Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2016 12:20 PM

Jun 2016
For those who have read the manga, do you recommend reading the manga? I have not read it. Not sure if it would be a good idea...
Jul 2, 2016 12:27 PM

Feb 2010
Next episode is going to be a "Bizarre" one ;)
Jul 2, 2016 12:29 PM

Apr 2015
unique-96 said:
For those who have read the manga, do you recommend reading the manga? I have not read it. Not sure if it would be a good idea...

I personally prefer the anime because of the presentation. It's just a lot more investable, it is so much more fun in the anime.

But the pace is sort of rushed (and it skipped something ontop of that), so the manga would be better if you don't have anything you like specifically about the anime.

But as for the episode myself, I was totally into it. As usual, the show is as fun as ever. The show really knows how to present crap and i love the soundtrack and reveals. ; -; Its so much fun.

I'm upset everything is basically spoiled by the opening, but, I suppose the journey is just as important, its not like I personally give a shit since I know everything already.
Jul 2, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
That was pretty rushed. It wasn't too bad I guess but this would've been better off with 2 cour instead.
Jul 2, 2016 12:35 PM
Apr 2014
unique-96 said:

There really is no need to read the manga unless you're a super fan and want to know what happens next, the anime is doing very good despite the fast pace, they're just condensing theamount of explanations for the dishes. They only skipped one chapter (61) and turned into a flashback in this episode.
Drake1000Jul 2, 2016 12:38 PM
Jul 2, 2016 12:37 PM
Nov 2013
I could see why they skipped some chapters, cause like someone said, it would've been weird starting a hype season with a breather episode.

So happy this is back! Megumi vs Ryo next.
Jul 2, 2016 12:41 PM

May 2015
So they cut straight to the chase, and we immediately got to see the first match. That was pretty damn good. Decent start.

Jul 2, 2016 12:41 PM

Aug 2014
Impressive as always! Looking foward to watching the next episode ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jul 2, 2016 12:51 PM

Sep 2010
I felt like this episode was little bit rushed but I can see that they simply wanted to start the next season without cliffhangers. Hopefully though the next episodes won't follow the suit.

All in all though... it's great to see this anime back. Even though I know what will happen, and who will win where this is still really enjoyable to watch.

Well this is nothing unexpected though. The only sad part is that it's only 13 episodes while I think that there is enough manga material for more than that.

With 13 episodes though I guess that they will finish the tournament and then there will be 'working arc' which will end the second series in a really great place for the start of the third one.
Jul 2, 2016 12:51 PM
Nov 2015
A few parts seemed a bit rushed and they did skip a part, otherwise it was an overall good first episode.
Jul 2, 2016 12:56 PM

Mar 2016
It was a little fast to me but still great.
But I guess with only 13 episode they gonna rush if they want to have the time to introduce Stagiaire Week.

unique-96 said:

Yes, the manga is just awesome. You might like it if you love the anime.
Jul 2, 2016 12:57 PM

Jul 2015
JC Staff didn't lose time. It went straight to the tournament. Nice to have more episodes anyway.
Jul 2, 2016 1:02 PM
Feb 2016
This was a delicious episode, Alice vs Souma was unexpected to me.

Each of them showed their talents but once again Souma proved just unpredictable he truly is and outwitted Alice.

That scene with the judges dancing was just so funny I burst into laughter xD
Jul 2, 2016 1:15 PM

Jan 2011
Ya like others said, I'm not a manga reader and I can tell the pace was upped (stuff was skipped). I'm not one to say anime must equal manga. The word "adaptation" refutes that. In any case, the 13 episodes fence is going to hurt this.

I did not feel the tension like previous season during the battle. Dunno if that was intentional or because of the upped pace. I will say that if that feelings persists, this will not be special like the previous installment.
Jul 2, 2016 1:16 PM

Mar 2016
I haven't read the manga yet, but I do agree that it felt a bit rushed. Which is a bit disappointing, but still I didn't dislike the episode. Best moments were when Soma & Alice were talking to each other.

Megumi vs. Ryou hype! Though the outcome has already been spoiled (I assume?) by the opening...sigh I really don't like it when the opening/ending spoil the whole show/arc, it's rather annoying when they do that. All well, still gonna watch anyway lol.
Jul 2, 2016 1:20 PM
Dec 2013
they skip everything and i do think that they'll only animate the match part and skipped most of the scene
Jul 2, 2016 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
Right into the action, interesting.
Good first episode for the season.
Jul 2, 2016 1:24 PM

Feb 2015
Predictable outcome but it had to be. Very good episode, and I'm glad they didn't go through a long recap. Maybe it would have been good to see some suspension or preparation for it though. It was a little rushed.
Jul 2, 2016 1:24 PM
Mar 2016
bwaaa such a good episode, it went straight into it rather than dilly dallying around, so happy for souma, can't wait for next week
Jul 2, 2016 1:26 PM

Dec 2014
Wow I didn't expect Alice vs Souma to go by that fast.
The fact that it's only 13 episodes only worries me of what's to come.

