, it sure as hell didn't here. Felt kind of gratuitous and cheap.

Of course only the participants with distinctive character designs survive. What a surprise.

I do like the Bakugo guy, he just doesn't care about any of the shit those girls are saying. Hope he shows up often, though with the way that the characters all kind of went their separate ways it might be difficult to have him reapear frequently, especially since it seems like coward guy and pig face are going to be the ones to join Tanjirou's squad, judging from the opening.

Fun episode, but hopefully next time they try to do an emotional scene it'll actually be earned and not gratuitous.

It's not supposed to be heartbreaking, it's just there to show you how all those demons were essentially humans, as the guy above me stated

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenMay 7, 2019 7:15 PM
May 4, 2019 2:04 PM

Oct 2017
justasadguy said:
Is it only me or I saw only four people surviving the test, but that mysterious person with shoulder-length black hair which we saw from the back said he got 5 new sons?

You would've known if you at least skimmed over the previous comments instead of reaching straight for the "Quick Reply"...
May 4, 2019 2:09 PM
Nov 2017
Man I also wanted to see a bright red sword. It would have been so cool
May 4, 2019 2:32 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
i love saturdays. Watching this show makes my day if anything else. The art and animation are so vibrant and crisp. And it has a good story too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 4, 2019 2:37 PM

Feb 2016
Archer123 said:
HereticHunter said:

bro it's only been 5 episodes let it grow and blossom you don't tear out a flower before it's fully grown. These 5 episodes have been the exposition which gave us the Lore of the world and established the main cast. From the next episode that's when things get good

Hope you are right about that, but its a pretty weak start to me. I'm going to give a chance to next episode to see if things get better
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 4, 2019 2:48 PM

Feb 2019
Tanjiro's first mission is next episode! And the blacksmith's hilarious! But I wonder if what he was explaining to Tanjiro will play an important role later on...
May 4, 2019 3:23 PM

Dec 2010
I thought the flashback for the demon was a nice touch. I didn't feel sorry for that demon per se, but it does give a somber reminder that these crazy demons were all innocent victims themselves. When tears slipped out from under Urokodaki's mask though, oof - instant feels.

I was pleasantly surprised to not only see Tanjiro step up for the twins, but actually go through with his threat. His character is surprisingly made of tougher stuff than expected.

Looking forward to more!
May 4, 2019 3:33 PM
Apr 2019
Can someone explain how Nezuko is able to forgo eating people by just sleeping, and why for over 2 years.
And I really hope that she goes on some of these missions with Tanjirou too
May 4, 2019 3:34 PM

Sep 2017
Being able to watch this every Saturday for a while is gonna be a real treat! Kinda wish Tanjiro woulda kept the ponytail tho.....
May 4, 2019 3:43 PM

Aug 2018
So Tanjirou survived and even killed this huge demon... well I really expected he would receive something additional, especially after he took defense of the girl assaulted by another survivor. Seems like it did not matter but well, he got a hell of a nice katana, which turned black : a special meaning for a special fate ?

The speaking raven was quite unexpected, but funny as well.
May 4, 2019 3:44 PM
Apr 2016
Well, that's great! He passed the exam thingy. Now, he got his personal demon slaying sword and his very first assignment! Good episode.
May 4, 2019 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
I want to hear the sparrow talk, anyone else wanna hear the sparrow talk?
May 4, 2019 3:56 PM

Apr 2017
Not much fighting this episode, but was good seeing daylight lol. I reckon we're gonna get an awesome fight scene in the next two episodes.
May 4, 2019 4:00 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
No one heard bakugous VA in the episode or was it just me man the guy gets around from JoJo to this from this to my magical index damn

May 4, 2019 4:04 PM
Jul 2014
Gonna assume the 5th was the character with the boar head.

Anyway, enjoyed this prologue a good bit. I've heard things start to pick up even more pretty soon.

Gotta say though, I don't like them doing 2 chapters an episode, that just doesn't really work for me, especially for Shounen Jump series. There's clearly enough chapters to do more an episode, so hopefully that's what will happen going forward.
May 4, 2019 4:14 PM
Mar 2017
The selection finished and Tanjirou with four apprentices survived this brutal test. Tanjirou left that forest with more experience and strength, I wonder who will be the fifth apprentice who approved the selection.
As always there must be a violent idiot who wants to destroy everything, but it was a pleasure to see that Tanjirou put him in his place.
Interesting that Tanjirou used his keen sense of smell to choose his piece of Tamahagane steel.

The meeting with Nezuko and Urokodaki was very touching, it is nice to see Nezuko awake and with energy (I say it because she throws the door with a kick) and on the other hand to see Urokodaki crying when he sees that Tanjirou returned was very moving.
Tanjirou receives his Katana as proof that he is now a demon killer, the best thing is that these Katanas or Nichirinto change color depending on the user and in the case of Tanjirou the blade turns black. Haganezuka seemed quite particular to me, the blacksmith of the demon slayer katanas has an eccentric personality.
Along with his new katana also came the first mission for Tanjirou, in this case he must eliminate a demon that kidnaps girls.
No doubt the tenderness of Nezuo was missing in previous episodes, she looks so adorable hiding under her futon like "I do not want to go outside" and that hug full of feelings that gave Tanjirou after two years without seeing, damn ... The tears ran through me from the movingness of that scene.
On a separate note this episode gave us a very sad moment at the beginning of the episode, although the demon was a bastard because of the cruelty in which he killed Urokodaki's disciples, seeing the memories of his life before becoming a demon and when he was captured by Urokodaki was intense, is how people say, before dying you see your life pass before your eyes, besides the sincerity and good will of Tanjirou asking God that this demon reincarnates as a normal person was moving.
May 4, 2019 4:28 PM

Jan 2019
Kamiyan3991 said:
Xenocrisi said:
Once again Ufotable is doing justice and even more to the manga.

How so? I'd just cut out that part with dying demon who went full emo.
That's not how you set up a drama moment. I couldn't care less honestly.

LadyPhyllo said:
When you feel bad for a demon that's killed many people you know it's good storytelling.

2 mins. of wonky flashback is actually enough for you to care about it?
Guess people these days have some weird concept of "good storytelling".
They didn't even introduce this character. At all.

2.5/5 for the episode.

Hey look, this guy's back again!
Welcome!
May 4, 2019 4:31 PM
Apr 2016
Pknoctis said:
I thought the flashback for the demon was a nice touch. I didn't feel sorry for that demon per se, but it does give a somber reminder that these crazy demons were all innocent victims themselve

I want to add that the flashback also he explains why the demon arrived to his grotesque form. He used to be a scared kid who liked to hold his brother's hand for assurance, so the demon subconsciously grew so many arms to wrap himself with.
May 4, 2019 4:32 PM

Dec 2013
Farabeuf said:
And it has a good story too.

Huh? Pray tell, what's actually good about this story?
All I can see, it's just a generic shounen "I need to get stronger/protect my waifus".
May 4, 2019 4:34 PM

Sep 2018
We learn a lot more about the way demons consume souls in this episode & how they emit emotions of the souls they've eaten... especially the ones who meant something to them prior to their transformation into demons.

When Tanjiro held the hand & the demon cried, that was breathtakingly good... now let's just hope things don't take a Shield Hero turn now that we have all 4 heroes/demonslayers :D
May 4, 2019 4:58 PM
Jan 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
Farabeuf said:

All I can see, it's just a generic shounen "I need to get stronger/protect my waifus".

You hate this show so much I'd have though you're score for it is like 2 or 3 if I hadn't looked your profile before.
May 4, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2013
Grimmgeta said:
Gonna assume the 5th was the character with the boar head.

Anyway, enjoyed this prologue a good bit. I've heard things start to pick up even more pretty soon.

Gotta say though, I don't like them doing 2 chapters an episode, that just doesn't really work for me, especially for Shounen Jump series. There's clearly enough chapters to do more an episode, so hopefully that's what will happen going forward.

The manga only really picked up for most people when the trio in the OP actually got together which unfortunately will be late into this first cour, though ufotable has been doing a great job keeping the early parts entertaining so far so it can only go up from here on.

Also judging from the manga and the assumed stopping point for the season, they'll be doing more than 2 chapters per episode later on as the fights increase. It's just that the early parts of the manga are pretty rushed overall in fear of being axed (as usual with WSJ) so they had to slow down the adaptation and let the pace settle down a bit in anime form.
EasyGo-erMay 4, 2019 5:06 PM

May 4, 2019 5:26 PM
Aug 2018
That flashback for the demon was unnecessary and made no sense to include. It was a very recently introduced character that no-one cared about and I do not know why he would have remorse after slaughtering people for decades and having a deep hatred of demon slayers.
eWEQRW123123May 4, 2019 5:32 PM
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
May 4, 2019 5:41 PM
Apr 2019
日本では、イノシシは、直情的で落ち着きの無い人に対して
比喩表現で用いられることが多いです。

In Japan, boars are against a person who is straightforward and restless
It is often used in figurative expressions.
May 4, 2019 5:50 PM

Oct 2015
Would've been great if Tanjiro's blade had really turned red though, the black blade kinda has been overused a lot in anime.

The moment where he killed that giant monster and it held out its hand kinda was emotional, I felt it a bit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 4, 2019 5:58 PM

Apr 2014
It's 5 people who passed. The 5th is the Boar guy.

Nezuko is best imouto

May 4, 2019 6:36 PM

Jan 2011
bruh only around 5 of em made it back all beat up and tired but that one girl looks like day one guess she'd be a future talented character.

ending got me hype we finally out of training ,found it funny his whole art style for fighting has been water but everything now is pointing towards fire but his sword ended up changing to black of all things
May 4, 2019 6:51 PM
Apr 2016
eWEQRW123123 said:
I do not know why he would have remorse after slaughtering people for decades and having a deep hatred of demon slayers.