Also what the hell was that new ending lmao
Jul 2, 2016 1:27 PM

Jun 2016
I finally watch him. It was to fast. I'm disappointed, but I'm eager to see the second episode
Jul 2, 2016 2:14 PM

Sep 2014
Whew this episode sure went by fast, I really enjoyed it, and got myself a bit drunk too lol.
I really liked the Souma and Alice interactions, so cute, especially when she gave young Alice the bento :3
Gotta love Alice's expressions <3
Didn't expect Alice would get eliminated right on the first episode though.
Both dishes looked amazing! but still Souma's will touch your heart.

Great start for the new season, I'm really looking forward to seeing Megumi vs Ryo!
Jul 2, 2016 2:15 PM

Sep 2014
I enjoyed it, but It felt really fast. Like there was no suspense or tension, it just sort of happened...?
Jul 2, 2016 2:16 PM

Jun 2016
Is it safe to assume that each episode will be uploaded every Saturday? ^^
Jul 2, 2016 2:25 PM

Oct 2012
Great start! I actually didn't they would start right off the bat. And it was blast!
Jul 2, 2016 2:27 PM

Dec 2012
Gee,did it really have best girl to be the first to go out of the picture? Souma's always and always going to win so no surprise here but damn,way to take out my Alice..

The OP song is even more shounen-ish generic and uninteresting,compared to S1 where both were very nice,but ehh

Oh nice,after this salty episode the next one is gonna be sweet for me! Fingers crossed for Megumi to fucking lose already
Jul 2, 2016 2:33 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great way to start the new season, I'm so excited!

Also, this face is pure bliss.

The wait for next week is so painful that I cant "Stand" it.
Jul 2, 2016 2:33 PM
Sep 2013
Loved it. I don't know how anyone can give this show 1 star
Jul 2, 2016 2:40 PM
Jul 2015
The pacing felt fine.

Parts were clearly omitted (never read the manga), but I could tell. They made good use of flash backs during the food explanation to fill in the missing parts though.

Them going to a children's place to cook for little kids is more of filler than anything, and im glad it wasn't put into the show as a big piece.

All in all, pacing felt suitable, and im sure it will begin to slow down as the tournament goes on. First episode needs to meet the expected hype.

I think the breakdown will be like this:

(8 chefs remaining) Quarter finals- 4 episodes - 1 for each battle.
(4 chefs remaining) Semi finals - 4 - 2 for each battle
(2 chefs remaining) Finals - 3 - 3 episodes for final battle.

The remaining 2 episodes will probably be used 1 for "preparation" of the final battle. And 1 episode to end the season off.
NexMALJul 2, 2016 2:46 PM
Jul 2, 2016 2:41 PM
Apr 2015
way too rushed and that makes me worried. worried that this will turn out like SAO season 2. JC Staff would benefit from watching the stuff they make. it'll remind them what made shokugeki season 1 great.

really hope they're not gonna ruin it by skipping things here, glossing over things there.

in fact, i hope this season stops at the beginning of stagaire. have soma show up at shinomiya's door and end it right there. i want quality, i want backstory, i want buildup, i want tension. all things that this episode lacked.

don't let your nostalgia for season 1 cloud your mind. this episode is one giant red flag.
I only give 3 ratings on any show I watch

10 = Enjoyed it

5 = Average

1 = Hated it
Jul 2, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2015
Loved that. I wouldn't really complain about a fast pace in the first episode since it would make more sense to have a fast start to the season
Jul 2, 2016 2:44 PM

Jan 2016
I kinda want to see the scene with Megumi and Souma before episode 1. A lil bit disappointed they skipped it but its ok. 13 episodes only so they want to make most out of it but still Shokugeki no souma will always be one of my fav animes
Jul 2, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 2015
rongabiola said:
I kinda want to see the scene with Megumi and Souma before episode 1. A lil bit disappointed they skipped it but its ok. 13 episodes only so they want to make most out of it but still Shokugeki no souma will always be one of my fav animes

OVA in the future maybe.
Jul 2, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2016
Was kinda rushed, but a promising first episode.
Wonder how much of the manga will the season cover
Jul 2, 2016 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit I would of been able to feel the messed up pacing even if I hadn't started reading the manga, there was absolutely no build up to the Alice v. Souma matchup and it felt like at the beginning every scene they could possibly rush through or skip was rushed through or skipped. Not a very good way to start the season imo.
Jul 2, 2016 3:12 PM

Dec 2012
Fantastic first episode to get the 2nd season started. Great to see Souma, Megumi & so many familiar faces once again. OP song is good & the art & animation is on point.