It's not that he suddenly felt remorse, but regaining his human memory and the fear of dying made he seek some kind of comfort in his last moment.
May 4, 2019 6:58 PM

Aug 2008
The pace has been wonderful so far. I appreciate that they added a bit more consistancy to the flashback. I look forward to when we see more of Inosuke and Zenitsu.
Haganzuke always makes me laugh with his obsessions with swords.
May 4, 2019 7:05 PM

Feb 2009
Crimsonguy said:
Only four of them made it, but the guy with the crow with a scarf said five made it. Its that a translation error or something else?

I was wondering the same. It seems there is another one that survive!

May 4, 2019 7:26 PM

Apr 2009
Man, they made the ending of that fight even better here. lol @ sister kicking the door down just to go outside. Good episode.
May 4, 2019 7:26 PM
Aug 2013
justasadguy said:
Is it only me or I saw only four people surviving the test, but that mysterious person with shoulder-length black hair which we saw from the back said he got 5 new sons?

Icewolf004 said:
Crimsonguy said:
Only four of them made it, but the guy with the crow with a scarf said five made it. Its that a translation error or something else?

I was wondering the same. It seems there is another one that survive!

He said "Go-nin" means "five people". So, it's not translation error. And I think the more mysteries it has, the better the story (at least for me).

*Note
- 1 = Ichi
- 2 = Ni
- 3 = San
- 4 = Shi / Yon
- 5 = Go
- 6 = Roku
- 7 = Nana / Shichi
- 8 = Hachi
- 9 = Kyuu
- 10 = Juu
May 4, 2019 7:27 PM
Aug 2018
youdontknowwho said:
eWEQRW123123 said:
I do not know why he would have remorse after slaughtering people for decades and having a deep hatred of demon slayers.

It's not that he suddenly felt remorse, but regaining his human memory and the fear of dying made he seek some kind of comfort in his last moment.

There was definitely remorse. The largest piece of evidence is when he asked, 'How did it come to this?', which implied he had regretted something. I just see it as very out of place when he had lost his humanity for decades.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
May 4, 2019 7:31 PM

Oct 2017
I wonder if it means somethng when the sword turns Pitch Black. Urokodaki did say it's very rare to happen.
May 4, 2019 7:33 PM
May 2019
Kamiyan3991 said:
Farabeuf said:

So what do you consider as "not generic shounen"? An edgelord who wants to destroy the world for treating him so horrible? Or someone who wants to change the world because in his view, the world is so bad and need to be fixed?

This MC is a normal boy, who once had a normal life with his so normal family, and after everything is destroyed, he just wants to protect the last precious thing left for him, and it is his sister, not his 'waifu'' so stop insulting him. His wish is the same as the wish of someone who has met tragedy in his life. What is wrong with that?

Your way of thinking sounds like an obnoxious teenager that doesn't give a damn care about normal people's thought, human emotions, just wants some shock value to be entertained, and yet, you criticize other people who find this story interesting. Truly hilarious.....

eWEQRW123123 said:
youdontknowwho said:

There was definitely remorse. The largest piece of evidence is when he asked, 'How did it come to this?', which implied he had regretted something. I just see it as very out of place when he had lost his humanity for decades.

The demons obey their animal instinct and who knows in the process of transforming, they lost their mind as a condition. Maybe the one who creates those demons just wants them to forget their previous life in order to make them eat people more easily. Imagine that you still maintain human mind, how can you attack and eat other people as it is a daily activity?
HLinhMay 4, 2019 7:46 PM
May 4, 2019 8:09 PM
Jan 2019
Bakugou as Angry Sword Boy❤️❤️❤️
May 4, 2019 8:12 PM

Sep 2017
I wonder who the fifth one is. Bakuto's voice actor showing up was great. Nobuhiko Okamoto showing up was excellent, and it's wonderful to see he's playing the same role he does in literally every other show. Also, god damn the soundtrack for this episode was phenomenal.
May 4, 2019 8:38 PM
May 2019
The fifth one might be the boar one I guess... saw in from the OP
May 4, 2019 8:43 PM
Apr 2014
Zenitsu sounds too calm for his character, I expected his voice to be more high pitched, lol.
May 4, 2019 9:17 PM

Jun 2015
and as i figured, angry sword boy is of course, bakugou's voice actor.
May 4, 2019 9:21 PM
Jun 2016
Damn, I almost teared up twice in this episode. This is getting better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2019 9:38 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
i have lots of days like this...

“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

-Stray - Sep 7, 2019

221 by skatensleep »»
Today, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2019

351 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

302 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:27 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2019

281 by skatensleep »»
Today, 2:05 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2019

1095 by skatensleep »»
Today, 1:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.