Souma taking on Alice with a Bento theme.
I just love Souma's confidence & laid back nature. Alice's Bento looks so good applying her Molecular Gastronomy techniques.
But gotta give it to Souma's Nori Bento. It was full of surprises & got better & better. He even used Alice's techniques.
Lol all the judges dancing in the field.

Congrats Souma. Next week Megumi vs Ryou.
Cannot wait to see more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 2, 2016 3:15 PM

Mar 2014
Hated it.

For me a rushed episode is a cardinal sin for any anime, and Im sad to see a great show decide to throw out any real character development, dramatic tension, and build up for foodgasms. In the fast pacing of this episode they lost the charm of the shokugeki, where after working for hours testing recipes Souma finds a crucial hint at the last second only to be revealed in the midst of the shokugeki.

I hope they do not continue rushing the series, but since there are only 13 episodes I have little hope that they will reach the quality the last season had.
But that's just one opinion.
Jul 2, 2016 3:28 PM

May 2012
Damn, Alice is incredibly sexy! Just seeing her foodgasm was enough for me to give this episode a 5! :D
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Jul 2, 2016 3:33 PM

Sep 2011
unique-96 said:
Anime for presentation and the colorfulness, while the manga is better for pacing.
Jul 2, 2016 3:44 PM
Jul 2015
Was good. Seems like only the kindergarten part was skipped from the manga to anime, and instead the end thing (candy) was added as flashback. Really looked forward to this match, wasn't disappointed. Hope next one will be just as good or better.
Jul 2, 2016 3:44 PM

May 2015
I am so happy to be watching this hyped anime as it airs! Ah, not too long ago I was frantically watching all of Season 1 and falling in love with it. Though this fast-paced episode tried really hard to live up to the hype. And it was pretty successful, considering the fact this anime is currently rated 12th overall here on MAL.

But... I have to say it lacked some of the charm Season 1 had. A slow pace is more suited for Shokugeki no Souma. Sure, it had those nice foodgasms and delicious dishes, but there was obviously less build up. As a non-manga reader, it's kind of sad I was able to notice that.

The main problem is probably the whole 13 episodes thing. It would have made so much more sense to make it 2 cours, like the first season. I get that J.C. Staff is working on quite a few other shows this season, but honestly, they dug their own grave. I actually would have been fine waiting longer for the second season if it kept the exact same quality as the first season.

Okay, it's probably bad to be complaining this much, so I'll end on a more hopeful note. I'm gonna cross my fingers that the fast pace was only for the purpose of living up to hype. And I hope that next week J.C. Staff delivers the Shokugeki no Souma we all know and love.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 2, 2016 3:53 PM
Aug 2013
DAMN SON! i like Alice now and we get to see her past! a lovable character not tsundere and has an interesting personality, great episode looking forward to megumi vs the eyebags dude
Jul 2, 2016 3:58 PM

Dec 2015
I was actually surprised. Soma vs Alice right off the get go was too much for me. Though it makes sense since this season only has 13 episodes. Still I loved the intensity and hype during this ep. 5/5
Jul 2, 2016 3:59 PM

Jun 2013
I'm hungry and turned on again. Yup this is what I remembered.
Jul 2, 2016 4:06 PM

Apr 2016
This looks like it'll be better than it's predecessor, I sure hope so because S1 was a big pile of fun(yes i mean that in a positive way).
currently in a state of denial
Jul 2, 2016 4:06 PM

May 2010
Wow that was fast...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 2, 2016 4:15 PM

Jan 2015
It was a good episode but it was going too fast.
Jul 2, 2016 4:24 PM

Aug 2011
Really happy that Soma is back because I loved season 1 but this episode just felt too fast! Pacing feels very rushed like it's missing parts from the manga out, adding that it's only 13 eps and not even the neat 'preview' clip made out of meat from S1. The OP felt generic and I didn't like the song choice.

It looks like S2 is getting straight to the point with these cooking matches and I'm not sure this season will be great or not tbh.
Jul 2, 2016 4:53 PM

Apr 2016
Arvanitis said:
Where did you watch it? :'(

OMG !!! I fucking loved the episode.
And i basically watched it on KissAnime!!!
Jul 2, 2016 5:01 PM

Mar 2014
I haven't reached this part of the manga yet but it felt rushed, I guess it can't be helped considering it's only 13 episodes. (probably not even JC Staff's decision)

The visuals were very impressive though
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2016

203 by Boring_Rose »»
Apr 5, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

152 by j2ez2 »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

235 by dspr »»
Jul 12, 2023 3:53 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2016

141 by dspr »»
Jul 12, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

155 by dspr »»
Jul 12, 2023 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.